Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Irish Rail Intercity, Commuter and DART Timetable Public Consultation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The problem isn’t a lack of applicants, it’s a backlog in the training program as explained in my earlier post above. It’s a lengthy process (at least one year).

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

It's fantastic to see Ireland finally waking up to the potential of rail.

The changes proposed here, as well as the additional changes envisaged / acknowledged following improved driver resource, are a credit to Irish Rail and to the Green Party.

These changes could have happened decades ago. It's not a coincidence they are finally happening while the Green Party and Eamon Ryan are in government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

It's great to see the changes Irish Rail are making to the timetable. The Nenagh line is my local line and even that line has seen improvements to the service for once.

We already knew it but the automation of the 13 remaining gate keeper crossings on the Nenagh line will have to be sorted for their to be any increase in services on the line.

The number of hours gate keepers can work is an issue apparently. Hopefully the funding can be found to carry out an automation project sooner rather than later. 2 of the 13 are already partially automated apparently so hopefully that will reduce costs required.

Trains will be back running on the line from Monday. After that, once the final welding is complete, the track renewal project should be fully complete prior to the introduction of the new timetable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Not sure if this is sarcastic or not? It must be because this is nothing but a bit of tinkering around the edges- the later evening trains are all still sorely lacking and there’s practically no major investment in the infrastructure like passing loops etc or even dual track to Expand capacity. We’ve had a dose of the Greens in government now for long periods and all they’ve managed to do is expand the nanny state and tax ordinary citizens even more. No metro, no new rail lines. Nothing radical at all

Dart+ West, Dart+ South West, Metrolink, BusConnects, Connecting Ireland, Cork Rail Network expansion, Limerick Rail Network planning.

Seriously?

The majority of which are still nice pretty plans. I’ll try imagine myself on the metro from city centre to the airport- that might work?

You can’t add more trains without the drivers or the rolling stock as I’ve explained above.

But they are both coming - it just takes a long time unfortunately to train new drivers and procure & commission new rolling stock. New drivers are being trained and the first of the additional 41 intermediate coaches for the Intercity railcars have been delivered.

The Nenagh line has been fully relaid, a loop at Oranmore is in the pipeline and IE are pushing for the dual-tracking of Limerick Junction-Killonan.

The All Island Strategic Rail Review is due to be published shortly and that will be the driver for more investment.

The first time the Greens were in power was during the worst recession this country ever faced. This time around they are only 2.5years into their term and there are plans and actions in every corner of the Island.

What more do you expect from Eamon Ryan - to have personally built new rail lines during the last 30 months in the midst of a global pandemic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Dublin / Waterford - THE "SERVICE" IS EVEN MORE ABYSMAL, I THOUGHT "LESSONS WOULD HAVE BEEN LEARNED" ABOUT OVERCROWDING DURING COVID!!! I WAS HOPING FOR TOO MUCH.

• Existing 07:00 hrs Waterford/Heuston will be advanced to 06:50 hrs and call additionally at Kilkenny. There will be no change to arrival time at Heuston. Great for Kilkenny commuters, not so good for everyone else, particularly those who get on after Kilkenny. I get on at Athy and most of the time seats booked by Athy passengers are already occupied. If this train is even more packed it means the corridors and aisles will be packed to pre-COVID levels and more.
    • New 08:26 hrs Dublin to Carlow service, calling at Newbridge, Kildare, Athy and Carlow. This doesn't seem to be very well received but at least it will get people to later lectures in Carlow.
    • New 10:15 hrs Carlow to Dublin service, calling at Athy, Kildare, Newbridge and Heuston. Not much use for commuters but good for people with early afternoon hospital appointments and might take some pressure off the 07:50 Waterford to Heuston service.

A morning service that starts in Carlow around 7:30am and gets into Heuston at around 8:30am would be helpful. It could stop in Athy and maybe another station on the way as well. If that morning service could start in Waterford it would be better still because the current service is not adequate. More people have to return to the office instead of working from home. Most students studying in Dublin commute because accommodation in Dublin is too expensive. The Waterford line has been woefully neglected for years. When will this change?

• Advertisement

the last few times I’ve gotten the train from Kilkenny I’ve noticed it gets pretty full now from there. People in Carlow onwards really struggle to get a seat and certainly little luxury of picking where you want to sit. In reality the line needs at minimum an hourly service, perhaps more at peak commute times. That time in Kilkenny is going to be seriously popular as it leaves 7.30 and arrives in Dublin 9.00am- that will suit a lot of people.

The lack of later evening services is a particular Achilles heel but not unique to the Waterford line of course.

It’ll change when there are sufficient drivers and rolling stock available.

There is no rolling stock available to add extra peak hour trains at the moment.

More drivers are being trained, but it will take time to add services as it takes over a year to pass out a driver.

If the service was equally bad on all intercity trains I would accept this explanation but it is not. Services on other lines have been improved over the years but Waterford line customers get fobbed off with excuses and overpriced fares. Overcrowding is getting dangerous on the 06:45 (formerly 07:00) from Waterford since Kilkenny was incorporated into the itinerary.

It is not acceptable to ask people to pay so much to stand for over an hour twice a day.

Why is Irish Rail deliberately running down the Waterford line when there is such demand for the service but fund other lines? People from Sallins and Naas pay a reduced rate and get a great selection of trains. People in Newbridge and Kildare pay full fare but get a fantastic service. The Portlaoise service is much better than the service on the Waterford line with more frequent trains.

The service is so bad that there are people in Athy who drive 30 minutes to Kildare to get the train to Dublin rather than walk 10 minutes up the road to suffer the Waterford line. Not very environmentally friendly but if there is no adequate service what else is there to do?

Would Irish Rail be willing to reduce fares for regular travellers on the Waterford line until an adequate service is provided? I think this is reasonable. The excuse "reduced fares will increase demand" won't wash because the trains are full to capacity including aisles and spaces between carriages already!

The people who really suffer are those in Carlow and Athy. People from Kildare onwards have a decent choice of trains.

Agree with this. I don’t think the Waterford trains should be stopping in both Kildare and newbridge- while I get it’s important for connections and newbridge is a big town in it’s own right - though I guess that still doesn’t help Carlow athy much. The new late morning service will hopefully ease some of that pressure

The Waterford line has actually improved a lot from what it was. It’s somewhat different to the other lines are it has a few larger urban centres that generate a lot of traffic in their own right. It really does need more services

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

they would in their hoop.

south eastern passengers get nothing and will get nothing, we are not wanted but are just tolerated.

nobody to stand up for us and irish rail are a law on to themselves and do what they do because they can.

forget about the NTA they couldn't give a toss either, just more management to manage the management and so on and shur you know the rest.

anyway my genuine sympathy to you and the other waterford passengers.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

The regulated fares (i.e. the booking office fares) on the Dublin/Waterford line are already on the lowest Intercity fare scale (lower than the Dublin to Cork and Dublin to Galway routes) reflecting the historically poorer service levels.

Sallins & Naas is within 35km of Dublin and as such is on the Dublin suburban fares matrix. Changing that distance any further would be a political decision as it would require a lot of extra funding.

Like it or not there are three practical limiting factors in terms of operations on the Waterford route right now:

1) Trains running through Kilkenny cannot be any longer than six coaches long due to infrastructure issues there

2) There is no spare rolling stock available to add extra peak hour trains and that won’t change until the new orders being built are commissioned into service starting later next year

3) There’s still a shortage of drivers that is limiting what extra trains can be added across the network even where the rolling stock is available which means you are only seeing small incremental changes

i would strongly suspect that the NTA will want to increase service levels on the line when they can, but there’s not much that they can do right now at the times you’re concerned with, which are peak times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Interestingly it is party policy of both FF and FG to extend the short hop zone. It must be the Greens holding them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I just checked a timetable and Dublin to Waterford is roughly 2h 30min, very similar is the intercity bus. Train is 13-14 Eur while a bus is 12 Eur. I think we can close this train line for a few years and use trains on other lines. Private coach companies would be more than happy to jump in the market.

this is absolute nonsense straight out of the 1960s and was destroyed even back then.

waterford has already got plenty of private coach operations and yet the train line is heavily used.

guess what, close the train line and all you will do is mostly increase car traffic, because even if the private coach companies stepped in, they won't get much more then they are already getting since if the rail passengers felt the coach was more suitable they would already be using it.

you also won't free up very much trains.

2022 and people are still parroting this crap.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

Why do Waterford people use a train instead of a coach, can someone explain as I genuinely don't understand?

But that railway doesn’t exist to serve just Waterford people.

It’s people from Athy, Carlow, Bagnelstown, Kilkenny and Thomastown too.

Many people prefer the train than a coach for a whole variety of reasons. More space, a table to work at, accessibility, easily accessible toilets, etc.

There is no plan whatsoever to start closing any railway lines, especially ones when the existing trains are full. The political fallout of that would be suicidal, so forget it!

So we have a very sick train line which we refuse to kill and end the suffer but rather all watch being tortured and do nothing. No problem.

That trains on that railway line are very busy - why would you ever close it? The only problem that the line has is that it hasn’t enough trains!

I am finding very hard to take these posts seriously.

You clearly haven’t got a clue about how busy the trains on the route are, coming up with an idea off the top of your head, which, and I cannot emphasise this enough, would be political suicide for any government to even think of.

Even if we rolled with it, where would you find all those buses from? Most bus operators are struggling to get staff as it is, let alone fill in a void of that magnitude.

I clearly said temporarily close - until things improve and a proper service can be rolled out... At least ticket prices could be increased to take the pressure off.

again, why would we do that given the trains are busy?

if we close it temporary then given the coach companies cant get staff and there are now no trains that means increased car traffic which makes things worse for the coach users.

so you have taken away capacity and thrown it on to the roads ultimately for nothing because closing it until things improve rather then keeping it open and improving things delivers nothing.

I completely understand that, and I understand my suggestions are a bit off, but they reflect the reality. What's the point to keep a not properly functioning system. A managerial decision has to be made: increase the fares, reduce the stations to focus on the main problem at Waterford etc. Was there at least an attempt to fix this?

With all due respect, you’re basing your idea on the postings of one single person who travels to/from the first station on the line.

I think you need a bigger and more balanced sample size before coming to the conclusion that the railway line is broken.

There isn’t a problem at Waterford and I don’t know why you think there is.

off? they are completely and utterly stupid and address and solve absolutely nothing since the problem on the line is there isn't enough trains and there isn't enough carages on the trains that exist which won't be addressed by any sort of closure.

anyway we are done here as there is nothing to discuss further.

Stupid? Nice attitude. You need to calm down here.

• Advertisement

i'm very calm thanks, don't worry.

no i just call and say things as i see them as others will tell you.

The Waterford line is not dying (pretty far from it) it’s actually a victim of its own success as the numbers using it have grown massively. It would be unthinkable to close it. Very little relative investment would do massive improvement

You clearly never sat on the N7/M7 and crawled into Dublin on a wet commuter morning have you? Else you wouldn’t be asking this ridiculous question

There’s a ton of room at Kilkenny station- seems frankly ridiculous that if there’s an issue with the platforms that they cannot be extended if that’s what’s needed.

This is exactly why I'm asking, Mr Smarty Pants. Your unwelcoming cheeky answers shows you're being annoyed by these questions.

Nothing to do with the platforms. It’s the track and signalling positions to the east.

You would need to replace the bridge to the east to allow space for additional track work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Or the cheaper alternative built a proper accessible footbridge. Its just terible decision made considering we are only talking 20 -25 meters.

Granted there was no 7 ICRs operating then however it was only a few years later the same people taught there was no need for an ICR longer than 4 cars. Total disconnect within the organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭densification

We will have 22 x 6 car ICR units when then 41 new intermediate carriages are in service. We currently have 10 x 5 Car ICR units.

What they do in the UK- all the time, as a work around short platforms they tell passengers for say Kilkenny to sit in coaches 1-6. It's regularly announced on board. Can't see why IR cannot do this too.

• Advertisement

The ICR fleet isn’t fitted with selective door opening sadly. That would require a major modification programme to the entire fleet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

didn't they put a tender out for that a few years back and received no responses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

apologies for stupid ideas here. But I keep seeing ICRs on cork-dublin . Why not replace these with mk4 sets and just run more waterford trains . I thought they'd brought all the mk4 sets back from mothball ( or do I have that right ? ) or is that there isnt enough double track sections to run more sets ?

as far as i know they don't have enough mark 4 sets to run the hourly service full stop.

i think all of them are back now, but 1 generally is in maintenence and then there is a short spare set.

of course when ordering them in the first place one would surely have thought about an hourly service and planned accordingly, even with the mk3s in service at the time which presumably they knew years earlier they were going to withdraw early.

but it sounds like they didn't and we are, where we are, like a lot of bad decisions that were made for which passengers are being sold short, some more then others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭combat14

the lack of late evening/night trains to places such as portlaoise which is only 40 mins from dublin is shocking, eamon ryan would want to wake up and get his finger out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ah @endoftheroad we will have less of that forward planning. Why break a long tradition of acting first and thinking second.

on the Mk4 sets how many full sets do IR have when all in service ? I passed Kent station in cork on Christmas Day going for a walk and there were three there(two in the through platforms) and one in the yard. There’s always a spare 201 in cork which shows that IR do think ahead in some cases.

• Advertisement

from what i can gather there are 67 mk4 coaches but i don't know the exact configurations.

it will either be 8 sets of 8 with 7 in service, 1 in maintenence and 3 spare coaches.

or 9 sets of 7 with 8 in service, 1 in maintenence and 4 spare coaches.

doesnt 7 in service give enough to run an hourly though ? The MK4s were in service before the ICRs running it so it must be possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭TranslatorPS

There should be 8 MkIV sets.

Unfortunately I don't have the current diagrams at hand, but in the 2017 WTT, I only found five MkIV diagrams in service... Keeping in mind that this could have been at a time when less sets were available.

In that same timetable, some of the Dublin/Cork services were ICR operated, as they looped in with the Cork/Mallow/Tralee services. A 4-car ICR would have [day 1] gone down as the 21.00 A230 service to stable in Cork, [day 2] forming the 6.25 A300 to Tralee, doing two laps of Mallow and one of Cork, stabling in Tralee, [day 3] doing three laps of Mallow (with a Mallow/Cork commuter in the morning), before finishing as the 19.05 A315 and stabling in Cork, [day 4] to form the 5.50 A203 to Dublin. The direct Dublin/Tralee services were 5-car in that timetable, and as such should not have mixed with the Cork services, doing the 17.05 A312 down, stabling, and the 7.05 A303 up the next morning.

With the amount of changes in the last five years though, who knows how much of this may still be applicable to anything.

they were but remember the mk3 were still in service when they arrived and were so until a few years later.

after that i can't remember if the mk4 did fully run the hourly service, they might have but i can't remember.

i think it is possible but that is going on a very rough diagram based on the advertised journey times and train times + turn around times, so i can't guarantee any accuracy.

ie's own web page looks like there's only 5 mk4 sets out and about see https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/About-Us/Iarnrod-Eireann-Fleet/interCity-Fleet

this does not square with p1 of this thread where IE state the full fleet is being utilised so no more room for peak services

• Advertisement
Advertisement