Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Everybody working in the public service should be paid monthly.

that should be able to free up some valuable time & increase efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

Most marriages would be so much happier and healthier places for the kids , relations etc if people were allowed to have at least one hall pass each year . Go and ride someone in a different county not Tina from down the road .

The idea of one sexual partner for 40 years plus goes against all human instincts and the idea is the reason for so many failed marriages

• Registered Users Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I think Friends can be hilarious. I don't get the hate. Or the hate of the Mariah Carey Christmas song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

the "Christmas Festivities" Thread will at least see the new year out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Some "rival families" should be paid not to have so many kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,192 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But Qatar has hosted and continues to host things other than the world cup.

It's hosted World Athletic championships, Asian Games, it yearly hosts WTA and ATP tennis events

None of which get "cancelled"

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I think we are heading for a financial crisis in 50 - 100 years time, the only people in Ireland having more than two kids, are travellers and generational social welfare families, the country won't only have fewer young people to pay for our pensions, the ratio of traveller and social welfare kids, to working peoples kids, will be multiples of what it is now, so a large minority of those young people will also be reliant on social welfare.

My controversial opinion? People who arent willing to work, or are unable to, should not be compensated for having large families like they are now, yes society needs to look after them, but if they can't afford kids, then they shouldn't have them, in my experience the vast majority of kids born into a family of non workers, are unable or un willing to work when adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

People are as*holes haha. That's one of my big ones.

I know not everyone. I know in my heart and soul not everyone. But I would say out of the 8 billion people currently roaming this planet I think most. Majority like. Think its just human nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,192 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Two university educated professionals in this house.

No travelers or generational social welfare people around the house.

But look, four kids.

And I know plenty more like us.

Would you accept you are the minority? Of course there are exceptions, but when I look around between my friends and family two kids seem to be the norm. Compared to the traveller families i know of, and also non working families, they each have 6 plus kids.

I have two kids, myself and missus both have reasonable jobs, But would struggle to afford a third

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Would you accept you are the minority?

It’s a good thing the only criteria for this thread is that it is an opinion, there doesn’t actually have to be any evidence to support it, because for your opinion, there’s none -

• 62,192 - The number of families with 4 or more children
    • 4,352 - The number of families with 6 or more children

Cohabiting couples were more likely to have just one child with 45 per cent of cohabiting couples falling into this category. Among married couples with children, one-child families accounted for less than one third of the total.

Overall, cohabiting couples with children had an average of 1.83 children, while the figure for married couples was 2.09 children.

The social class structure of couples varied according to whether they were married or cohabiting, and whether or not they had children as can be seen in Figure 2.5.

For married couples, those with children tended to belong to the higher social classes. 57 per cent of these families belonged to the higher classes (1 to 3), compared with 50.9 per cent of married couples without children.

The opposite pattern emerges for cohabiting couples. Those without children are much more likely to belong to social classes 1 to 3 (66.1%), while 44.8 per cent of cohabiting couples with children belong to these groups.

The number of one parent families stood at 218,817 in 2016 of which 189,112 were mothers and 29,705 were fathers. The majority, 125,840, had just one child.

Figure 2.7 shows the distribution of one parent families by principal economic status alongside the equivalent breakdown for heads of two-parent families.

Only 47.8 per cent of single parents were at work, compared with 70.2 per cent for heads of two-parent families. 13.1 per cent of one parent families were unemployed. For couples, this figure stood at 6.9 per cent.

Those looking after the home or family were also prevalent among one parent families, accounting for 17.7 per cent, although this was unevenly spread between men and women. Only 4 per cent of one parent fathers were homemakers, compared with 19.8 per cent of one parent mothers.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp4hf/cp4hf/fmls/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 11,268 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I was down at an appointment last week registering to get married, which costs €200. Happened to see on the price list that it cost only €20 to get a birth certificate and I believe it is free to register a birth.

My controversial opinion, if they had a €1000 fee to register a birth (and if you needed a registered birth to apply for certain welfare payments), there'd be far less single women having babies just for the mickey money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It’s a good thing the only criteria for this thread is that it is an opinion, because you've just spent time replying with completely irrelevant data to the OPs point

• Registered Users Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The Social welfare office would pay the 1000 euro for them like they do for everything else they want.

The poster’s point was that we’re headed for a financial crisis 50 to 100 years time, the only people in Ireland having two or more children are travellers and generational social welfare families. Then when Tod gave their own family as a counter example to the point being made, the poster asked would they accept they’re in a minority. I know the data is from the 2016 census, but it’s more reliable than relying on biased anecdotes, especially when the point being made refers to the country as a whole, in 50 to 100 years time.

If that’s rusty’s most controversial opinion though, they’re doing alright, their opinion isn’t the least bit controversial 😂

Wow, that's a lot of words to basically say you agree with me. The average family size is less than two children, the other poster said they have four children, and I said that he is in the minority, your stats back that up. I don't see any breakdown on traveller families, or two parent non working, multi generational families.

I can fully understand why a single parent wouldn't work, it doesn't make financial sense with the current social welfare system.

To me, it stands to reason, if the average family is less than two children, and travellers/social welfare recipient's are having disproportionately larger families (because the social welfare sytem rewards them for doing so) then in a few generations there are going to be a lot more young people relying on social welfare than there are now.

I don’t agree with you, and the data doesn’t either. All you have In support of your opinion is this -

To me, it stands to reason…

I don’t care to argue with the rest of it. I might if I thought it was actually so controversial enough to be worth entertaining, but it’s not. It’s just another common and fairly popular perception among certain sectors of Irish society.

• Advertisement

Let's just agree to disagree and I'll just leave this stat from the CSO that's actually relevant to the point I was making:

"Irish traveller households comprising of a married couple with children had an average of 5.3 persons per household compared with 4.1 for the general population"

Agree to disagree but you’ll keep going anyway? Seems a tad convenient more than it is conciliatory tbh. The stat above is meaningless to your point which refers to your prediction of a financial crisis in this country in 50 to 100 years time (are you sure you’ve given yourself long enough to be right eventually?), given the current population of travellers, and the number of recipients of social welfare, and the ability of the State to have sufficient numbers in employment to continue to support those families.

You overlooked the first line in the page you’re quoting from which demonstrates that in order for your prediction to have any merit, it would require an explosion of monumental proportions in the birth rate among just travellers alone, to be even worth considering -

The total number of usually resident Irish Travellers enumerated in April 2016 was 30,987 representing 0.7 per cent of the general population.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp8iter/p8iter/p8itd/

That, is a minority, not half the bloody population of Ireland 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Mrs Brown's Boys should be taken off the air for good ... for the past 12 years we have been martyred with this rubbish ...

Another ...

Imelda May is not someone I can listen to anymore ...

When she came on the scene originally back in 2008 she was a breath of fresh air singing jazz/swing/R&B ...... stuff that was different to the norm .... it was great to see RTE promote something other than boybands and other Louis Walsh fare ....

.... but since 2014 Imelda May has become the same as the rest singing the usual pop/modern country bland stuff RTE typically throw at us ... a pity because she used to be good ....

A final ...

Trump and Netanyahu belong in prison ...

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Castrating women is a very controversial opinion indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its a thread about controversial opinions ,If everyone agreed they'd be in the wrong thread ,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,268 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

We need to move away from our pagan and folklore past in certain aspects of our history.

They had a news feature on the Winter Solstice in Newgrange yesterday, and it came across more like a piece on a pile of crusties gathered at a tourist attraction to make noise and get high. There was even some eejit from Latvia going around topless. I was quietly surprised they managed to get up out of bed early enough for it though. Nothing on the actual ancient ritual itself and how it's impressive architecture.

It's embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Mass immigration will bring about the end of the EU and Ireland will be absolutely shafted by France/Germany once the project starts failing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Eamonn Ryan gets grief unnecessarily

Grow lettuce at home, how did this attract lettuce-head nicknames? I was in a houseshare and myself and the other tenants grew vegetables in a little plot we made. It was fun.

Car sharing in rural areas. Car sharing exists in Dublin and I used it and was very happy. If a private company wants to trial this in rural areas what harm? If it fails then a private company still have their cars and try somewhere else. 30 cars for an area of 1,000 people was the suggestion he made, why not trial it?

Turf contractors portray themselves as 1950’s poor farmers saving a bit a’ turf with the sweat of their labour. Families cutting turf wasn’t the problem, it’s contractors doing it on an industrial scale and claiming what harm. Denis Naughton TD being one of these contractors while claiming the gardai were coming to grab pensioners. Acting as a man of the people while making money

And I’ll admit I fell asleep in a work meeting, it can happen, let’s not crucify someone for falling asleep

Advertisement