Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Beirne, Doris and VDF all made the L'Equipe world team of the year.

We have a truly excellent pack of forwards from 1-8 right now. I'm very hopeful that they can continue playing to this high level this season and into the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I thought Ntamack had a fairly poor season. So I’m surprised to see him there ahead of Sexton.

I agree. I don't think Caleb Clarke or Rieko Ioane should be there either. And the should be a place for Ardie Savea too. Maybe ahead of Doris.

But these are subjective opinions and everyone's team will be different. I think it's enough that Doris and Beirne are considered amongst the best in the world by some, and VDF the best by many. We've a lot of quality forwards in the starting 8.

Well you’d always expect a few all blacks to sneak in where their not supposed to be.

Yeah Savea not being there is an absolute mystery. Phenomenal season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Ah Stephen its a French paper! Grand Slam & all.

Now Caleb Clarke...

My team is basically the Irish side! Best 12 months of Irish rugby since 2018. France unfortunately have Messi Dupont

Keenan; Penaud, Ringrose, Fickou. Lowe; Sexton, Dupont; Porter, Sheehan, Furlong; Beirne, Ezebeth; Dorris, vdF, Savea

• Advertisement

Keenan should be there ahead of Capuozzo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Hmmmm, I think I'd go with

Baille

Marchand

Malherbe

Ethzebeth

Beirne

Doris

Vdf

Alldritt

Dupont

Sexton

Mapimpi

Fickou

Ringrose

Prnaud

Keenan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Am deserves a shout, was excellent any time I saw him this year, I think SA missed him when we played them last month. Ringrose has been back to his best too, mind, so I'd have either of those ahead of Ioane.

Yeah, Rieko is a superb attacker but I feel Ireland have exploited him multiple times when he plays at thirteen defensively.

I think Porter & Sheehan could be in the discussion, but I guess France winning the GS and going the year undefeated gives the edge to Baille & Marchand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

All those French and SA props only play 50-55mins. It's cheating!

The Irish front row are freaks. Furlong didnt have his best year. But still comfortably the best all-round TH.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Seems a wild comment considering VDF just won the player of the year, but I'm convinced Doris is the best of those three as well. He has it in him to be absolutely exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Yes we have a superb set of forwards but I think it's a pity we have no stand out blindside flanker as I think POM is too lightweight to make yards and he goes missing even though he is a brilliant line out operator, hoping baird maybe can be that number 6 I think we are lacking.

Well when you look at the stats FTD posted in the other thread. It’s not really that wild a claim, as Doris had arguably a stronger year than VDF on paper. Truth is both have been world class this year.

Will be without Sexton for a good while.

Big trouble if Sexton is out. Thought Crowley had a bit of a stinker against Ulster. Carty, Carbery and Burns aren't the answer either.

Would be very tempted to break glass and go for Ross Byrne.

Wouldn't consider it breaking glass, I'd prefer him to any of the others outside of Carbery.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Harry Byrne had had a good 25 against connacht, and should expect more minutes in the coming weeks

Wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Looks very nasty. I'd be amazed if that doesn't require surgery and a stint on the sidelines for a while.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ersatz

HB would want to be landing those kicks, he missed at least one that he should have slotted today. I've come back to where I was on the 10 thing 18 months ago, #3 is Ross Byrne. He has improved his attacking game this season, he is a great defender, totally solid kicker, a good manager and he is consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Thought Crowley had a bit of a stinker against Ulster

Really? I didn't see this at all. I thought he was pretty good (for a guy who has barely played 10 since the Australia game).

Just looked in the Munster thread and I'm very surprised by the stick he's getting. He's been playing almost solely at 12 since November. He got a start at 10 tonight and I think looked pretty sharp. He needs game time. He's never going to develop at 10 if he's playing one game a month at 10 and the rest at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

Might not be the worst thing in the world that we may now have to go find the back up no.10 in the 6N. There's isn't a hope in hell that Sexton makes it through the WC campaign uninjured unless we have a dependable backup player that allows us to rotate during the pool stages. Burns and Carty aren't at the races at all. That leaves it up to battle between Crowley and Carbery at Munster plus Ross Byrne to shine in Sextons absence at Leinster. One of those guys needs to take up the mantle in the next 2-3 months.

Yes. I think Munster really struggled in the first half to find any attacking in roads bar a strong Fekitoa carry through traffic.

Fwiw that's not entirely down to Crowley. The structure in attack still isn't bedded in yet. There was a lot of passing to static forwards.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Bit harsh to say Crowley had a stinker, he was MOTM lol. Healy looked great for the 30 minutes or so he was on btw

The problem with Ross Byrne is that he doesn’t suit Ireland’s style whatsoever.

Imo, Crowley was decent in the first half (kicking from hand aside, which was really poor from both Munster half-backs) and much better in the 2nd half. Obviously his break from 12 late on was a huge turning point in the game.

(Tbh, I thought his performance from 10 vs Ulster in Thomond was better).

But overall, I’d still comfortably have Carbery ahead of both Crowley and Ross Byrne for the 6 Nations if Sexton isn’t available. Especially given his form prior to the Leinster game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I can't see how rb isn't second choice now. Who's better?

Carty claims are put to bed. 60% kicking average?

Carbery is a full back, Crowley (yes I think he's potential).

Backups to Sexton are not good.

I’d be surprised if Ross Byrne is 2nd choice tbh.

He did really well with the winning penalty in the Autumn. But his place kicking was never in question.

It’s his general play that is. (In the same game, he handled the ball 3 times. He threw an intercept in 1 of those phases).

And since then, Carbery has been in really good form, other than the Leinster game.

And that’s without mentioning that Crowley started ahead of him in that game vs Aus.

I just don’t think he suits out style or play at all tbh.

I don't think there's many dissimilarities in how Ireland plays compared to Leinster. Both sides place great importance on multiple playmakers in the side, with the 10 picking and choosing the best moments to become involved.

Byrne isn't a test quality 10. I think he can get ruffled at times when a defence making a hard rush at him. He also doesn't have the athleticism to ever consistently threaten the line. But as a short term placeholder, I think he's the best option.

Jordan Larmour has impressed me a lot since his return from injury. His broken field running is as impressive as ever, but he's also playing with a lot of calmness as well. After making the initial break he's drawing defenders in and passing to the free man. Keeps the attack going. His work rate has been excellent too. He moves off his wing a lot in order to contribute to the attack.

He has a lot of ground to make up on the likes of JOB and Baloucoune, but he continues to play well I can see him making the Six Nations squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I just don't see it. Rb defence is great. 10 channel defence is important. Looks like Crowley has that as well.

Sexton had a huge knock today. I'd go go with Ross for the 6 nations.

Advertisement