Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Looks like we're gonna be heavily fined for untagged sheep...... wonder what brought that on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Not hard keep sheep tagged either. I find at lambing time is a great time to take stock and replace and tags that are missing.

I don’t know is what I am doing correct though. If a ewe is missing one tag, I snip off the remaining one and give her a new set. I write in the register then that x tag no is replaced by y tag number.

its more hassle to have to order a specific tag number

We'd replace a few at lambing too, you'd have them in the race a few times then but wouldn't lose many tags through the year any way, tags a a lot better than they used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Jimbo789

I found the Mullinahone tags too big and would be more likely to lose one than a Cormac tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭k mac

A neighbour that has no experience of sheep bought some store lambs from a sort of a dealer for reseeded ground. i seen they all have only the one tag the electronic one, and as far as i was aware you have to have 2 tags so i told my neighbour this. So anyways he rang the fella he bought them from and he told him no all they needed was one...maybe i am wrong but i was sure it had to be 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭White Clover

Has to be 2. Only case where 1 tag is acceptable is where the lambs are going direct to slaughter from the farm of origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

Disgraceful..tell your friend to go back to that 'dealer' and get proper two eid tags on the sheep or else he be reported. Some ppl just can't do anything honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Bad form, if in fact he is a 'Dealer' then he should know this about the tags.

On another note, whats people getting charged for scanning sheep around the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭daviddenis

Scanning: €1 a ewe. Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

How are peoples lambs that are left thriving this year? im hearing a lot of stories of lambs pining away from august onwards, i had 5 or 6 lambs that never gotgoing and pined away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

The country is full of light lambs . I’ve a good few of them left still and am really considering just letting them finish of grass in April and may .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Tileman

Yea allot around here also. Never thrive after the drought in summer. Too expensive to feed meal so will be. Shout on spring me thinks

The most expensive option this year was to not feed meal if needed, a lot of poor lambs around due to the bad autumn

To have to feed now until april /may will be more expensive and lambs will be grazing what will be needed by ewes and lambs in spring.

There's also a bad outlook for lamb prices this spring

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Heres one for ye. I have a lamb that was only 600g at birth but lived. (The scanner told us shed abort but she didnt). The ewe reared him til weaning time and he lived but at 7 months old now hes only about 18kg.

What do you do with something like that?. Hes commercially not much use as i think hes some sort of dwarf and will never grow big enough.

Leave him run with your ewes over the summer hel grow into something eventually. Had them. Here two years ago and still got spring lamb price for them as they killed out under 20kilo dead weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

What's best for bedding stores . I've an option for barely or wheat straw

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Jimbo789

I know there is no product licensed for treating Rumen fluke but the active ingredient in Zanil, oxyclozanide, is supposed to be effective against it.

Is the dosing rate people use for treating Rumen Fluke the same as indicated on the Zanil can for Liver Fluke? 20ml for 45kg and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

levafas Diamond cover rumen fluke as well

Have ewe lambs showing signs of fluke. What would be best to dose them with. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

• Advertisement

How do you know there showing fluke ? What are the signs ?

They're not thriving. Pulled a few out of it there with a swollen jaw, in poor condition and poor fleece on them.

Is there any test I should be doing to check for fluke. I'd be fairly confident on them needed a fluke dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Sami23

Why do you think the outkook is bad for prices this spring ?

I think itl be good around March April as early spring lambs will be non existence this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I dont think it will be that great of prices for early spring lambs atall, there will be way too much of a carryover of hoggets (store lambs) that weren't finished in 2022 due to shite prices, these people that held off will have no other option than too finish them for March April Easter time which will increase the supply more than usual for that time of the year and will be directly competing with the early spring lamb. Remains to be seen how it all pans out yet - but you are right with the price of meal there was f'all doing the early xmass lambing around me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭jfh

Have a small triplet that is 4 days old, had him on biestings for days but v tight on it so moved him to eweuka, he's drinking it reluctantly but got that bound up hunched look, anything I can give him? Yougart mixture?

Sounds like he’s hungry. Small feeds and often might get enough into him.

Quotes have dropped 30c/kg since last week, There's a big carry over of last years lambs.

I was out New years eve and on the menu the lamb dinner was €29 and beef dinner was €25 .

I notice very little of roast beef or roast lamb on the menu for lunch in smaller restaurants during the weekdays. Loads of pork and fish.

Was out a few times over Christmas and Steak was over €30 and rack of lamb was €28

• Advertisement

Hi folks . Just said I’d ask has anyone here had a sheep welfare inspection before? Got phone call today about them coming to do inspection but dno date yet . Just wondering what percentage of breeding ewes do you need to have in for them on the day ?Is it your sheep welfare reference number or the number of ewes on the census? And Ino they will want to see the record keeping book for scheme but was unaware that they wanted the flock register also ?

Advertisement