Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Yeah it's always busy which I guess is a credit to them,they are decent to get the queue moving to be fair! The salsa wings are unreal in there and then there's the desserts.....🤤

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

not eaten there since I was a student - but for my 30th Birthday cake my OH got me a whole Banoffee pie cake from Scoozi's. so so delicious.. I wonder if they still do it.. they prob do..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

It's about time Scoozis took reservations. It was one thing that turned me off going there with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

ah I see Scoozis are still doing the old queue trick, been at it for years. A large queue outside with 50% of the restaurant empty at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Well, it is always going to work out better for the restaurant if they can get away without taking bookings and still get the custom. You can turn over WAY more tables that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

yep, clearly, they are doing something right since they've been in business for such a long time.

Had a really lovely lunch in the café part of the Farm Gate, the other day.

Much better choice in that part now with table service and hot food.

Their roast chicken was really good - not at all overcooked or dry.

had food in The leaping Salmon last night - we had pizza, garlic bread, chips and chicken goujons.. pizza ok - not great flavour of the tomato sauce.. Novecento still No. 1. in my books.., garlic bread was fab, goujons ok (not a patch on Sober Lane),.. chips sad little tasteless things..

Unfortunately we wer in a side room thru which there was a cold draught so not v comfy but the company was great so we had a nice eve..

Headed to The Pier Head in after for drinks - that was v nice.. great spot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Yikes, did they not have anything else food-wise in the salmon for you to choose from? Has the menu changed, or are they now doing a kiddie menu? Chicken nuggets and pizza sounds like something you'd get at one of those grim children's party places like bounce zone. Their online menu doesn't have nuggets or chips on it.

They used to do crab claws, prawn pil pil , charcuterie, white pizzas. Any of those still there?

most wanted pizza - 1 of the gang chose goujons.. came with lots of sad little "chips"..

dunno about the other items.. we chose what we wanted..

you seem to have a problem with my review.. tis what it is..

• Advertisement

I think the problem was with your choices, not your review. Pretty judgy, really.

Naw just disappointed if they removed the decent stuff off their menu, and replaced it with other stuff. And it's not great when places don't update their online menu either. Wasn't sure if it was the case or not. No prob if you can't remember. Seems to have gone downhill by the sound of it. I was there about a month ago and the atmosphere was a bit weird / cliquey. There was a barman who seemed to be drinking with the customers, felt like intruding on their personal bar.

yeah I wouldn't be rushing back at all.. and I felt a little bit bad as I had chose the venue for our gang - but it had been recommended to me - for the pizza.. after we ate we pretty much headed off to the next spot..

might have been warmer for us to sit in the main bar but it was a sat night in Dec with the match on so busy - seemed like about 90% men too lol

Yeah, odd, it was 90% men when I was there as well. And some sport was on the telly. I suppose they're just changing who they cater for.

Pier head is a great spot now though. Even in the cold, the outside area is lovely and they have blankets and hot water bottles.

I heard the Southern Star is open now as well, with a food truck out the back? Ernest Horgan involved there too. I'm not up to speed on which pubs he is involved with at the moment, but I thought it was goldbergs and the leaping salmon, might not still be the case, I can't keep up. And I think the other people involved with Goldbergs had taken over the pier head inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

What does it matter what they ordered? It it's on the menu it should be of a high quality

I didn't have any problem. Another poster appeared to have a problem with the choices made by the poster who reviewed the restaurant.

Hence why I claimed it was pretty "judgy". Do try to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Anyone recommend somewhere like Havelii in Douglas? Doesn't have to be Douglas, have to travel to pick up there too.

Against my better judgement, but loving their Makani, got a takeaway there last week.

Chicken portions in the food back up, no change in taste, really good. But stung us for the price of a dinner for a tikka masala sauce as we have a kid who doesn't eat meat and they don't offer Tofu. So happy to eat sauce and rice.

So for 4 mains, 1 sauce and 5 rice and 2 small naan, got loose change from €100.

Far too expensive. For takeaway anyway imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Coriander in Douglas is really good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I agree!

Got the lamb rogan josh the last time I was there (lovely!), but was glancing at the veg thali of my fellow diner, looked lovely!

Pity that Haveli is still take away only, or is it still?

@airy fairy Coriander seems like your only other option for that style of Indian.

But, yeah, you will be paying restaurant prices of €20+ per person, which isn't great for takeaway.

@airy fairy Have you checked out that South Indian takeaway in Douglas? Indian Spice Kitchen?

I haven't been yet, so cannot give guidance... It's takeaway only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Indicative menu

Yeah, thanks @Debub, but I have nowhere to eat my dosa but the street :(

I would go, if there is any suitable place outside to sit maybe?

Thali on Maylor Street is a fab.. its Nepalese but basically Indian.. but its reallllly fab.. not cheap - but worth i

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Had it once. Vada Pav and samosas were very nice but thought the biryani and curry were a bit bland. I got veggie stuff so maybe the meat dishes are better. Going to give the dosas a try next time.

There's also a well stocked food shop to browse while you're waiting to pick up the hot food.

Good suggestion! I forgot about Thali... Not cheap, but huge portions! I hope they still sell the jimbu....

I haven't been to Thali since they were on Pope's Quay.

Went a few times when they first opened but it wasn't long before their prices went up and their portions went down. Just didn't seem worth it then.

Anyone been to Jane's cafe on Shandon street? Hard to find a decent omelette in the city apart from cafe Maurius in the English market. Or maybe Priory?

it it €€ but the restaurant is fab... I think one shud dine in as oppose to get take out... prob the best way to get value for money #ambiance/service - staff are fab... wouldn't be my fab cuisine but OH lovvves it - he's a regular there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Has anyone tried The Egg Bar in the Marina Market? It looks interesting, but I’m quietly disappointed that they haven’t drawn on Severance and made their slogan “it’s coveted as fûck”.

Advertisement