Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,469 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Yes honest question because I am amazed by the continuous use of the statement

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Yes withdraw them. Handing cheap or free money at say 30% for example of the total cost increases the value by that amount or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭cal naughton

Loan to income limits going from 3.5 times to 4.0 is propping up the market. It's increasing the spending power of buyers thus keeping prices higher .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭jj880

- Pitiful government numbers for building social housing

- very favourable tax arrangements for REITs - unnecessary competition for citizens.

- fiddling HAP rates upwards (Ive nothing against these supports but if government would get their act together on other issues pushing rates up might not be required)

- Councils buying up properties instead of building - more unnecessary competition for citizens

- yes the FTB supports. Terrible move but will keep prices rising and give developers some nice extra cash which is what the landlord TDs want

- government keeping a pathetic puppet of a housing minister in office who will keep prices moving upwards.

- government (sorry my mistake the central bank fiddling lending rules)

Im sure Ive missed loads

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

Lecturer 'above the bar' starts close to that 68k, many hires now would start above the bar. Be hard to hire anyone with a PhD in Dublin for less than that.

https://www.tcd.ie/hr/assets/pdf/monthly-academic.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,555 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Salary scales are not relevant here. I increasingly see little point to this thread other than for people evading the rules and warnings on the main Property Market thread and may just close it

The UK is 4.5 generally accross Europe it in the 4+ range. We were exceptionally low.

Government is an inefficient builder of houses. As we decided to try to stop building the gettos similar to Moyross, Knocknaheny parts of Tallagh etc. The decision was for integrated housing estates. E en if government build houses they compete within the same labour market....they add in there building inefficiency as well so you would have less houses.

I pointed out the issue with REITs when they were first proposed nearly ten years ago that they would be higher cost and need tax breaks to be competitive.

HAP rates have not actually increased since 2016 I think. The only change that has happened is that people renting using HAP can make a larger contribution themselves. As well a single person renting a NEW single occupied unit was put on the couple rate. But the rates were not increased for sitting tenant's

Councils building would be highly inefficient and again we are drawing from the same labour force. If we have the capibility to build 25k units using private builder/developers if the councils build 5k then private builders willbonly manage 18k due to availability of labour

FTB supports are limited to FTB it helps encourage builders to build smaller 2,3, or 4 bed units for these buyers. If it disappears builder will probably move to building larger units for the movers uppers market it probably going to reduce unit number supply. While it marginally effects the market it not as significant as many think.

No minister is going to solve the housing crisis. The reality is we need 50k units a year for 5 years we can barely manage the high twenties.

Whether we like it or not houses ate expensive to build. You add to that in Dublin only about 50% of the labour involved in build lives in Dublin. The rest travel in and out every day and that costs. I can actually see a situation where house building slows in Dublin but accelerates in the commuter areas

Slava Ukrainii

Possible or not there most definitely is no will from the government to solve it. Thats how it looks. Politics in this country seems to consist of kicking the mess down the road for someone else to fix while you disappear with your generous pension(s). So we're left with maybe some day they run out of borrowing power keep this farce going or it all blows up somehow and corrects. Excellent.

So how would you build 50k houses a year when capacity is a bit with 25k+

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

• Advertisement

Ive outlined policies that are adding to the crisis - sorting those and seeing prices/costs come down would be a start. Then see where we are.

Anyway you say its impossible. I say theres no will to do it. Whats the difference in terms of results. I think its disingenuous to ask an extreme question like how do we build 50k houses per year. We're heading for the rocks again due to no accountability on government policy. Its years in the making.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,021 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Stories about a house in Canada that was sold for 1.3m more than it was bought for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Summer2020

And yet again once I saw the first two words of this post I knew the username without even checking. The most anti public sector poster on boards. I reckon a Garda or teacher ran off with your missus. Only thing that would explain your 10 year plus campaign of bitterness

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Probably a nurse ran off with his missus bigger problem 🤣🤣

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Allow construction workers in from outside the EU for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Timing belt

it implies that most home owners will have decent equity in their houses so unlikely to have negative equity and walk away from it and generating a crisis like in ‘08

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Public sector is a retirement home, (excluding healthcare) where dreams go to die. Many in the private sector would love to get similar salaries and benefits but it requires surrendering ones agency and hope of ever achieving anything. That's why many private sector resent public sector but are unwilling to go to public sector.

Back to property please.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,378 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's not relevant for the thread so I don't want to get into it. But just to let you know that your misunderstanding of a merit bar is well off. You can google it. If you want to know more start a thread over on the teaching/lecturing forum and I can explain it to you there if I see it.

• Advertisement

Its not an extreme question. It the only question. The answer is we cannot. If we physically cannot get to that number or within an asses roar of of it then the next most important thing is to get as much build as possible.

But there is a theory by some here that a massive reset will solve the problem. The reality is it will only make things worse. The most important thing is to keep building houses.

There is already an indication that there is a potential slowdown in house building. That will be a disaster. The biggest problem is we are building BMW's when people want Toyota's and VW's and some would be happy with a Fiat.

Carbon tax is adding to building costs every year and will continue to not just directly in price of concrete but also on the fuel tradespeople get to work in, or in the building supplies that have to be delivered.

Dublin has a peculiar problem it's similar to every major capital city, a shortage of building workers. They will only go to work there as long as they get a premium over working nearer home. If you can solve that problem you are an economic genius.

But thinking that removing HTB will reduce new houses by 30k it give FTB is deluded or that 4X loans are the issue. If the council's build houses rather than buying them there will be less supply not more. HAP has not materially changed since 2016 there is just more people availing of it.

There is no silver bullet, there is Lone Ranger riding to the rescue. Government can do very little except try to keep houses being build.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Ive an apartment ready to sell. All advice I have got is to put it on the market in March. We were worried about some new legislation appearing to stop us selling it, but we have decided to wait til the end of Feb to put it one the market as most buyers take a break from looking for Nov, Dec and Jan and Feb. I know we did too when we were looking to buy. Its just not a good time to be trying to find somewhere to live. Supply is down, its dark when you get off work to go looking, everything just looks depressing anyway etc. Its just a miserable time to be traipsing around looking at houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I think at this point the attitude of the government is. Lets just pretend we are doing something here. No point in improving the situation only for SF to come in ion a couple of years and benefit form any progress that we do make. So lets make things as bad as possible for them when they do get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭fliball123

That is not entirely true. The gov are both buying and renting properties so actively competing with anyone working and doing things the right way forcing prices up and also giving HAP along with the supports for FTBs this puts a floor under the market. This does not even bring into the equation the lending rules it was blatant this year at a time of higher interest rates and every other cost of living factor going up higher that they upped this to 4 times the salary. The question you should be asking is why now? The obvious answer is its to allow FTBs more debt to buy which is the wrong approach. If we withdrew all supports it would be political suicide but, both rent and property prices would drop.

I wonder if someone clever there is also factoring in the increase in blocks for new builds which will cause the construction costs to go up and will probably increase property prices with the levy coming in shortly after March (I think). I would be wary of taking any ones advice to be honest. Prices for housing like most other aspects of life is just too expensive now and a lot of people that were on the demand side will be leaving for pastures new. The amount of people who I work with and would yap to on a constant basis point to their holiers in Spain where they can get cheaper food and beer and accommodation and when they are back in Ireland the lot is unaffordable. Good luck with what ever you do. If it was my place I would have it up ASAP.

The 4X lending rules is on the lower side of mortgage lending rules across Europe. 3.5X was the lowest in Europe and I think it for only used elsewhere for certain borrower's ( expats). The UK is 4.5.

I will repeat again because people seem to not understand, HAP has NOT INCREASED since 2016 except for minor tweaks. If HAP is withdrawn we would see mass evictions so no political party will do that

Pulling supports such as HTB is more likely to cause builders to reduce output than it is to reduce prices. If you think that risk is acceptable then so be it. However I would be reluctant to.

It took us until 2016 to restart building, it to 6 years to get from 6-7k units a year to 25k. If supply cranks down will it crank up again.

Slava Ukrainii

The lending rules are on the lower side, yet the question still has to be asked why this decision was made when it was made. They could of done it 4/5 years ago and to do it at a time of such high inflation and such a limited supply of housing is IMO very tactically from the powers that be.. Even if HAP has not increased its still a large wedge of cash that someone has to put towards rent if that was taken away tomorrow then rent prices would have to readjust but I agree no political party would do it as pointed out it would be political suicide. With regards to pulling the HTB we really need these modular homes coming on stream and quickly to quell demand and anyone who is on HAP and looking for social housing should be housed in one of these and then the reliance on builders building is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,378 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

As regards lending limits, one would not expect that the same multiplier would be appropriate for every country. There will be different taxes and living expenses and laws in each jurisdiction. Other countries might not, as happened here, change or relax rules in order to protect non-paying mortgage holders and prevent firesales from bottoming out the market in a more disorderly manner.

It is likely that in other countries you won't be seeing current cases in the courts about people being allowed to keep their houses that they stopped paying for 12 or 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

You're scaremongering. You wouldn't see mass evictions as evictions are banned and such a ban could be extended. Given 40% of tenants receive some form of HAP support most would either have to accept the reduction or have their property lie empty

• Advertisement

No I am not if government stopped or reduced HAP by 20-50% a lot of HAP tenants would be unable to pay there rent.

Non payment of rent is a reason for eviction during this eviction ban. As people would be evicted with present climate and LL's wanting to exit the business then evictions would be whole sale

Slava Ukrainii

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement