Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from cycling forum for six months

Options
  • 16-12-2022 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭

Hi, hope someone can help with this.

A thread was started about teenagers with specific reference to no 'hi-vis or lights'. Despite this several mods posted that the discussion was about no lights only and any reference to hi-vis was only allowed in a separate thread. I was threadbanned for the following post

Completely agree with this, driving home the last couple of weeks i've been astounded at the amount of cyclists with no lights or any reflective material whatsoever.

Yes i've seen them, but that's cos being a cyclist i watch out. Even back in the early nineties when hi-vis was for golf balls i wore a reflective armband for the commute to college as well as the lights.

What's the effing point in dying cos some motorist should have seen you?

The thread ban was given at the bottom of page 3 and was after i'd gone to bed. As i explained to the Mod in question when i clicked back in circa 12 hours later my phone started the thread on page 4 so i didn't see it. Mod said that i would have received notification of them quoting me but i had loads of notifications to that affect and didn't click into them as i knew i'd see them in the thread anyway, if i'd seen it i wouldn't have posted.

Anyway i have issues with the modding, one that they decided one particular aspect of the OP's post couldn't be discussed, perma bans have now been threatened for the use of hi-vis or any reference to reflective material in relation to visibility of cyclists. Two, that other posters in the thread, as the mod informed me, received warnings via PM rather than the instant thread ban that i got, when they were in more disregard of the warnings than i was in my view.

I'm really annoyed about this, i've never been banned from any forum in Boards before, and prior to this nonsense to my knowledge have only ever received two warnings in my entire time here.

Post edited by awec on

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Hi @standardg60 I see from your post you have tried discussing with the moderator in question. I will ask a Category Moderator to take a look at this for you.

Bear with us. Thanks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OP can I confirm are you appealing a forum ban or a threadban?

This forum only deals with pointed warnings and forum bans. If you are complaining about moderation and the threadban you received I will move this to Help Desk which is the forum to discuss such issues, and where relevant forum mods can contribute to the discussion if they wish

EDIT: Actually your thread title does refer to a forum ban, and hence that can be dealt with here. Any wider complaints over moderation can only be dealt with in Help Desk though and you can start a thread there once this appeal has been dealt with if you do want to take this further. This thread though can only deal with the forum ban

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Hi Beasty, thanks for your attention. i can start another thread about the moderation but for me the two issues are linked.

Firstly, the OP meant for the discussion to be about 'hi-vis or lights' as outlined in their post, yet for some reason several mods directed that it be about lights only, and any reference to hi-vis had to be in the hi-vis thread. Why should i have to go to another thread to answer the OP? If i was to take the direction given to it's logical conclusion i couldn't have posted my post to either thread, not the hi-vis thread cos it mentioned lights or the 'lights only' thread cos it mentioned hi-vis. How it makes sense in a cycling forum to create a situation where cyclist visibility discussion has to be one or the other and neither can be discussed in the other is beyond me.

Secondly, two warnings were given in the thread about turning the discussion into whataboutery about motorist behaviour instead, but it can clearly be seen that that has become the main point of the thread, with posters seemingly free to keep returning to it. Hardly a surprise i suppose when anyone who actually had anything to say agreeing with the OP has been warned off or banned.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

@standardg60 I'll look into this in the role of category moderator, if that is ok. Firstly, have you engaged with the mod to discuss the ban?

That's fine thanks, yes i told the mod i didn't see the warning that was given in thread.

I then asked why hi-vis wasn't allowed to be discussed given it was mentioned in the OP and why motorist behaviour was continually being allowed.

My first question was ignored and i was told i should have reported about the second.

I didn't think there was any point in continuing to engage with the mod after that.

It is utterly bizarre that technically the op should have been warned for their first post in their own thread.

Post edited by standardg60 on

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hi @standardg60 ,

I've read through the thread, and your DRP. Here is how I see it:

1. There was an on-thread (a few in fact) warning not to post about Hi-Vis, and you broke this.
    2. You were told by the moderator that you were thread-banned, and not to post in the thread again. You broke this too.

Breaking a thread-ban does lead to a forum ban, so a ban is correct.

However, I've discussed it with the mod and they've agreed to reduce the ban to 1 week, based on the fact you have a clean record and are not known to be a troublesome poster. You'll get access again on the 24th.

Please make sure you listen to mod instructions in the cycling forum in future so we don't end up here again. Any issues with mod instructions should go to PM, never on the thread. Initial disputes of mod actions should happen via PM in a constructive manner.

Since I've been reviewing this as a cmod rather than an admin, you have the option of appealing further to one of the other admins if you want to take this further.

Thanks for the patience and apologies for the delay.

Cheers!

Ok, that seems fair enough thanks. I didn't know i couldn't question mod instructions in thread, i'll PM in future.

Merry Christmas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement