Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I like him as well and he's very knowledgeable but I find he goes so far into the coaching jargon sometimes I'm not actually sure what he's talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I find it hard to listen to Jackman and Quinlan. I haven't listened to many podcasts and the few I have were long winded meandering slop.

I like Cave and Trimble when they're on a panel.

Ed Byrne out 12 weeks! Clarkson out 8 weeks!

Jesus, we'll be light at loosehead.

I'd be extremely worried about going into Thomond with Michael Milne and Tom Clarkson propping for Leinster. Whatever about Milne, Clarkson just isn't remotely ready. He needs to keep getting AIL gametime imo.

If I had to guess I'd go for:

15-9,1-8: Jimmy O'Brien, Jordan Larmour, Jamie Osbourne, Charlie Ngatai, James Lowe, Jonathan Sexton, Luke McGrath, Ed Byrne, Ronan Kelleher, Michael Ala'alatoa, Ross Molony, Jason Jenkins, Ryan Baird, Scott Penny, Max Deegan.

Reps: John McKee, Michael Milne, Tom Clarkson, Joe McCarthy, Rhys Ruddock, Cormac Foley, Harry Byrne, Liam Turner.

Clarkson got injured in an AIL match. His season is scuppered. Vakh will get some minutes. Maybe Lasisi? Although, I doubt Lasisi is ready.

• Advertisement

Oh ****, just saw that.

Jenkins listed as injured too with a hamstring. Seems we'll have Joe McCarthy and Ross Molony in the row for Thomond so, with potentially a bench for Brian Deeny.

Milne and Vakh benching probably at prop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

That was a very quiet update on Jenkins too. He wasn't mentioned last week and and is in the "no update" category.

Jesus I hope it's not long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Strange news on Byrne.

He finished the game last week and I didn't see him getting any physio. But I guess with his history set backs of this nature are to be expected.

Big chance for Mikey Milne to get some minutes.

The timing is awful for Leinster. Furlong nursing an injury, Big Mike been flogged and there's only Vakh..

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

I thought the perception was that Lassisi was behind Clarkson re scrummaging?

A fine carrier of the ball for sure.

• Advertisement

I think they're both fairly good around the park. Neither are big men though, which probably woks against them. My hope is that they attain a decent level. The loss of Aungier/ Salanoa is looking like a big enough loss. Aungier is playing fairly well from what I've seen. I was hoping to see Clarkson make some ground this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Could be a very tough game with that injury news now. Interesting to see what kind of team will be named.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

In hindsight, I wonder was Healy playing 40 minutes at tight-head against Gloucester intended to keep Alaalatoa fresh for the Munster game?

If we have Healy and Milne at LH, and Alaalatoa and Vakh at TH, that isn't a bad bunch of props.

Any more injuries and we're really going to struggle.

We're one, maybe two injuries away from injury joker territory at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

We have Healy, Porter, Milne, Abdaladze and Ala'alatoa all fit.

Furlong's return is imminent.

So basically, we have all of our front line props largely fit plus one back up for both sides of the scrum. We also have Hannan and Lasisi in the academy who have both made appearances for the senior team.

We're fine at prop at the moment. Our third choice loosehead and our third/fourth choice tighthead are unavailable.

Porter has little enough game time for Leinster this season. 109 minutes since the Australia game. I'd expect him to play this weekend possibly from the bench but I'd think he'll start as Healy will potentially back up Ala'alatoa at tighthead.

Given the lead that we have in the urc, I reckon managing players will be key. I think missing Ed Byrne could be crucial. He's been the type to cover in these matches around xmass and the 6nations. I also would prefer him starting matches than Healy. I don't believe Healy can play at a high tempo or for long periods anymore. Milne will hopefully prosper over the next few months. If Healy retires at the seasons end, then we have Porter, Byrne and Milne. Milne needs the work now.

On the other side of the pack, Ala'Alatoa is becoming very important. Furlong has been struggling with niggling injuries and hasn't played a lot. Clarkson was looking at an opportunity to play and develop and now that opportunity is gone. I wouldn't put too much faith in Lasisi yet.

Imo, there's a lack of quality coming in at tight head. Clarkson, if he gets to a decent level will not be an international. Lasisi would be similar in my opinion and McGuire hasn't played a minute in months. McGuire is a big enough lad. Hopefully, he can set a really high standard.

On the other side, we are in a good position. Boyle looks to be a serious operator. A little small but, plenty of potential talent. McCarthy coming up looks like a good prospect, although he looked the business on the th side and Haddan. Hadden was impressive in the u20 summer series.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Leinster don't need every player to be an internationnal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

You dont need every player to be an international to be a very good side. winning trophies.

• Advertisement

It's probably the hardest position in world rugby to find quality players in.

I don't think Clarkson is ready for a lot of first team Leinster rugby right now, and I've been underwhelmed by him to date, but it's important to remember the guy is just 22. He's gotten 116 minutes this year across 3 games. Continuing to get AIL gametime will be good for him.

Similarly, the likes of Lasisi and McGuire are getting AIL gametime, and then you've guys with some hope about like Paddy McCarthy (albeit seems to be mostly playing LH for Trinity in AIL) who will likely be in the academy next year.

It's way too early to make a determination on these guys. Tadhg Furlong only got a smattering of caps in his first season as a pro (and only 2 starts). Mike Ross didn't play his first top level game for Munster until he was 25 or 26, and John Hayes was 27 making his Irish debut. This notion because guys don't look ready at 22/23 means they're never going to be ready isn't always the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's shocking. Best of luck to James and good wishes to his post rugby career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

Very sad, great club player and retires with a few medals, all the best JT!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Sad for any player to be forced to retire. Especially with something as serious as a kneck injury. Hope it has no lasting impact on his quality of life.

Wasn't expecting that. Awful for him, was a key player for us. It's a real eye opener when lads are forced into retirement. What a shame! I was hoping to see him return soon and fit right back in. Best of luck to him.

Treacy was a lad the squeezed every ounce of talent he had. Never a superstar but competent and dependable.

I would guess the McElroy will be signed for the remainder of the season. McKee should get his opportunities now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,322 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'd missed him from match squads but never realised the extent of his injury, very sad to see a player having to retire in his prime.

There's quite a few players who have had to retire. Heaslip and Keavy come to mind. But there are others like McSharry, Fitzgerald and Ben Marshall. Holland down in Munster along with Felix.

You really have to feel for the boys.

• Advertisement

Anyway, I think we'll see this side for Monday

1. Healy

2. Kelleher

3. Ala'Alatoa

4. McCarthy

5. Ross

6. Rhys

7. Penny

8. Deegan