Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Tom Delaney has been selected as Munster GAA Minor hurler of the year

Tom Delaney (Cahir not Carrick Swan) Score - Tipperary v Offaly - 2022 Hurling Final - YouTube

The Dillon Quirke Foundation has been launched. An ambitious and worthwhile project.

Fundraiser by The Quirke Family : Dillon Quirke Foundation (gofundme.com)

Padraic Maher is the new manager of Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is this his first ever management role?

Has he done coaching before?

He has been involved in Sars’ management teams before. First role as manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Surprised since he's a selector with Tipp next season.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

True but I'd imagine Sars aren't just going to start training in August.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Waterford v Tipperary moved to Mallow tonight at later time or 7.30pm. Dungarvan unplayable

• Advertisement

Who are the two commentating on this game? I've had to turn them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

Could be wrong but the analyst was called Shane so I think it was Shame Aherne he must have thought he was commentating for Waterford local radio extremely one sided the amount of times he had to change his tune after replays of incidents was unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

I'd imagine there could be 12 changes for the Clare game this weekend.

Have to settle for 9 changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Are they trying to make a Hegarty out of seamus Kennedy

I've seen Kennedy play in the forwards for St. Mary's more than a few times. I remember getting him six points from play against Lorrha but that's club level. There are many ways to play wing forward. I'd doubt anyone has mentioned Hegarty to him. If Kennedy can win ball and lay it off that would be worth the move.

I hope I don't see Forde out at 11 again anyway. He's an inside forward. Wasted out there.

Is Andrew Ormonde injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I see Tipperary are 14- 1 to win the all Ireland. I hope cahill pins that to the dressing room door!

For a team that got no win last year that's very poor. Should be at least 21-1 if not more.

Given the rebuilding stage most county teams are at, Limerick can only beat themselves. Another handy one for them this year. Unless, Clare or Kilkenny or Waterford can keep everyone fit and find serious form at the right time. Even at that Limerick would have to be unlucky with injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

21-1 ! I don't think I've ever seen a horse priced at 21-1. Anyway, this "rebuilding " or " in transition " is a load of crap. You never heard Cody, who oversaw 3 or4 overhauls of Kilkenny teams use that excuse. Forget about last year Cahill and Tipperary need to deliver this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 89tipp91

Probably only about 8 teams at a push that could win the all ireland, probably reflected in the odds

14/1 seems generous when you see Cork are 10/1

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Get a bit of momentum going and could have a deep run this year.

With competent management and the benefit of Bonnar introducing a number of players who at least now have a few championship games under their belt, I think we have a decent chance to be best of the rest.

I'm really impressed by the backroom structure, having Paudie and Tony Browne on board were good shrewd pickups.

There are heavy question marks over every county that isn't named Limerick.

Not much use looking at last year for form indicators given the absolute shambles that was our coaching set up. Improvement is guaranteed given that was so atrocious.

After last year, we won't know where players confidence really is until things start to go wrong in championship and we see how they react to that.

True, though you get plenty of chances to recover when things go wrong in this Championship format.

Our fitness was a genuine disgrace last year and that's one thing Cahill will be all over - hopefully he will have learned a thing or two about burnout also from last year. That should help even when things go wrong in games, to keep us plugging away until the 73rd minute.

When I said everyone had question marks other than Limerick, we are obviously included in that but there's no reason why we can't be best of the rest. And even for them, it's hard to keep mentally dialled in when you keep winning as we saw last year when they let some very average teams get so close - so there's a definite chance they could be caught.

Waterford had no wins in 2019. Cahill took them over when they were on the floor, the worst team in Munster, and brought them to an AI final in his first year (albeit with a different format). He has proven he can pick teams up off the ground quickly. Basically my point is I wouldn't be writing us off based on last year, and that we have every chance to have as good a season as Cork/Clare/Kilkenny/Galway

You make good points. And we do have good players. But we are in year 1. I'm pretty sure Lohan took over the Clare side around the same time as Cahill took Waterford. They're in year four, which has it's own pressures, but Lohan has them in a good place. They've gotten stronger each year. Shefflin should have Galway in a better place. Pat Ryan is very good. Egan is in year two with Wexford. That Waterford team should be in it's prime (whatever about Davy.) Lyng is highly rated and inherited all-ireland finalists. There are serious hurdles to be overcome. And I'm going to hold my expectations until I see how we perform down in Ennis and Cork in those two tough away games to begin championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I genuinely think there isn't much between the pack chasing Limerick, their a level ahead of everyone, the next group of teams its just about building confidence,consistency, momentum and timing your run, Galway for example really put it up to Limerick in the All Ireland semi final but in quarter final vs Cork and Leinster final were very poor, Clare were outstanding in Munster championship but were a disaster vs Kilkenny, these 2 like another 5 or 6 teams will be striving to play close to their potential most days.

And you'd be right to hold your expectations.

I'm just saying that there is every chance we could do very well this year, there's no reason we can't be in that best-of-the-rest cohort, and I wouldn't be writing us off based on last year. I wouldn't see much use in looking at last year for us.

You mention years in relation to the development of a team. I do think sometimes that can be used to alleviate poor performance, like does a Championship winning team really take 3-4 years to build? It's not an exact science. But I do know that people are always ready to give tremendous leeway to shocking performances/examples of terrible coaching as if because it's year 1 it doesn't matter - sure they don't need to win really until year 3. We don't know what the scene would look like in year 3 of Cahills project, we could have Pat Ryan bringing that huge underage group from Cork toward senior dominance. Maybe a Kilkenny change in management with fresh ideas gives them renewed drive.

Cahills best performance with Waterford was in Year 1 when everybody was expecting everything to come together last year in Year 3. If you let yourself off the hook with talk of development cycles of teams, you could easily finish your teams development cycle with absolutely nothing.

I don't like using examples in other sports but now we have such a perfect comparison. You look at Ten Hag with United at the moment. They were an absolute embarassment last season. Getting humiliated repeatedly, no effort, no plan. Sounds quite familiar. Now they look like they are a serious force and could possibly have a title challenge even? Who would have had that pegged last May. Others would have had them needing many years with him to get to this level. Competent coaching can make a tremendous difference in a really short space of time.

I don't even think the League will tell us much as Cahill will be weary of investing so much into it like last year, but he will be equally wary of needing to give a bit of momentum to a group of players who has forgotten about winning. A hard one for him to decide.

Anyway I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us still knocking around come July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Some great points made here. There's nothing stopping Tipperary having a very strong year this year. Cahill is that type of manager. He hits the ground running and his high octane type of gameplan can bring huge confidence. The issues arise when that fast transferring, off shoulder gameplan is met head on. Cahill never got a handle on Limerick and kept doing the same thing time after time. However I think Cahill could garner great momentum and goodwill if he keeps the good start going now.

We always say that the hurlers are in Tipperary. That's fine and there's plenty of hurlers of the same type. I don't see a Kyle Hayes or a Hegarty ..Kennedy might do a job but Tipp could do with a Bonar Maher type player at least

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Advertisement