Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Nobody cares about Covid anymore"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I think questions do need to be asked about why a number of people in positions of power were allowed flout the rules while ordinary citizens were restricted from attending funerals/births etc.

Absolutely. Many were railed in the media and need to be held accountable.

But your response seems to indicate that we should just shrug it off as if "well them's the breaks. Nothing to see here".

Okay, but what should we do, hold a tribunal to pander to subjective fringe opinions on the internet?

We had measures and restrictions like most countries, the majority of the public agreed with the majority of them. Not everything was perfect of course, but we weren't dramatically out of line with the actions of most world governments.

It would be insane not to do a review of our handling of the pandemic.

We need to understand why government policy was based on woefully inaccurate models. Why wasn't outside help brought in?

We need to know why our health experts were so against Antigen tests when the rest of the world were using them. What was different in Ireland? Why wasn't outside help brought in?

We need to understand why it was so hard to report accurate information such as deaths/hospitalisations with or from COVID.

why was our testing capacity and hospital discharges so low on weekends? Can't be that much of an emergency if the majority of our doctors and testers still have the weekends off.

I don't think we did anything grossly wrong, but I do agree and think there should be proper reviews and post-mortems of our handling of the crisis, what we did right, what we did wrong, what could have been improved - so we have an official template the next time there is a similar crisis. That said, I think after 3 years experience we do have a decent bead on how to handle a future pandemic, this has been a huge learning exercise for the modern generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Well I think your post is nonsense, Patnor. And here is why ...

Do you not remember (or did you not read) the whole point of this conversation was that some guy who didn't want to wear a mask or take a vaccine or be restricted at all , was complaining that all non Covid care was cancelled. If you don't remember ( or haven't read it ) I suggest politely you go go back and read the posts again , the ones I was replying to anyway , before getting engaged .

Non Covid WAS reduced to emergencies for the first part of the pandemic . Staff diverted to Covid care which was exploding at the time those two..posters say they were in hospital ( Jan 2021 ) which must have been nonCovid if it was " quiet " .

A&E was even separated in most hospitals, so it would depend what was wrong with you .

Were you or any of this others talking about " quiet " hospitals actually hospitalised with Covid or in Covid ICU during that time ? ie .Does any of you have a notion what you are talking about ?

If non urgent care had not been cancelled we would have been overwhelmed. Plain and simple. As it was , there was barely enough staff even with derogation, with people testing positive etc. If those strict restrictions weren't brought in at those high peaks in infection Ireland's health service would have ended up like Italy.

And @DLinkthose videos were made on people's OFF DUTY time by young staff who had nothing else to entertain them and needed to let off some steam and lighten the mood. That is all. So silly of you to be saying otherwise and the fact that you still do only shows your bias tbh

Yes I think there are posters here who are hysterical and obsessed alright with Covid , but not the posters you are referring to !

Absolutely lessons need to be learned , as they were in fact the way our reaction changed through the pandemics learning and data evolved, but some people are so upset over the initial severe lockdown they can't move on .

We were too long opening up that first Sumner , too slow to shut down when cases climbed, didn't use masks early enough when everything was pointing to it being an airborne virus, didn't start using antigen tests early enough, didn't make use of private hospitals to treat non Covid elective patients.

These points are recognised now but yes it would be good to have a citizens assembly to discuss what should be dispensed with if it happens again.

The zero Covid group did science no favours , using emotive and exaggerated language, nor did the very " yes man " and infantilised approach of our main TV station .

But on the other side there are many very serious questions as well to answer..

Isn't it time to examine why some people feel their individual freedoms and rights in society should be put above protecting lives at a time of extreme urgency ? By all means believe in it if you have a mind to, but don't act out as some did. There are rules and laws to protect everyone in society in normal times and not just the fit and able never mind in a pandemic of world proportions.

Remember there was a time in the last century when that thinking was allowed to gain primacy to everyone's cost , lest we forget .

Do you not agree errors of judgement were made by those anti restrictions as well? Believing absolute hogwash over respectable scientific evidence for one ?

Allowing themselves to be used as fodder by right wing groups ?

Remember those who said we would never have restrictions removed and that it was all leading to... many conspiracy theories I won't be discussing here!

There are so many criticisms of the thinking of both sides but unless people stop with the tag teams on posters who are willing to try to discuss it rationally , nothing will ever be achieved here except venting .

Or is this all a one sided excercise ?

Is it just point scoring/thanks garnering at this stage?

I would venture here is no longer the place to discuss Covid anymore as everybody here has their battle lines drawn from past.. experience. But not to hide it away from examination. We owe it to those that died to look at it properly and fairly and not be partisan.

A citizens assembly would get my vote as the best forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

• Advertisement

Indeed, also I wouldn't take views here too seriously, it's an anonymous internet forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Absolute disingenous bollix, 80K doctors died WITH covid, not from.

the Irish Times had an article about how it was around 180 people in Ireland that died from covid alone.

Down from 7k ... we know you are dissapointed that restrictions are over and really really want them back, but people want to move on with their lives.

You can continue treble masking outside if you so wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

80,000 medical staff? With covid? Think about that for a minute. Given that they aren't in the cohort most of risk from covid, what did they die of???

The rest of your claims are debunked here. Covid was the primary cause of death. Just because someone has co-morbidities, it doesn't change that.

https://www.thejournal.ie/how-many-people-have-died-from-covid-19-in-ireland-5198763-Sep2020/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

If you are going to be pedantic, do it properly.

Absolutely disingenuous bollix, it's ESTIMATED 80,000 to 180,000 MEDICAL AND CARE WORKERS died AS A RESULT of Covid.

Calm down, you know what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,084 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

A new strain would need to be more infectious than omicron. More infectious would likely mean a weaker variant also (like what happened with omicron) there's a strong chance we are on our 4th or 5th post-omicron variant without realising it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Best of the lot. Last July the WHO were calling for the return of social distancing.

Ireland needs to increase Covid-19 vaccination efforts, reintroduce face masks and social distancing, and encourage regular antigen testing, according to the World Health Organization.

Most people were vaccinated by July 2022 and we had restrictions for another 6 months. It was insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That poster isn't being serious.

Was it not obvious like?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

23 healthcare workers died with Covid in Ireland through the entire pandemic up to August 2022. That includes doctors, nurses, assistants, nursing home staff etc. An ex-gratia payment of €100,000 could be applied for by relatives of someone active in Heath services with covid on their death certificate. 2 applied.

I assume, with some sensitivity, that healthcare providers die while active in service every year - how do Covid stats compare? Healthcare workers can themselves be in bad health.

And on another point entirely some poster tried to victim-blame people for not showing to scheduled screenings - that’s fairly bleak, as those people were either afraid of contracting Covid or wrongly being conscious of burdening health service, which was solely due to government and media messaging - until the message changed, at which point the damage was already done and people were understandably reluctant to turn up.

Who victim blamed anyone about cancer screening? I didn't read or certainly don't think that. It is a fact though that initially for example Breast Check were trying to get people to keep their appointments, for which large numbers were either not turning up or were cancelling. Yes, it was Covid and fear of Covid partly but why blame the service when they were doing their best to open up safely?

And eh no, you normally would not get hcws dying at work... A percentage acquire work related injuries through accidents, reoetitive strain or assaults, but rarely serious diseases. Occasionally TB but very rare and very treatable now.

In 40 years nursing I have only heard of one nurse who died from a work related infection and that was in the UK... before Covid.

And nurses are no more unhealthy than the rest of the population.. Fat ones, thin ones, olympic medallists and tik tok dancers.. All sorts!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The health bureaucrats managed to convince enough people that Covid was a greater threat than cancer, and they were spending so much money propping up radio stations and newspapers with advertising (convincing the population that Covid was a greater threat than cancer) no media outlet questioned them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Nobody wanted fathers to miss out on their partner's labour.

Unfortunately, women in the late stages of pregnancy are at higher risk of severe illness from Covid than the general population. If your sister had got really ill or lost the baby because the partner of the women in the next bed gave her Covid, how would you feel about it then?

Like so many other things, restricting access to partners was certainly unfortunate but done for all the right reasons, and that's something people cannot seem to grasp, or simply don't want to grasp.

I don't disagree about certain parts of the media...

Because health bureaucrats behaved in a manner that was extremely irresponsible and were allowed to do so. Letting people die alone, advising old people not to hug their grand kids for the best part of two years, banning kids sports, etc was demented. Much of what was imposed was unnecessary, most of us ended up being infected anyway.

• Advertisement

Of course not, it's terrible that people weren't able to see their children being born, but it wasn't a normal situation. It was a global pandemic. The lives of the parents and newborn and patients were a higher priority, the lives of doctors and nurses in the hospital were a priority. Again, not every single rule or measure in every situation made sense. However most people understood why there were such rules. In the case of hospitals, and how vital and sensitive they are, I can see why they were extremely cautious.

In any situation, and especially in a pandemic, a hospital will always going with being over-cautious than the opposite - which could lead to lives being lost.

It was a huge threat, national health systems were at risk from collapsing or being overwhelmed. Italy was in a state. People in India were suffocating to death because they didn't have enough oxygen.

That was with all the measures.

The individual revisionists are coming out of the woodwork now the threat has passed. Now that we have vaccines, that we have herd immunity, that we've been through multiple variants, that we have a much higher understanding, that we have all the hindsight - they're playing the "it was fine all along, what was the fuss" spiel.

They certainly are not. What is being defended is the ridiculous notion that masks do not prevent the spread of infection. They do. Any argument to the contrary is wrong. That’s what was being discussed.

I believe what you may be reading, is the comments where it’s suggested, perhaps if you’re sick & need to go out to say the supermarket, wear a mask so you’re not spreading your cold/flu/covid all over the place. That’s usually countered as I said by some false claim that masks don’t prevent infections spreading.

It was a greater threat than cancer. Its an infectious disease. It could lead to numbers dying and requiring hospiral care which would overwhelm hospital services - as happened in Italy and Wuhan. And spread to and take out staff. And when that happens the standard of care for all drops.

Cancer does not pose that kind of threat.

We should have imposed targeted protection of the vulnerable, like the experts at the time were advocating for, especially from Winter 2020 on...we didn't, we knew at that stage who to target, we went with the Chinese model, it's has caused carnage, our hospital system is under massive strain right now, excess deaths are surging in this state right now, waiting lists are at about 1,000,000 right now, those that buried their heads in the sand and went along with the extended restrictions are having to come to terms with the massive damage that has been done, then you have the few who can't seem to take their heads out of the sand!

Targeted protection doesnt work.

Tried nowhere, worked nowhere for all the reasons explained... in a society where covid is rampant how do medical and care staff avoid it? Multi generational households with vulnerable? How do the vulnerable safely access essential services?

It’s a fact that covid did not just infect and cause the deaths of those who were considered “vulnerable”. To state, as fact no less, that a different approach would have been more effective is ludicrous. You’re hypothesising at best & without any evidence to support it you simply cannot be sure. Things may have been 10x better or 10x worse with the approach outlined, but you can’t know for sure, the only way really is to do it all again and that can’t really happen.

Well, you can look at the states that didn't impose the severe restrictions and compare them with the states that did...you can also factor in the rate of excess death that we are now witnessing.

I'm not a doctor or nurse so I don't have in-depth info, but on my reading of it, it depended on many factors. Some mat hospitals were well ventilated, others were built centuries ago with terrible ventilation. Likewise, the type of room, if it was a single patient room or multi-patient. Individual hospitals seemed to operate their own versions of the rules for various reasons, some were allowed visits for multiple hours per day, other's were more limited. It's a pity we don't have the insight of more doctors and nurses on these forums, but that's unfortunately often the nature of internet discussion forums. A whole bunch of lay-people.

• Advertisement

How can you say it doesn't work if you also believe it wasn't tried anywhere?

Advertisement