Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe Calving Area

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

yellow50HX wrote: »
    sorted

So, have you 2 pens on the right hand side of that right pillar also?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

So, have you 2 pens on the right hand side of that right pillar also?

pen on the left is the calving pen as this is the side the cow goes into the crush gate. i use the gate to coral her in (or put a bucket of meal in front of her. I probably should get a semi auto gate (might look for one on DD). gate can also be used to project my self as its normally high enough to go over a calf on the ground.

the other side is just a normal star bed pen which can be accessed from the front or from the calving pen. depending on the what size i want it i can move the bales. normally i use it for cows and young calves until the calf are big enough to use the creep area. i can split it using a gate if needed.

i stitch the pallets to the bales with wire, saves having to use girders and digging up the floor. woks really well as it provides shelter and i can just roll a bale down for bedding.

Well, I put up my calving area. Just one problem I have. Similar to what I posted above. Before the cow calves, it's generally no bother get them in the calving gate. But try getting them in the gate with a calf on the ground and then the fun starts. 9 times out of 10, the cow won't leave the calf and put her head tru the gate. Meal won't even tempt them. Any ideas?

Had a second calver calve this evening. She popped out the calf no bother. No way could I get her in the calving gate. Spend a long time trying to tempt her with meal but no good. About 2 hours later the calf drank one teat on her own but didn't latch on to a second. If I had her in the gate, I could have got her to drink a second. Spend a couple of hours messing with them this evening.

It's happened a few times this year. I lost one calf that I suspect didn't drink the cow right at the start, so I'm very careful now about getting that first drink.

Any ideas? What do ye do in this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭893bet

I freeze beastings from random cows that are quiet and allow me to milk them by hand. Feed that to more difficult cows.

if you have a gate is the idea not to get them in the headstock before they calf?

No, better to let them calf on their own normally. Even if you do use the gate, you'd normally let them out then to lick the calf.

Getting them back in is the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

What's the way you have it set up? If you have it set up the way they do it above would you need to put a cow into the locking gate? Risk of her trying to clear the gate I suppose if you just have a gate swung around for her to be in the make up crush.

Another option is to have the head locking gate inside the pen and have the calving gate and extensions hinged on the locking gate. Then when you have the cow away from the calf and those gates secured, quickly pull the calf to the head of the crush so she'll run up.

But I see problems with this - you're still running the risk of the cow making a charge or trying to clear the gate and if she calves where the make up crush would be you'll have trouble doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I've the bosteel calving gate & the way I do it is 1st high molasses crunch in head gate, good sweet stuff, & in the bucket their used to seeing for nuts. If that doesn't work then I close the full gate around on them & force them along to the head gate. In awkward situations when gate is over I'd pull calf out into other pin then close gate & catch her with headgate when she goes looking. The bosteel gates are fairly strong so I'm well protected. I never enter the pin unless cow is secured.

My cows are mostly quiet so nuts in headgate work most times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Here its slide a loose gate between the cow and calf in the pen. The loose gate is held in place propped on the feeder at one end and hung on a post between the headlock and calving gate, creating a makeshift crush. put the calf in front of the calving gate headlock, and in she goes. Remove the loose gate and secure her with the section of the calving gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭minerleague

One option is move the cow and calf out of pen with headlock to adjoining pen after calving, then if you need to help calf to suck open gate back to first pen, cow thinks she getting out leaving calf behind. lock her in and bring calf upto front of headlock

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

I will take some pics of my calving setup this week. I've high gates so you can swing them over calves to lock the mother back. Great when a calf isn't standing or needs a bottle. Also good for putting iodine on and when you need to tag.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sorry but I just don’t bother with any of that crap anymore, I let nature take it’s course. It took about 15 years for the cows to learn to sort it out themselves. Had one calf this year that had to be handled with a leg down, and had to get help. Getting the pre-calver minerals right was the big break through for me. No more dopey calves.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

I'm a bit similar to Blue. Have 2 calving pens if needed. All calves outside this year. Had to handle one but it was a matter of put the ropes on a give a pull by hand. Calving cows in sheds is something it try to avoid. Checking them a few times a day is key

Precalver is a must, but having exercise for the cow is the most important I feel. If see has loads of space and can use the lie of the land to sit comfortably and encourage the calf into the right position. Leads to a livelier calf and more inclined to suck. Perfect clean environment and a lot lot less scour. Lower cost and less time needed.

This years calving pen, was a portion of a wet paddock fenced off with a few strip wires. Stagger the wire in a zig zag fashion and move a stake or 2 every day. The paddock got 2 drains put into it now and quick till with a landleveller and chain harrow. Shake of grass seed and it better than the start of the year.

Secondly bull choice. Nothing of the extreme. Motto here is cow goes in calf easy, calves easy and rears calf easily. Use of some ai is great for heifers and breeding replacements. This helps to avoid sleepy dopey calves.

Would i do without a calving pen? Not in an asses roar. Handy for the time it's needed and safe. Keep the system simple is the motto. Cow has to do the work.

Bright side not a bale of straw used at calving

I was like the that. Calved them all out when weather is fine but lost calves that I suspect didn't drink right at the start. Plus no fun chasing a cow around in the dark of the night outside in a field.

I give mineral bonuses to all before calving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I calve them all out side too, in a little field between the house and yard, I can keep an eye on them from the kitchen window, stand at the back door and shine a light around the field at night, it is working well, they have a wee shed and yard to go into for silage or shelter, there. I calve from mid March unit till end of April for the bulk of them and then you ll end up for the few stragglers until June sometimes. There would be 5 /6 cows in the field at any time, it does get well dug up but the chain harrow and a bit of hayseed and it back to itself in a few weeks. We find cows are happier and calves are far healthier this way than before when we used to be trying to manage them in sheds. The stragglers are the ones that end up causing most trouble as you are busy with other things and you don't tend to keep as tight of an eye on them as you would when there is a few in the paddock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

All I can say is we never knew about c-sections or prolapse until they were housed. Having said that there is great comfort in having them housed with facilities, cameras and lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

No one setup will suit everyone, years ago we used to calve them outside because we had no shed, all well and good until you need a vet at 3am on a pissy cold night with muck and shite everywhere, and there will always be at least one every year.

Sorry i have'nt any new advice for the shed situation, i suppose a swinging gate hung high enough to clear a lying calf as already suggested is probably as good as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I'm looking for recommendations on a calving gate. After the spills of rain I'm thinking of putting a handling gate/crush into the gable end of a old stone shed that is beside the slatted shed. The stone shed is split into sorta three equal parts - c. 12' x 15' with concrete floors. There is no electricity in the shed but I can get an electrician to sort that out. The nearest gable end of the shed that I would like to use is about 12' from the slatted unit but the access for a cow would be to walk her through the current c. 5' x 5'9" doorway. We have an outside crush along the slatted unit but I'd prefer to be under a roof in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

We’ve a gibney gate here, the local store ordered it for us, it’s 10ft & the smallest you can get

Has been a great investment, we’ve an extendable gate dividing 2 pens we use to help direct the cow into the headstock

This setup is good. I like the way the gate swings in at the back. Simple but effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Wonder what the machine up on the wall at the end of the crush is for. An electric winch from lidl above the c section gate is useful to have, to lift a big calf up in the air after removal from the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

I don't think them winches would be suitable. They're too fast/ instant. One would want one that you could move an inch at a time. It's why you never saw an electric winch on a hoof crate, only hydraulically operated ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Possibly, maybe a manual geared pulley winch so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Good setup. Only drawback I see is the bottom bars on the calving gate will prevent getting a calf in underneath properly to get it to suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Micey.ie

Just a thought but would the gate post at back not get in the way when jacking a calf especially from a shortish cow

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Jaysus Bob Sherrif has got old looking! Well I suppose I haven’t seen him for nearly 40 years. Good idea with the curved gate in the corner.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

If that post at the back is fixed in the ground which I think it is then it’s a balls of a set up for jacking calves.

Advertisement