Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 1) Corballis (18th Feb @11:50am) *4club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Can it be a counting competition given that we are 4 club handicapped.?

Rules aficionados required.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Can't think it makes sense to record ...when it is a take the piss round.

But sure there is an official rule ?

My guess is you could record as mad as that sounds ......

I don't think that there is any issue with using it as qualifying. Pretty sure the rules are that you can play with up to 14 clubs. No limit in relation to minimum number of clubs that I'm aware of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Yes. We really shouldn't in my view, given the nature of play and more than likely higher scoring save a few low h/cappers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

There's probably no rule that prevents you from being able to submit it, but you really can't. It would be dishonest to submit a score if you were intentionally not trying to shoot your best round. Only taking 4 clubs would fall under this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Not at all

i shot maybe my 3rd best round of the year back in March in a 4 club comp

so absolutely nothing dishonest about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

I dunno. I can see how it can work out well, but if I saw someone putting with a 4 iron and submitting the score I'd think they were hoping to put in a bad score. If they putted with a 4 iron and made the putt I'd think it worked out well, but that they were still taking the p1ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Might have missed the posts - but how do I put my name down for the Society for 2023. Missed out in 2022 due to involvement with Intercounty Teams and weekends being a complete mess. Should be able to fit this year in though

• Advertisement

Pm me all your info.

I’ll not be doing anything till new year though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

It is definitely permissible for a person to play with 4 clubs in a regular competition or in general play and count it for their handicap.

However it is also a requirement that the round must be played by the rules of golf. As the competition is changing one of the rules, then my interpretation is that the score shouldn't be submitted.

I may have missed something, or not have been paying attention, but which rule of golf is not being played to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

Limit of 14 clubs.

If a player can be disqualified for using 5 or more clubs, then strictly speaking the rules of golf are no longer being applied.

OK so by limiting the number of clubs you're breaching the rule that allows up to 14 clubs to be used.

FYI to @The Big Easy , no rules against sharing of golf bags:

Interesting...unintentional conversation. On rules of golf.

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

Sorry I have to call a halt to any idea of anybody considering sharing a bag.

you only have 4 clubs to worry about but you’ll also likely need extra balls, tees, gloves, towels, food, drinks, hats, snoods, extra jumper, take a jumper off, wet gear, brolly etc. try getting 4 sets of that into one bag and everyone routing around at same time or lining up to have their turn at routing around in the bag

then add to it your round, 4 tee shots in 4 different directions. …..:: one bag is one way to hold the whole show up.

let’s keep this simple, bring your own gear and you should fly around with a lighter bag and less club selection to have to consider

Fair play - RR - you definitely have us thinking. As a golfing forum , nice to have us challenged anyway.

As mentioned 1/2 joking - might try do it with 1 or 2 clubs. an 8iron and/or a putter.

Also - will be the first time ever - I would consider carrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Its a serious round. But sure if anyone feels like taking a flask of hot whiskey to stay warm I can assign them into a take the piss group. I'll even drive them to and from the course 😉

LOL. Correct, 4 clubs is the maximum limit. Feel free to reduce this number as you see fit 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If there's whiskey involved, i think you mean you'll need someone to drive you to and from the course 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I think a lot of high handicappers would score better with less clubs.

And Corballis is the perfect place for even less than a half bag, we could be surprised with scoring if people get past the mental block and just play the clubs they have.

I'm pretty sure I'd score better with 4 than 14 clubs around Corballis tbh.

It takes the, "I'll just give the Driver a whack" decision away and the "if I just lob this one up really high that'll look great thinking" and the catastrophic "if I hit my best ever 3 wood I can get on here"

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭a post punk

I’m thinking 5iron, 8iron , 56 and the putter ( putter can’t be left out on a links can it really??)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Was only semi-serious about bag sharing, I'll be carrying anyway, might even look into a pencil bag for the outing!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭a post punk

Also@RoadRunner an 8 metre putting mat?? Does that roll out into 2 rooms 😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Last few times I’ve played Corballis, I’ve probably only used 5 or 6 clubs so going back to 4 will be fun!! Have 4 in mind and have dug out my stand back so gonna carry my clubs as well.

Will probably change my mind a hundred times before we play but that’s part of the crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I have bad memories of playing with you in Corballis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

I played Corballis once, and hit my driver once in the round. Didn't hit a 3 or 5 wood. Shot making and accuracy definitely rewarded, with little need for length bar the two separate holes (15-16?). This is with the caveat I didn't experience any real wind. My favourite/most often hit irons are 4 and 7, so definitely coming with me. Putter isn't being left. So only choice in left with is 54 or 50 wedge.

I suppose you could in theory hit driver on holes

2, 3, 5, 8, 11,12,14,15,16 &18

but you don’t really need to. Something like a 4 iron would in most cases leave you with a short iron into the green with holes 3&12 (par5)a bit longer. Some holes two well struck 7 irons might be enough.

its all relative though. Each player hits different shot types & different distances. Remember this is links golf, it’s a different beast and not something most of us have lots of experience at. Wind will play a factor and Big Easy makes a great point about not nailing down his clubs till he actually steps out of the car on the day

• Advertisement

Dog leg par 4 😆

I'll post a photo of it next time I roll it out.

Advertisement