Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭redoctober

I was trying to view the box on something as my router is in another part of the house. Anyway, I managed to get connected to the wifi eventually. Am following your steps and now scanning channels. So far so good....

I've now got 6.2 running I think. I've reverted back to saved settings from the other image. It means I don't have to start from scratch with EPG settings etc. Is that right or have I reverted to the problems I was having before? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I always like to start afresh so no issues might arise like python addons are not compatible with latest images.

Run Samba utilities in the network box and let it reboot then you can use your box ip to log in via WEBIF.

Hopefully you have setup a password on box with remote and make a note of it stuck to top of box or one you wont forget.

If using a FTP program like FILEZILLA you will need to know that password.

Thinking maybe newer image has a more updated providers list over the older ones.

Hi guys,

I'll have another look tonight to see how the box is after update. On a slightly unrelated note: what has happened to all the channel 5 iterations? Is it possible to get them back? If there's another thread on this sorry. I didn't see one. Thanks.

Bet it was the old settings restore as things have moved on.

You could scan all 28.2 and get your new all list and would work from that.

Do you use AutoBouquetsMaker plugin as you could remove it from red plugin button

Then green to upload new version OR go into tuner settings and see if you can update ABM providers and rescan ABM and new list should work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

They moved transponder, The new tuning details are - 11307H 27500 2/3 DVBS QPSK

https://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=no is super-handy for checking tuning details for channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

If you use this version of the link it brings the most recent changes to the top of the list.

https://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=date_maj&filtre=Clear

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭swoofer

Redoctober, I think you missed my point badly, your box has a fault, the image is too old to get support ie its no longer supported, things move on and software changes. This is my guide:

1. Menu, setup, Vix, image manager, yellow button, and box will show 4 images, you want openvix, when that opens you want one at top, ie the latest,
    2. Download it. and wait.
    3. Next screen that appears , blue button and now box will show slots, 1, 2, 3, 4, and it will show where your current image is. 3 slots will be free.
    4. Select an empty slot, and you want to build from scratch, so say no to restore settings, no to restore plugins, .
    5. A wizard will guide you through all the next bits, language, screen resolution, select 1081, then network setup and as you had the ip already it will pick that up. Once all done box may reboot.
    6. All the left now is to set up DTT tuner and scan the 2 muxes, set up epg so that its on HDD but that openvix is user friendly and may have done that but best to check. To get 7 day epg you may have to enable openepg downloader.
    7. A lot of people like to use autobouquets maker and that may be set but if not tell you later.
    8. A nice skin can be added.

You did not follow the above. I don't know why but you used restore and that was a bad move and have no doubt copied over the dubious software and your new image is corrupt. You are back at square one.

The openvix image is designed and maintained for UK viewing so it comes pre loaded. The only channels you need to scan are the DTT ones.

Once you have the box as new and then encounter a glitch you can go to WORLD OF SAT FORUM and get it resolved. With the old image it was pointless going to WOS.

If you want to recover the situation you can use a free slot and create a working image that works. To make box like you want it make a note of what you have and did you update the box with old image yourself? All the box needs is a channel list, already installed, epg, already installed, Autobouquets maker already installed. FTP, SAMBA will be enabled automatically. All the rest are addons and nice to have. Its very easy to set up.

I still don't know if you have the correct driver for your wi fi.

When a channel changes you can add it manually via signal finder you don't do a full rescan and if you have autobouquets running daily you do nothing.

Hi. Yeah that's why I asked if I had reverted to the old problematic version. So I followed your steps. I said no to restore. I got scan channels and my epg was looking like a nightmare so I restored settings not image. My image is showing as 6.2.011 when I go to information/about

Possibly in settings might have been an issue ?

Doing everything from scratch usually fixes things as suited to new image.

I have a box on old image and many channels dont work as they moved and needs reflashing from usb again.

Is your epg going to hdd and not internal flash

• Advertisement

I think EPG is on HDD. Box is working well now since I updated to newer image. Once I restored settings everything was fine. Just need to tune in the channels as per above. The box had got very glitchy on the old image. Timeshift was very hit and miss and then the HDD went missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭andy1249

For the Record , I had installed openvix 5.x.xxx on my box when I got it a few years ago and never bothered updating it , recently however , it has become glitchy , with some crashes , and a lot of programs on the epg having a description but no title , making it very difficult to record them and if you do record them you get a date and number as the title.

I upgraded Openvix to 6.2.xxx on thursday , clean install , no restores , and its smooth as butter now.

Daily crashes ( vix rotating slowly on top left of screen and no remote response ... ) seem to be gone now.

I guess keeping up to date with VIX images is not optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ShaneCS

Hi folks, I got a new Zgemma H7s and have been trying to set it up today. It seems to have come partially set up - the setup wizard didn't run. The instruction manual is awful, it didn't mention how to scan for channels, etc, but rather just refers how to switch channels (which of course need to be scanned for first).

Anyhow, I tried a factory reset to bring it back to scratch in the hope the setup wizard would run. It started doing so, then the box went off. Now when I start it, it briefly displays a grey screen saying Open ATV 6.0, then either displays a code 00 on the box itself, or counts up to 99 and then displays the time only. The TV says 'no signal'. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks, Shane

That is a very old outdated image as was 6.4 and now possibly on 7.0 now.

It depends on if you have access to couch flashing thinking not if wizard did not run .

I myself prefare Openvix images and can be Downloaded from World of Satellite

You would need the USB file and a 8gb max size formatted to fat 32 and file EXTRACTED to usb from using a laptop or desktop.

https://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/zgemma-images/zgemma-h7/

Openvix manual and guides are also handy downloaded to pc

Sometimes you need a good make of usb like Kingston to work.

Hi Greasepalm, would you recommend I do the same (see post above)?

@ShaneCS as that was more for you on an old image and who in their right mind are flashing old no supported images.

If you want ATV others could guide you also.

That box is complex, factory reset is a no no. If you have done nothing can you try this, power off then power off at rear white button, wait a minute then press in white again. when you get 6.0 on screen press menu and say what happens.

Thanks a lot for that suggestion. I had already done a factory reset earlier, unfortunately, presuming it would be okay as it was a listed option in the menu. In your tip above you said 'power off then power off at rear white button' - I hit power off on the remote control, then pressed the white button, turned it back on and hit menu when 6.0 came up. Unfortunately nothing happened, other than the screen continuing to go blank a few seconds later and giving me the message about no signal. :( Any idea what I could try next?

Hmm can you say remote is working ie will it turn box on and off.

Just to explain the box came as is ie it has an old version of an openstv image but not a lot is set up. It is assumed the person buying knows the ins and outs.The factory reset may stop remote working. What you will have to do is do a recovery process using a usb of low capacity ie 4gb or 8gb. You will need to download the correct file from the openvix downloads site. USB has to be formatted to fat 32. You will need to unzip file as well.

has box got a had installed.

have you just bought it and can you send it back , did you asK for software to be loaded?

are you handy with these boxes? Using usb is tricky as zgemmas don’t like a lot of usb makes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Where's the best place in ireland to pick up these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Coppers!

Just kidding. The Zgemma is available at Satworld.ie , Satcity.ie and Freesat.ie and probably several other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I got mine here, ask him to load the latest software before purchase.

Alao for HDD to be mounted for an extra of about €30 euro

€190 total price

https://freesat.ie/

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Hi Swoofer, just got the box recently. It's all new to me. No HD with it. I went to this page https://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/zgemma-images/zgemma-h7/ and downloaded the file called Openvix 6 2 010 Release Zgemmah7 USB. The other two versions end in Multi or EMMC, so I guess the USB one is correct. When I unzip it I got three files called Imageversion, Kernel.bin and Rootfs.tar.bv2. Does that sound right? If so I'll drag and drop them onto the USB (formatted to FAT32, it is a 8gb San Disk, I don't have a Kingston here but can get one if it doesn't work). Thanks, Shane

Take your time, I was out. To get box working you will need the recovery file ie that has emmc. In fact as far as I know you can't flash the zgemma from a usb, usb is for recovery mode. But that new file you saw may mean different

So can you load that emmc one on the usb.

Can you say where you are at and once flashed the box as is new so you have to go through a long winded process.

To do the flash process its power off at back, then put in usb, Now when you power on at at back you have opened flap at front and press that plastic nipple simulanteously until FLSH apears in window then release and wait and wait. Eventually it will boot into a screen that lets you select language, then resolution, then network wizard, then next bit is where you configure tuners, then it will ask scan now or later choose later.

Next bit is epg NB must be saved to HDD, then autoboquets, then etc

If you are familiar I wont say anymore.

San Disk is a good name and i always extracted images to usb stick.

Before doing the epg i would format that usb stick to show as storage on box or a larger usb drive if you want to record on.

Then epg could be setup to store on usb stick. Only remove or install usb devices with box powered off.

Nearly sure i have done images by usb flashing ? Now i couchflash from armchair.

Great, thanks for that Swoofer and Greasepalm. There's no HDD with this model. I have a external HDD formatted with the Saorview Connect box which I hope the Zgemma will be able to read (there are a load of recordings on it) - if so I'll just keep using this one. Not sure if I might need a plugin to see those earlier recordings, hopefully it will just work. I'll put the epg on the usb stick if needs be. Will do the initial stuff later on, fingers crossed it goes okay 😅 Thank you

I dont know what format Saorview uses but might be able to plug into a usb port and view recordings maybe from a media player.

I like to buy a 1 foot usb extension to plug into rear and lay cable on top to assist plugging usb devices into easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Tango One

Funny that didn't work for me on openatv to turn off the audio description.

Advertisement