Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Under 20s Ulster championship draw made- looks like a home draw against winners of the preliminary round (Armagh Vs the old enemy). Winner of that game plays winner of Tyrone and Down in the semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Neither are back in but I think that was their choice rather than not being called back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Thanks was kinda wondering dates of the other 2 away games but no panic yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Lads is the rumour doing the rounds about who Varadkar was kissing true ? Jesus will be some taunts from the crowds next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Seen the clip but heard no name... Was it one of our lads..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

I have looked at the video and it certainty looks like one of the lads but that doesn't mean it is them.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Heard the rumour and don't think it's fair to be speculating on social media. Plus I'd hope there'd be no taunts regardless if true or not.

Post edited by Thunderbirds on

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Surely it's not true lads, I'd have liked to think that if it is one of our lads ,he would have far higher standards than Leo the leak.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Back to football talk.

Caoimhin did alright in some of the League games. He picked up the hand injury then for the Tailteann Cup run which was unfortunate timing. Cormac seems to struggle with injuries. He hasn’t even been getting a decent run with Mullahoran of late.

The question you’d have to ask is if the players that are replacing them are better and, from the names I’ve seen, I don’t think they are to be honest.

Caoimhin has been around the panel since Mattie McGleenan was in charge.

He's a talented player,but I have my doubts whether he has the size/physique and athleticism to be a standout Intercounty forward.

I couldn't see him getting much game time, with McVeety back and Gearoid potentially playing more in the inside forward line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

Agreed he has never shown his potential and there is no point in hanging around the fringes for years might aswell give someone else a go.

I’ve been saying exactly the same here about Caoimhin previously - around since the 2017 loss to Tipp in the qualifiers and has never managed to get a consistent run.

That said, we’re in Division 3 at a lower standard of football and we’ll have to judge what has replaced him on the panel in due course,

I wonder has Conor Smith from Killygarry gone back in.

I am fairly certain his senior debut was that explosive start against Tipp. I thought he was badly utilised in the league the following year. I used to be tearing my hair out with McGleenan as he always subbed Caoimhin in every game, regardless of performance, he was inevitably the first to get hooked. I know the following year he was mostly injured but i think he came on against Armagh in the replay. I think he refused to go back in for 2020, which is a huge shame for him.

The reality of it is he didn't have much of an impact last year in the league. He started against Sligo and was poor; and barring a cameo against Waterford he didn't reach the heights you would expect of a player of his talent. It is a shame if he's not asked back in/ not going in, as he is a player that i thought would have nailed down a corner forward position for us by now but doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Re: physique- when he burst onto the scene he was lightening quick, broke quickly from his marker and won a lot of ball. Interestingly i was talking to a Bridge man during the summer and he felt that Caomhin had done too much gym work and bulked up far too much, which meant he wasn't as quick. I thought that was an astute observation. I have seen plenty of lads who aren't on county panels in the past that bulked up waaaay too much and totally altered their game. Not every corner forward needs to be a man mountain. Look at McCurry from Tyrone for example.

Think those have to be decided yet, I could be wrong, I've not seen those yet. Would have to hope that we get at least one Saturday evening game. Love a match under lights at Breffni (and the chance of post match analysis afterwards!). Am i right in thinking the only evening throw in we got this year was against Waterford (and it was a lovely sunny evening too).

Yep we got an annoying amount of Sunday afternoon games last year in the League. As discussed here at the time, I love a good Saturday evening game. It’s nice to have a Sunday to relax too and not worry about travelling to and from a game.

Anyone watching the Ulster Club Final

Mc Quillan isn't covering himself in glory,here he's missed 2 sending off offences by Kilcoo ,both from the same player. Terrible performance by him so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

He set out to let a lot go but has gone too far with it. That Kilcoo lad is lucky to be on the pitch. Glen put in a few big hits earlier on too i suppose. How is that not a black card for Brannigan there, a blatant drag down to prevent a goal scoring opportunity. This isn’t going to end well.

Armagh and Antrim for us in the McKenna cup

2023 Division three fixtures announced: https://www.irishnews.com/sport/2022/12/09/news/2023_allianz_football_league_division_three_fixtures-2937001/

Westmeath away Sunday 29th 2pm throw in; Tipp at home Sunday 5th Feb 2pm throw in, Longford at home Saturday 18th 2pm throw in, Offaly away Sunday 26th Feb 2pm throw in, Down at home Sunday 5th March 2pm throw in, Antrim away Sunday 18th March 2pm throw in, Fermanagh home Sunday 26th 2pm throw in.

No Saturday evening games in Breffni this year. Must be saving on the electric....

• Advertisement

Latest WAC pod has an update re the squad. Seems to be a good few gone - those already flagged in Niall Murray, Conroy & Thomas Galligan. Then it’s mainly squad/panel players such as Caoimhin O’Reilly, Cormac Reilly, Benjamin Kelly, Mick Argue, TED and a few others. The most disappointing to see go IMO is Luke Fortune. I can’t understand why he saw so little playing time after 2020.

Conor Smith mentioned as being back in. They are unsure re Paul Smith. Jack McKenna not mentioned. New additions include McCabe, Hoffman & McAvenue from Arva, Rehill, Brandon Boylan & Cooke from Lough, David Brady & Brian O’Rourke from Ballyhaise, Oisin Kiernan from Denn and of course McVeety.

First game vs Armagh is on Wednesday 4th they expect in Athletic Grounds. You’d hope games are streamed like last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

Disappointing to see Luke fortune and Thomas galligan gone but great to see dara and Conor rehill back in, I was hoping paddy Meade would be in again,listening to Ryan mcmenimen Burke seems to be doing a lot of the training so it will be interesting to see! Anyone hear much about him?

The initial rumour I heard was he closed the gym and he told players to work on their speed and getting to the ball first but I think that was just pub talk to be honest!

McKenna Cup fixtures out. We’re away to Antrim on Sunday 8th and home to Armagh on Wednesday 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

It will be interesting to see what kind of team lines out for these games.

Some years I’ve actually been disappointed with the lack of experimentation. Surely it’s time a different keeper got a few minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Have found that to be bizarre to be honest. No matter who is the best keeper, what would happen if Ray got injured - sub goalie would be thrown in and no game time under his belt. I think that's a bit wreckless to be honest.

The Waterford game was the perfect game last year to give a sub keeper a full game.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Happy New Year

Post edited by mylestheslasher on

• Advertisement

Lads,any of yas following the feud on Facebook and Twitter between the wearecavan lads and "Cavanclubchampionship", it's escalated big time.

Question for any of the lads who would have played club football in the 90's, Was Tynan a good footballer? He's certainly opinionated on Facebook.

Advertisement