Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

My take on the whole issue of Belarus would be a tad different from most.

I have my suspicion, that the Russian army station there is more likely part of a bolt-hole safe haven for Putin and his family, rather than an invasion of Ukraine.

Any serious involvement from Belarus in a Russian invasion would be an end to Lukashenko. That would pave the way for an Anti-Russian government to take his place. Putin has no benefit there. While some of those Russian troops might be sent to have a last go at Kyiv they would certainly fail. So why send them? Instead, if those Russian soldiers and their superior officers are 100% loyal to Putin [plenty of money to keep those guys happy, helps] then he would be safe there in the event of being toppled back in Moscow. Putin is certain to have a plan in place for that situation.

As long as Lucky Lukashenko stays where he is, he can continue to serve what would be in effect a Russian mini-state within a Belarus state. The Russian guys, as I am led to believe with some WMDs, would be hard to deal with even if Lucasheko was to be removed. Even NATO or the US would probably not get involved in such a situation. So Putin is safe or so on paper he would be.

Dan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

While I think Ukraine is definitely going for a big offensive when the ground freezes I've heard that the operational silence is due to the uncharacteristically high temperatures meaning the ground has just turned to mush and halted both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I saw reports Ukraine may have advanced 5 km in the North just yesterday (as they were assaulting Soflivka) but absolutely the ground conditions have slowed movements for both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Wait until it gets really cold

Russian milbloggers remarked on poor conditions for Russian forces along the Svatove-Kreminna line and noted that Russian soldiers deployed near Svatove are suffering from ailments associated with poor hygiene and first-aid practices in cold and wet conditions.[28] Another Russian milblogger claimed that the southern part of the Svatove-Kreminna line is “impassable” due to mud and fog.[29]

Russian Offensive Campaign Assessment, December 19 | Institute for the Study of War (understandingwar.org)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I wouldn't know, but since that's from the Ukraine Foreign Ministry, I'm happy to believe them.

I think you are misunderstanding - sure the US are giving stuff as 'aid', but they are also disallowing the Ukrinians from choosing to pay for things the US won't give them but that they might prioritise for their survival or for saving Ukrainian lives.

In other words, the US are indian givers - promising Lend Lease then yanking it.

(Actually I disapprove of the term Indian giver, as it's really the Americans who were 'Indian givers' breaking, annullling or altering every single one of the more than 500 treaties they ever signed with the indigenous people.)

At least they are being consistent with past practices.

• Advertisement

Putin's bolt hole is Switzerland, not Belarus. His wife and their three kids all have Swiss passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Where does the Ukranian Foreign Ministry say any of that?

This is what they said:

The United States is not yet transferring military aid to Ukraine under the Lend-Lease program in order to save the Ukrainian budget in the future.

I'm not misunderstanding. You are not explaining. Your post content does not correlate with what was quoted, and you throw in added historical nonsense.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Well the US modus operandi since Vietnam has been to get others to do the bulk of the dying for them, so thats, possible, but I do think they would rather a quicker end for Russia, no matter how many dead Ukrainians it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This man is on another level when it comes leadership.

Zelensky in bakhmut

Balls of pure brass

The Legend continues to deliver. Contrast with Putin and his cronies too scared to go near any active hot spot, looking out the window of a plane barely at the edge of the special area of operations.

Ha, ha - as I was saying:

Three Putin's planes take off at once to conceal his true route to Belarus

Slimy coward.

• Advertisement

Are you under the impression that what the US is giving them for free is the same as what would be available under lend lease, because it's not. The US is not giving them the lend lease stuff for free, they are only giving them a very restricted subset they have more control over in terms of capabilities.

Nowhere is that said by the Ukranian Foreign Ministry. I'm going on the information you provided. If you have other information pertinent to that point, maybe you could share it instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Looks like another important gas pipline is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭joseywhales

What is that, saving Europe when they are unable or unwilling to save themselves from tyranny?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

Its for the home consumption Francie, like all of RT rubbish they show.

Is the US currently giving Ukraine M1A2 tanks, Patriot missile batteries or F-16s?

What Ukraine to get from US under Lend-Lease-2022 program: List of weapons

According to the Telegram channel "Operational AFU", under the Lend-Lease program providing $20 billion in aid, Ukraine can get:

M1A2 Abrams tanks of the third generation;

US M2A3 Bradley infantry fighting vehicles;

Self-propelled guns M109A6 Paladin;

Multiple launch rocket systems on HIMARS wheeled chassis;

Multi-purpose launcher/MLRS M270 MLRS4;

Mobile Norwegian air defense system NASAMS 2;

SAM Patriot;

F-16 C/D multifunctional light fighter jets of the 4th generation.

https://en.thepage.ua/politics/usa-passes-lend-lease-for-ukraine-2022-what-is-it-and-how-will-it-help-ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Russia has played the "fear of escalation" on the US and West which is precisely the fear it want to stoke and its a bluff all escalation is Russian

The attachs on civilians here is a war crime warrants a patriot system delivery now and more to finish this quicker before Ukrainian morale drops

A coward goes to Belarusian

A brave leader goes to bakmut

What has that got to do with Lend Lease and your original point? They could be given under either scheme.

Why do you think they haven't seen their most sophisticated systems \ systems requiring extensive training and logistics support?

The timelines for putting F16 pilots and logistics in place are considerable.

They have sent HIMARS which have had significant impact on the battlefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Three people were killed, one was injured in an explosion on the Urengoy-Pomary-Uzhgorod gas pipeline in Chuvashia

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mike3549

I dont know, look at the map. How TF will he get there? Hidden in a suitcase? To get to Switzerland you have to pass an EU country and i might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure all EU borders are closed for russians. Unless of course he has a swiss passport himself, which was rumoured earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I can't see the West losing interest. Putin now poses a major threat to Europe - if he was left to his own devices, goodness knows what he might try next. Perhaps invade all of Georgia or attack Kazakhstan.

At Morris Air National Guard Base, Ariz., Eastern European pilots from Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, and Slovakia have been taking the six-month ANG International Initial Qualification Course (Advanced) for more than two decades. In fact, today’s young Romanian pilots have never flown MiGs, which are being phased out of Romania’s Air Force as it seeks to expand its fleet of F-16s and eventually to buy F-35s.

Ukrainian pilots will learn to fly F-15s and F-16s in the United States

Published: June 23 2022

Zelensky asked for all this back in May, so having seen 9 months as a minimum mentioned, they would have been good to go come February had they started then.

But all of this is following the peacetime rule book. It probably would surprise a few people to learn that Ukrainian pilots have been training with the US National Guard since 1993: https://taskandpurpose.com/news/ukraine-air-force-pilots-fight-russia/

Given all that, the time for such experinced pilots to convert might be less than the official ideal. When the UK's very existence was at stake in WW2, the pilot training time was shortened to a lot less than the ideal. Towards the end of that war, my father was made an acting squadron leader and tasked with training Dutch pilots to fly fighters. I gather it didn't go too well and he wasn't terribly complimentary about them.

Supposedly there are Ukrainian pilots in the US who have been training to fly the A-10 for quite while now.

“The goal for Clear Sky 2018 was to open up that aperture to large-force engagements,” explains Jersey, “plus we flew some Basic Fighter Maneuvers [BFM, aka dogfighting], but really it was about everything we do in western-style tactical aviation, and expose the Ukrainians to all of that.” It also gave an opportunity for pilots from both air arms to fly in each other's fighters.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44965/u-s-f-15-pilot-on-what-it-is-like-fighting-against-ukraines-fighter-pilots

@cnocbui Supposedly there are Ukrainian pilots in the US who have been training to fly the A-10 for quite while now....

Not true , there's still no sign of Ukrainans learning to fly F16s either

Well yes, I do doubt he's going to Steve McQueen it on a Triumph TR6 and jump the border, as in The Great Escape, but it's barely possible he might have access to several hundred jet aircraft he could fly there in. I'm pretty sure there is no European ban on Russian flights carrying embassy diplomats and employees. I'll bet he's got some deal done with the Swiss, if not a passport. He has many billions stashed there.

https://www.businessinsider.com/russian-aircraft-adds-6-hours-flight-time-avoid-eu-airspace-2022-7?op=1&r=US&IR=T

Not officially, but there have been some Ukrainian pilots in the US, learning to fly A-10s on simulators. https://time.com/6207115/ukraine-train-fighter-pilots-russia/

I have flown the A-10 in X-Plane and it's a lovely thing to fly.

They aren't even in real simulators, just flying games with VR headsets on off the shelf gaming PCs

Pretty much obvious this isn't the work of the Pentagon or US government....

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Sanctions were never going to be enough to end this thing. Only deluded and/or naive people actually bought into that narrative.

Sanctions were only ever designed as a punishment for the invasion, not really a mechanism to end the war.

No matter what the western propagandists tell you, Ukraine do not have the military muscle to score a complete victory over Russia. And Russia appear to be in this thing for the long haul. There is close to 0% chance that the Russians will just pack their bags and feck off home, which is what most in the west are hoping for.

A negotiated settlement will eventually become the only realistic option left on the table. But it will likely take several years before that becomes a possibility. In the meantime, we will have to listen to lots more belligerent talk from people with their heads firmly ensconced in sand. As is sadly very often the way in history - there is a certain level of human misery that needs to be achieved, before peace becomes the preferred option. But unfortunately, it's never completely clear where that point is... but it's clear that we have not reached that point yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was reading a book many moons ago IIRC it was by some SAS guy and what he said surprised me though it makes sense. That is really cold, IE below freezing is actually less stressful. IF you have the right kit. That temp range between 0-10 degrees is much worse. Why? Damp. You just can't get dry and you're more likely to succumb to hypothermia and things like trench foot. It's harder to move across ground for men and materiel and is just a total pain in the arse. Below zero it's actually much drier and again IF you have the right kit you're more effective as a fighting force. I do remember reading of German experience in WW2 and Russia and one guy saying it wasn't Russia's "General Winter" that was the real killer and tactical nightmare it was "Generals Autumn" and "General Spring".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

British Defense Secretary: Russia intends to provide Iran with modern military equipment in exchange for drones

Dundalk, Co. Louth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement