Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

What are the prices like? Didn't know there was Gra

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Good to hear Falo is doing well.

The Orient and Romayos at Greenfield seem to have gone way back recently. Maynooth needs a decent take away.

What's wrong with Orient? Price of a spice bag is gone so expensive there.

Would agree with Romayos..seems like a good changeover of staff. I was there recently and someone said they rang in an order at 10pm and at this stage it was 10:35.

The lad behind the till must have been new because he was fcuking useless. Just stood at the tills, whereas usually the fella on the tills gets orders ready too...moved like a snail too despite being busy. I made an online order for collection and he asked me for the order number when I usually just give my name. I said I didn't have it and he asked me could I go get it. Had to go back to the car and get my phone then. The name and order should be enough to know who you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The actual chips have gone to crap too. Not sure if it's a change of cooking fats or the actual spuds, or maybe they're sitting cut in water for longer or whatever.

Hey Bud.

The last few times we have ordered from the Orient it has been really really bland. The spice bags were anything but Spicy. Portion sizes I feel have also been reduced. They don't include prawn crackers in orders over 40 quid either. That's fine but a lot of the other chinese's do. All in all I wouldn't be in a hurry back. We are in need of a decent Chinese. I think the Newtown is overly salty but will give it a go again.

Romayos the Chips seem to be almost raw. Also there is no consistency in portion sizes. One day a bag of chips is massive and would feed four and another day two bags would struggle to feed 2 people..

I might have to start going a bit further afield. The poor quality doesn't seem to be putting people off as that chipper is packed most evenings.

• Advertisement

I've found that if you order less bags of chips than 'mains' you get tiny tiny bags like they're punishing you for trying to save three quid!

If you order equal numbers they'll be huge bags

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭vafankillar

i'd recommend wong garden in kilcock if you like a spice bag wkth actual spice. none of the ones in maynooth i've had are. they all have that weird sweet tang or something. you can select add extra spice on just eat too & genuinely last time i was getting a spicey burn on the tongue from it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

Stopped off for coffee and mince pie in Elite this evening. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭vafankillar

anyone who's checked the dublin bus christmas schedule, am i right saying that the 24 hours service will not operate fromt he 26th till the 30th?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

They're running a Sunday service on the 26th and a Saturday service from the 27th to the 30th, but the 24 hour routes (C5/C6) will operate as "normal".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Rdwrer

There is nothing elite about that place. The food in there is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Rdwrer

The Draft Maynooth and Environs Transport Strategy - Public Consultation is here

Some interesting ideas they are talking of introducing, like a new park and ride train station at Maynooth West. Plus, banning cars on the main street. At least it's nice to know that they are thinking about improving the traffic situation.

I really wish the Liffey Champion had archives so I could show the food safety expose that has ensured I never go in to, or buy products from the Elite.

I'm sure things have changed, rules and inspections are even stricter now. But it was probably the worst inspection report ever

Airport Hopper is back under new owners.

Great service, or it was previously. Hope it's the same or better.

I remember being in there years ago when I was a kid. Out the back. A mate of mine was working there and it was fairly horrific. This is going back 20 years or so maybe. I was only a teenager but remember thinking the hygiene was terrible. It's no doubt better now. I actually find the price for a slice of toast, coffee and sausages reasonable and it's decent quality too. Like Emmas in the Glenroyal they haven't gone bananas with their prices. Emmas is fairly good for what you pay to be fair.

Friends of mine who visit Maynooth think we are spoiled for choice with the amount of eateries on the Main Street. I usually replay the quality is better than quantity.

A lot of them are overly priced and some of the pubs just seem to be aimed at the student trade so the food leaves a lot to be desired.

Emma's is the best for a proper fry, not messed around with. RIP Pickwicks - could be gone nearly 15 years now?

Coffee Mill is OK also but I wish they'd use more normal black pudding for one thing! Exceptionally grainy, probably great with butter on toast but not in a fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Elite sambos are nice, and fresh bread is always a treat

Coffee Mill is grand but I wince when I go to pay the bill. Not as bad as Shoda which I think it's a total rip off.

Hat's off to the Stonehaven. Prices are decent and the food is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 SMdPP87

I like the food in the coffee mill but unfortunately the cyclists ruin the experience for me. Saturday morning does be jammed with them, panting in with their tight sweaty spandex. Not ragging on cyclists and I’m sure the owner loves to see them coming with their trade, but I find it off putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Stonehaven is very underrated, too spot especially if you have a few different generations going for a meal together

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Elite croissants when fresh are sensational.

Best coffee is Jacks (Brewdog)

Shoda and Amber Bistro probably the best breakfast place overall.

Amber bistro also a little hidden gem. Stonehaven also in this category.

Meridian and Beetroot also worth a shout out.

I'm not a fan of Bistro 53, Coffee mill or O'briens/costa

Picaderos, Donatellos, Chocolate place, Avenue all well established and have good repustations for a reason,

Def worth filling this out. Fill it out with the future in mind, it will take 10+ years to get any of this done. Fill it out for then, not now.

Coffee Mill and Amber Tree have the same owner and I suspect may literally be two dining rooms off the one kitchen! Certainly when Amber Tree opened and got a wine licence, Coffee Mill started selling wine too.

That Transport Strategy doc is an excellent production. Its going to cause massive objections but its pretty much the best you're going to get. So many proposals its impossible to sum up really so here's just plucking a few:

Main street to be one-way in part, by diverting some traffic via Doctors Lane and the council carpark in to the Supervalu junction

That example I gave of 1.1km walk between two houses is to be cut to just meters along with about 80 other cases of small shortcuts to be opened up to make the town walkable/cyclable.

139 bus to run down through the train station to allow people living out the Newtown Road and in Rathcoffey etc easily swap to the train.

foot/cycle bridge from Griffin Rath in to the business park - this will take multiple kilometres off the walk or cycle from those sides

Those that are scared of teenagers hanging around cut-throughs are going to be distraught if this goes ahead, but it will be for the benefit of the town.

There is some central government money for this - Maynooth is the decarbonisation zone for the county so has direct access to money for those type of projects. The councils Pathfinder project which should have immediate funding is pedestrianising Leinster Street - the fire station is moving to Mullen Park and there'll be a new road out to Parson Street to let you in to the carpark; and a new cycle accessible footbridge in to the train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Picaderos and Donatellos owned by same people. Both have something in common and thats the food is not up to scratch for the price you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Disagree. Think the pricing and food in both is pretty much spot on.

N4 road closure at the end of Jan for a month between Maynooth and Celbridge/Leixlip will be a nightmare. KCC really are a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Are you serious? That will be a total disaster.

Is there a link I can read more about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Advertisement