Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,422 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

In the grand **** show of Trumps presidency this is but a mere footnote, but symptomatic of the wider culture to a tee. His ethics chief advocated lying.

Sometimes I forget how much of a **** liar he was...

Imagine wanting this fake-tanned, ignorant buffoon as the leader of your country.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Trump reported negative earnings for 5 of the 6 years covered under the information released and claimed back significantly more in refunds than he paid in taxes during the period.

His returns show a litany of dubious write-offs and odd "loans" to his children which all reduce his taxable earnings significantly.

Also it would seem that Charles Rettig - head of the IRS during most of the Trump administration broke the law by not auditing Trumps taxes annually as per the rules for sitting Presidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,710 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

In fairness his tax arrangements are extremely complicated.

The Trump organisation comprises over 500 different companies and uses every trick in the book.

He must employ an army of accountants to keep track of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They really aren't anymore complicated than any other business out there.

The suggestion that "no one would understand them" is a lie plain and simple aimed exclusively at avoiding the truth - That his taxes would show that he really isn't a very good businessman and that he was pulling every stroke conceivable to avoid paying what little taxes he actually owed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Rawr

I feel that the Tax Returns might show something much more damning, that Trump never wanted shown publically: That he is nowhere near as wealthy as he pretends to be.

He might actually only have a handfull of millions to his name, or not even that. My guess is that the myth of him being some kind of successful Billionare ceased being even close to reality when his pissed away the last of his Daddy's fortune. Up until the presidency he'd probably getting by with what little he managed to gleen from his "Trump" brands and whatever kickbacks he was getting for laundering Russian cash. Being US President gave him a brief repreive from his creditors, and might have been a key motivator to him trying to stay in power.

I could be wrong, but my guess is that these documents will show the world what we already know; that Trump is a pathetic loser who likes to make believe that he's successful in business, despite never actually doing that in his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

It's scary to think that millions of Americans look at Donald Trump and think "now THAT'S what I want in a leader". Sets a terrible example to their kids to see a lying, ignorant idiot like Trump as someone that their parents look up to.

A perfect bigot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I agree. They're so complicated that Trump was going around claiming they were under audit even though they weren't. Even Trump didn't understand them.

Or maybe Trump was just lying. I mean, I guess that's a possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

The fact is I think the majority of his supporters knew that he was lying about the tax returns, just didn’t care.

Interesting thread on twitter..

unrolled here...

"1/ Let’s put the House Ways and Means Committee releasing Trump’s tax returns in context. While Spiro Agnew was Richard Nixon’s vice president, he was taking bribes in the White House. Literally. People came to the White House with briefcases full of money for him. 

2/ Agnew was taking bribes for years prior to that, when governor of Maryland. Nixon, the nation later discovered, was ALSO taking bribes. The milk lobby brought him a half million dollars in cash, as did Jimmy Hoffa to stop the DOJ from prosecuting him. 

3/ When Congress learned about the Nixon/Agnew bribery scandals, they acted. In 1977, Congress passed a law *requiring* the IRS to *automatically* audit the tax returns of *every* president from that point going forward. 

4/ The idea was that any future president taking bribes or putting the interests of somebody who was paying him - be it a company, an individual, or even a foreign government - ahead of the interests of America could be caught this way. 

5/ That IRS automatic audit program has been largely irrelevant because every president since 1977 has voluntarily disclosed their tax returns, although the IRS nonetheless audited every president from Jerry Ford to Barack Obama. Until Donald Trump. 

6/ He really *should* have been audited as the law requires, to determine if he was putting the interests of his own businesses or a foreign government ahead of those of America. After all, he had refused to share his tax returns with the American people. 

7/ But Trump managed to get his own IRS to not audit him as the law required! As a failsafe, that 1977 law says that one single committee in Congress - and only one - has the power to break the IRS seal of privacy and examine any president’s tax returns. 

8/ That’s the Ways and Means Committee. Congressman Richie Neal, Chairman of that Committee, submitted the routine request for Trump’s tax returns and was first stonewalled by Trump’s IRS commissioner. He then fought Trump through the courts for years. 

9/ Now that we finally have those returns, we know that the IRS itself had been corrupted by Trump. That requires legislative action to tighten IRS oversight, and will probably also require a criminal investigation of Trump and his IRS Commissioner. 

10/ The final big question is whether Trump, like Nixon and Agnew, was behaving corruptly while in office. It’s probably going to take weeks or even months to figure that out: stay tuned." 

• Registered Users Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

But you'll outlive Trump unless they find a way to build a Mecha-Trump, but then we're all in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

From Reddit. Is this his “genius”?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Rawr

Going to guess that Positive income in 2018 was when he sold a couple of properties (I think it was a hotel and a couple of golf courses? Not sure).

But yea, mostly in the red, and mostly very badly in the red. I wonder if they cover the balance of what hes has though. Does he have anything in his accounts or are those losses going into an ever increasing debt?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

In before a certain poster claims that making a loss of over $50m over 5 years is a genius move because his accounts are very complex and you wouldn't understand them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,597 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Billionaire? Haha, the guy is nowhere near it.

They will argue that losses are actually brilliant, just a smart way to avoid paying tax. But herein lies the rub. Losses come from somewhere. Either the actual year or carried forward. If carried forward it means he was making losses previously.

Where is the money coming from to pay for these losses? How was he funding these losses?

A much bigger question that comes out of the release of the tax returns is why, contrary to the law, was Trumps tax returns not being audited from when he took office? Unlike the convention that candidates release their tax returns, that is actually a law that the IRS has to audit the POTUS tax returns. It turns out they didn't and only became when questioned by the Ways and Means Committee.

So who corrupted the IRS into this inaction?

I think it is indicative of the systemic corruption that he brings to any position. He has corrupted multiple government agencies. Who thought that giving such a manipulative and vindictive a hole the almost unlimited power of a presidency was a good idea?

The various golf properties were money losing businesses for years. How did he get the money to pump into them? People have speculated for years that it was money laundering. I would not be surprised if that suspicion, like many others had about him, turns out to be true.

Would also like to see those returns expose the money making scam he turned the presidency into. Remember posters telling us that "he took the job despite it costing him millions of dollars"?? Yeah ****ing right..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

This will be considered a "win" by his ... fans. Regardless of the outcome: If he was worth billions and that's what the records showed then: Win. Told ya he was a genius. If it shows he is paying zero tax 'cos he is writing everything off as failures, then: Win. Genius accountant. Paying no tax to "The Man" (Even though he was, once, years ago, "The Man").

These corrupt accounting practices are the norm (And don't be surprised if much of him money is routed through his hotel and club in Ireland). Didn't Starbucks in the UK pay something like 15K tax one year due to shady (but legal at the time) accounting practices?.

So none of those surprise me at all. (And won't surprise anybody really). It LOOKS shady (Cos it is). And it is a bad look but his ... fans will not be swayed by this. As I mentioned before, his ... fans already support him despite his PROVEN history of serial sexual assault, insurrection, racism, hatred of America and everything else (Every one of these via his own words). So dodgy tax dealings? Nah. Just proves how much of a genius he is. He's their guy. He tells the libtards how it is: You sexually assault women and boast about it, you steal state secrets, you incite insurrection. you ARE America!!!

So yeah, unless they can find some millions of dollars traced back to the Kremlin, then ANY results will be considered a "Win". And, even if they found 100 million traced DIRECTLY back to Putin's personal account, the next post will be? I give you a hint: Sounds like Bunter's Captop

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He was rumoured to be on his uppers until The Apprentice started and licencing his name was worth something.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,872 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This congressman elect George santos and his narrative of BS makes trump look better. We don’t even know if that’s his real name, which at least with trump we can say that yes his name is Donald trump and basic things about his life.

And I’ve seen a tweet where Jim Jordan is threatening to release Bidens tax returns because trumps are finally going to be released which is fine except a couple of things. 1) Jim Jordan won’t be chairing the committee that has the power to do that, and 2) Joe Biden’s tax returns going back to I think 1998 are free available.

Sums up Jordan perfectly.

All mouth and no jacket

Well I believe he does in fact own a jacket. the January 6th transcripts are very interesting and the stuff that the trump world used the fifth on is nuts. Roger stone uses it when asked his age ffs. I did read some of Jenna Ellis’s testimony and the first question she is asked is to confirm the declaration she signed and gave to the committee about documents is correct, and invokes the fifth. They are so bloody paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's also the most empty threat imaginable because even if Biden's tax returns weren't public.... fine. Release them. That's what should be happening anyway. That's why most have released their own records when running for President, to show they have no conflicts. If someone, Trump/Biden/whoever, was purposefully trying to hide their tax returns then it should be the duty of the IRS and Committees to investigate.

So yeah, release Biden's records. Cool. Fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Claims he was gay but it wasn't mentioned in the divorce from his wife.

I tell you, I can see a TFG/Santos candidacy for 2024....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Who exactly is he trying to appeal to by saying he's gay.. Hardly the Republicans that are terrified of drag shows and rainbows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement