Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Debunking the Induced demand argument

• 16-12-2022 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭

Keeping this short. 2 points:

1. If you build a Motorway from Ballina to Belmullet, it will not get clogged up.
    2. Those who whinge about it happening in Dublin forget that Dublin was a pretty overpopulated place even before the M50 was built. Alas we didn't start with 4 lane Motorways. We did so with crappy 2-lane dual carriageways with non freeflow junctions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

You might as well try to debunk gravity.

Your first point: your new motorway won't get clogged because you grossly overprovisioned, but I guarantee you that if you counted the traffic along the corridor before it opened, and then again a couple of years later, you'd find it massively increased from a small base. Where did those extra trips come from?

Induced demand exists. Every time you improve a link, it brings in people who would not have used it previously; it also encourages people to use the link more often. This is sometimes the desired outcome - road improvements to tourist areas and retail zones are done for this exact reason.

If you widen a commuter road, people living further away will consider commuting into that city because capacity has increased, and the wages are usually higher in city locations. Other commuters may be tempted to switch from using the bus, to instead using a car. Cyclists may choose to switch to a car now that traffic has "improved". But that means that before long the road is back to its earlier, congested, level of traffic.

You are free to deny this, but just be aware that you're not denying some "green ideology", Induced Demand is an observed fact of traffic planning that's been seen everywhere on Earth for over half a century. When the huge commuter road networks were built out in the USA in the 1950s and 1960s, induced demand was factored into the projections, but the planners back then didn't realise that it's not a once-off spike in demand, but a continuous growth in traffic.

It has happened in Dublin. The M50 freeflow scheme caused traffic numbers to increase on the mainline, as drivers switched to cars. The new road induced demand for road travel. Same thing happened after N7 was widened, same after Newlands Cross. Every time you make a road easier to use, it gets more users until it clogs up again. That's the phenomenon you're trying to say does not exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

If induced demand didn't exist then building roads for the betterment of local economic areas would largely be a wasted effort. If your proposed new road didn't move more goods and people than before then it wouldn't actually be economically viable to build it at all in the first place. If we build that proposed road ONLY with safety or convenience justifications in mind, then we could achieve similar effects through safety upgrades (barriers, surface, etc) and policing.

Part of the justification of building those newer roads is to try to stimulate growth and move more people, goods and services than before. If the growth would have happened anyway without the road, and the road construction is purely to "facilitate" growth that was "happening anyway" then you would see similar growth rates in areas without congestion as compared against areas with these big fancy new roads.

The N17 wasn't particularly congested when I drove on it prior to the upgrade. People in the North West weren't crying out for it to be upgraded for convenience or safety sake: they hoped that it would induce economic growth (and associated traffic is a by-product).

I understand why people might want to debunk "induced demand" but bear in mind that it's not a bad thing in and of itself. Often you actually want to use the road building to stimulate the growth. It's actually one good way that a government can influence economic growth.

Induced demand is only really "bad" when it's lopsided and skewed towards one unsustainable mode. That is to say when you don't invest in sustainable modes at all and only really invest in roads. Unfortunately that's been us for the last few decades. Likely because roads are great "bigger CapEx/smaller OpEx projects" as compared with, say, rail. Also likely because of our very dispersed historical settlement patterns.

So the counter-argument to people highlighting "induced demand" shouldn't really be "that's a myth", rather it should be "we're investing heavily in the sustainable modes on the same corridor, and the induced demand isn't a bad thing". The catch is that you need to keep measuring your sustainable mode shares and trying to improve them, and local authorities are loathe to be bound by this (because it's quite difficult to improve mode shares, because cars are a sunk cost).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Why not invest in alot of buses and direct routes from commuters to use these currently "unsustainable" roads.

Every town upto say 60km out can have a direct (no stops) service to Heuston and OCS that on average gets you to OCS for 8.30am. There is surely the demand for that sort of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭TnxM17

There is a need for this service, but not a demand and it will remain that way as long as there is no large financial burden to continue to commute alone in a private car.

While a 'no stops' service would be excellent for many commuters they will still get snarled up in traffic. Until a service is reliable and much faster and people will still prefer to use their cars and enjoy their own private space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

Just make city bus services free is my view. Dublin Bus total fare revenues for 2019 (last “normal” year) were just €262M. That’s small change for the State compared to the economic benefit it would bring. I don’t think Bus Éireann break out their revenue so it’s hard to see the cost of the city bus services in Cork, Limerick, Galway, and Waherford. But it can’t be more than the Dublin Bus figure. Even if they just tried it for a month to see what would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Are you trolling or trying to make a serious point?

Induced Demand is a known and accepted phenomenon, related specifically to cars. It is not up for debate.

The more roads you build, the more people will drive on those roads. This leads to congestion. If you build another road to relieve that congestion, it just fills up again. A never ending loop.

The M50 for example is a much needed piece of infrastructure. However, if we were to build another "M50" loop 20km further out to relieve congestion, it would absolutely induce demand into cars.

I think we need to clarify 2 distinct points here:

• the theory of "Induced Demand" is related to building new roads to relieve congestion on existing roads. Example is widening roads into a city to add additional car lanes.

• new road infrastructure which didn't previously exist, and which stimulates economic growth is not "Induced Demand"

There's a difference between stimulating economic growth and the never ending widening of existing roads to "relieve" congestion (think USA).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's important to note that the M50 expansions did not occur in a vacuum. At the time, Ireland was growing economically and probably also population wise and there was a shift towards Dublin. Meanwhile other aspects to facilitate this growth were being neglected, things like social housing and public transport received limited investment at best. A few platform extensions and a new signaling system for existing DART and Commuter lines, a couple of tram lines, and sod all else. As someone who had the misfortune of being at the coalface of Dublin's commuter transport systems in the years leading up to the pandemic, I can confirm that it was just all-around terrible with every mode (DARTs, Luas all short-haul Commuter services and many bus routes) being over-used and (in the case of buses) painfully slow. And from what I had heard from others, my experience was far from the worst.

Imagine an alternate history in which the M50 improvements were paired with massive extensions to public transport, such that there were now DARTs running to/from Navan on a 20 min headway, the DART Underground was carrying electric trains full of people from the Kildare line to Stephen's Green and beyond, and a high-floor heavy rail Metro had been built from Swords to Bray, with expansions ongoing to Tallaght, Blanchardstown etc. I suspect that the M50 would not be such a mess at peak times. More specifically, I suspect that people use the M50 not simply because it is available, but because it was all that is available.

Post edited by SeanW on

• Advertisement

Given the very broke nature of the country in 1980s when the M50 was planned, I can't imagine the money was there to also build PT. Even getting an EU loan was a nightmare back then. We had to agree that non stop assrape toll contract to get even the M50 built.

These days with finances more stable we should.be doing more on all fronts. But I certainly won't agree that doing nothing(and rail improvements tend to be glacial) instead of widening roads that clearly need widening. Of the widened roads fill up, great. More overall get through and guess what - they make money while we wait for the glacier railways to get built

This thread is pleasantly conversational I must say. I was expecting a spiral into heated argument...well done all!

That's a seems to be a long way of saying you don't believe in induced demand. Despite the overwhelming evidence.

I don't disagree there are issues with public transport. On my own train route as more people used it they made the trains smaller instantly causing overcrowding. Very unpleasant. Partly the reason I didn't renew my annual rail ticket and switched back to the car pre COVID. Post COVID the traffic on the train isn't quite recovered and that's partly why I'm back on the train some of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LucianBelmau

Just a quick question. One of the reasons why rail improvements/works are so slow is the planning permission process which is notoriously slow (and I know the government are trying to reform it atm). If that's the case, aren't motorways etc. subject to the same process? Once the drilling gets going, things do get built quite fast (luas cross city /extensions are a good example of this). Do roads/motorways follow a different procedure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

No point in this unless there are buses to get on. At present, the bus service cannot even run all of its existing timetable.

However, there needs to be a willingness to run buses which won't always be revenue raising. One example would be express buses on the M50, which should have been there from the day the road opened. A road was opened which greatly improved driving times but no attempt was made to ensure that public transport remained competitive to that. Perhaps there was not the capital to invest in the M50 and a metro or the like but there surely was enough to run a bus.

Easier to reroute a road I guess.

Some of these planning permission issues are caused by ignorant people running the projects. They have an habit of choosing the most disruptive and disputed approach and route. It's often caused by poor planning.

They make a dumb short sighted decision earlier that then has knock on effect on future work and projects. They seem to prefer to have arguments than plan things properly.

Through my old estate they widen the road chopped trees to great a bus lane. Cost a fortune.

Then artificially bottlenecked it two places to a single lane for no reason.

They also put in a set of lights that were not needed.

Induced demand is not unique to roads; it also affects rail infrastructure: when capacity and number of services increases on a line, journeys increase more than linearly (e.g., when you double the frequency and you get more than double the journeys). The reason why this induced demand is not a problem for rail but is bad for roads is that rail transport is coordinated to make extremely efficient use the available infrastructure, while private car transport is the least efficient way to use road-space.

I think the case is somewhat overstated. And in the case of Dublin, it only stands to reason that there would be less peak time private car use if there had been a functional public transport system and/or a decent supply of affordable accommodation.

The problems in Ireland existed before the housing crisis. It's about a society and culture that is prioritizing cars over other choices.

• Advertisement

I disagree. If you look throughout Europe and their cities you will find in many cases that not only did their governments go much further to prioritise people's ability to get around by car than anything we ever did, but they also provided and expanded upon world class public transport systems. This is common in the UK for example where city centre motorway networks are often accompanied by full scale regional metro systems, but also in cities like Amsterdam where presumably significant money was spent on things like the IJ-tunnel and the A10 ring motorway (which fully encircles the city), while they maintained their extensive tram system, while building and continuing to improve their Metro at the same or similar times.

Blaming "society and culture" or "induced demand" for the failure of successive governments to invest appropriately in ALL forms of transport (and the predictable problems that caused) seems to me to be a case that is at best overwrought. And the housing mess certainly isn't helping.

Though, to be fair, we did vote for these clowns so "we the people" must take some responsibility.

Amsterdam isn't prioritizing cars. Its diverting it away from the city. That happened through social pressure.

As for the UK

London has many of the same problems as Dublin, growing continuously with housing and transport not keeping pace, as your link shows. They are trying, Crossrail has no doubt helped, but they'll need to continue and pick up the pace if the population growth of London is to continue. I had been thinking more of Northern cities in the UK in my previous posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Common for UK cities to have Metros? There's Metros in London, Newcastle and Glasgow, where are the rest?

Manchester also has a weird tram-metro hybrid thing and Liverpool has a regional electric railway system. Newcastle-Upon-Tyne is the example I'm most familiar with and they simply do not have the same problems as Dublin has. Nowhere near.

I find it interesting that London has been mentioned in this thread because it as far as I am concerned actually debunks the induced demand argument. The claim - if I understand it correctly - is that if you provide more things for drivers, more people will drive, making traffic congestion ultimately worse - and that this is the only cause of traffic congestion, not for example a lack of housing or public transport, the same being side issues at most. Yet, London not only has not built new roads for decades, but has actively sought to discourage people from driving. They have Congestion Charging, an Ultra Low Emissions Zone and a lot of punitive 20MPH limits citywide. And these rules get more onerous on an ongoing basis. Yet congestion (at least according to the poster above) seems to keep getting worse.

How is it possible that a city that seeks to actively discourage driving (i.e. the opposite of inducing demand) keeps having more and more congestion?

"..and that this is the only cause of traffic congestion"

Where does the above quoted claim come from?

Obviously I have as it's a direct quote from the paragraph, and I have reread it in its entirety again.

If I've missed something, please share.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

doesn't research show that once you reach 'cheap' PT, further price reductions have little effect? improving PT is much more effective than cheapening it further. i would not say 'just' €262m - over a quarter of a billion!

keeping all other things equal, that'd pay for (or cause sacrifice of) quite a few bus routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

By any chance was that research done in a city or country where payment and ticket checking is done in a frictionless or low-friction way? The actual process of getting 70+ people onto a double-decker bus when every one of them has to interact with the driver is extremely slow, and that in itself is a huge disincentive to use the bus. Pre-Covid, the 215 bus here in Cork regularly took 15+ mins to board at the stop by the City Gate business park (it may still do but I now WFH). That 15+ mins is very inefficient use of a valuable asset and very wasteful use of the driver’s salary. In Berlin, the system is trust-based and your ticket is in a smartphone app. You just get on the bus. There is no validation or interaction with the driver. If the PT operators can’t get with the year 2022 and embrace a system like this, then they shouldn’t be allowed charge at all. The friction is part of the problem.

By the way, I realise that €262M is a lot of money. But it has to be seen it the context of the potential economic benefit of a massive mode shift to PT and commuters having a bit more money in their pockets for elective spending.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Will see if I can find a link to what the research was...

here's one; a report rather than the underlying research. it suggests that (in one case, at least) it tempts people away from walking more than it does from driving. i guess one issue is there are few enough cases to study where it's been done, with complicating factors in each location making it hard to make generalised conclusions.

https://www.inverse.com/culture/free-public-transportation-scientific-studies

It's the general sense of arguments that elevate the concept of "induced demand" to ridiculous extremes, such as the claim in Post 2 about road expansions that supposedly inexorably lead to greater usage.

Nothing in that final paragraph considered any other causes of or contributing factors to congestion on the roads in question. "Induced demand" was the ONLY explanation given. Now, you can nitpick about whether the word "only" or "primary" would have made more sense in my post, but the point stands. And yes, the overuse of the induced demand argument is so extreme that in another thread a user claimed that:

Never, in the history of anywhere, has building more roads fixed problems with traffic in the long term due to induced demand.

a claim that, if I were being generous, would come as a surprise to anyone who has ever used a bypass or lives in a village or small town that has been bypassed.

@SeanW Don't try frame me, please. What I said there does not fit your summary of it. I'm happy to say I am very much in favour of road construction... we have a lot to catch up on in this country. That doesn't mean I'm blind to what happens when you try to apply road-building to transport problems that have much better solutions,though.

Once you go beyond two lanes each way with limited access, you're in the land of diminishing returns in roads... and if you're getting traffic jams on wide roads at morning and evening commutes, then adding capacity to that road will never get you out of that hole, because the problem is one of throughput, and private car travel has lousy throughput.. encouraging more of it will just set you up for the same problem again in a couple of years (and yes, I did consider other factors when I cited N7 and M50.. all that those other factors did was accelerate the return of congestion: they did not create it).

With an average 1.2 people per car, and each car needing eight to ten lane-metres of road, cars are basically the worst possible way of getting lots of people in and out of a place.

So, my position is we should build more roads, but for connectivity and safety, not commuting: commuting is best done on public transportation. Induced demand works both ways: make public transport reliable and convenient and people won't feel they need to drive everywhere; keep spending the transport budget on adding road lanes, and they will.

In my mind, “induced demand” is just a language thing.

”If you build roads, people will use them” is saying exactly the same thing, as is “roads are wanted so should be built” and “if a road is built people will want to use them”. The first inference is pro road, the second one anti.

It’s like the difference between “pro-life” and “anti-abortion”. Politicos will do what they can to make their political position the dominant one, leaving us pragmatists to clean up the mess.

I mean, how much graph theory mathematics is used in journey research? Road networks and journeys upon them are the prime example of a large mathematical graph with paths and nodes, but you never see that applied to the problem.

"Induced Demand" should have capital letters in your comment because it is a theory, a very specific theory, which has been proven time and time again across the world.

"Induced Demand" is not some fluffy way to say "if you build roads, people will use them".

The proven theory shows that building new roads or widening existing roads with the specific aim of reducing private car congestion does not work in the medium to long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭alentejo

I am assuming the Induced Demand theory would apply to the new Metro North! If that is the case,lets build it

The theory only applies to roads. You simply can't build enough roads to facilitate private car use.

High capacity, high speed public transport is the only way to keep up with increasing demand.

Look at LA for proof of the theory. 6 lane motorways all over the place and the city is gridlocked every single day.

Induced demand applies to all modes of transportation. However, in public transport, induced demand is generally seen as a positive as it creates additional farebox revenue and higher utilisation of the infrastructure, as well as the side benefit of reducing car traffic.

This is simplistic. It depends on where the use is. Plenty of roads throughout the country were improved 50 years ago and perform their job to this day. The motorways will do their job except perhaps for the 30km around Dublin and perhaps Cork.

And while what you is true of cities, LA has less road capacity than most US cities.

The problem with public transport is that people are expected to suit the transport, rather than the transport serving the people.

“It needs CAPITAL LETTERS!”

“It has been PROVEN TIME AGAIN ACROSS THE WORLD!”

”It is a SPECIFIC theory”

Well, it’s used the same way “Defund the Police” is used to advocate for policing reform. Some say “not really, it’s a shock headline to get you to listen” and zealots say “YES REALLY! ACAB!! ABOLISH THE PIGS!!”

Induced Demand is viewing growth in a negative light. Some say “We need to look at whether this place will grow, and make sure it grows right” and the zealots will scream blue murder about “evil car ownership practices that must be stamped out.”

Fact is these eco-ablists want people to change where they live, where they go, to fit into whatever public transport options are available to them, expecting enough space to be freed up so the [s]poor[/s], sorry, car-needy will take care of themselves by “going away or having the space or whatever, they’re an annoyance that don’t matter. The b*stards drive cars by themselves, no one needs to do that so if they do anyways they must feel pain for their sins.”

• Advertisement

It's not simplistic actually.

The vast vast majority of literature on "Induced Demand" refers to road infrastructure. Ask any economist or transport planner and they will tell you it's referring to roads.

The term "Reduced Demand" is also used now. This refers to 'disappearing traffic' or reduced traffic when road space is reallocated away from cars. As with Induced Demand, there is much empirical evidence to support the theory of Reduced Demand.

When this thread first started and I saw its title I was intrigued to see how 'Induced Demand' would be debunked. That hasn't happened, but I have a better understanding of why it appears to be a controversial phrase.

Induced demand is a long known and accepted theory, in the same way as latent demand in economics. However, acknowledging induced demand in terms of building roads to ease congestion will not make you anti roads, or have the Green Party police come and take away your SUV and replace them with a pair of sandals, or insist you live in a tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Dublin has to be the worst million plus city in Europe for public transport hands down. Can anyone think of another quite as bad?

Was in Munich recently, the gap between somewhere like that and Dublin is so, so huge. Doesn't matter where you need to go in the city (or indeed outer suburbia), you just glide on whatever public transport mode to your destination. We've been duffing it up for years, it's depressing.

I used to live in Munich a long time ago, and yes, it is an example of how things should be done, but it has many advantages that Dublin doesn't have in terms of building out public transport: it's flat, it has very little suburban sprawl, and the surrounding towns are very compact with high density housing. Munich also had a very tunnel-friendly geology, and the dubious "advantage" of being part flattened in WW2, allowing a lot of the U-bahn to be built as cut-and-cover.

And Munich might be officially only the size of Dublin (1.5 million vs 1.2), but its hinterland has over 5 million inhabitants. It is also has a strong local government with real powers, as well as being the state capital of Bavaria, Germany's wealthiest state, so works in Munich have three budgets to dip into: the Federal transport budget, the Bavarian State one, and its own city budget.

The big success of Munich's transport (and German transport generally) isn't so much the infrastructure as the simple, unified ticketing: your S-Bahn, U-Bahn, Tram and Bus travel has all been usable with the same ticket for about fifty years, even though these are operated by different companies (the City of Munich owns the trams and the Underground; Deutsche Bahn owns the S-bahn commuter railway, and the city and various private companies run the buses).

With Leap, we now have the same idea here, but we still don't have the simple pricing system they use in cities like Munich, where a ticket is for any journey on any means within a period of time.

But no public transport is perfect, and Munich still has holes: there is a bizarre desert of transportation around Perlach in the south-east, and the geography of Munich itself means the U-bahn hugs the Isar valley and doesn't stretch very far to the east or west. But the long term vision is what we should be aiming for with Dublin (Munich's first U-bahn line only opened in 1971, and it was just 13 stops along what is now U6... over the decades it has steadily grown to nearly 100 stations).

This was all done as a reaction to horrible car traffic in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Munich could have widened its streets (and it did do this where blocks were flattened by bombing), but extensive road widening would have cost even more of the city's buildings, and there just wasn't the apetite for it, so the city looked for an alternative to just making more room for cars, and that was to build a real alternative to roads for mass transport.

But one thing you also notice about Munich is there's a different attitude to public transport, which you really see when it comes to buses. When I worked in Munich, I would occasionally see the head of my company (a branch of a multinational, employing 200+ people) on the same bus as me. I cannot imagine an Irish executive doing the same, and until that prejudice against bus transport changes, we won't make the kind of progress that other countries can.

Did I state that induced demand did not exist? No, I did not, I said that the effect is different in different parts of the road network. Pretending otherwise is simplistic.

Did I say I'm anti roads?

I'm anti widening motorways or building additional ones to "relieve" congestion.

I'm fully supportive of a bypass of towns including Galway city (assuming it's actually a bypass, not a distributor road with lots of entries and exits).

I'm fully supportive of improved roadways to the regional cities (from Dublin) and between the regional cities.

I hope Galway gets a 3-lane bypass with 10 exits. God forbid the locals might be able get around the place without having to go through the centre (as every public transport option insists upon)

This climate craic has an unintended consequence - making PT economical forces people without X amount of money to share the ride with dodgy co-passengers. You just dont get that in a private car. Taken the Luas Red Line recently? OMFG It will be a long time till I use it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Lord save us from economical public transport.

I'd imagine the tens of thousands of people who use the Luas every day are saying WTF to you right now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"With Leap, we now have the same idea here, but we still don't have the simple pricing system they use in cities like Munich, where a ticket is for any journey on any means within a period of time."

We actually have that in Dublin now, €2 for 90 minutes travel across Bus, Luas and DART.

It is actually very good value and looks even better then Munich. Looking at Munichs prices, they look kind of expensive, €3.26 for 2 hours in Zone M (central zone).

So we are sort of getting there, though more to do. BTW Dublin is pretty flat too,just a relatively gentle incline going north and nothing difficult about going underground.

"it has very little suburban sprawl, and the surrounding towns are very compact with high density housing."

This really is the key difference. We badly need to build high density commuter towns around Dublin, within walking distance of DART/Metro.

• Advertisement
Advertisement