Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Got the following installed last week based on a quote given in August.

5kw array based on a south and east split

6kw hybrid inverter

5kw dyness battery

Eddi

Ber cert to be supplied myself.

€8,900 after grant. Looking at recent prices here I think I got a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭harvindhillon

For 12x Jinko 410w panels

5kw Huawei hybrid invertor

I'm getting quotes around €10,800 to €11,700.

This is before grants. Is it reasonable or am I getting fleeced here. I asked 4 to 5 companies and all are around the same

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭sligopaul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

seems high for basic system.. and why a hybrid inverter if no battery?

then again, what's the consensus pricing guidance anymore? is the market too volatile (aka gouging) to have any guidance? 😐

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1 michaelfromdublin

Hi everyone and thanks for all the good info on here. I've a quote here for a flat roof. I'll be charging and EV, no boiler and intend to sell back to the grid.

14x370w ja panels

1kw solis hybrid inverter

renosol roof mount

11,950 before grant.

Sounds a bit on the high end but reputable company that many recommend.

• Advertisement

Yea thought so too and such a big difference in price for similar setups.

The hybrid inventor was just to have an option to have a battery if there is too much exporting and might make it worth while. I was told the price between the hybrid and non-hybrid is around €800

Yea, pretty similar to what I got with my quotes. It's a tiring process, been at it since November, :D

Most companies seem to provide similar hardware, there are some that go for European or US tech with significantly higher prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

But a Huawei inverter can only use one of their own or a LG battery. These are very expensive.

Don't get one of their hybrid inverters based on possibly upgrading later.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I got an alternative quote from your supplier. They were cheaper but not by that much, certainly prices have gone up since you got it done. In the end when I included the differences, there was about a grand in the difference. Managed to knock that down to round him down so it worked out at €600 of a difference. Considering they are local to me, they have a set date for me and won't be hard to find if something goes wrong (not that the other company would but they sre 250km away from me). His roofer is also doing another small job for me when he is up there which would have cost a few hundred. All in all the maybe €300 difference is nothing in the long run but I do appreciate the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

could get an Eddi or something similar instead, or more panels! 😂😆 and forget the battery, now with CEG\FIT in place

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Unless it’s an in roof system with optimisers on every panel and a premium hybrid inverter like solar edge it’s not a good price.

also if you are only doing 6 panels because of space; try to insist on 420W panels

but that said you can only work with the quotes you have been given. So keep trying for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Blues14

wondering if it’s worth getting the battery with Feed-In Tariff in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

100 percent worth it. Charge overnight at cheap rates and use during the day. You won't have enough solar in winter months. I'd go as far as saying a battery is worth it more than solar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Regular contributors will know that I'm fairly pro-battery, not just for fiscal (making your money back) reasons, but also cause I think it's the right thing to do for the grid. That said, you need to do your sums if it's worth it for you.

Typical "rule of thumb" is that the size of the battery is your yearly consumption in kwhr/1000. E.g. if you use 5000 units a year, then a 5Kwhr is probably a decent match. If you consume more like say 10-12K etc, then batteries come into their own. If you are in about 3000-4000 units a year, it's much more debatable if you should get one. Again, that's just a rule of thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

Looks like I might have gotten a quote from the same crowd as Wyldewood above.

12 400 watt panels 1722 x 1134mm

Solis Inverter single phase, Dual string with Irish configuration

Pitched roof mounting kit, retrofit kit, clamps, brackets etc.

MC4 Connectors male & female

- 2-Pole DC Isolator switch - IP66/67

- 4-Pole AC Isolator switch - IP6/67

- 3.5kwh Battery Storage

- EddiPower Diverter. Diverts all excess energy towards immersion heater.

- Wi-Fi Remote Monitoring.

€10k after grant.

Any opinions please?

Does that battery sizing take into account charging at night rates let's say quarter of day rate and avoiding using any or as little day rate as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Blues14

How do people find them when house has heat pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

I consume about 17kwh per day and I have gone with a 10kWh battery. So in summer I hope to get all the way through the night on the charge from the previous day. But in winter I’ll obv charge it up at night and the 10kwh + whatever I generate during the day will hopefully get me most (but I suspect not all the way) through the worst production days. But some days in winter I expect to gen 4-5 KWh so it will be close.

I have the huawei battery, and I choose it for this reason, as I can add an additional 5kWh module on top if I decide 10 isn’t quite enough for the winter.

I’m still on a standard tarrif (I do have a smart meter) im still trying to decide if I should start discharging the battery as soon as it’s charged, or wait till the peak period in the evening as the point to start discharging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

Can't help but think there is a niche for a trusted supplier for boardsies. Someone with fair pricing, responds to boards queries, has reasonable lead in time, but best of all has the trust of this community.

Finding a supplier feels like an endless trudge through many small time strangers, some of whom are not in business a full solar year. 60% of these will ignore your query, the rest will take weeks to reply and then have no consistency to pricing. You do feel many are in it mainly to print money.

Adding solar is a major project, with significant cost and risk. I have the money saved, and am happy to wait 3-4 months lead time, etc - but it all feels a bit wild west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Advertisement

sounds very similar to our usage pattern. I went with 9.5kwh battery and probably could do with another 5kwh to get me comfortably to night time rates.. i phoned electric ireland and they switched me to their night boost tariff.. i already had a smart meter.. didn't lock me into a new contract or anything.. i did loose the headline discount i had on the electricity but its working out better for us.. i can charge the battery and run the dishwasher/washing machine and charge car between 2am and 4am at 12 cents a kwh. The base load of the house is covered from 11pm to 8am at 20 cents kwh.. i have the battery set to charge from 2am to 8am.. in reality it doesn't charge past 5am most nights.. it starts discharging at 8. thats when the day ray goes to 44 cents kwh.. some nights the battery will run out around 9 if a lot of cooking etc going on and there has been no solar..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

It's a "rule of thumb" not meant to be an exact equation - but yes that is the idea to cover your day rate from night time charging. Is it perfect? Hell no, but it's easy to come up with "some" sizing which doesn't involve Excel for people. In truth, to do it properly you should work out your consumption knowing what your user profile is for your house. Is there someone there for the daytime in the house, who can use solar? What load shifting can you do to night time, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭con747

There is a list of trusted installers in a sticky https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058243236/solar-pv-boards-members-installer-information#latest the problem is they are booked solid for months. I had my installer here today putting up 4 more panels and doing other bits and he is booked solid until June. I asked him about the panels in April but told him I was in no rush because I new he was busy and would do them when in my area again which was today.

Also there has been price increases but the better installers try to keep it to a minimum where possible but their costs have increased like everyone else's.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mollysmam

im completely clueless to all the ins and outs of solar just starting my research we have a large enough 5 bed detached house and are interested in solar. I emailed a company local to me and got this in return. Anyone give any insight as to whether it’s a good system or not. Does the pricing seem ok?

System size: 6.4KW - PV Panels – Leapton 400w by 16 - All black Panels.

Panel Mounting – Renusol

Inverter - Solis single phase 5G inverter.

Total cost: €10,120 including VAT.

SEAI Grant - €2,400

Price after grant - €7,780

OptionaHot water – €700 for Eddi Divertor 

Optional Battery – Add €3,500 for 5.1 CFE 

Warranties - 25 years for both performance and panel, 10 years on inverter & battery.

Whole system Workmanship warranty - 5 years.

Insurance – Included.

price doesnt seem to bad.. .. couple of basic things to consider.. what orientation is your roof.. east/south/west etc.. do you know your annual usage? you can get this from a monthly esb bill and multiply it out.. do you have an electric vehicle?

That's a good price considering some on here lately but get a 6kw inverter for that price and if they could do better on the battery and water diverter it would be as good as you will get nearly. The fact the company is local is a bonus if anything ever goes wrong or you want extra stuff done in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

Quoted for a 4.6Kw system,

12 Recom panels,

4kw Huawei Inverter

5Kw Huawei battery

Eddi is 550 extra.

13550 before grant

Good, babd, another place were quoting me 9k just for a battery!

Have a look at post #4048 a couple of posts above. That quote of yours is way out, have you put an inverter in that quote instead of a battery? You have 2 inverters listed. Huawei gear is not much better than the likes of Solis for a much lower price and better compatibility for future adding of batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement