Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ursula Von Der Leyen - addressing the Oireachtas yesterday. Opinions on her speech?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Okay, "under the thumb" is probably a bad phrase but this country was definitely quite under control for long stretches of time.

I think the subjugation had succeeded quite well post the Great Famine. The only reason the Empire gave us independence (following another fairly minor flare up of violence from the natives) was the rulers had genuinely "evolved" and improved somehwhat (IMO), edit: in their views of the Irish anyway if perhaps not others in the Empire. They really didn't want to (again) use the brutality that was needed to put down some of the previous (far larger and more serious I think?) Irish rebellions or indeed what we see Russians attempting in Ukraine or China in their restive regions with very few blushes, right up to present day.

I have to agree it was indeed the "modern" language for Ireland/Irish people and Irish offered few advantages because you wouldn't be doing very much "trading" (or law, or generally anything involving authorities of the day) if you could not speak any, given that Ireland was an English/latterly British colony!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No. The Empire had moved towards Dominion Status for large portions of it. India, Canada, South Africa and British Malaya were all Dominions. The issue in Ireland was Unionists' refusal to be part of an Irish, Catholic-dominated Home Rule Parliament. The last Irish rebellion which failed was the 1916 rising and that was savagely put down in the midst of WW1.

The Irish have always been viewed as inferior by the English. Even in the Brexit referendum, this was obvious. The spread of colonisers' languages is very common. There's a reason why many Moroccans speak French, Indians English, Malayasians and Singaporeans English, etc.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The minor flare up of violence I was referring to was the War of Independence, though I suppose 1916 is related. Again IMO the British actually were not as brutal in putting down rebellion in the Rising/War of Independence period compared to previous periods of Irish rebellion, for whatever reason. They decided not to crush it in that way (as you point out, I suppose they were already in process of or moving towards granting more self rule to other parts of the Empire anyway).

The spread of the coloniser's language in is common because their language is useful to know. Why is it useful? Well because they are the colonisers, the ruling power and they make the laws and set up the playing pitch. It is a chicken and egg thing and a power dynamic vs some kind of "free" consumer choice effect as it has been painted in some of the posts.

I do wonder if the demographic legacy of the plantations + the long period of British colonial settlement also hobbled the new Irish state from pursuing a far more aggressive + likely to be successful (say Israeli/Hebrew) type strategy to fully revitalise Irish on independence e.g. force its use in dealing with the state and authorities because that would have discriminated against protestants/remnants of the ascendency? Could also have caused more trouble integrating NI again (don't think the leading figures in the early Irish state expected NI would last as a separate entity in the way that it did). Don't know enough about the history/founding of the state to know if there is anything to that or sources that might shed light on it.

Anyway all this is a long long way off topic, kind of expected all these posts about the English language in Ireland would be nuked but anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The revival of Hebrew in Israel post-WWII only happened because they had people arriving from all over Europe who had no common language. In Ireland everyone was already able to speak English.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

No, I don't think I will blame the impoverished people just trying to get by under a Colonial force who sought the suppression of their culture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Irish government is a colonial force? Odd reasoning.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Pre 1921/22, the island was governed by the UK Parliament in London through its Dublin Castle administration in Ireland. You know this.

Precisely my point. The Gaelgoirs must never be held accountable for their avarice.

The English Government enacted laws that suppressed the use of Irish and made an impoverished populations life even harder to force them to learn English to get by, leading to an obvious decline in the use of Irish , this is the fault of Irish speakers greed somehow ??

Your "logic" escapes me, and tbh I don't care to read some thesis on why the English colonial forces were the good guys in all this.

And we're onto the gaslighting. There's no point continuing this.

• Advertisement

Yeah, yeah, so now you don't have to back up your position conveniently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

What on earth..

"Prove" your own highly revisionist view. I blame Foster for this sort of neo-Lecky rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gas. You pass yourself off as some 'progressive' pro-EU poster and yet the evidence based on your own posts exudes a traditional Tory attitude to Ireland.

Interesting.

Says the lad who's been pushing Putinist nonsense for years.

Let's see the evidence.

Let's see your evidence. See, I can play that game too to try shut down debate.

Show me your evidence I have ever 'pushed Putinist nonsense'

I'll wait.

I'm still waiting for your proof.

Come on. I won't go away like you always do after asking for evidence.

Isn't this yet another case of you being beaten and trying to sneak away with just your tail between your legs and hoping it's nothing else? "Evidence!" is just your puppy plea hoping we all go away. You do it all the time.

I'm calling you out on that from now on btw. You won't be able to dodge debates you've lost with these "evidence!" or "proof" quips any longer. 😡

LOL. You got your arse handed to you yet again on the Brexit thread and haven't been seen since! and you never answer questions there, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Ireland for most of its history post independence never really had its own independent currency, firstly as part of the Sterling area and later joining European mechanisms. The Sterling Area was perhaps a basis of developing and stabilising, but perhaps it retarded any sort of independent policy tailored for Ireland. Personally I don't see it as wholly good that Ireland just moved from the shelter of Britain to the present European hegemon. Basic things like a stable housing or rental market won't be easy to accomplish, first given politicians largely of social origins where accommodation is never insecure, so housing is a bit of a rhetorical pose, that is, they don't really care, and secondly if a party or parties tried to remove take tax benefits from reinvestment trusts and similar, as part of a new policy direction, there might be veiled threats from Berlin or Brussels, somewhat as before under the last FF bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It's not at all unusual for a smaller country to maintain a peg to a major currency. Dozens of currencies are pegged to the US dollar, and some very wealthy countries at that: UAE, Saudi, Qatar, Hong Kong.

A smaller country maintaining a free floating currency and not benchmarking interest rates from the mid-20th century to its end was asking for trouble.

Until Black Wednesday in 1992, Sterling was basically pegged to the Deutschmark, and the UK was importing to Bundesbank monetary policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

It’s human nature to forget the struggles and hardships endured to find stability and prosperity. Many assume we got where we are alone.

Europe is beneficial to Ireland, those that don’t see it are usually in an echo chamber (probably YouTube) importing British and American political issues and stretching to apply them to Ireland.

1960s Ireland comparatively better than 2022 Ireland?

A currency peg is typical enough or even having a common currencies like the Euro or the West African CFA Franc which is pegged to the European currency, or the Sterling Area, which Ireland was a part of until that ceased to be in the 60s, and perhaps that's why our later bank notes no longer mentioned that reserves were lodged in London, but the post 2008 crash aftermath left this country with vast debt that wasn't ours. That said, debt as a percentage of GDP (a somewhat misleading figure for Ireland thanks to the MNC presence) is relatively low at c. 57% as of a few years back. Anyhow Dr Von Der Leyen was happy with our rulers, so that's that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The debt was ours because we chose to guarantee it.

I know that, but it shouldn't have happened. Anyhow that's history.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It probably shouldn't no, but its not really related to currency unions or currency pegging.

The debt was ours because we FF chose to guarantee it.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

FF also got the bail out FG claim they fixed the country. When they got in they said we were broke simply not true loan agreed.

Sticking up for FF?

FF was the reason we feckin' needed to be bailed out 🙄🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Nope not a chance in hell. There are currently no parties I could vote for. Just pointing out the facts of the actual history of the situation.

• Advertisement

Pull the other one.

You said "they got the bailout" like that was a good thing.

Advertisement