Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Every single French fan from all the other clubs, cheered and got behind LAR. As if they were their own. The Munster fans were cheering for LAR too. As they probably will be in Dublin 2. Marseille was as close to a home game as any team will ever have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If Leinster or Ulster are not involved, I couldn't be arsed! I do like Exeter and ROG. So them doing well wouldn't upset me.

This would literally be a home game for Leinster though, given we typically play a number of games each year in the stadium.

There was no shortage of tickets for Marseille last year, so you had a sizable neutral presence. A Leinster final in the Aviva, being possibly Sexton's last game and definitely Stu Lancaster's would see a significant clamour for tickets from Leinster fans. I would have zero concerns about it 100% feeling like a home game for Leinster if it comes to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I gotta say I'm looking forward to the Munster clash coming up now.

I don't think there will be wholesale changes but I think the team will be mildly chopped and changed for Munster, Connacht and Ospreys with us going whole hog again for Europe after it.

Assuming Andy Friends 7 games in 9 comment is accurate, ourselves and Munster will need to carefully manage our players.

I can't see us selecting Ringrose, VDF or Doris or the likes as their minutes have racked up. But I can see us going pretty strong all the same.

I'd love to see Sexton (and possibly Healy?) selected for what could be their last trip to Thomond. Lowe should be selected too as he's just the embodiment of what the rivalry used to be. Munster hate him and he loves being the panto villain to them. It's such a brilliant dimension.

I think Furlong will be given xmas off to make sure he's right for Europe and 6N. He's the type of athlete who can just motor on from standing so he should be ok.

I'm not sure we will see Keenan and Jimmy in the same team now for a bit unless we look at Osborne at FB

I'd LOVE to see McCarthy and Jenkins in the same pack as when adding Baird in at back row Munster just wont have an answer for the power there but Molony should get it for set piece. I don't think McCarthy is a LO caller yet and Thomond aint the best place to start it for him.

Could see a team the likes of:

Byrne, Kelleher, Clarkson

Molony Jenkins

Baird, Deegan, Penny

McGrath, Sexton

Ngatai, Osborne

Lowe, JOB, Larmour

McKee, Healy, Vakh, McCarthy, Ruddock, Foley, Byrne, Kearney

I would rest Molony! He's been flogged. Or at least rest him in one of the interpro's. Clarkson needs to feel the intensity of a derby. He won't improve unless he's tested. McCarthy will probably start this one. He's lost time with Jenkins coming on board.

Doubt if Ringrose plays, Ryan also and maybe big Mike. I too would rest Furlong. This one is perfect timing for young lads. A chance to put themselves forward. I believe Connors is close to a return? He might get onto the bench. I hope Penny starts! Opportunities are tough to come by.

• Advertisement

I just had a thought that with Stu leaving, will he pilfer any of our lads? Would he look at Big Mike? Ruddock?

That's always a concern when a coach leaves and goes to a big club.

The point @arsebiscuits1 makes above is well made though - you can't just mix and match any two second rows you like - you have to have someone in there to call the lineouts, and as far as I know that means ideally one of James Ryan or Ross Molony need to be there. We lost Devin Toner this year who was a line out caller too.

There's no way Joe McCarthy has called (if he does at all) in a senior match for Leinster yet, and as far as I know none of Jenkins, Baird or any other backrows call the lineouts.

I know its a skill that players need to develop, but Thomond Park isn't the place to try and do it for the first time.

Molony has played 696 minutes this year, which is a lot, but he did get a couple of weeks' rest during the international window (played 70 or so against NZ A). Ryan hasn't played that much less than them when you consider he played two 80 min games against SA & Aus (which are higher intensity than anything Molony or Jenkins have played).

I'd start Molony and Jenkins in Thomond, with Joe McCarthy off the bench for the last 25 or so.

Definitely will be resting a few lads but I think this will be treated as a warm up for the Six Nations so wouldn't be surprised to see a few bigger names. I suspect Farrell will be having words with both coaches.

Healy Kelleher Ala'Alatoa

Jennings McCarthy

Baird Penny Conan

JGP Sexton

Henshaw Osbourne

Larmour O'Brien Lowe

Not fully locked and loaded but fairly stacked. Big second row, hugely mobile back row. Thought Jennings had called the line out but that might impact selection.

Sexton hasn't played much, likely last time playing Thomond and I think they'll want to have a look at JGP Sexton v Casey Carbery and the players will have good feedback for each other.

Henshaw needs minutes - Osbourne given the massive threat of starting Irish outhalf Frisch.

Larmour because of the chance of another wonder try, Lowe because Munsters absolutely hate him.

Am starting to feel a Build up thread coming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

This is what I don't understand. Any other irish team(as long as not against leinster) in a final, I'd be roaring my head off for them to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭OldRio

I was at the final in Newcastle. Nearly every neutral fan I talked to wanted Leinster to win. In fact the abuse given to Sarries supporters by some other fans of English Premiership teams was unsavoury IMHO.

Perhaps they knew what was about to unfold in the coming year.

• Advertisement

Ah the majority of Munster fans would be cheering for Leinster against a French or English team, certainly the ones I know.

And the ones that don't really, really hate us. They're my favourite Munster fans :D

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,630 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That's an awful lot to ask of Jennings, seeing as he retired seven years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

I don't know, saw him the other week in the park with his kids. Looked pretty match fit. lol

I saw him in the fanzone a few weeks back and he hadn't changed much - but put that down to him being not the biggest openside.

Syd - save that massive horseplay for the build up thread please.

I believe Henshaw is out til the new year

Give Turner a shot. The sparkplug is very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Think I'd go for:

1. Andrew Porter
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Thomas Clarkson
    4. Joe McCarthy
    5. Brian Deeny
    6. Ryan Baird
    7. Will Connors
    8. Max Deegan
    9. Cormac Foley
    10. Harry Byrne
    11. Jordan Larmour
    12. Charlie Ngatai
    13. Jimmy O'Brien
    14. Jamie Osborne
    15. Hugo Keenan
    16. John McKee
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Michael Ala'alatoa
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Caelan Doris
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Ross Byrne
    23. Liam Turner

Larmour's got history doing kick returns against Munster from the left side of the field so I'd want him hovering around the backfield, sort of switching between left wing and fullback looking for opportunities to run the ball back if there are loose kicks.

I think it's probably unlikely that Leinster will select O'Brien at outside centre, but I really like what he brings there.

The need to develop a viable third choice tighthead is quite pressing. Is putting Clarkson in worth the risk? His scrummaging hasn't been up to scratch so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

On the podcast front since we talked about it last, I've sampled a good few and very brief thoughts:

Molecast - still the best one imo but hasn't been on since previously discussed

the42 - next best imo, the analysis is good, they give decent time to all provinces, I rarely feel they're overly biased in one way or the other

Second Captains - I'm really coming around to Shane Horgan as a pundit, I think he makes decent expansive points and in some ways you just can't beat the perspective of an ex-player. They'd often have Cave and/or Trimble on as well who both are good. The downside for me is Thornley, he turns every single podcast into a massive whinge about referees. For example spent half his time on the Munster game yesterday just moaning about the "French ref" and how he gave Munster a hard time, but of course totally failed to bring up the non-penalty try. It's just beyond tedious.

RTE - just washed over me, not that interesting, background listening

Luke Fitz/The Left Wing - same as RTE, obvious Leinster focus

OTB - just a total mixed bag imo. They'd a really good podcast last week with Andy Dunne analysing different types of outhalves for example, I very much enjoyed it. The point was brought up here that they are giving more time to Munster at the moment, and they are, but OTB explained why - there's just not that much to talk about when Leinster annihilate whatever poor saps they're playing on a given weekend. I enjoy Ruaidhri O'Connor as well. I personally don't like listening to Joe Molloy that much, I feel he has this tendency to ask questions in about 15 different parts, answers 14 of them himself, and then kicks it over to the guest. They get a lot of different people on and I like listening to some and don't like listening to others.

Provincial State of Mind - I just couldn't. The bants is unbearable. I don't think I'll ever listen again, I might try after the next interpros but that would be it.

Eggchasers - I used to enjoy this but one of them is trying to morph into Jordan Peterson so honestly can't see myself ever listening again

On a general point, I don't think these podcast necessarily should or have to optimize towards "balance". If they want to be Leinster/Munster/whatever biased then go for it. People can make decisions on whether they want to listen or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I find Ruadhri O'Connor just speaks in rugby cliches, all about size and the 'profile' of team that Leinster 'struggle against' with little insight whatsoever. Seems to be filling the future Thornley role though as he seems to have inside scoops on the teams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

I know it’s just three lads in their shed or whatever but I really wish the Molecast was more consistent. They could really grow it with a regular schedule.

I wonder do any of them read boards or Reddit and see the appetite for them…I know one of them posts on Leinsterfans but that’d be more niche I suppose

I wouldn't agree on the OTB call - there is typically zero actual insight provided.

The Left Wing - cannot listen to this. I know the guy pretty well but I find the thing literally cringe worthy at times.

Provincial State of Mind - fully agree on the banter piece. I typically have to skip through c. 10-15 mins at the start of the every episode, but I would say I think their actual rugby analysis is interesting and well considered.

42 probably is the best one tbh; imo. Molecast is excellent but just too infrequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Good synopsis. the42 would be my fav.

Molloy on OTB is good but only when he's not trying to be too clever. Dunne is mostly just spoofing.

That last show was a case in point. He called Ross Byrne 'a true game manager and a conductor'! And then went down a fav road of his OH and QB comparisons. Compared Byrne to the 49ers QB '20 years of age, a natural game conductor' etc. I dont know much about AF but i know everything Dunne said was either wrong (Brock Purdy is nearly 23) or regurgitated gibberish of some dimwits analysis on FOX.

Molecast is good and it’s original. Although they are also mad for an American Football comparison! And soccer!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,630 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just to expand on the podcast choices, some others i listen to:

The Ruck: Ultra conservative podcast from the Times journos, including Stuart Barnes, Stephen Jones. Everything old was great..... everything new is terrible. Very, very england orientated and speak about other teams in as minimum as possible. Sometimes a good listen when Alex Lowe is on.

Green and gold rugby: they have 2 podcasts, The rugby report Card and The dropped Kick Off. TRRC is good craic, the 3 lads are teachers who are rugby fans. very self deprecating. Very much aussie rugby / super rugby based, they pay lip service to NH rugby and wouldn't be that well up on what clubs are doing up here. TDKO is similar in theme to teh above, but without the craic.

Rugby Union Weekly: the BBCs rugby podcast, with ugo monye, danny care and chris jones. Always an interesting listen weekly as a general round up of rugby news. More wide ranging then the Ruck, and less conservative.

The rugby pod: Jim Hamilton and Andy Goode have rugby bantz. Can be very funny if you like listening to Jim and Goody, which i do. I like that a lot of time the two lads have very different opinions, and host andy rowe keeps the ball rolling. Big Jim does very good one on one interviews as well. The one with Rhys Thomas was a great insight into pro rugby players off the field lives back in the 2000's and the one with Bill Ribbans, the concussion doctor.

Scottish rugby podcast: self explanatory, sometimes has some interesting insights into the structures of scottish rugby. Eternally optimistic

Attacking Scrum podcast: as above, but for welsh fans. Eternally pessimistic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I like the 42, like the lad the have on from Sydney (can’t think of his name atm).

• Advertisement

Agree about Clarkson! He does need exposure and has got to improve. Thankfully, he's very young and time is on his side.

I reckon Milne is in a similar situation for different reasons. Losing last year through injury didn't help his cause. I hope to see him get into this match.

I don't know if Connors comes back in. Penny has been very good! I'd give Penny the start.

Advertisement