Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Nobody cares about Covid anymore"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

What issue do you think that would have caused, if indeed that were the case ? You think people are dying from being vaccinated , do you ?

Interested to hear your reply ...or The Truth as you call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

You mentioned vaccines not me. Do you think it's the vaccines ?

You did mention people lining up for the vaccines ..I was replying to your post in context, not taking a line out in isolation .

Nope ...do you think it's Covid ? Thought you said you are not worried about it anymore?

There are plenty of sources of information about Florida's handling of the pandemic. Are you denying that their approach happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭patnor1011

And how exactly was that policy different from one we implemented here? When we emptied hospitals and shipped all elderly to the nursing houses where they just died alone simply because they could not get adequate level of care they could get in hospitals? In that first appalling year.

In Sweden they at least had a comfort of being with the family in their last moments we interned our elderly like prisoners refusing any contact so they died alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

It was scary how countries like this could resort to measures such as 2/5 km rules .... pure dictatorship was what it was and not a proper response to a pandemic by any stretch of the imagination .... it came from the Chinese government post-1989 playbook to deal with pro-democracy protests ... copied from the 1980/81/82 version in military era Poland .... China used their template for a pandemic and then ..... all supposed democracies copied this ...

I remember it well ... government v health officials blaming each other/disowning the oppression created .... dumping the 'necessity' of it on the other side! Only it was never 'necessary' .... let's review these 'classics' [from earlier post .. cannot find it now]:

1 (contact tracing/avoiding lockdowns) would have been ok should it have been done at the very start ... nothing at all was done except lockdowns and this country along with many relied on them alone for most of the first year .... 27th March 2020 will go down in history as one of the darkest days in modern Irish history ... the day when the government decided of a sudden to use dictatorship ...

2 (pubs would remain closed if retail opened) .... a lot of the lingering affects of those dark times continue to this day ... many pubs remain closed ... many shops never opened ... some hotels have not opened ... and then you have this mad war in Ukraine because hardliners posed a coup during Russia's Covid period clearly ... and then greedy big business overcharging to make up for lost ground.

3 .... Zero Covid pre vaccine was done well by some such as South Korea and Iceland ... without the same level of OTT lockdowns and 2/5 KM rules we had here .... but proper zero Covid policy was not compatible with the panic reaction of those in power here .... those here did not know how to use minor restrictions properly or when to stop using restrictions either ...

4 (handshakes) .... admittedly I still use Covid as an excuse here !!! I have now just recovered from a bout of mild Covid and will say I have had it in the near future when I do not want to be shaking hands with individuals in pubs who have just come out of the toilet and the like ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

We need to learn from this pandemic.

Early reactions out of fear were understandable but the endless lockdowns and the damage inflicted worldwide has been immense.

While in the west, the labtop class ( myself included) bemoaned supply chain issues and costs escalating this drove millions of people in the poorest parts of the world into poverty. Poverty equals increased death and disease.

Example below but there is endless examples

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0019570720300755

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

People with COVID symptoms would also be advised not to get vaccinated, not because of any danger but because the vaccine wouldn't be necessary (and many people will get the flu vaccine anyway). But good to see what the grift sites are pushing to their followers, it's like having a canary for misinformation.

Consider yourself educated on this, try not to get too huffy this time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Well its unlikely to kill you. Lots of folks get pretty ill from it. I got it twice in five months, second time was the worst , knocked out for a week. Very inconvenient and annoying. Its highly transmissible and on top of influenza its a right pain.

Its not over as a serious illness. BESIDEs lots of elderly folks still die from it.

+1 ... exactly ...

We need to learn as right ... in Ireland we went through ...

February 29th-March 12th ... life as normal.

March 12th-March 27th ... minor to moderate restrictions.

March 27th-June 29th ... lockdown.

June 30th-October .... level 2 restrictions mostly ... almost normal life.

This level 2 period is where things should have been done better ... more contact tracing, more research into the nature of the virus, etc. ... instead it was:

October-December ... back into lockdown then briefly out of lockdown to level 3 restrictions ...

December 2020-May 2021 ... Level 5 lockdown.

May-July ... level 3 then level 2.

August-January 2022 ... level 1 then level 2 and level 3 type restrictions.

February 2022 ... level 2 and then 1 ....

After that ... normality more or less .....

Now it is a sad legacy really .... the early period was panic and media overkill .... very fearmongering no concrete analysis of the virus ... lockdowns should have halted during that initial period ....

Ireland spent 10 months in severe level 5 type lockdown ... some sectors were closed for 2 years ... the supply chain issues, the rise of the far right faction of the Russian government, the subsequent war in Ukraine, etc. are all to do with long lockdowns ... these events as you point out have caused high prices and poverty ... on a positive note perhaps the Covid response ended Trump's tenure in office ...

Things that struck me most were the make it up as you go approach here ... one minute lockdown is ruled out, next it is announced ... then NPHET say masks have no role ... contradict a Czech medical profession (the Czech Republic was a country with far less stringent restrictions than Ireland with better Covid number as of April/May 2020) ... before finally saying masks were an option ...I did not like how willing everyone both on the NPHET side and govt side were to impose the worst forms of lockdown .. dubbed level 5 ... especially when it was done a 2nd and 3rd time ...

The next pandemic needs to be handled with respect to people's freedoms balanced with public health ... we could learn from what other countries did rather than copying China whose people have now revolted over near 3 years on and off lockdowns ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I haven't read the whole thread (probably heard it all before) but I do think our government and many other governments made massive and frequent mistakes. Communications were a shambles to be honest. Also allowing Scare Byrne so much airtime was #1 😂. There are certainly lessons to be learned - positive ones too. We got lucky too - Omicron saved us but a milder version was always predicted.

However I am curious about these excess deaths you refer to - have you any details on that?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Ah thanks Astro, free education. You see we're all learning as we go along. It's good that we're back on track again.

I won't get huffy I promise. That was just a little blip. Myself and yourself have an understanding. We can have it out and move along.

What's a grift site bud ?

I'm not at privy to go down a rabbit hole about excess deaths. But I lost 5 young friends in the last year from sepsis, clotting and heart attacks all under 50. A few people I know have raised platelets thrombocythemia it's called.

Nobody seems to know what's causing the thrombocythemia, these are generally healthy people.

@Goldengirl suggested maybe it could be the vaccines. But I'm not at liberty to suggest that. She's more up to date on these things.

Mattie McGrath brought up excess deaths there recently, but nobody flinched.

Is there a correlation with something else ? there could be. But I'm unqualified and not going down the route of suggesting otherwise. I'm not a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

What demographic would typically vote Republican? You guessed it, the older demographic.

Who denied Covid? What people did was react differently to Covid, no one denied Covid, what an absurd thing to say? I've no doubt you'll find some lone lunatic who does, but the vast majority of the community reacted to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Seriously???(are you trying to act like you are shocked). Gript is an Irish media outlet, it was the only one I could find that covered it.

Likewise, you'll do well to find an article on the collatoral damage of lock downs for some reason, so people only compare death rates and don't look beyond the surface data they are presented with...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Hindsight is to be used to move forward and do things better not beat someone with a stick for what they did in the past. It's the old saying those who don't learn from history are going to repeat it

What's the difference of with or bt Covid. If you had covid and it hastened your death (even by days) do you think it should not be reported. No they were going to die anyway is not an excuse as we are all going to die someday. Its not like someone who was killed from falling out a window or a car accident were put down as Covid death. Every country were counting both. The rest I agree witb

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

Hindsight should be used to move forward. But that doesn't mean it can't also be used to hold people who made bad decisions to account.

• Advertisement

But this is there partner we are talking. Very unlikely that they were not living together for the pregnancy no if the person was going to get ill from the father they would have already no?

By all means test them and ask them to isolate so they can be with there partner but the tuffing them out for a birth was not right IMO. Same if someone was getting results in hospital or someone was about to die

• Registered Users Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So your attempt at refuting my points about covid and cancer, is to reference flu. A disease which is less severe and less infectious than covid. We don't treat the flu like covid. So how this refutes what I said about the nature of the threat covid represented is anybody's guess.

And if I said that, you should be able to link the post where I said it. So go ahead. Otherwise we can draw our own conclusions about the intellectual honesty of your argument.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Of course not but if youe holding them to account its something they know and should have done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

If you use an inquiry to criticise people who did their best when we were in a crisis and evidence was changing all the time, then the next time the default approach will be an excess of caution. It'll be like doctors in US referring all patients to hospital in case they are subject to a medical negligence claim. By all means see what we can learn but I feel our officials did their best in an enormous crisis and criticism in hindsight gets us nowhere.

Well I feel differently.

There was clear evidence that officials, both here and globally, were not abiding by rules that they were imposing.

I think it is important to ensure that officials are criticised for bad decisions or hypocrisy.

The next default approach will be to not listen to any "official" instructions because they cannot be trusted. Would you trust the government line without question if god forbid there was another "outbreak"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

Certainly criticise for hypocrisy, if you know of any, but decisions you now label bad were almost certainly taken in good faith given a constantly evolving situation.

I asked you first ...

I see you are twisting away there trying to falsely say that I said it was vaccines ..

I asked you to state your opinion about your statement about young people dying , which by the way you have no proof nor data to back that up, just dubious statement about " 5 young friends who died " .

( Btw I note nobody else has sympathised with you , strange that , nor do I remember you mentioning these losses before , but if it is true, it's a massive loss to you and your friend group and very sad indeed

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Advertisement

Very different reactions though .

We did send them back to nursing homes infected in the first weeks but that was stopped thereafter . It was a terrible mistake and caused most of our early deaths . You are right, it should never have happened and so many of us have said this all along. We learned from it and it didn't happen again .

But that does absolve Sweden from their grim policy for most of that first year . It was only changed after a public outcry and the powers that be there were happy to go along with it because it kept their hospital and ICU numbers lower.

Either case is bad, I don't deny .

Advertisement