Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nowhere is that said by the Ukranian Foreign Ministry. I'm going on the information you provided. If you have other information pertinent to that point, maybe you could share it instead.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Looks like another important gas pipline is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭joseywhales

What is that, saving Europe when they are unable or unwilling to save themselves from tyranny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭jmreire

Its for the home consumption Francie, like all of RT rubbish they show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,093 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Is the US currently giving Ukraine M1A2 tanks, Patriot missile batteries or F-16s?

What Ukraine to get from US under Lend-Lease-2022 program: List of weapons

According to the Telegram channel "Operational AFU", under the Lend-Lease program providing $20 billion in aid, Ukraine can get:

M1A2 Abrams tanks of the third generation;

US M2A3 Bradley infantry fighting vehicles;

Self-propelled guns M109A6 Paladin;

Multiple launch rocket systems on HIMARS wheeled chassis;

Multi-purpose launcher/MLRS M270 MLRS4;

Mobile Norwegian air defense system NASAMS 2;

SAM Patriot;

F-16 C/D multifunctional light fighter jets of the 4th generation.

https://en.thepage.ua/politics/usa-passes-lend-lease-for-ukraine-2022-what-is-it-and-how-will-it-help-ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Russia has played the "fear of escalation" on the US and West which is precisely the fear it want to stoke and its a bluff all escalation is Russian

The attachs on civilians here is a war crime warrants a patriot system delivery now and more to finish this quicker before Ukrainian morale drops

A coward goes to Belarusian

A brave leader goes to bakmut

What has that got to do with Lend Lease and your original point? They could be given under either scheme.

Why do you think they haven't seen their most sophisticated systems \ systems requiring extensive training and logistics support?

The timelines for putting F16 pilots and logistics in place are considerable.

They have sent HIMARS which have had significant impact on the battlefield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Three people were killed, one was injured in an explosion on the Urengoy-Pomary-Uzhgorod gas pipeline in Chuvashia

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Mike3549

I dont know, look at the map. How TF will he get there? Hidden in a suitcase? To get to Switzerland you have to pass an EU country and i might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure all EU borders are closed for russians. Unless of course he has a swiss passport himself, which was rumoured earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,037 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I can't see the West losing interest. Putin now poses a major threat to Europe - if he was left to his own devices, goodness knows what he might try next. Perhaps invade all of Georgia or attack Kazakhstan.

At Morris Air National Guard Base, Ariz., Eastern European pilots from Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, and Slovakia have been taking the six-month ANG International Initial Qualification Course (Advanced) for more than two decades. In fact, today’s young Romanian pilots have never flown MiGs, which are being phased out of Romania’s Air Force as it seeks to expand its fleet of F-16s and eventually to buy F-35s.

Ukrainian pilots will learn to fly F-15s and F-16s in the United States

Published: June 23 2022

Zelensky asked for all this back in May, so having seen 9 months as a minimum mentioned, they would have been good to go come February had they started then.

But all of this is following the peacetime rule book. It probably would surprise a few people to learn that Ukrainian pilots have been training with the US National Guard since 1993: https://taskandpurpose.com/news/ukraine-air-force-pilots-fight-russia/

Given all that, the time for such experinced pilots to convert might be less than the official ideal. When the UK's very existence was at stake in WW2, the pilot training time was shortened to a lot less than the ideal. Towards the end of that war, my father was made an acting squadron leader and tasked with training Dutch pilots to fly fighters. I gather it didn't go too well and he wasn't terribly complimentary about them.

Supposedly there are Ukrainian pilots in the US who have been training to fly the A-10 for quite while now.

“The goal for Clear Sky 2018 was to open up that aperture to large-force engagements,” explains Jersey, “plus we flew some Basic Fighter Maneuvers [BFM, aka dogfighting], but really it was about everything we do in western-style tactical aviation, and expose the Ukrainians to all of that.” It also gave an opportunity for pilots from both air arms to fly in each other's fighters.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44965/u-s-f-15-pilot-on-what-it-is-like-fighting-against-ukraines-fighter-pilots

@cnocbui Supposedly there are Ukrainian pilots in the US who have been training to fly the A-10 for quite while now....

Not true , there's still no sign of Ukrainans learning to fly F16s either

Well yes, I do doubt he's going to Steve McQueen it on a Triumph TR6 and jump the border, as in The Great Escape, but it's barely possible he might have access to several hundred jet aircraft he could fly there in. I'm pretty sure there is no European ban on Russian flights carrying embassy diplomats and employees. I'll bet he's got some deal done with the Swiss, if not a passport. He has many billions stashed there.

https://www.businessinsider.com/russian-aircraft-adds-6-hours-flight-time-avoid-eu-airspace-2022-7?op=1&r=US&IR=T

Not officially, but there have been some Ukrainian pilots in the US, learning to fly A-10s on simulators. https://time.com/6207115/ukraine-train-fighter-pilots-russia/

I have flown the A-10 in X-Plane and it's a lovely thing to fly.

They aren't even in real simulators, just flying games with VR headsets on off the shelf gaming PCs

Pretty much obvious this isn't the work of the Pentagon or US government....

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Sanctions were never going to be enough to end this thing. Only deluded and/or naive people actually bought into that narrative.

Sanctions were only ever designed as a punishment for the invasion, not really a mechanism to end the war.

No matter what the western propagandists tell you, Ukraine do not have the military muscle to score a complete victory over Russia. And Russia appear to be in this thing for the long haul. There is close to 0% chance that the Russians will just pack their bags and feck off home, which is what most in the west are hoping for.

A negotiated settlement will eventually become the only realistic option left on the table. But it will likely take several years before that becomes a possibility. In the meantime, we will have to listen to lots more belligerent talk from people with their heads firmly ensconced in sand. As is sadly very often the way in history - there is a certain level of human misery that needs to be achieved, before peace becomes the preferred option. But unfortunately, it's never completely clear where that point is... but it's clear that we have not reached that point yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was reading a book many moons ago IIRC it was by some SAS guy and what he said surprised me though it makes sense. That is really cold, IE below freezing is actually less stressful. IF you have the right kit. That temp range between 0-10 degrees is much worse. Why? Damp. You just can't get dry and you're more likely to succumb to hypothermia and things like trench foot. It's harder to move across ground for men and materiel and is just a total pain in the arse. Below zero it's actually much drier and again IF you have the right kit you're more effective as a fighting force. I do remember reading of German experience in WW2 and Russia and one guy saying it wasn't Russia's "General Winter" that was the real killer and tactical nightmare it was "Generals Autumn" and "General Spring".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

British Defense Secretary: Russia intends to provide Iran with modern military equipment in exchange for drones

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Oh Forest, you changed your way of spreading bullsh!t.

I didn't see the the username, was reading your post and was nodding at first and then just... WHAT???

Dafuq are talking about????

And then I saw a username. An it all made sense.

I kind of missed your nonsense, surprisingly the grumpyperson is silent lately an you're back. Coincidence?

No, Russia will not just pack their bags and leave. They'll stay, in the bags

• Advertisement

@run_Forrest_run

No matter what the western propagandists tell you.

A negotiated settlement will eventually become the only realistic option left

Clueless waffle.......

Your wasting your time here lad ....

You might be surprised.

Some of the U.S. Air Force's A-10 Warthog pilots are now training, in part, using a literal computer game, albeit a highly sophisticated and realistic one, known as Digital Combat Simulator World, more commonly referred to simply as DCS. The 355th Training Squadron at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Arizona is using DCS together with commercially available virtual reality headsets and other gaming peripherals to provide a low-cost way of augmenting more traditional training regimens on the ground and in the air. This underscores the growing and at times controversial interest within the Air Force, as well as elsewhere across the U.S. military, in using VR to help expand training capacity and do so on the cheap.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/40620/a-10-warthog-pilots-are-using-the-digital-combat-simulator-video-game-to-train-in-vr

In saying this however, DCS A-10C was actually developed for and started life as a use at home simulator for ANG (Air National Guard) A-10 pilots converting from the A-10A over to the A-10C. The module was developed under contract for the USAF/ANG and that is the reason that said module cannot have certain ‘updates’ that the community has been longing for because it would breach ED's (Eagle Dynamics - developers of DCS) initial agreement with the Air National Guard. Simulators like the A-10C are employed for procedural and basic employment training, but not necessarily for the development of new tactics and/or strategies.

I’ve been in the Air Force for 11 years, and the last 3 as a rated officer. DCS has started popping up in a couple squadrons a good training tool because it’s accurate enough to get decent training, and it’s far cheaper than most alternatives. And frankly, it’s fun.

as for some of the other answers, you don’t need to use classified numbers to get training. Typically we have unclassified ranges that are close enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,037 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not sure what the intention was, but all it does is show Russia in a bad light - the grandfather destitute and down to his last few cents is not a good look (it supposed to be the most wonderful country on the planet for anyone to live in).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Don't knock PC sims. I've used "Steel Beasts Pro PE" as an unofficial simulator for my crew in the past as well. Ran it off my laptop with a joystick in the barracks. Not as good as the official UCOFT or CCTT, but you don't need to book a slot in advance for it either, and can use it at home, even linking in with your colleagues in the evening for multi-player. It's military grade software, a number of other countries do use it for official training, but you can buy it and run it on your home PC.

The difficult bit of modern equipment is the switchology. Remembering what button is where and what it does. A good home simulator will teach you most of that. Sure, it's not going to qualify you for the real aircraft, only genuine simulators and live flight will do that, but it's not a waste of time if you think that's a direction you may end up going. I attribute all those hours on MSFS to getting my pilot's license in the legal minimum of 40 hours flight time, which is unusual. Not so much for the flying itself, but for understanding the systems on the aircraft.

Of course, whether the pilots in question should have been doing something else with their time instead of learning A-10s is another matter entirely. Seemed like an utter waste of their time to me, but maybe they knew something we don't.

Some F1 drivers play Xbox and playstation games ,

A10s in a contested airspace seems a risky proposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭jmreire

Russian Diplomatic Mission is in Bern, Switzerland. Nothing to stop Vladimir Putin getting into a nice specially prepared 10' x 14' ( or longer ) steel container, with all mod-cons, and plastered with "Corp Diplomatique " stickers, in 20 different languages all over it. Then loaded onto Russian plane, and flown to Switzerland. Then it will be shepherded from the airport all the way to Bern in a convoy of unmarked vehicles ( but whose occupants will be armed to the teeth) Then it will be offloaded, safe from prying eyes, and hey presto !!! Job done.

I'm not knocking the idea of crews , vehicles -, aircraft using an extra tool in the tool box to keep on top of the game and proficiency,

But the idea some random businessman who's not an Airforce pilot or civilian pilot teaching other Ukrainians how to fly A10s combat missions or drive and fight in other vehicles just by turning up to his office with a few gaming PCs and becoming qualified to fly or drive an Abrams to fight in Ukraine is laughable, comendible to down right fraud,

This would be a different argument if they were actually being trained to fly by the US military before qualifying to fly the A10s and fly combat missions,

This is random businessman teaching people to fly aircraft and combat missions despite not having the experience,tools and ability to do the job properly,

And yes I've been playing various military sims since they were nothing more than poorly pixelated green and Black screens but none of that experience would qualify me to fly /drive .

I may be able to tell you what various buttons do .but you'd laugh your ass off If I tried to take a Abrams or F14 for a spin

Internet connectivity and power supply remain significantly diminished in and around Kyiv, Ukraine after 'kamikaze' UAV attacks by Russia on 19 Dec. targeting energy infrastructure; authorities report capacity down to 50%

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement

And you think Russia can sustain the beating it’s getting, for years?

LOLZ

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement