Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Bribery Scandal

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

So how was the EU investigating the EU ? Unless I have my wires crossed that was what was said ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Do MEP’s work in the interests of their national constituents or in the interests of the EU?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

I would have thought that all Intelligence agencies are operating in different jurisdictions. I would be confident that all the major country’s intelligence agencies would be present in a city like Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Right so please produce evidence that EU-affiliated bribe takers are covertly anti-EU. For your point to have any relevance whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They are definitely not employees of the EU anyway - they receive a salary from the EU in their capacity as a parliamentarian. Their role is not to promote or defend the EU (but many of them would certainly be very pro-EU and would use their position to promote it and its values). But we've also seen hardcore Eurosceptics and Europhobe MEPs like Farage and his mates who were hoping and praying for the destruction of the union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I repeat; so what? If member state law enforcement authorities investigate and prosecute corruption in the EU institutions, explain to me why it matters whether those authorities are part of the police force or separate agencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Well for one the general police would not have the capabilities to monitor these types of individuals. It's high level corruption. Members of Eu institutions and Parliament.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Again, so what? The issue is whether national law enforcement agencies can effectively investigate and act against corruption in the EU institutions, or does the EU need its own enforcement agency. If the police have the required resources and are willing to deploy them, or if the intelligence services have the required resources and are willing to deploy them, or if the police and the intelligence services in combination have the required resources and are willing to deploy them, the answer in every case would seem to be the same.

What is the answer?

State intelligence agencies can cooperate but they also compete. Police forces are ill equipped to investigate international political corruption. Surely diplomatic immunity is a barrier where foreign diplomats, officials are involved.

Intelligence services protect and pursue national interests. Are they best places to expose fraud or corruption or illegal activity that benefits their own state? Probably not.

The intelligence services of EU member states operate in self interest such as the French bombing of The Greenpeace ship Rainbow Warrior and the murder of a photographer.

Fraud at an EU level is probably more difficult to detect because there is no dedicated service tasked with its detection. Whether an EU anti corruption bureau would be politically palatable is another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's almost like investing powers and budgets in institutions that are beyond the structures of nation states is a recipe for corruption

It's shocking, given the sterling track record of similar bodies like the UN, the Olympic committee, the WHO and FIFA....

• Advertisement
Advertisement