Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Looks very like an old euro bracket but the top to bottom measurement of 250mm is not a euro bracket size I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

That mightn't be a fully accurate measurement tbh prob be a bit more than 250 not much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I'd say it's a Rossmore alright. This is our old headstock on the Rossmore loader. Yours looks the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Yeah it's definitely a Rossmore Headstock. I think the fl45 was a narrower loader and the 60, 80 and 100 were wider. There was definitely a wide and a narrow model.

Ya it looks very similar to that surely.

• Advertisement

Right that'd explain the neighbors stuff not fitting so if his was the narrow model.

Thanks for the info lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Hi all, just posting this for a neighbour.

he has a 30 year Massey Ferguson 390 with a loader, he is looking to trade up.

Has a budget of 20K along with the Massey - so about €35,000.

His daughter will be taking over after so looking for hook lift arms and few extra comforts if possible, power shuttle/lighter clutch

must have a loader - stockman use for mowing, topping, loading stacking bales, cleaning out sheds, feeding, etc

I advised he might get new Holland TS115 in his budget - which would enable him to use a double bale lifter and it should comfortably lift a 2 ton pallet on the front, but I wouldn’t be sure about the gearbox reliability in them.

other option might be a MF 5455 but again not sure if the dyna 4 or power shift gearbox should be the best either. Or if it would be as capable tractor as the TS

so for €35,000 what would you recommend for stockman these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

TS115 is a far more capable machine than the 5455.

But neither will handle 2 tonne.

You would need a 5.5 or 6 tonne gross weight tractor to maneuver a 2 tonne pallet, the TS will just about, but not quite handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Do they need to lift 2 tonne that often, would need a decent enough size of tractor for that I'd imagine. Implements to suit the size of tractor and work from there. Use of contractor for heavier work would also be an option to consider to reduce work load.

Have jcb here for loader work, tractor only does fert and agitator and drawing bales, contractors do all other tractor work really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

A TS115 certainly wouldn’t be comfortable on a 2 ton pallet. It’ll need a big strong loader on it to be capable of lifting it and if you succeed at lifting it then you’ll only drive in straight lines as it’ll be too much weight on the front axle so you won’t be able to turn the steering.

Gearbox would be one item on a TS115 that you’ll never have to worry about. they’re a great tractor but are expensive to pick up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

What defects are ok when buying a loader? Would a weld on a loader be a massive red flag or would it be fine?

What if the loader is a bit warped, would it matter or what's the danger with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Warped loader, big no no. First off you have to ask what was the user doing to warp it. This leads towards a rough operated.

Anything that is warped will have stains put on welds which could be starting to crack, if it was me I would walk from it

Would it matter how the warp happened or how much it's warped?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Stay away. Your only buying in problems. May be cheap day 1 but won't end that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

There is a ts115a and a ts115, the ts115a would be the newer design with a much more comfortable cab. Available with dual power gearbox, and forward/reverse shuttle on steering column, which is handy for loader work. I think only the sle has the shuttle on the column.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

How it happened will tell a lot about the previous owner of it, could be a dog on machines. If it was slight someone could have already push back against the twist to straighten it. Cracking could be happening in the inside of the loader beam,metal at the twist points will be more ductile and prone to failure

The question you have to ask would you feel safe tracking with a wet bale on the front. If it's only ever going to move a few bales of hay or straw no problem. If it has to move a lock of fusion bales thread carefully

For me anything more that half an inch on a loader I would walk away from. But I have to handle a pit and over 200 bales

The tractor and rest seems flawless.

It's not going cheap, but everything except for that is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

TS115a is 6 cylinder 115 Hp machine, MF 5455 is 4 cylinder 95 hp pre 2008 and 105 post 2008, so not really comparing like with like.

As other have mentioned, neither will lift 2 T on the front loader, both would handle a double bale handler on the back and a single bale on the front.

The MF has an excellent reputation as a loader tractor, esp if you can get a sloped bonnet version and Hi viz roof. Either gearbox is good.My choice would be the MF as a neater loader tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,593 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If they're going for a bale splitter/plastic catcher after. Which face it anyone that feeds bales will eventually have one. Then the extra weight and strength of the TS will be needed.

I wouldn't go near a tractor, loader with a strained loader. You could take the tractor and get the dealer to sell without and just the brackets and get them or yourself to find another loader. But no, it's not worth it for a bent loader.

I nearly decapitated someone once in a car from keeping a loader down and watching overhead wires while entering out a field gate onto a road. The loader was strained and I had someone press it back into shape. But it was never the same. There's enough hardship in the world without knowingly purchasing it.

Just copped there's two different posters here, @farmingquestion and @Jim Simmental and somehow I now have it in my mind they were the one poster and the TS's loader was warped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

We have a bale shear on an Mf 4255 95 hp with MF 875 / Quicke loader for past 3 winters. No bother on tractor to handle it, although we do have a 450 kg weight on the back. The 5455 is heavier, has a longer wheel base and more powerful hydraulics, so should handle it no bother IMO. But I'd recommend a rear weight for safety.

When you pay money for the patent of a tractor design but want to see can you turn a profit from it.

Or could be just unashamedly knocking em off and chancing their arm.

Edit : look up Mehmet Simseker traktor on Tiktok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

Cool! Bit too much chrome though. At least they upgraded the steering. Patents on a 185 are probably well and truly expired. There are a number of Turkish and Indian companies building old MF models, some under license from Agco include the MF branding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

Couple of extRa horses for next year. Kept old one for tipping around yard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭stanflt

a wash for the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

From some reason I thought you were a Massey man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Just after realizing the 110 90 is vintage this year. Must be time to touch up the rust on the cab and sort out some of the wiring.

A seal on the roof hatch would be good too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭stanflt

How old does it have to be to be classified as vintage

Advertisement