Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey valley to start charging for parking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Most people think shops pay rent and that's it.

Some shops pay a straight forward rent, but many are on a basic + % turnover rent. I would suspect at least 50% of retailers are on a turnover based rent. - In the likes of Kildare Village EVERY retailer is on a turnover based rent

The liffey valley foodcourt is all a small basic + % of turnover rent.

I'm in the retail game for over 30 years. i know several of the retailer in Liffey Valley and also i Retail Excellence who are the umbrella group for retailers.

There is almost universal positive reports from traders in Liffey valley as it has got rid of the scourge of all day parkers that were either in the offices around the place or left the cars and went on the bus that was causing a large portion of spaces to be used.

The other scourge was staff parking beside the entrances and taking up all the prime spaces. This is gone too. Some do have concerns about the barrier system and people needing to know their registration number, buts its only a few.

But overall there is huge support for the charges by the retailers themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I'd much prefer to do as much of my shopping locally now. I will venture to the retail park where argos is in LV if needs be though. Judge it when the traffic is decent.

The rest I will do online. It's some serious poke they will be making from this and to compound matters they have f**ked up the traffic. They haven't improved anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Thanks so much, this is a very interesting info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I just parked at the nearby Tesco today and walked 2 min to the LV. Met at least 20 people on the way doing same. Tesco parking is much busier than it normally used to be. I personally didn't plan but also jumped into Tesco after visiting LV so it's a win win I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Two of my kids work at LV, so I regularly drop then off / pick them up, usually at the staff carpark entrance. There's now always a steady stream of people walking to and from the retail park (with free parking)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I have seen this too - though I’m only there on an irregular basis. I wonder how long the free parking will last at the RP before that’s nipped in the bud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I reckon zara were waiting for 3 or 4 shops in a row to become vacant. Huge amount of work gone into that shop, its the nicest shop in the centre now. Also, M&S completely revamped their food section. So that end is pretty impressive now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

There's magic in the air thus christmas at liffey valley

Watch yyour wallet shrink before you even walk in the door. Wow!

Worldwide cuntishness snowballs. Why not cut people a break. There is clearly capacity for all the cars in the retail park but hey, we can screw the common man and woman, let's be conts.

Frankly I'm depressed and ashamed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

M&S might look impressive but it's still dead as door nail!! It's just a pretty empty shell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Was busy when I was there. But the real test is when the sales are finished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Depressed and ashamed? You need to get a grip here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you go into the city centre, do you expect to park your car for free?

What else should be free to people who choose to drive?

You're not being screwed but if you do believe that you are then take your business elsewhere where you won't feel the need to be depressed and ashamed (😏). I was in the centre early last Saturday and the car parks were busy enough so thankfully not everyone is depressed and ashamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Any reports on the traffic situation? Has the model of fleecing people for parking helped in this regard? I was in Blanch the other day and it was utter carnage. If paid parking was introduced there and it helped with the traffic situaton it would be a good thing. But paid parking has to help resolve traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Paid parking unless it's sky high won't make much different to traffic. Especially not Blanch.

Shopping centers need to be built in the middle of nowhere their traffic isn't always in conflict with local traffic.

They built both these centers where there's a load of local traffic has to pass through them to get in and out of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭patmahe

I was never a fan of Liffey Valley, but one of the perks of it was the free parking. The thought of paying for that level of stress and inconvenience wouldn't encourage me to go, wasting time in a place that's packed and expensive sounds like hell to me.

That said I did once go there on a Monday morning at about 11.am and had a very pleasant couple of hours casually browsing and picking up a few bits because it was nearly empty, its fine when its not wedged, but I don't get in at those times generally. Either way the idea of paying to park and go in and spend my money irks me a bit so I won't be going for the foreseeable future unless there's something I need from there that I can't get anywhere else.

I think their attendance doesn't mean they agreed with the charges. Some may be stuck using them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There were no bouncers there forcing people into the car parks. Everyone appears to have driven in willingly!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

People need their head checked if €2.50 parking is an issue. As I already said the alternative is walking, cycling or getting the equally expensive bus which nobody wants to do. People need to accept it and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lucan123

They will keep gouging as much as they can - it's only a matter of time before it becomes €3.50 due to supply chain issues or what not, then they will "Simplify" it to €3.50 per hour "for our convenience".

What is the maximum you are willing to pay because that's what they are aiming for? It might only be €2.50 now but if people don't kick up it will just keep rising to that maximum. People need to stop just accepting it.

The alternatives are not limited to walking, cycling or bus as you said... there's Blanchardstown, Online which can be cheaper than €2.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The problem is that “kicking up” seems limited to moaning about it online. If people avoid it, good for them but it’s not a big deal for most people and all the “outrage” appears to be just people who don’t go there anyway and want to complain about another thing

FWIW was there myself earlier for first time in a long while. Place was busy enough. Plenty of parking down by M&S and no hassle getting in or out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I avoid the place as much as possible these days, the traffic to get there is a nightmare unless you go early.

I was for a run over that way on the first Sat afternoon of Dec, couldn't believe how quiet the car park was a for a sat day, traffic outside it was a disgrace.

The foot fall is definitely down, but is that down to the cost of living in general? I know the owner of one shop and the manager of a restaurant there, both said business was down by 30% or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭tjhook

If I was planning to buy something specific, the parking charge would be a minor annoyance. Not the end of the world.

What has changed for me is that I no longer "pop in" if I'm in the area. Previously I would have popped in and bought stuff in M&S/Easons as I was passing. The odd time maybe something in a clothes shop if it caught my eye.

That's what's changed for me anyway. I imagine some stores will be unaffected, but others will suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yeah I'm the same, i used to regularly pop in bit have only gone there once since you had to pay for parking.

However, another thing I've noticed is how badly laid out the lanes are that have been redeveloped. They're really badly designed. You end up constantly having to switch from one lane to another when you're approaching roundabout, there's no real "flow" to them. Also, that new T-junction that replaced the roundabout is dreadful. The lines of vision aren't great and it's actually tricky to go around the corner at anything but a crawl or you'll drift into the neighbouring lane or bump the curve. As a result, everyone crawls through the junction and feck all cars get through on each lights sequence. 🤷

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭emo72

That's it basically, the just popping by is gone.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I have to say, Liffey valley is empty. I've lived in the area for close to 20 years and usually Christmas time would be madness. Gardai would be moving traffic etc. None of it this year. Don't know because of paid parking, or just more online shopping.

One of my cars I can't use in the car park as it doesn't read the number plate. A little annoying. But there are some other points:

- Ample parking around the area (M&S end). No random parking on paths as is usual around Christmas.

- They need to fix the lane signage. Two lanes still being forced into one lane. It's gone from 2 lanes and a roundabout to 2 lanes to 1 lane. Bit weird.

- Free parking if going to the cinema. Just ask for the voucher.

- Had to exchnage something yesterday. In and out within about 15 minutes. No charge for parking. Seems like there is an un-advertised grace period.

- People don't know how to park. About 10-15% of the spaces have people at bizarre angles, unable to park straight .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭This is it

I think 15 minutes is a required/standard grace period in car parks to allow for the possibility of them being full, obviously you shouldn't have to pay if you've gone into a car park and it's full so you've to leave again. Handy if like you, you can get in and out within the 15 minutes.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Yep. However I know originally there was suggestion there was no grace period!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sounds like a good thing overall then.

Disclaimer: I live within walking distance of Liffey Valley so for the most part the changes don't affect me. If I want to pick up something small I'll just walk/cycle over. If I'm buying something that I can't carry on the bike, then usually that's something I'm buying from somewhere in the retail parks which still have free parking. But generally speaking, I'd prefer the thought of paying 2.50 and being in/out without fuss to the thought of spending an hour stuck in traffic. Kind of like paying the M50 toll rather than doing the big diversion through Chapelizod or Lucan. That said, I can see how it'd be annoying off-peak.

Advertisement