Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biking the Kerry way(MTB)

Options
  • 16-05-2012 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Howdy.

Has anyone cycled the kerry way? all of it? Iv done a few sections from kellarney to Kenmare and over towards the black valley but id like to do the whole thing over a few days. is it possible by bike does anyone know. Cant find anything on the google web for it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Howdy.

Has anyone cycled the kerry way? all of it? Iv done a few sections from kellarney to Kenmare and over towards the black valley but id like to do the whole thing over a few days. is it possible by bike does anyone know. Cant find anything on the google web for it.

Thanks.

Officially - It is difficult to find anything on it as it is not permissible to cycle it.

Unofficially - people do cycle it, but they are unlikely to advertise the fact as it attracts attention from the park rangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Yeah i heard that alright. I was told that if you meet a ranger on it you have to promise that you will carry the bike over the single track sections and they will be cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

What exactly is the reasoning behind not being allowed to cycle it?
    Destruction or damage to the ground/trails etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

What exactly is the reasoning behind not being allowed to cycle it?
    Destruction or damage to the ground/trails etc??

That's the reasoning I've heard so far. Though when looking at the damage the hordes of dirt bikers have done in 3rock on their club spins I can sort of get why someone might go :eek when any sort of two wheeled device on knobly tires comes close to a park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Have walked some of it near Sneem - Waterville.
    Have cycled some of the old kenmare road.
    Personally, even though I prefer offroad cycling to onroad, cycling most of the kerry way would do nothing for me.
    It just falls between all the stools for me - most of it is not an enjoyable pootle or a fun mountain bike track, too much carrying bikes, too many gates. hey, that's just me though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

I have done the bit from Killarney to Kenmare a few times, it is a seriously good craic on the way back. I have also done it at night! Haven't done other bits of the Kerry way though.

I have met a good few walkers, no problems, I have never met another MTBer up there.

Yea that bit is a really nice MTB trail IMO and it is riddickless & unjustifiable that there are 'No MTB' signs. Anyone up to canvassing the local politician with the cap?

There are a few nice if unchallenging trails along the Dingle way (a lot of road though), MTBs are AOK on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Padaer09

Anyone know if any of the Mcgillycuddy Reeks ridge walk is do-able on a mtb?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

Can anyone tell me if the Killarney to Kenmare section is doable (in that direction) with a hybrid bike? And if so how much hike-a-bike are we talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Not ideal on a hybrid bike. A lot of sections are rough and a MTB would be required. Also keep in mind cycling is not allowed on the route. People do cycle it (early mornings, late evenings)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Middle of summer you can make progress on the dry earth. You'll be carrying a nice bit though. I made it up some sections on 23's! But it wouldn't be something I'd recommend

I really don't think the Binn Chaorach ridge is. Just my opinion. And the hydro road to Caher is just a bog, I don't see anybody cycling up that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What is it with people being chronically unwilling to follow rules in this country?

There's probably sound reasons why it's not allowed. If you want a trail set up for it, lobby for one.

Not sure if you're replying to me or the OP, but there's no rules that I know of on the Kenmare - Killarney section. Agri vehicles use it and it's accessed directly from the road. I've hiked the reeks a lot of times and never spotted signs saying that MTB's are not allowed, but personally I don't think they're possible anyway. Maybe the hydro road is but it wouldn't be worthwhile IMO.

Here's google streetview from the Google car driving a section from Killarney to Kenmare, of two cars driving a section from Killarney to Kenmare:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.9599512,-9.5775213,3a,75y,173.67h,78.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stwQHaQqJafdNkX5mVjvL9A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edit: here's a different car on the Kerry way from Kenmare to Killarney:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.9559814,-9.5783608,3a,75y,178.94h,81.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQWeMucuw-KiG2Y-7HC_dzw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

There a big sign you can't miss on the main road, advance warning, no bicycles allowed on old Kenmare road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

By who? Under what by-law? There's plenty of signs all around the country that have absolutely zero legal standing. The "rules" of local cranks.

I think the section of the Old Kenmare Road within the Killarney National Park does have a prohibition. Not sure that it applies outside the park, which would be the section from Galweys Bridge down to Kenmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

I'm a fairly 'stick to the rules' guy normally but in this case I'm trying to navigate my way around the Ring of Kerry without getting killed by tourist traffic. Seems very difficult to get away from main roads in parts. I know, I know.... mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://threerockbooks.com/product/cycling-in-ireland/

One way of doing it. A few here have bought the book

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/11612185

And another, maybe 20km of the actual Ring. I rode a version of that in 2015

Just to add Killarney Kenmare old road is a lovely walk, not sure I'd bother with the bike.

Taking Kerry way by foot to Lord Brandon's cottage and a boat back to Mucross is a pretty class day out.

Oh, it's only a National Park and it's their rules. Maybe if you don't like it you can go somewhere else?

Or maybe we just let people do whatever the fcuk they like, ride bikes, ride quads, ride horses, light fires, dump rubbish, let pets loose and see what sort of a park we have then? It's no wonder there's no right to roam here when people can't behave themselves and respect rules.

• Advertisement

Can you link that to me? I've never seen such a sign, despite having been there very many times? Maybe there's signs down further towards Killarney, but certainly between Galway's bridge and Kenmare I never saw any sign, in either direction?

That could be partially correct yep: but the park actually extends well south of Galways bridge from the maps I've seen. The "fenced off" section is from between around Galways Bridge and Killarney I think. I haven't ever done that section, even on foot. But there's even a big massive road right through the national park, as others have said. It gets heavy tourist traffic. The fenced off section of the National Park is only a small subset. You can cycle between Kenmare and Galways bridge without breaking any rules that I know of. https://www.killarneynationalpark.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/parkmap.jpg

Basically the "rules of the park" as per these supposed signs, don't actually apply to the...eh...park. They apply to something else. Some fenced-off part of the park. People drive through Muckross, there's horse and carts going through there too. And from the KillarneyNationalPark.ie website, which is presumably the official website of the National Park, I found this beauty: "For the active, walking and cycling are the best ways to see the National Park. There is a network of surfaced tracks in the Muckross, Knockreer and Ross Island areas of the park which are ideal for both cyclists and walkers. Bicycles can be rented in and around Killarney Town".

Cycling is not prohibited in the National Park. There are likely no signs to the effect that cycling is prohibited in the National Park. Likely cycling is prohibited in some sub-section of the National Park, but I haven't seen those signs myself.

Yep exactly, it's very rough towards the Kenmare side.

And for clarity, I'm absolutely certain there's no signs prohibiting traffic whatsoever. There's people living where the streetview ends, likely why they can't ban the traffic. And I'm certain there's no signs at all on the Kenmare side. I suspect there's something between around Torque and Galways bridge maybe. Again, I haven't done that myself so I can't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Some people are obviously not aware that the Kerry Way is not public land. Lots of it is owned by different people who allow it to be managed as a walking trail. Nobody has a right to even walk it unless the landowners continue to allow it.

The public are very lucky that the landowners are kind enough to allow people enjoy the beauty of their private property especially in light of the amount of people that try and claim compensation for accidents whilst walking on private land. It's a walking trail, not a cycling trail. There are no signs up saying skateboarding or roller skating are prohibited either, this doesn't mean they are allowed.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

The prohibition is specific to the Old Kenmare Road. This is a sh!tty snip from Streetview but this sign is at the access road from Muckross up to the Torc Upper Car Park (for those on small screens, the last two lines read "No bicycles allowed on Old Kenmare Road"). No idea of the reason - maybe they don't want the folk who rent a bike, not having ridden one for years, trying to get up a hill that averages over 6% for 1600m with sections of 10%. That road to the car park is quite narrow too. Or maybe they are trying to protect the bog sections later in the route.

There's another sign with a raft of prohibitions and a traffic barrier at the upper car park as you start on the graveled path.

The section from Torc to the small public road from Galweys Bridge is just a 7 km hiking path - no houses on this section and while you might get a quad along it, you won't take an ordinary car.

After this section the trail joins the public road you mentioned for about 600m until it runs out. There is another general prohibition sign (No fires, no horses, no bikes etc) buried in the ferns at the point where the trail and the public road meet. And after this public road section is the rough section shown in the video posted earlier.

There's no prohibition sign at the Kenmare end of the track.

That all makes sense to me: I come at it from the Kenmare side, past the house, to Galways bridge, turn around and head back. I have never seen a sign where the Google Streetview car drives though you might be right, there might be one hidden in the undergrowth somewhere that I haven't seen. But I haven't been trying to go that way, so why would I see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

It was slow because of my low ability and stopping for breaks. I think over 90 minutes anyway. It's only around 1-2km uphill from the road to the top at the Kenmare side, but it's rough and steep and that takes the majority of the time. I could barely get up that and it's slow going.

Exactly.

The 'dogs on leads' sign at the old Kenmare road car park was repeatedly vandalised by people who did not agree with that particular rule. Again, there are reasons why dogs need to be on leads and because owners can't be bothered to train their dogs properly.

• Advertisement

That's near where the house is, right? I must have passed that 10 times and I've never noticed it! As I say, I've never turned off the road and gone straight on past that sign, only gone "left" or "right" of it as it's shown in that image, staying on the main track, down to the bridge or back to Kenmare. Even looking at it now - and I'm obviously biased - I don't think it applies to the section the cars are seen driving on, in Google maps?

Advertisement