Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Nobody cares about Covid anymore"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Exactly. It's the anti-everything brigade still wailing about things which either didn't happen or are long over, meanwhile everybody else is just getting on with their life.

It's deliciously ironic.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Now that the pandemic is over I'm hearing that the hospitals are well overwhelmed. Absolutely ghastly I'm hearing.

No time for TikTok dance routines now.

I've said it a few times on covid forums, they're not promoting healthy living enough here.

It's all tablet's and jabs these days. Nobody talks about eating healthy, exercise,fresh air and the great outdoors.

Some of the conspiracy theorists are saying that the elites want us on a diet of bug's, lol eat zee bug's... they'll be feeding idiots maggots next

• Registered Users Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The "measures" did little to nothing. There was absolutely no scientific data behind almost all of them. Masks did little to nothing either. It was all pure hysteria.

The best thing that happened was vaccines and most of us catching COVID and getting immunity.

You can see from the lack of excess deaths in Ireland that the illness didn't kill many that wouldn't have died very soon anyways.

People have finally realised that it's not serious enough to warrant all the attention it was getting. It's a very mild illness now for most.

• Advertisement

The cheek of them showing a picture of one bed and empty corridors...

That's a form of mental gymnastics, it doesn't effect me. But it's like a picture of a beautiful house, and unbeknownst to people the horror's within are absolute organized chaos.

Not sure why the stock photo is a trigger.

But here's another one, can't guarantee the source of that one.

https://www.rte.ie/news/health/2020/0102/1103925-hospital-overcrowding/

Definitely not a trigger, but the picture is not exactly matching the story.

That's like showing a calm picturesque harbor scene from the summer time, while reporting on a severe winter storm that battered the hell out of a harbor. Everyone has Smart phone's nowadays.

Using stock photos is pure laziness. I know about the problems with accident and emergency. But posting a picture of one empty bed and an empty corridor is just ridiculous. Obviously they have zero creativity and definitely wouldn't catch the attention of a good story.

Here's one from today...

Maybe we could suggest they show an image from the Dart at peak or some thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,229 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Some people who are vaxxed still prefer to wear a mask also some people have underlying medical conditions which make them more vunerable to COVID masks protect you against colds flu apart from COVID

Anyone who works in hospitals old folks home etc still has to wear a mask and take precautions against COVID

Of course when most people got vaxxed the government relaxed the strict lockdown rules the economy has to go back to normal

I don't understand how anyone nowadays would refuse to get vaxxed even if they are young and healthy it's free what's the harm in getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Pretty much all incorrect.

Since the virus spread chiefly via close contact, naturally masks, social distancing and lockdowns reduced that (big drop in cases whenever temp lockdowns were introduced). Likewise we had the same measures with the 1918 Spanish flu epidemic. Around 8,000 people in Ireland died as a result of Covid, would have been many more if not for the measures.

In Sweden they took a famously relaxed approach to measures which resulted in proportionally much higher deaths than their closest socio-economic neighbours.

Despite the facts, it's unsurprising to see people still peddling this anti-science and Covid denial stuff

Despite the facts, it's unsurprising to see people still peddling this anti-science and Covid denial stuff

I think we are well into deja-vu mode here now. They are stuck in loop.

"Nobody cares about Covid anymore"

The revisionists do, they are feverishly revising the pandemic on the internet to suit their anti-whatever agendas.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Just coming out of a mild dose of Covid now ... runny nose, headcold type thing ... tested positive .... did not stop me enjoying the world cup or doing most things I wanted to do ... off work for a week TG .... I had flu before and much worse ...

I feel the initial lockdowns and so on were utter madness ... when they went on for so long ... my Covid experience was the norm ... should we have come up with a way of protecting those with COPD/etc rather than locking every business down and telling people they cannot travel outside of 2/5km?? This was not done during 2009/2010 Swine flu pandemic ...

I think going forward that Covid is always going to be there ... for most it is mild ... but for some they need to protect themselves .... I have it and avoided Christmas office parties ... for that I am eternally grateful to Covid ... I hope I get it every year around this time !!....

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I always felt lockdown and travel restriction policies were much worse than the Covid itself ... I remember when it first hit ... the whole country was tuning into media listening to the panic ... regions locked down in Italy, apartments locked down in Spain ... and so on ... then the dreaded first case here ... then the media questioning the government and everyone wanting 'action to be taken' and willing to trade away their freedoms ... eventually the dreaded 2km rule came after a series of lockdown measures on 27th March 2020 ...

2-5 KM rules last for months on end in Ireland ... people angry, frustrated, hopeless ... extremist groups trying to take advantage ... a dominance of pro-lockdown entities at NPHET ... a lack of trust between government and people ... incl people who were not the usual knock the govt for the sake of it brigade but people who voted for Varadkar et al ...

I remember the snide putdowns of the Czech medical professional on Primetime by some NPHET guy when the Czech gentleman said Covid could be managed by wearing masks and other such things ... and the NPHET u-turn on masks .... at first when masks were suggested as an alt to lockdowns NPHET said they provided no protection ... only to later say they did and built a policy around their usage in place of lockdowns ... I remember the complete lack of serious opposition to lockdowns and stay at home orders ...

We are aware that inflation, debt and damaged economies are the result of lockdown policies ... and some very evil government came into power in Russia during that time too ... it is very different to what was there before and has lead to this stupid war in Ukraine fought in part because conspiracy theorists have taken over Russia's government 100% during the pandemic ... on the positive side .. Covid may have halted Trump's election victory and his agenda and stopped Trump's Iran war plan ...

Now we here in Ireland do need proper investigations .... we need a plan not panic reactions ... we need to treat pandemics as that and not a national emergency akin to a war as we have seen ...

In conclusion ... I am just recovering from a mild bout of Covid at present ... I tested positive last week and have had a headcold and runny nose type common cold symptoms .... I feel that this is the future for most people regarding experiencing Covid 19 ...

some very evil government came into power in Russia during that time too

Putin?

You mention lockdown reducing cases and then mention Sweden not using lockdown.... So how did cases drop in Sweden? Why didn't they keep rising and rising?

It is because COVID came in waves and cases naturally dropped when a wave peaked regardless of what level of daft restrictions a country had in place.

And there is actually plenty of global data to show this. And the Swedes did well for themselves in the end. They had less deaths than half of Europe despite little to no restrictions on their freedoms.

Now show me the science behind most of Ireland's restrictions? How many lives were saved by pubs closing an hour or two early and charging 9 euro for food? How about the 5Km instead of 8 or 9?

How about opening the windows in schools? Or closing construction during a housing crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This is a like Reeling in the Years, all the classics getting a run out, Sweden, TikTok, Muzzles, €9 meal etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

“Stop pedaling anti-science, we must stick to the 2km from home and the €9 meal rules”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

A lot of posters were saying these things right from the start of Covid while people like you were busy frothing at the mouth in panic and hysteria. The only revisionism is coming from the all restrictions and rules were justified do not question them gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

So despite having no restrictions The Swedish death rate never rose above 1 per 100,000 and dropped to almost zero after a couple of months?

Your ‘gotcha graph’ actually proves the opposite of what you’re trying to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The fallacy is that this discussion is anything to do with Covid.

It is 100% about disaffected people seeking someone to blame for their own bitterness and grudges.

Here we are, out the other side of a very well managed pandemic and the anger is unabated. If anything, it's got worse.

Any government would be insane to try to keep these people happy, it's an impossible task.

If it wasn't Covid, it would be refugees, 5G or the lizard people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Think your post is not the gotcha you think , or maybe you are just gaslighting ?

Over 4 times the death rate of their neighbours on that first wave alone .

Yes it did taper down eventually months after the other countries , and following that disastrous start Sweden did bring in restrictions in Dec 2020 .

But this has been discussed before , in detail on the Sweden Avoiding lockdown thread .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The fallacy is that this discussion is anything to do with Covid.

It is 100% about disaffected people seeking someone to blame for their own bitterness and grudges.

Here we are, out the other side of a very well managed pandemic and the anger is unabated. If anything, it's got worse.

Any government would be insane to try to keep these people happy, it's an impossible task. 

If it wasn't Covid, it would be refugees, 5G or the lizard people.

Of course people are being disaffected.

A few dozen people own more than the rest of the 8 billion. Rich are getting richer. Poor are getting poorer. One construed crisis after another making things worse and worse and washing more and more money to the top. All the while governments are seeking more and more control over everyone's lives.

Maybe, just maybe, its got something to do with governments not actually acting in the interest of the people?

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

All political theatre, as I said earlier, we have welcomed fifty thousand people from Ukraine, a country with a very small uptake of vaccines and not one solitary disapproving frown from the media ( same media who aggressively hammered the government for in anyway deviating from Lord Holohan )

a lot of people don’t like that a mirror is being shown up to what they supported wholeheartedly

“ out the other side “ ?

what do you think caused this ( forty year high ) inflation we are dealing with? , never mind the legacy issues re endless cancellations of cancer , cardiovascular procedures etc

you truly finished the entire bottle of NPHET / government kool aid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

You asked for a reason for why kids should not have been wearing masks.

You got a reason, it's not my fault you don't like the reason.

Either that or you don't think kids not seeing facial expressions is a hinder to their development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Well no its not like any of those.

Those are things that are good and beneficial for kids.

Putting maks on kids was in no way beneficial for them.

Try again.

Advertisement