Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭testtech05

That second half performance from ulster could give them a bit of a shot in the arm. They looked completely rudderless in the first half though so hard to know where they are at

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

I don't know about Ulster's confidence, it disappeared at half time against leinster but they finished the game well tonight. They will be in good shape next Friday, a 50:50 game. I actually like Ulster as a team they seem to have a genuine respect with connacht. Our friends in munster seem to have a bit of an edge with us as they realise we are competing for for 3rd and reality hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Lancey Howard

How does qualification for home draws in the knockout rounds work?

It is very likely that the 5 leading teams in our group will win all four matches, so bonus point wins in our remaining matches are essential

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Doesn't matter much now, Top2 is basically out of sight (and "sure" home QF too)

IMO it's either home very difficult round of 16 vs Clermont, Sharks etc, or away winnable round of 16 vs Treviso

Both would be a 50/50

than it's more unpredictibable for the QF, if the "right" Champions Cup team manage to win, we may still receive it

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Tickets for challenge cup final 20 euro each, really good value as 2 good teams will be in the final regardless. Heineken Cup 131 euro each which is too pricey for me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

He got a three week ban.

Any information on the severity of Boyle and Thornbury's injuries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Thornbury is a dislocated kneecap. I'd imagine there will be more info tomorrow after the press conference

I didn't watch SHL closely when he moved to 8 - what did people make of him? We're stuck there now, with Boyle injured, and I'm wondering what the best options are. I've never been persuaded by Jarrad, he's committed but lacks some bite for me. Other options?

I love SHL, since the begining, his involvement is immaculate (this Friday included), he's strong, a good n°8 IMO but a small one (barely 1m85 when any pro team have now 1m90+ eightmen). Wasn't able to find any exception, Facundo/Fagerson are the closest/smallest I've found with 1m88-86.

Another iconoclast hypothesis. A big beast, who's played there a bit for Sale in August. Cian Prendergast!!

Dowling/Murphy are both good enough for n°6 in the meantime of Boyle recovery

I remember a game last year where Prendergast finished the match at 8 too and looked good doing so?

Yeah, he'd be interesting to see there. You want to get more ball into his hands.

• Advertisement

For sure we have other options at 6 if Cian can be effective at 8. Dowling looked very abrasive there on Saturday, even if himself and Murray have been my favourite lock pairing due to the number of games Thornbury has missed. Hopefully, Josh has come through the return to play protocols successfully and is available as an option as well.

Indcientally, I though Darragh Murray looked good again last weekend, the row has really become an area of strength for us. There is a lot of hype about young talent in that position at other provinces, our guys seem to be under the radar for now, but we have no reason to envy them (although I wouldn't mind Edogbo!).

+ Joe Joyce will offer us the heavy high-profile we missed for years, we're complete indeed.

If one of Prendergast/SHL settles for n°8 back-up of Boyle, we're good, but IMO we still need a carrier with the money currenty on Booth (disappointed on friday) and S.Masterson (prob released next year...).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Really like the look of SHL, he’s starting to settle in nicely. Would definitely consider him more of a 7 though.

Thought Booth and McCormack both done well in their cameos over the last two weeks, wouldn’t be disappointed to see them getting more game time. Long term could see booth more as a 6/8. Oliver will certainly be feeling the pressure.

Prendergast should probably be given the opportunity at 8. He has great hands for a back row but would be worried he’s not quick enough at 8. Game time at 8 for him would also give him a boost for Irish camps, covering 6,8 and 4 would be a great asset to him in getting into 23s.

While Boyle is out I’d like to see Prendy and SHL get game time at 8, with Oliver, McCormack and booth at 7 and Murphy, Butler at 6. Have Dowling, Leva and the two Murray’s locking down the second row while Thornbury is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Not sure which game that was but he did start at 8 against Zebre in the last game of the season. I'd also be very happy to see him as our primary 8 in Boyle's absence. I think adding some versatility would help him at international level, and I'd much rather him as 6/8, rather than overbulking to become an option at 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Injury permitting I’d be looking for something like this at the weekend:

Buckley Heff Bealham

dowling N Murray

Murphy Prendy Oliver

Marmion Carty

Bundee Farrell

Mack Porch Byrne

Delahunt Dooley Aungier D Murray SHL Blade Hawkshaw Kilgallen

Love the look of that team!

I'd have Murphy who may just be back from HIA, on the bench covering 4/6, Butler 20 to cover mobile back-row spots (7-8), and in form SHL starting 8 with Prendergast 6

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Thornbury to undergo surgery on his knee. Out for a while. Wilkins saying "a number of weeks if not more".

Boyle to miss time with a shoulder injury. No time scale yet.

Not the least of a piece of information in that press conference. It's not about having a precise timeline, but rather 6 weeks or rather season ending?

Raging for fans. Hope the guys are rather well

Post edited by connachta on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

They cant say what they don't know, Gav is going under the knife that could have a world of complications and Boyle could still be waiting for swelling to go down to get a good scan

We aren't entitled to know much more than what the injuries are

As I said, it's not about details at all, it's a not a perversion or "starification" to enjoy personal gossips, for my part at least

But yes rugby is an attraction and fans are entitled to know approximately when they see their favorite players. And build/dream/think about the team, who'll play 8, until when, who's Academy player has to be followed closely in the meantime, etc. It's also the matter of supporters, not only seeing matches

• Advertisement

There's currently only 4 player's unavailable for selection. Gav, Boyle, Burke and S Masterson

Connacht will more than likely give out the innfo when they know. Sometimes it's week to week like Burke an Masterson sometimes it's a solid timeline the 2 new ones are a we don't know enough to tell you so we're not going to.

Missed something about Burke then. I thought he was mainly out of favour

Any idea what is the issue for Matt Burke? Would like to see him get some more time thought he played well last season

Burke was mentioned in a recent injury update, neck issue.

I just feel really sorry for the two guys. Boyle has been outstanding in the last couple of games and returning to the form that won him attention beyond Connacht and a cap (I looked at the incident in which he was injured and there was no wrap from Tietie, just a high speed, heavy impact contact, I was surprised it wasn't sanctioned).

Gav had such a long time out with injury last year, exactly at the moment where he was also in contention to be capped, the recovery took forever, now he's back on the operating table. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth as a fan to see their bodies being mangled like this.

I haven't enjoyed our challenge cup games, both opponents were undisciplined and resorted to attempts at bullying which crossed the line into illegality. And in both cases the refs failed to take the game under control, sacrificing player safety. We won, but the cost was too high. For me it's also appears that the URC refs are ahead of their peers in other competitions in this regard, particularly the French who are taking too laissez-faire an approach.

Must have missed that thank you. Hopefully he is back in contention soon.

Hopefully he came on leaps and bounds last season!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Ultimately you are only entitled to know what the player wants you to know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Of course fans aren’t entitled to know but in every other major team sports fans would be informed. A standard provision in contracts advising that will happen and done.

Maybe it’s because of being a relatively young professional sport but Rugby has this weird thing about limiting information available, it’s the same with contracts, it would be totally unheard of and unfathomable in other team sports for supporters to be unsure when a contract expires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Given the sensitivity around player insurance etc, contract provisions will always be second fiddle to GDPR rights for any individual especially around their medical information, at least in Europe anyway

Advertisement