Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd say bucket loads of UK orders will be cancelled/refused due to sensors, Tesla don't publish stats so we'll never know

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Hanging on for a Berlin car doesn't seem like a good reason for a cancellation! It's not like one factory is better than another, unless you wanted those unique colours only being sprayed in one place right now?

In fact traditional German manufacturing tolerances were routinely laughed at by the Japanese auto industry for years - not sure they've got better with age!

Post edited by MojoMaker on

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@JOHNNYBEGOOD 123 - "Low ball offer they gave me for my 201 M3 SRplus Blue/white, 25,000 KM. 38 K offered."

Tesla don't do trade ins. They just make a quick call to 3 of their traders and pass on what they get from the trade to take your car away. You're better off selling your car yourself privately or even into the trade. Although I doubt a lot of traders will give you more than €38k as it stands. Still not bad as it is 3 years old and cost you €49k or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

It does seem a very poor offer if you compare to the likes of ZuCar and Leaseplan that have similar cars advertised at €48K+. I think the used EV market is taking a serious tumble currently and Teslas won’t be insulated from market forces. Traditionally even the best of used ICE cars lost half their new price at 3-4 years old.

You successfully argued against your own point about those advertised prices, @joe1303l 😀

The likes of ZuCar will have to drop their prices. Nobody is any longer going to pay €48k for a 3 year old EV that was €49k new. People didn't even pay that on the top of the market unless they were in some sort of insane hurry to get a car.

Bit of a perfect storm, all those late 2019 / early 2020 Model 3 are coming into the second hand market and there are other choices out there now. If I had one, and was planning to sell it, I'd try and sell it asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JOHNNYBEGOOD 123

Tesla are selling used model 3 directly. They are not passing them on

Similar year / milage to mine selling for 48K on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

What colour is yours, and does it have enhanced autopilot?

Mine is Blue with white interior

Funny that all used inventory are advertised with enhanced autopilot. Are they adding enhanced autopilot to all used Model 3's. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Additional warranty? When tesla resell my car it will have additional warranty

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yes, currently an additional year's warranty after "warranty from new" expires

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They generally add EAP to all the CPO cars alright as an enticement to sell.

They will also add an additional 12 months warranty.

I noticed that too. Flick of a switch for them. Not that it makes much of a difference in the EU right now, but it does give you the opportunity to upgrade to FSD for half price, about €3750 iirc

FSD beta in North America is now available for free to anyone of the one million or so Teslas that have FSD over there. It is very, very good

I'm getting a bit wary of selling my own Model S with FSD as I get the feeling that if we get into that program within the next year or two, it will no longer be able to buy it or it will be prohibitively expensive (currently already $18k over there) and I will never be able to afford to get it in future

Yeah that’s a nice add on if FSD gets here. Price may increase by then.

I like the EAP, especially NOA and the auto lane change etc

*Remember my conversations with you a few years back saying I don’t like AP or even Cruise Control for that matter 🤣

We all change, I think that's one of the nicer things of life 😁

I'm very interested in autonomous driving, have been for many years. Now I have a car with FSD and might just have to wait until it is more useful. Also the Model S is more suitable to my needs than any other car at the moment. And my car is realistically worth a couple grand less than it was 2 months ago when I ordered Model Y, making the deal less attractive to me - basically buying a brand new better built but lesser, slower and not as nice looking a car but with full warranty - a head over heart decision in the first place (getting the subsidy and getting into an almost guaranteed very low depreciation car)

I don't care much about lack of PDC / radar and I don't really care if the Model Y is coming from China or Berlin and what LiFePO4 battery it has, but because of the above, I'm starting to get cold feet now about changing to Model Y

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭eagerv

I think I would prefer, if I was in the market for a second hand Tesla, that they would leave out the EAP and drop the price accordingly..

Tesla would want to charge top money anyway. The EAP is just a little teaser to attract a buyer. It costs Tesla nothing to offer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Advertised prices and current market rates can easily get out of sync weeks away from a new calendar year but you would think Tesla would want such a car for their used stock. A quick valet, add EAP, some warranty and a bit of margin and they should be able to get top money for it. Maybe they’re expecting a flood of Model 3 cars to be traded in for Model Y’s in Feb/Mar next year.

Again, I think you are hitting the nail on the head. The Model 3 is bound to take a massive depreciation hit in the next few months. It's only natural, it's just delayed. They kept their value exceptionally well but if you can buy a brand new Model Y for just a few grand more than a 3 year old Model 3 is advertised for, then you know the writing is on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

if you can buy a brand new Model Y for just a few grand more than a 3 year old Model 3 is advertised for, then you know the writing is on the wall

But that's been the case with Model 3s for the last 2 years. 2 year old Model 3s were basically being sold for what they cost, 2 years previously. I know you dismissed that as bunkum, but it was true.

When the generous taxpayer €5k grant is removed, likely mid 2023, the cheapest Model 3s will be upwards of €60k. Model Ys the same. It will boost used Model 3 values again so €45k+ won't seem too bad for 2 year old Teslas with 2 year factory warranties etc.

You used the removal of the grant yourself to protect against depreciation when you ordered a Model Y.

I think Model 3s purchased in 2021/2022 will hold value very well for the next year or two.

Model Ys sans parking sensors/radar may not fare so well if the next delivered models have those features reinstalled.

• Advertisement

I don't disagree with most of that @Kramer

I'll go one further, I know for a fact that people took delivery of their white €50k Model 3 earlier this year and drove it straight from the delivery location to a grey market dealer who offered them €2k more for it.

That was then though and this is now. That €48k advertised 3 year old Model 3 is now worth no more than €38k (and if I were trying to sell one, I'd bite your hand off for that). It could very well be worth more than this come next July if the grant is gone completely. Or if the price of a new Model Y is upped by several grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

Thst car has been discounted further again today. What about a Blue long range with white interior and EAP for €42,500? Seems like a bargain.

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/m3/order/5YJ3F7EB4KF527624?titleStatus=used&redirect=no#overview

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

Apparently ships with Q1 MY orders for Ireland are due to arrive in the last week of January. Tesla Dublin have transporters booked for early Feb, so we could see first RWD delivered mid-Feb if the above is true.

Here we are an hour after you posted that, and that car seems gone. Yes for sure that was a bargain!

Cheapest Model 3 is now €41k from Tesla so I'm surprised they are offering even €38k as a trade in. Perhaps if the poster offered his car again today, he'd only get €35-36k

This was inevitable, we all saw this coming

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

I've been watching that one descend in price rapidly. I really don't like the white trim in the M3 and even less the black and white trim, otherwise that is a record deal. All their used cars dropped in price today by 3-4k. I guess they want to flush out the stock for the end of year sales figures, and as mentioned above, in advance of the incoming traded in M3s that MY buyers will be providing. The prices now are what I had hoped for back in March.

Different market but in the UK their used cars have also dropped in value to around 37k EUR upwards. Would suck for someone who had bought it a car last week for the inflated prices. I still wonder will Tesla keep these new prices as we run into January. They do lots of short term changes in prices I have noticed, up 3k one day, down 4k the next week. Meanwhile the market rates from dealers are now totally unrealistic, like 54k for a 2019 LR in blue. I reckon Tesla will drop the price on new M3s before March to around 50k with further included colours. After all, they have no USS or radar.....

The white trim is the black and white trim ;)

Theres only two options, black seats or white seats.

Not all cars reduced today, the red M3P didn’t amongst others.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Got it. I meant the white trim and black seats then. I guess on price I was looking to the lower scale reductions and 2019 and 2020 LRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

According to this article Tesla is recommending charging LFP batteries to 100% so that they can more accurately estimate range.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/the-puzzling-reason-why-tesla-misleadingly-recommends-charging-the-lfp-batteries-to-100-187075.html

White trim as in white paint or white trim as in white interior dashboard etc?

• Advertisement

Nothing new in that. And the article completely fails to put things into perspective. They do say LiFePO4 has a longer life than other lithium chemistries that Tesla uses. But what they fail to state is that the other chemistries have 1000 cycles at best (maybe 20 year life in average car use with a degradation to 75%) but LiFePO4 has 6 times as much. So it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever in real life to charge it up to 100% every day. Also charging to 100% (3.65V) and switch off the charger and the cells drop almost immediately to 3.4V or below, still pretty much 100% charged.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there including journalists writing these articles, or even quoting from reliable sources and most of the time there is little or nothing wrong with what they are saying or writing, but without context their recommendations / conclusions make no sense because they don't understand some vital aspects of batteries

Advertisement