Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Ah mate its a disgrace up there at the moment. Brain dead planner is what we have in the county. Surely to god the College Campus shouldn't be allowed to empty out onto the Moyglare Road. Either that or it should be a no right turn. In other words they would have go up via the new schools or through Mariavilla.

I've been saying to herself for years that Maynooth is a rat race at this stage. I'm from here my whole life but would have no bother selling up. It just keeps getting worse. If the congestion keeps deteriorating nobody will wanted to live in the place.

Easily closed 8-10 years mate I'd say. I don't think the GAA had even developed all of the pitches up there before it closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's more modern/larger/purpose built units in Moyglare Hall and also planned in Mariavilla though. There's definitely the demand to have a convenience store, chipper, hairdresser, pharmacy style row of shops out that way.

As for traffic - the ring road won't make everything wonderful. But it will reduce some of the through traffic.

There needs to be a proper effort to join up cycle paths, widen footpaths, un-do the damage done by five decades of closing up walkways in estates due to people being scared of lurking teenagers and make the town vastly more cyclable and more importantly walkable.

There are people in Maynooth living in houses that are beside each other that are 1.1km distance away due to dead ends. Loads of other examples where a closed up walkway - or a missed opportunity to have one - has made a specific, realistic journey (a specified gaff to shops/school/whatever) many times longer than it needs to be. And that's why people drive.

We also have footpaths on major roads that are less than a meter wide in places, in some cases less than a metre wide on both sides of the road at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Parsons street is particularly bad. Cars parked outside the houses take up half the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

Modern and purpose-built in theory but the shop is about the same size as the one in Moyglare village, has no loading bay and maybe 3/4 parking spaces to be shared with the apartment(Not sure if it's one or two apartments) above it on top of being in a poor location for passing custom. I don't see anyone wanting to open a shop there a creche has more chance of success but will have problems with access/parking and planning too I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭vafankillar

honestly i was a bit shocked at how bad the traffic was after i moved to maynooth considering how already walkable it is compared to some other towns around. people really become too dependent on cars, my housemate drives to the train station to get the train in the mornings the 2 days a week he has to go to the office lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

It was open when we moved to the area in 2008, then closed for a bit and reopened as the Village Store, and then closed after a year or 2. MH was half done at the time - in as far as The Walk/The Green (they were built by 2008, and mostly occupied by 2009). It was long closed before the second half of the estate filled out.

If your living in the town there town shouldn't be a need to walk to the train station. However if you live down by the Straffan Road (Kingsbry, Carton Court, Mullen PK, Straffan Woods) then the kids need to be dropped up to the new school campus when the weather is bad. The train station is ideally centrally located.

The solution seems to be do nothing ,lash up more houses and let the problem get worse.

Easy solutions to get started would be to change some of the sequencing at different times of the days and to get rid of the traffic island oustide of the Glenroyal. You simply cannot turn left onto the main street when traffic gets backed up turning right.

From the bus depot you can see that the left turn is clear but nobody can access it. Mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

People being lazy fcukers is a problem now you always get shouted down when you point this out but have a look in cars that are stuck in traffic sometime loads of teenagers being driven to schools fcuking walk like! There's nowhere in the town that's more than 25 minutes walk to the schools. All the yummy mummies in the big stupid jeeps and like you say lazy gits driving to train station. The arrogance of car divers who think everything should be done to accommodate their laziness is appalling. we need to invest in cycling and walking infrastructure asap.

It's a real Eamonn Ryan solution to the problem. "Just Walk"

My House is cold. "Sit in front of the oven".

• Advertisement

You don't need to drive your 2 ton pollution machine from kingsbry to the train station or the school like it's basic common sense.

You don't know that though. It's typical Green agenda bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Which island are you talking about? I don't think that island impacts much. Cars can still queue to go left onto main street.

If it's backed up that far turning right, then it's gonna be backed up far enough to block the left turners anyways.

Its the one outside the Glenroyal going towward the Main Street. It definitely has an impact on traffic further out the straffan road.

I do know that though that's the thing unless you are physically incapable of walking there is absolutely no reason not to walk a distance as short as kingsbry to the train station or school. I just can't fathom the mentality of wanting to drive everywhere but complaining about others doing the same and causing traffic.

it's a decent distance to the new schools from this part of the town especially when the weather is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I thought there was always planning for a creche unit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Always felt it was too small and no hot food or off licence (it might have sold wine before, I can't recall) would limit its appeal even now I'd say. Whenever I am driving around, the amount of school children I see eating takeaway food suggests they would need to offer this if they want to make a success of it financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

It reopened briefly about 4/5 years ago but never had much in it other than milk, a few ice creams and a few sweets if I remember properly it possible had takeaway coffee too. The coffee shop at the GAA struggles too during the week even the pizza guys abandoned the Moyglare road the potential is there but the demand never materializes .

The creche unit was never build the rumored location has planning for a shop and 1/2 apartments so I think a change of use would be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

new pizza place is called Falo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Just seen it mentioned on Maynooth notice boards on Facebook and people are full of praise for it, sounds like it's really good. Must go and investigate this week

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Kids don't need to be dropped up in the rain. Kids need proper coats.

If it's not too far in the dry, it's not too far in the wet.

If the secondary school keeps insisting on their stupid, someone is making a huge profit along the way, tiny coats there needs to be a parental and student revolt against the unform rules.

Driving the kids to school because the school insists on inappropriate attire is not a revolt. Keeping the kids home until they're allowed wear proper clothes is

Respectfully i disagree. If its lashing rain i think its a decent walk up from kingsbry or carton court. Agreed about the dry weather.

Agreed with all of this surely you can just wear another coat over the school one anyway. IMO driving secondary school aged kids to school should be banned unless you can prove you live outside the town or the child is incapable of walking.

Came here to say the same thing.

I'd be wary of the praise, could be friends of the owner. The number of people saying it's the best pizza they've had in Ireland would question it.

I also find it hard to give 17 euro for a pizza even if it was nice when I can get a satisfying pizza from the shop for 4 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'd normally be wary too, but it does seem a significant number of people so I'm inclined to believe it. Anyway, I'll give it a try and report back here 😋

Do :) If they're that good I might treat myself. ha!

What size are those sort of pizzas usually? 12 inch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Had a pizza from Falo last night, nice pizza. Around 14/15 euro for a pizza, but nice all the same would rather pay for that than Apache.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Had Falo today. Three of us all agreed its was a very good pizza. Gra pizza comes a close second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I'd put Gra ahead, but would love if he set up a shop, so it was more easily available

Advertisement