Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭decies

Gunners need goals in second half . Big effort now for 30 mins plus

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Socky playing a blinder between the posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not going Ballygunners way

Balls it's the hope that kills

Ballyhale fully deserved of the win and definitely hot favourites to get back the title

Ballygunner have nothing to be ashamed about and will definitely regroup

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

Ballyhale well deserved winners. SOKY unbelieveable but that's a testament to how many goal chances Ballyhale created.

For Ballygunner; 2 points in the first 25 minutes of second half tells it's own story. I couldnt' make out the adjustment made at half time by Ballyhale but BG half back line had no time on the ball in the second half and were unable to hit those lovely diagonal balls into the corners where Dessie and Fitzgerald were picking off easy points in the first half. On top of this the half back line got cleaned out in the air at times in the second half and didn't have the pace to scramble after Ballyhale had won clean ball. BG get more out of their half back line and they when this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭decies

Best team won alright . Maybe am a bit over critical thought the gunners didn’t commit enough in the forwards . Seemed to be totally outnumbered feeding for scraps up there , seemed to fall into a Waterford trap too conservative in the business end . At the end of the day although it ends in failure , it’s being a hell of a year for them . We are on to Davy Fitz!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Ballyhale the better team by a big. Ballygunner should never have agreed to a pitch where Ballyhale had played their 2 previous matches. Croke Park is a big advantage to Kilkenny teams. That whole thing was naive. Plus there's been alot of pats on the backs for Ballygunner since the Na Piarsaigh match. The article in d'paper took the biscuit. Saying all that the beat team won.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Sorry but that is absolute horsesh1t..ballygunner had the pacier forwards..ballyhale had several players the wrong side of 30... the wide open spaces of croke Park was an advantage to ballygunner ..the venue had nothing to do with the outcome..Ballygunner are an excellent team that got beaten by a better team today..

If only Davy can convince Soky to give it another go

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

It should be Davys first item on the agenda now that Ballygunner are knocked out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Close but no cigar.

No excuses please.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Rustyman101

No excuses, best team on the day won, some BG players didn't have a great day, that's life that's sport.

Hats off to Socky kept us in contention till the end what a keeper.

We had a few great days out the last few years no doubt will regroup and come back, thanks for the journey !

Next up Waterford.....

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

Would that be the same Croke Park where KK have lost the last 3 AI finals they’ve been in to Munster teams??

Limerick were about 10 points a better team than Kilkenny in this year's final. They only won by 2 partly because Croke Park is where Kilkenny play most of their matches. It's a game of inches as tired cliche goes. Waterford teams shouldn't be so accommodating. If it was say a Cork club they wouldn't have played that semi final game in Croke Park. That's a certainty. You always take a Kilkenny team out if Croke Park if you can.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

You can counter that by saying that on a wider pitch with good underfoot conditions Ballygunner should have been able to use their movement. Ballyhale were much bigger physically and a tighter softer pitch would have suited them better.

Ballygunner may need to look at their subs policy. By not giving the subs any game time for months aside from a couple of minutes at the end it was unfair to expect them to turn a game. Taking off Fitzgerald was a strange one too, especially as it looked like Shane Sullivan was flagging after a good 40/45 mins. Crokes showed how Ballyhale were caught by pace down the middle so I'd ask why they didn't move Billy O Keeffe in to the half back line and ask him to use his legs to go at Ballyhale. Both teams packed their defences so the direct ball in was always favouring the defenders with their extra numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Mary I v UL is on Youtube at 7:30 this evening. I haven't seen any teams but both would have Waterford players on their panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭seananigans

squads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

What relevance has a list of players from a UL squad got for this thread…??

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭kentu

You talk some tripe on every single thread, Limerick were slightly the best team on day and if game had to go another few minutes could ahave been a different conversation this winter as Limerick were flagging and all Kk's subs were making an impact.

• Advertisement

I hope I live long enough to see kilkenny win another all Ireland..just to see the reasons/excuses as per peggy shippen..if.its against limerick/ clare it may just blow his tiny mind

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Haven’t seen it mentioned here but there was a recent rule change at County Convention. Should Ballygunner win the Premier Intermediate next year they will have 2 senior teams the following year.

You were shouting for kilkenny id say. The old Stockholm syndrome. Haha.

Ah no come on. Who's talking nonsense now? Limerick were 6 up two or three times. They went 5 up again 5 mins from the end. Dropped Kyle Hayes back to stop a goal. Game over. Kilkenny got 3 points,waste of time. Limerick won and copperfastened their status as one of the great teams of all time. The only thing flagging is you, criticising genuine posters.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

You hope to see kilkenny win another All Ireland ahead of Limerick or Clare. Sad, unless your a Kilkenny man. If you're a Waterford man it's particularly sad

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Apologies to the Waterford fans on here who all know that if ballyhale and ballygunner met 50 times they would probably win 20 each and draw ten regardless of venue..its Sad I'm getting sucked into this but..

I am and always have been a proud kilkenny man so yes I would like them to win the all Ireland every year if possible..I don't mind who they beat to win..except maybe tipp as I live and work there now. ..I only mentioned limerick and clare because of our dual county peggy..

I believe the best team wins every match with very few exceptions so it annoys me when people make excuses.. to claim kilkenny got to within a couple of.points of limerick because of.game. being held in croke Park is ridiculous ..especially since limerick are.the most successful team.in croke Park of.the last 5 years

Anyway I'm.sure this will all be misinterpreted by our dual County friend..but as a wiser man than me once said..the best thing about your opinion is it doesn't matter

Apologies again for hijacking the Waterford thread..

Here's to next.year and some more exciting games

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

Kilkenny had 8 players who had never started an AI final whereas Limerick had none. That just might have had more significance than the venue. That Cork would avoid playing KK in CP if they could is ridiculous. And what CP had to do with the big Tipp victories in ‘16 & ‘19 is a real mystery.

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Pretty depressing to see Ballygunners second string under 20 team run away with the C’ county final against Cois Bride who are an amalgamation of 2 clubs, one of them Tallow is an established senior club with 40 years

Advertisement