Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staff Shortages in Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If a would-be-apprentice wants a degree then he should do one. A tradesperson qualified under the Irish system will indeed have an internationally recognised, and easily transferable, qualification

There are plenty of public sector jobs for tradesmen too. One caveat would be that they would have to be happy with public sector wages.

A friend of mine actually did his carpentry apprenticeship with the local Council back in the day. I'm not sure whether they still do that but at least they used to.

Even the likes of State-owned or semi-State organisations take on apprentices or qualified tradespeople. If you want to be a heavy vehicle mechanic for example, go to Dublin Bus or Bus Eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Tell the government that if they dont start making inroads into housing and reduce cost of living, they withdraw labour. Who would work for e10.50 an hour. Its depraved with the cost of living and rent...

Join the pyjama brigade or emigrate...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So how do they reduce the cost of living ?

How are they going to build more houses if everyone refuses to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

At the risk of appearing to be anti-immigration, I'm going to make a couple of points regarding the staff shortages.

Any country with a growing population needs extra houses, extra services and so on. If the population grows willy-nilly and no plan is put in place to train a similarly increased proportion of our youth to provide those services, then we are going to end up with problems - i.e. shortages. Personnel, housing, hospital beds - you name it.

Our population has grown by 1.2 million in the last twenty years, or around 30%. Do we train 30% more as doctors, dentists, social workers etc than we did in 2002? If not, then we clearly have a problem.

A couple of years back in the heat of the early months of the Covid crisis the government promised us that they would double the number of ICU beds. I have checked the numbers, and they are way off target. This is typical of how things are done in this country.

The graphic in post no. 8 tells us that in the year previous to April 2022 we had 61k net immigrants. Add to that whatever immigration has occurred since then, plus the Ukranian refugees, and we probably have had a 3% to 4% population increase in under two years; but I haven't seen a plan that will take this into account.

Look at Germany in comparison. Since 1960, the population has grown by only 14%. Such a slow growth rate allows for real benefits for the population, as they do not have to fund a voracious appetite for new construction, education and so on.

Much of our immigration is not to feed Irish needs, but the needs of US companies that only use Ireland as a low-tax platform. And please - don't tell me that those companies employ 100,000 Irish people, so all is good.

All is not good: while the employment is welcome, at this point in time we need to reconsider how we do things and deal with the needs of Irish society rather the wants of the MNCs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

This is disingenuous, nursing here was taught and qualified as a trade but via union pressure managed to get themselves upgraded to a degree, our tradesman sure as **** don't get that.

The Irish nursing degree is what makes emmigration & work visas so easy for them, and once qualified the HSE is basically forced to hire one too. There is ZERO job security for tradesmen, nor is the state going to offer them a job off the bat unlike the 40,000 nurses employed here!

Do you not understand what "a degree" is? It is just an acknowledgement that some body is certifying that you have achieved a certain level of competence to a certain standard. Not all of them are created equal. If you get a degree in tiddlywinks from UCD then don't expect that to open the same doors as say getting a degree in law from Trinity.

If you want to learn sufficient textbook material to have a degree in a trade related field then go and be an architect or an engineer or similar. You have that option now. If you don't get the points in the Leaving to go straight to university, then there are alternate routes by going through the ITs or whatever they are called now. I'd imagine though that if you went to current apprentices and said "oh, btw, we are doubling the textbook component of your training so that you have double the amount of exams and we will now be covering more advanced theoretical material" that plenty wouldn't be too happy. Sure why not throw in some courses on applied mathematics etc.

If there is a GAA club and a soccerball club in my area, well I can't expect to join the soccerball club and be allowed to catch the ball and solo it up the field when I play a match.

What is your snobbery vis-a-vis a trade vs a degree? Both a valid in their own rights and they are for different things. The tradesperson can actually do a job. A civil engineer might be able to come out and calculate the load bearing properties of a wall or tell you what materials need to be used where, but the blockie can actually put the wall up. The engineer probably couldn't. There is no need to be snobby and think that the "degree" means the former is "better".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is it 'so successful' in other countries though? Has it ever actually made money?

It's great success seems to be exploiting people to work for them while avoiding all the normal rules of employment, no minimum wage, no legal responsibilities, no employment contract, no safety responsibilities, no vetting of drivers.

The recent UK judgement on the employment status of their drivers seems to be bringing out a significant threat to their business over there.

I'm not a taxi driver and I've spent my entire career providing technology solutions for people, so you're quite wrong on your assumptions. If you actually talk to people with disabilities about their taxi experiences, you'll find you've got those assumptions wrong.

If taxi drivers don't have working card machine, they get fined. That's the law, one of many that Uber aim to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Commoner

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Commoner

We don't need more overseas workers from non-European Countries because too many visas have already been given under Varadkar and his predecessors. Also, many of these overseas workers were not properly vetted for security and safety reasons. If big business wants to import cheap labour, they should be told 'no, you're not getting it' and be forced to train our own and be more realistic with what they are willing to pay their employees considering they pay so little corporation tax here in Ireland. We also need to elect a Government that will invest money into opening more Schools of Nursing, Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Physio, etc.

We then need a clampdown on illegal migration and asylum by for example doing a probe of all the thousands of visas as well as asylum claims granted over the past 25 years and reviewing them. This can be done in conjunction with the private sector in order to speed up the process with a target of at least a thousand revocations a month.

• Advertisement

This is laughable. A degree in this country is the difference from being eligible for a job in the public sector and not.

The VAST amount of jobs posting for mickey mouse paper filling roles REQUIRE a degree, even if its in gender studies.

And its not all that different in other countries should you want to work over there, hence our nurses are in International demand as they are DEGREE educated.

If you want a "mickey mouse paper filling role" that requires a degree then go and get a degree then. I don't understand the confusion.

On what planet do people think "I want a mickey mouse paper filling role in an office. So I think my best route to get there would be to train as a blocklayer".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The NTA are as useful as tits on a bull. No drivers are going to be fined for not accepting cards, they drive off as soon as they tell you its cash only. How is someone meant to report this to the useless NTA?

Here's an example of a taxi driver that was caught ripping off customers, and he was allowed to continue operating, and his fine was less than the amount he ripped the customers off by. Does he live up to the amazing standards and training you bang on about?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40697327.html

Nobody forces those drivers to drive for Uber, they do it of their own free will. If it was as bad as you make it out to be then there wouldn't be anybody driving for Uber would there?

Nobody forces those drivers to drive for Uber, they do it of their own free will. If it was as bad as you make it out to be then there wouldn't be anybody driving for Uber would there?

That's the same argument that is made in support of zero-contract or casual type "employment" with no rights such as deliveroo. Gig-economy isn't that what they call them?

This is ironic since nurses spend half their day filling out forms. The only reason they can do that is because they are degree educated, and have Health Care Assistants to do their former jobs (the "nursing" part) for them.

Many tradies skill up in their roles so they don't have to spend the 40's and onwards on the tools, alas no degree qualification for them.

Maybe I'm a bit strange, but if I want forms filled out, I don't call my local blockie to do it.

If I do get him to do any work, I'd tend to want him to be laying blocks rather than doing paperwork. Because he would be a lot faster than me at doing the former and I can do the latter myself.

There is absolutely nothing systemic stopping anyone from going to college at any age should they wish to do so.

The NTA issue a bunch of fines every month, so your theoretical claim about not being able to issue fines doesn't seem to apply in the real world.

It was the Court that gave that chancer back his licence. It was the NTA that caught him and prosecuted him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

And it's true. Are they forced to work for Deliveroo?

Did you ever notice how Deliveroo riders don't have a whole lot of other options? Mostly Brazilian 'students' on maximum Visa working hours.

Should there be any employment rules or protections at all?

What about statutory redundancy for example? Or minimum days leave? Surely the employee isn't forced to work for the employer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

We're the ones with the scarcity.

If we want more trades then we're the one in the weak bargaining position.

And as such we shouldnt be telling the people that are choosing whether or not to help our sorry asses that they must initially 'serve time' on a 'bottom rung'. As a sub minimal pay skivvy of sorts.

Classes first, then entry to the market as someone with knowledge. Then we can pair them with an employer to serve some time if need be. Not as a breakfast-roll go getter, but as an almost fully ready tradesperson.

Lets not forget, there are plenty of other jobs for them to choose from out there. The less appealing we make it for them the fewer tradespeople we'll be left with.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

Sure why don't we get all the apprentices in and make them learn how to speak German. Some other people who go to college can study it so why don't we make qualifying for a trade dependent on it?

Also statistical thermodynamics too. Other people study that in college so why shouldn't mechanics have to pass undergraduate level courses in it?

Brain surgery as well. How come plumbers don't have to take any classes in performing brain surgery?

Your "solution" to solving any shortage of tradesmen is effectively the same as granting anyone who does a degree their papers for a trade. Why don't we just do that? Anyone who gets an ordinary degree in Arts can get electrician papers along with their degree cert. If you do business and French in college, you automatically get your plumbers papers.

What on earth?

Are we on the same page here.

Do the classroom sessions first, thats all.

A reformat which cuts out the bit where the people WE need ... are initially treated like sub minimal pay arsholes. Like its still the wretched 1950's or whenever that system was adopted.

Gen-Z-ers wont work like that BRUH. They swipe left on that. The vibes are off.

Post edited by 20Wheel on

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,919 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Gen what?

If ya don't know the difference between a X and Z then I'm kinda doubting the rest.

Gen Z, for all its challenges,is entrepreneurial. And hands on, not off.

Gen Z then.

Youre doubting everything I had to say on the basis that I typed X instead of Z?

You f r.

What is your issue?

Did you fail this sweeping task or something yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭The Real President Trump

You're talking out of your orifice and I'm one of those mythical people who both have a BSc and a trade card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Breakingbad123

I'll be thinking about all this while looking at my 40 euro bag I won't buy and the turf I'm not allowed to burn....the greens have taxes us out of existance

Advertisement