Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staff Shortages in Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Indeed, but Irish students are not loss leaders to attract foreign students to Irish courses to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Nurses might receive some pay while on placement.

Do apprentices not actually get paid for the classroom parts of their training as it is?

If an apprentice wants to go to college full time instead, they can do construction related course instead

No country educates people to the highest level possible for the benefit of other countries,

There are a good few countries which provide free education to anyone, including foreign students

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Not very free market, is it Donald?

When was this system last updated.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Not sure what all the whinging is about apprenticeships.

Plenty I know - and some of them the most useless clowns you could ever meet - who were able to put up with the system, qualify and have been excellent trades since.

I also know a few who couldn't hack doing the physical side of it and a few who thought they should have been making 'executive' decisions after a month.

It is what it is, if you can't hack it that is most likely down to you and no one else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I sound like an oul lad, but I don't think this attitude is unique to tradesmen

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

"Might receive some pay while on placement"

fucking lol

If apprentices were treated half as well as our nurses we'd be churning out a surplus (as is the case with nurses)

the benefits afforded to the public sector are incredible compared to the private.

80% of the pay of an actual qualified nurse and an extra 300 quid per week for accommodation and a bunch of extra allowances!!!

"But sure nurses are treated terribly by the govt." - literally everyone who laps up the INMO's poor women nurses propaganda

Now compare that to what apprentices get...and no degree at the end of it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Who cares where I pay tax? Of course I pay it there because I live there and avail of the benefits of living there.

Ireland doesn’t educate them to encourage companies to stay, they do it so their citizens can have a bright future, wether that is in Ireland or elsewhere. There is no obligation to stay at all, if a country wants people to stay, as this thread has pointed out, they need to do a lot more than education.

Even your last suggestion, that’s like a random on students or a penalty that if you want an education you better stay…if you don’t, we’ll pay up. Just watch the number of people never bother, and even at that the cost benefit of moving would still be there.

So your suggestion has mrs holes in it than Swiss cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If someone thinks being an apprentice is hard with things like using a brush. Good luck becoming a nurse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Lot of misunderstanding here about trades

You're getting fairly well paid to learn .4 years later you can walk away and start earning good money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Four years is a large chunk out of a persons life & then trying to establish yourself takes time also.

How much will property have increased by in those intervening years should they wish to purchase their own home?

If I had my life to live over agsain I would have had a trade & I would have left this country.

Apply that to anyone who does a degree as well. Wether it be design, engineering, teaching, whatever.

Just because you have a qualification doesn’t mean it’s plain sailing thereafter, for tradespeople or otherwise.

All I'm hearing is people aren't willing to serve their time on the bottom rung. I can appreciate its not easy and perhaps not viable with today's cost of living.

I'm puzzle why if things are so bad. Why people don't leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

An apprentice is getting an education ,training and a valuable qualification and will likely walk away after that input from the employer

Takes time and patience from an employer

It's not as simple as saying they're underpaid slaves

I hate stupid comments like this.

Not everyone is in a position to leave so easily. Cop on.

I also hate stupid comments like this.

People left in the past. When arguably it was bigger decision and harder.

Would you like to compare workplace injuries in construction verses nursing?

Do you think the apprecntices dont do all the dangerous work I mentioned previously?

How? That’s a generalisation that it was bigger and harder. How do you know? Are you clued in on how every individual person felt?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,919 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Commoner

We have a shortage of Doctors because the Irish Government refuses to open more Schools of Medicine in our Universities, and gives too much autonomy to the Deans of Medicine whereby the Deans are allowed to set admission policies that enroll too many non-EU students because these students pay more tuition money which in turn means less places for Irish/EU Students in Medical Schools. For example, in 2009, most Irish Schools of Medicine introduced GAMSAT exams for Irish/EU students that didn't previously have enough points to secure a place at Medical School due to the shortage of Medical Schools in Ireland and as a result had to complete a relevant primary degree - all because there aren't enough Medical Schools and too many non-EU students are being enrolled at the expense of Irish/EU students.

Academic autonomy under the 1997 act needs to be curtailed because Universities are inclined make a business case for many of their course admissions policies which tends to favour those who pay higher tuition fees (a form of discrimination in my opinion). All public Universities should never be for-profit model. They are public state-owned institutes and their staff are on the public payroll and should be accountable to the public who pays their wages.

Fair enough. If you want to be equal with the nurses we can decrease a final year apprenticeship salary from 90% (what they currently get) to 80% (what your own article shows that nurses get)

The difference in mobility, cost, communication is vast. The world is much smaller place then it was.

But yeah "feelings" lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The requirement for wheelchair accessibility for new vehicles still means that less than a quarter of the taxi fleet is wheelchair accessible, a long way off the situation in London or many other cities. If you speak to wheelchair users, you'll know that getting an accessible taxi is extremely difficult at the best of time, so we really need wheelchair accessibility to be the default, not the exception. The requirement on new vehicles supported by the WAV grant is a fairly painless way of achieving this over time.

Every taxi driver has got a 75% mark or better on a geography exam on their local area. Not everyone with communication difficulties can type, so thanks for proving my point there. Every driver is trained on dealing with people with disabilities, understanding Equal Status laws, understanding legal obligations about guide dogs and additional equipment.

Uber has nothing to offer us, other than an increased number of unvetted, unregulated drivers dealing with vulnerable people in vulnerable situations. We have many existing taxi licences going unused, because there isn't a decent living to be made by driving and even renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Commoner

No. it shouldn't be made easier to issue more non-European visas to South Africa. Too many have been allowed come here and we haven't vetted many of those people coming here and it's also too easy to come here. South Africans wanting to visit the UK have needed a visa since 2009 amid concerns over citizens from neighbouring African nations obtaining South African passports too easily and then entering the UK without requiring a visa, on forged or stolen South African passports. What you're proposing would almost certainly leave to a surge of visa overstayers and illegal-migrants. The UK would kick us out of the Common Travel Area and the EU would also impose border checks on Irish passport holders if we make it any easier for non-EU migration here. There are security and safety risks also because Ireland does not properly vet most non-EU arrivals for a Police Certificate of Good Character other than a self-declaration!

You looking for danger money for sweeping a floor? Farming has worse stats. I'd still do both over nursing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

So you've never used Uber or Lyft then? The only people I've ever heard complaining about Uber is country bumpkins afraid of technology or taxi drivers afraid of competition.

If there's no money in Uber and it's a race to the bottom then why is it so successful in other countries? And if there's no money in it then taxi drivers should have nothing to fear.

And every driver being trained to deal with people with disabilities, understanding Equal Status laws, understanding legal obligations about guide dogs and additional equipment is laughable. The amount of taxis I've come across lately who cannot operate something as simple as a debit/credit card machine would suggest they would be beyond useless at dealing with an individual with a disability.

Knowledge of a local area for a driver is redundant thanks to Google maps. That argument is actually laughable.

You're ignoring my retorts re safety and efficiency of Uber by the way. The technology makes them far safer and superior to jumping into a taxi you flag down on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Workers should start withdrawing labour, until the outrageous cost of living is addressed...

• Advertisement

Equal with nurses? So you think the apprentices get an internationally accreddited degree and secure public sector jobs with DB pensions? I think they'd quite like that. Might even be good for the country to have a public sector staffed with construction workers instead of pen pushers.

Advertisement