Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Neowise

Also got this a few minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

Thanks for all speed issues + detail - checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

For the last 24 hours through Newrelic, best was 8 seconds load and worst was 19 seconds for a full page load of the main page from both Milan and Dublin (weirdly Washington and San Francisco all failed either through server rejection or timed out waiting for the page to fully load).

Just to add as a comparison, I done the same check on Google.com (granted not as much loading on that web page) and that loaded in around 1 second.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭con747

19 seconds is about my average on desktop since the changeover.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭con747

Anyone else getting this look on desktop today? Excuse the picture quality!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Boards.ie Employee

Following up on speed issues... 

Here is what logs were showing a couple of weeks ago when issues were flagged: 

This shows more than five seconds to load. Cloudflare's status page was showing maintenance was being performed on the Marseille, San Francisco and Toronto data centres that day - while these data centres were offline, traffic was being re-routed to accommodate and we saw a spike in latency to Cloudflare requests in that time. This is something that we expect and have to tolerate during maintenance periods, as the way server traffic is routed isn't always the most effective. 

Here is the same query but against users loading the platform itself: 

About a third of the number take longer than 5 seconds to load, and we see a definite spike appear on the 22nd when Cloudflare was doing it's maintenance. 

In this next log show users loading the site in less than 5 seconds: 

Generally it seems to be follow a consistent pattern (ups and down, based on site traffic): 

What could continue to cause problems is a custom GDPR plugin we built to anonymise users profiles which might be causing some issues. There was a fix implemented before but some issues might have resurfaced - we are investigating that right now.

Vanilla have also been looking at very broad trends on loading times. It would help in further investigation if we could get specific error messages that users are seeing if the site fails to load (the rayID at the bottom is a huge help). If we get a couple of those, we might find a connection in what actions are causing time outs and let us highlight an area for optimisation - so please do continue to share here.

Lastly, another step (which we are in the process of getting onto a staging environment) is moving completely over to Vanilla's Foundation theme. We have flagged this before but not been in a position to implement it. Boards is currently using a custom theme based on Foundation and running a lost of custom plugins as a result - Reducing the amount of custom work the platform needs will help with site performance. We will be sharing more info on that here as we progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

A question @Boards.ie: Odhran on what you said about GDPR. you said this is achieved using a plugin. Are you saying that the anonymisation is not done on the data stored in the database? that instead it is done to the data after it is retrieved from the database but before it is displayed to the user?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,547 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Does anyone else occasionally get a scratch mark across their boards screen? It's the oddest thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

But the speeds are slow every day and not just when maintenance was ongoing.

• Advertisement
    Boards.ie Employee

No it is done in the database then those anonymized names (' deleted user') are allocated random usernames.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,488 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It is very slow lately on laptop for me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Ffs. I'm basically done with this heap of sh1t after what 21/22 years of being a member. My hand was hovering over the delete account button earlier.

Another day, another problem. Some threads and possibly some ads are causing whatever media I have in the background (Spotify, music, YouTube) to dial the volume down to 25% until I exit the thread.

How in god's green earth did you get this "update" lol, so wrong? Site is a big old pile of shìt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Is there a delete account button again? I thought you had to send an email to “head office” to get account closures in process.

There seems to be a massive difference between the user “experience” on the desktop site versus the mobile version. As someone who, almost, exclusively uses the mobile version I can’t say I have any real “issues” with the site. Actually can’t imagine using the desktop version.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

Good Morning all,

There is no "Delete" button. Any request to close an account and have it's data anonymised should be sent to the office. datarequests@boards.ie

Thanks,

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Glaceon

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

The site is so slow, refreshing 'my bookmarks' or clicking the back button to get back to 'my bookmarks' is resulting is some rather ridiculous load times and its not just lately as I see this most of the time, especially the back button load times.

Hey there @DrZeuss. I know site speed is a constant issue. However it is continually being looked into. As Odhran said the site in its current heavily customised format is causing some issues with site speed.

Also specific error messages that users are seeing if the site fails to load are useful for digging into these problems so if anyone comes across them please highlight them. Specifically the RayID at the bottom of the message.

Boards.ie Employee

I assume this is an ad but should not be happening. Could you send an example of a thread if this is still happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Site is still slug slow. Deleting drafts can be a complete pain if there are a lot to delete. Why isn't there a delete all button?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but because I can only search the whole site and not threads, I can't be sure! The notifications feature is driving me bonkers. It keeps telling me there are new notifications in threads when there are not. Any time a new post is posted in a thread I follow, it tells me there are multiple other posts etc etc. I don't want to unfollow the threads or forums, it seems like this is a fairly simple thing to fix! Also, for the love of tech, please put back the forum/thread search facility!

Why must your side ads always cover the categories menu? It's not movable and without categories (thank you 😡 vanilla) there is no finding hunting for forum locations. It's frustrating enough when the menu is visible, without it, finding forums is impossible.

When the adverts overwhelm the page, covering content on top, bottom and side; leaving only about an inch between to read and respond to content, I just sign off, really not worth the effort to try and navigate around the spammy adsite.

Hey there, I have submitted this suggestion for a delete all button. I will update here when I get an answer. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Turning off the automatic saving of drafts, as was promised, would go a long way to stop the drafts building up in the first place. Is there any update on this?

Hey there, I will follow up on the notifications glitch with vanilla and see why this is happening. Also the search facility. I'll post back here when I get more info.

Thanks,

Mike.

Hey Deja Boo. This is something that happened recently and it was fixed. Can you tell me if you are using Desktop or Mobile?

The ads are not supposed to cover any site content or dominate screen space. Also if you can take a screenshot when it happens and forward it on it is very helpful too.

Thanks,

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Would definitely prefer this over periodically deleting them. It never ceases to amaze me how often I decide better of posting and end up with a load of drafts to delete. Even better would be a delete button or don't save this draft button on the posting page.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

Vanillas "fix" didn't take on desktop then. I can't access categories now if I wanted. Sure, will do, thanks Mike.

EDIT: Thanks for your reply after I forwarded the screenshots, cheers Mike!

Post edited by Deja Boo on

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement