Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roytheboyo

Have you people nothing better to be doing, title of thread: Softening Housing Market, why not stick to that rather than trying to score points like children.

This is why 99% of whats on boards is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

I currently contract into the public sector but have previously been full time in the private sector also. I work with public sector employees and know their pay scales. For my current role I would be paid less if I went full time in the public sector and that's a fact. But if I was to put a monetary value on the extra leave, work demands etc. then any pay gap narrows quite quickly.

I can only speak from what have seen over 20 years of both public and private work, I cannot comment on the source or validity of CSO weekly wage data.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭fliball123

Well then have a gander at the cso data Table 1 Average weekly earnings it breaks down the 2 sectors for Q2 in 2022 (before the public sector last round of payrises) private sector is 808.33 which reduced since Q1 down 11.55 a week and the public sector is 1056 up 12.54 since Q1. So much for all the lads talking about wages going up in the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Your Ken Foxe link discusses 66 retired senior staff such as Sec Gens. Sec Gens are the most senior staff in a department after a minister.

They would be the most savvy, skilled, cut-throat and ambitious people in any department, who would manage several thousand staff.

People like that gravitate towards jobs that get paid like that.

Its not representative of anything.

The CEO of Dunnes Stores probably makes a few quid too, do you have a problem with that? Or are you only outraged by people who work for the state getting paid a lot?

Regardless, it only points to the excesses of the older generation, and has nothing to do with the average PS/CS employee of today.

Last time I checked Dunnes store are not in 240Billion worth of debt and the tax payer is not forced to pay a cent towards their employees salary or anyone with pension who worked there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jesus Christ, this one again, public debt isnt necessarily a bad thing, it depends what that debt is used for, if this debt/money is used to benefit society and the economy, everyone wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Government debt is different from household debt.

At this stage I’m just giving you a platform to bang your drum so I think we will just agree to disagree and leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

You’re ignoring the increased seasonality in the private sector in average weekly earnings which the CSO are at pains to make clear.

Move a few cells to the right.

Annual increase in weekly earnings (to remove seasonality)

Public Sector - 0.6%

Private Sector - 4.5%

The tax payer still has to pay for the servicing of the debt and with interest rates racking up this debt is going to be a huge albatross around the tax payers neck , the tax payers kids necks and the tax payers grand kids necks.. So yeah lets agree to disagree

bond yield rates are generally at fixed rates, most of our current government debt has been taken on during record low levels, these record low rates still exist at approximately 2.5%, yes servicing of these debts is the responsibility of all, including businesses operating within our jurisdiction, including corporations etc. its a misnomer to continually use these type of debts as a negative towards current and future generations, as its a critical social and economic need, without which, neither a functioning society and economy is not possible without it, and by not having such debts, this would force us out into credit markets for our debt/money needs, which would be highly dangerous, i.e. the main cause of the 08 crash!

• Advertisement

The fact is higher rates towards the end of this year and going into next year will make this debt more expensive as time goes on and its money that will have to be taken out of the exchequer that could of been used else where had this debt not been ramped up to such a degree. This debt has been only ramping up in the last 25 (pre 2000 we had very little debt as a nation) odd years due to political incompetence and the buying of votes with with stupid decision such as benchmarking twice, bailing out banks and overly generous welfare handouts to name but a few of the decisions that has added massively to this debt. We are one of the most indebted nations on the planet there was no need for all of it - some debt yes but not to the level it has got to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,378 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Lads have to go back home and feed the cattle. How else are you supposed to get it done ffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,447 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Even with that they are still paid 20% more on average per week

• Registered Users Posts: 14,447 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Two pages of rubbish about public v private pay.

You are mixing up your terminology there. Are you thinking of the coupon rate? Generally issuers would prefer to issue floating debt (if fixed, they will often swap it back to floating). Especially for longer maturity debt as it reduces the duration. The yield on any given bond will change from day to day. (That's yield-to-maturity rather than par-yield which is a different thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

Thread in general is a disaster, lately anyway.

again, more misnomer conservative nonsense!

once again, bond yields are generally at fixed rates, rates are currently at record lows, currently just shy of 3%, roughly 15% during the 80's, yes, when bonds mature, these must be serviced, baring in mind, it is common practice for such debts to be continually rolled over, and refinanced, without leading to great problems...

in order for an economy to grow, as ours did over the last few decades, our debts must grow, as debt is our money supply, i.e. no debt, no money supply, equals no fun!

...but yes, a significant proportion of our debts have been greatly misused, this has become very evident in the last couple of decades, bail outs, and subsequently the bail out of property markets etc, i.e. a significant proportion of our debts, both household(private), and public debts, have ultimately been used to (re)inflate asset markets, in particular our property markets....

...some would call these debts odious, and really should be forgiven(best of luck with trying to do that one!)

so generous welfare that had to be almost doubled for some during covid!

increasing welfare actually makes sense, again, as pup proved, as a lot of this money was spent into the economy almost immediately, protecting many businesses, and helping in creating jobs!

its clearly obvious we have become overly dependent on the credit supply, which is now only truly being used to (re)inflate that value of assets such as property, and the only way to counteract this is by increasing the public entity of the money supply, the deficit, but to not use it towards (re)inflating the value of assets, but to actual use it to help us achieve our needs, including, and in particular in creating new assets such as new properties!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

The original purpose of this thread was to NOT be a home for discussions around macroeconomics or what the lunchbreaks in the Dept. of Agriculture are like - that's what the general property market thread is for. This thread was meant to be about specifics e.g. 'there's a house near me in great nick but still hasn't sold', 'wow, supply has really gone up (or not)' etc. But the derailing just keeps happening... Some people just like shouting at strangers on the internet, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

@Beigepaint

my example is from third-level education.

The starting pay for some lecturers is 68k approx. I spoke to a lad aged approx 30 who recently started on 68k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,469 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You still have not posted where ordinary PS got more than there statutory entitlements.

Yes there was senior PS's who were in contracts as opposed to psyscales who got severance deals retire them from posts in government quangos which were set up and they were seconded or contracted to.

Most PS back then had no entitlement to any of the OAP. They paid a D stamp so there pension pot seem inordinately high as well back then Garda retired in there mid 50's newer recruits are contracted until 65.

Take the value of the OAP from any pot and it would reduce the pot by 250-300k

Pensions in general ate a mess in this country. See the opposition by certain political parties to the raising of the pension age to 68. It was a handy political football in the last election. It's another longterm financial liability we will have as well as our inability to introduce auto enrollment.

Government rules by consent of the public the inability of most of the public to understand basic economics is the issue we are where we are. But then it similar with houses. We have regulated housing to a stage where any newly build or renovated house much be the equivlent of a EV BMW, however a lot of ordinary Joe's can only afford a second hand golf and similar to the disappearance of UK imports the effect on the market is obvious

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Meanwhile in the US....

U.S. existing home sales fall for 10th straight month in worst stretch since 1999

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-existing-home-sales-fall-150154520.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Interesting to see that USA house prices are still 37% above pre pandemic prices

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭jj880

There will be more interest rate hikes, until when, I don't know. I am absolutely honest, I don't know," De Guindos said.

Your buddy is spoofing you with his starting salary of 68k. That's not a general starting salary. Could he perhaps be a professional who is also teaching? Like a surgeon/doctor/barrister?

Academic conditions are sh1t in the US for example, but some people in the business schools do get well paid. But that is only in specific cases

Google throws this up as an indicator of starting salaries for you:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Why don't others post more often instead of leaving it to a core group to entertain and inform with constant regular on point news and debate.

You yourself make little contribution by way of post regularity. Too many watchers not enough doers. Thread bound to wander off track.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

More policymakers wanted a .75 than a .50 rise last week, but Lagarde got them to stick to .50 by agreeing to two or three further .50 rises in succession.

Just looked at their schedule of meetings and that could mean rates will be 1.5% higher by May 2023. We’re at 2% now.

Lagarde also said last week to look to the Fed to see how far they have yet to go. The Fed has said it expects it will need to get rates to over 5% before it gets a grasp of inflation. Our rate of inflation is worse than in the US.

It’s going to be a tough few years.

Few on here thought (myself included) no way rates would go above 3/4% and would come back down inside a couple years as it would banjax the economy. Hard times in the next few years for sure. What Im worried about is when the government runs out of ideas to prop up property prices. Who knows when that will be but I think that's when things will really go south.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,469 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Will people explain WTF they think government are propping up house prices.

The only supports that are there are for FTB. Do we withdraw them

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

At this stage I find this amazing. Honest question: are you serious?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement