Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

They can be quite reliable. I bought the one on the left here, in 1993 and it has run essentially non stop since - never serviced or needed repair.

I believe in those days the battery/capacitor was made of titanium and gold, which would go some way to explaining the longevity and reliability. It's Titanium and weights a hefty 51g. The Seiko, also Ti, weighs 114g

• Registered Users Posts: 65,438 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Hello there, relative newcomer to these parts

I don't know why they're all rotated in mad ways... Anyone who can offer advice please do so! But anyway, here's my modest collection:

Citizen J810 Eco Drive, with stainless steel bracelet swapped for rubber, making it eminently more wearable daily - the stainless one is easily swapped out for dressier occassions:

Seiko 5 Sports - my new watch/ Christmas present:

Orient Bambino with leather strap and deployant clasp:

W&W Chronograph - an Irish microbrand that were just getting started when Covid hit and unfortunately, they didn't make it. I like this watch, though:

Muji watch on tan strap:

The Horse D-Series on Nato Strap - Australian microbrand making clean, basic fashion watches, very wearable:

The last two are available for sale on adverts if anyone has interest, though I suspect the tastes around here are beyond those offering! My next watch will be my first step into the "luxury" market. Eyeing up a Tudor Black Bay 58 once the funds allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

"edit" the photos and resave them, they'll pop the right way round.

That's a really nice, interesting collection. The orient is my favourite out of the lot though.

Yeah, I tried that and but they still roated when uploading here. I could save them to an image hosting site but frankly don't want to go through all that! Anyway, thanks for the response! The Orient is lovely and so versatile, but I'm excited by the Seiko and so happy with the Citizen now it's on a different strap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

like the orient, and everyone needs a Seiko in their collection

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Loving that Orient Dave!

The Horse one is nice in a bauhaus minimalistic grand design house extension kinda way;)

My San Mar_tan arrived with fractionally misaligned dial. Sigh. As someone who will get out bed to straighten picture frames or shoes it just, won't, do...

You can see it at 18 clearly

Movement in spec but....

...that's an improvement.

Finish is super, alignments good now, shes eh on time, very happy, well until....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Really like the Orient, everyone should have a flavour of a Seiko 5 in their lives😁 The W&W is a new one to me, can't say I'd ever heard of them prior to seeing your one. That of course led me to googling and finding Wallet & Watches. It seems a real shame that the timing of COVID and other issues went against them. I would've liked to have seen what their planned auto looked like. Nice collection and enjoy them.

Nice photos, what's the adjustment on the clasp like?

Minimal enough banie01, four micro adjust. I have a supposedly decent quality milled sterile glide lock I may fit once it lands. They look great on a black silicone curved end strap too.

Yeah, it was a shame with W&W. Hopefully the guys behind make a comeback at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

New Amazon purchase, bought the strap seperately. Seiko automatic movement.

Post edited by mondeo on

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ian OB

Expecting a new wrist guard this Sunday.

Obligatory lume shot :)

Brilliant lol.

Seamless integration of design and functionality!

Terrible picture and not even my watch. Does that mean I get banned now @Wibbs ? 😂

Tried it on in Weir's yesterday and I thought I might as well get on "the list" for it, if that even means anything if you haven't brought the shop tens of thousands of profit for jewelry.

Yikes, there it is again.

A strong streak of self flagellation among the rolexati. I question the inverse relationship to please the AD so that s/he considers you favourably enough to receive the blessed nod to buy the product.

No self flagellation from me. There would be if I had spent lots of money on other stuff in there. Whether that meant I got the watch I wanted or not 😂

On this watch there now is feck all difference in price between AD and grey anyway. I didn't even have a plan to put myself on the list, the Rolex sales man suggested it.

Here I was the same day in Dawson's. Quite like the YM2 but my kids are saying no

I'd lean towards your kids thinking, it's too busy imo.

I hope you get what you want and mean no offence, I just don't get the relationship so many buyers seem prepared to deal with.

Not sure if you're reading me wrong, but I don't care about any relationship with any Rolex AD. I go in for a chat, try on their watches, take a pic, drink their bubbly and get a nice free shiny Rolex book. All paid for by our jewelry buying friends 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭C0N0R

What’s the AD price on the submariner unkel?

Not overly keen on the YM2 personally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

my brother in law likes these too, like your kids I have no idea why 😂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Personally I've always found Rolex design language staid, but it became that way for a reason. It worked. The Explorer being the daddy, most of the rest a variation on that extremely solid theme. The Sub, originally the Explorer with a bezel, is clearly a Stone Cold Classic. But when Rolex move even slightly out of their design wheelhouse the results are mixed, if not a bit ugh. The YM to my eyes anyway is firmly in that category.

I suppose if you actually go yachting? Then again I'm wearing a trench watch today and wasn't at Verdun,

so I suppose for us watch nerds that ship, or yacht, has long sailed. 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

That watch design and layout was and is the basis for many to come because the fundaments are all there, it worked and form followed function.

If I were to buy a rolex it would be as simple and elegant as possible without overcomplication. They were afterall work horses.

@C0N0R - I dunno what the retail is on the bluesy, in my head I have a figure of around €14k, but I guess check Rolex.com, it will be there. Edit - yeah €14,900

@Cyrus - LOL, yeah the overwhelming majority of even Rolex enthusiasts don't like it, I've many times seen it called a "clown watch" on watch forums. I guess in Rolex terms it is the complete opposite of a base black submariner. It is big, it is loud, it is colourful, it has interesting complications. What the watches have in common though is that they are sturdy watches with excellent bracelets

Also tried on an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak offshore - a grey chrono. A watch that in size and butchness really suits me, I like the style too. It sure is a step up in ways from the likes of Rolex and the bracelet is a thing of beauty. Surprised that it felt nearly as tall and about as heavy as my James Cameron. Beautiful watch, but the dial is nearly illegible (I know we don't wear watches to tell the time - but really! 😂), without having to take reading glasses out which I don't need for anything (yet) except read the menu in a dimly lit restaurant at night when it is in particularly small font or not in black and white 😂

The bracelet, beautiful as it is, tapers too much on the inside for my liking and it has zero quick adjustments, which basically doesn't suit me as my watch can easily go up or down in size by 5mm within the one day and a lot more in the seasons. I do very much like the AP ROO divers, but they don't come on a bracelet. A was tempted earlier this year by the boutique only Scuba version, of which there was one for sale on chrono24 where the owner had had a bracelet fitted. Some watch that was. Then I saw the asking price go up by about €1000 per week until it was sold. I didn't want to be in that madness and that's where my ambition to own one ended...

Those were exactly my thoughts before I bought my first Rolex. I also wanted an understated watch. I bought the Rolex Explorer 214270

Simple three hander, who needs a date that you would have to manually change nearly every month anyway? Super sturdy and you don't need a submariner with one of those silly diving bezels, that takes away from the dial thus from the watch, if you don't go diving, right?

And 5 years before that I could not have imagined I'd ever even own a Rolex - they were for new money showoffs. So not for me.

Yet here I am now, several Rolex later and I am getting into the blingier ones. It's mad, but at the same time I'm glad that my opinions / tastes change (some say evolve) over time 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

It has been a little while, but I thought I'd give this a spin for the day.

Unkel, for me, the pictured 214270 embodies what I would want from the brand. It's timeless, stylish and understated cool. The others you posted are garish in comparison imo.

For a long time I had set in stone no case size above 38mm yet today I'm happily wearing a king tuna, so I get that taste and appreciation can change.

Anyway, no one else's opinion matters one jot if your happy with what's on your wrist.

Don't have one, something I've being meaning to rectify for ages, which rendition would you recommend?

I'd love to see you one day buy that Explorer and then I'd love to see what Rolex you will own 10 years after that. I bet not the same one 😁

My current one is this. Have it exactly 2 years now, great watch, but a bit bored with it, want a change and I can't afford to keep it if I want another Rolex or anything else costing that sort of money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i had a ROO diver on rubber for a bit, lovely watch but too big for me, rubber works better i think because of the limitations of the bracelet that you have already pointed out!

Advertisement