Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Before we all go scaremongering about reps and engineers and other professionals not being able to do their job in an electric car because the fast charging network is not up to speed, how many km per day do they do? Many EVs now have a realistic range of 400km, by 2030 that will very easily be 600-700km (some higher end EVs can already do that today)

How many cars regularly drive more than 700km in Ireland in a day purely for work? Must be a tiny, tiny minority of cars. And even today, they will likely have to stop to fill up with diesel on that day (or the next day) and take a leak and get a bite to eat. By 2030 they will have to do make that same stop, but then to fill up with electrons rather than diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

For anyone wondering about what will happen to petrol stations then I would take a look below

Probably one of the oldest petrol stations in Europe has converted to a charging hub, 6x 300kW chargers with 2 plugs each

Walk around video

So there'll be fuel providers that see which way the wind is blowing, and then there'll be the ones that go out of business

Over here, I'd say Applegreen is leading the way, Circle K is talking big but has yet to actually deploy any chargers.

Maxol is moaning about grid costs but installing a few hubs

Meanwhile Texaco and Certa apparently think the future is fracking or something. They're probably waiting for gaslight to make a big comeback 😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

As is the case for private motorists, and even more so for businesses, the switchover to EVs will gain momentum when manufacturers produce a sufficient appropriate vehicles and it makes financial sense to do so. For the most part it already makes financial sense to switch but supply of suitable vehicles is a key factor in hampering the further roll out of EVs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭traco

I know some easily doing 2-300km one way for a morning start and then onsite, may leave and head to another location, stay in a hotel and repeat. Sales guys do same or more and since the motorway network will try and head home rather than hotels. Many of the standard hotels don't have charging from what I see.

BTW, I'm only asking the question. I don't know how many guys are on the road but we have some and my competitors do also. Lots of small van couriers shttling stuff around the country also for emergency spare parts etc. There is still a resonable amount of manufacturing in the country all with capital equipment that needs maintaining, repairs, servicing etc.

I suppose what I am saying badly is that this sector is the high miler high polluter and would have a more significant impact if they could shift to EV than Mr Murphy who has a 15km commute to work yet there doesn't seem a plan to get fast DC charging everywhere, its a bit like the national broadband plan if you could even call it a plan.

Agree with the high miler polluter sector! One of the reasons it is absurd that companies can get the VAT back on diesel, but not on petrol

Anyway, is the ICE ban on new cars from 2030 also applicable to vans / trucks? I thought not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

It would be remarkably easy to swing majority of new car orders to EV overnight if there was political will. Double the VRT for cars emitting over say 10 gCO2/km every year from now on. Increase the motor tax rates for any new non-low emissions registrations every year (but keep the current rates intact for now). Remove VRT from vehicles between 0 and 9 gCO2/km. The latter would allow selling hybrids with very large batteries for people who genuinely need drive long distances in the areas without public charging. But it would very quickly stop sales of legacy vehicles to stop the consumer doing the wrong thing and buying a car with no future resale value.

Do VLTP emissions testing from cold with cabin temperatire set to 21'C to ensure the single digit CO2 vehicles actually work as as EVs for shorter trips without the engine kicking in for heating.

Ireland is such a small market that every manufacturer that wanted to continue selling vehicles here would just have to divert EVs here or cease to trade. Think Norway as the role model. Above would mean that the price parity of EVs and ICE would happen overnight. Instead of new ICE sales concentrate on after sales as it would be better to maintain the current ICE fleet and not to spend any more resources building soon to be obsolete cars.

All of the above would, of course, be shot down by lobbyists influencing the weak government. Why do you think we have that 231-reg nonsense?

Don't know about vans but might impact avaialbility of the small car based vans - thise were really only a BIK loop hole job to me any way.

The commercial car user market, ex lease if managed right could be used to create a decent used supply for private buyers. Commercial use is the ideal feeder system as more expensive EV will not cost more per month in total running costs even with Ionity charging costs when everything is worked out over three years.

The BIK changes mighy speed to process up but for high milers the changes don't impact much. The charging though is critcal as people just want to get home after a long day. I hear what you are saying but the ICE reality is that the stop, fill, WC, coffee, sambo and on the road. 15 mins and if they have the fuel and don't need the WC they drive on.

They current plans just seem to missing a trick - they need a bit of if you build it they will come thinking and not if they come we might build it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

I would also be in favour of a more rapid changeover to EV from ICE. However we do need to recognise that not everybody can afford a new car and while the TCO might make sense, there are a lot of people living month to month in Ireland and who aren't in a financial position to buy with either new or 2nd hand EV. There are probably many who could, if they had assistance in arranging finance.

We have to be mindful of the law of unintended consequences. Constraining the number of new ICEs being sold while there is a less than adequate supply of new EVs will lead to a reduction in the supply and in increase in price of 2nd hand ICEs. I would also be wary of making comparisons to Norway. Besides being an awfully boring place to live :), they are a petro-state with huge financial resources and a difficult model to follow even for well-off Ireland.

Post edited by josip on

There's already electric vans and trucks available, and some hydrogen trucks for longer distances. If commercial vehicles aren't included in the 2030 ban then I imagine they will be soon, or they won't be far behind

@josip - nobody is forced to buy any new EVs from 2030 onwards. People have until 2046 to switch over. By then a second hand early Leaf will probably cost about €500 and have 3km range left 😂 Fully charge from your solar PV panels for free in no more than 5 minutes 🤣

• Advertisement

Well I imagine they'll stop for a charge, same as they do now with fuel

We're seeing the tipping point now that commercial operators are seeing they can make money from EV charging. I would say what we've seen from Applegreen in the last 6 months has trumped what ESB have done in the past 3 years

Your travelling salesman or sole trader will pop out at lunch (or send the apprentice) to charge the van and grab breakfast rolls and coffees for everyone

It's not bad if the second hand ICE goes up in price, it will give incentive to keep them in good repair and the local businesses happy. Keep your current car until you're ready to go for the EV.

To me it doesn't make any sense adding more new ICE on the road in 2023 instead. The new EVs on the other hand will become second hand EVs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There a number of companies moving from ICE vans, all our local An Post are EV since last year, the local DPD vans (big guys) are also EVs and TI buses are being moved to electric at present. Local delivery vans are not an issue, big trucks etc we are YEARS away from transitioning

Fully electric bus fleet in Athlone by end of 2022 | Westmeath Independent

Athlone company shortlisted for prestigious Green Award | Westmeath Independent

NTA Signs Framework Agreement for up to 200 Fully Electric Buses - National Transport

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Big trucks are years away? Tesla truck can do the guts of 1000km on one charge if sticking to EU speed limits, does any truck ever do that sort of mileage this country? If so, probably only a tiny, tiny minority.

I might be wrong but to me there seems to be a slight whiff of I'm alright Jack off this and let those for whom new EVs don't work eat cake. Possibly a utopian sentiment given the view expressed in last para

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

and when will the like of them hit Irish roads??....years away

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I have two elderly ICE motorcycles and not in a million year would I buy a new one now. They are dead technology as far as I am concerned. For cars we have been EV since 2015, we have bought 4 in total of which 3 new. And i don't think it would be a good idea to buy a new ICE in 2023.

What i suggested is that the government policies should steer people not to buy any more new ICE from 2023. Tax the new purchases so that it becomes better to keep your old one on the road or to buy an EV instead. Any new EV will become an used EV while any new ICE will become a liability and will force somebody to buy it second hand in the future as opposed to a second hand 2023 EV.

Yeah unfortunately the Tesla truck isn't really suitable for European roads. The cab over engine style is popular here to fit the max trailer size in

I guess it's cab over battery for an electric truck 🤔

Looks like Volvo have got some customers for their electric trucks

Range is somewhat less at 300km but as you say, how much do they realistically need

The big question is around load, they're rated up to 44 tonnes gross weight, but there's an open question as to how much of that can be payload

I think some of the EU manufacturerers may be supplying europe already. HGV drivers have regulated drving hours so in theory they could work well but on road charging is important.

Applications where the vehicle is back to base each night and can be fully charged for the morning they make perfect sense especially if covering a local area as kms covered isn't a problem. They are ideal fo An Post, Amazon, local couriers covering set routes etc.

The downside is that the E-Transits L3 H3 payload is down 400kg over the equivalent ICE which could be a consideration for some users. I guess trucks may suffer similar in terms of load capacity, it will be an issue for some but not others.

No doubt an electric truck weighs more than 2 tonnes extra than a diesel truck is allowed over there, maybe add another 2 tonnes that is taken from max payload for a long range one? Anyway I'd say the fuel saving alone is well worth the 5% or so less payload. And I reckon more often than not a truck is not loaded above 95% of its max payload anyway, in which case it makes no difference. This is hugely disruptive, even more so than cars as the decision to by a truck is purely rational and based on cost. Not based on all sorts of irrational things like in people buying cars because liking things of the olden days they are used to, people buying certain brands out of habit, brand loyalty, etc.

• Advertisement

Volvo are already supplying HGVs and other trucks to EU market

Mercedes definitely have a medium truck, might have a HGV ready to roll as well

Traton group also have medium trucks available and HGVs in the works

I think the biggest problem is how tight lipped all the manufacturers including Tesla are being about payload

I haven't been able to find it written down anywhere for any HGVs

I saw some YouTube genius work out the Tesla semi had a max payload of 6 tonnes which is apparently half what a typical HGV will carry

I definitely agree a bit of a reduction is worthwhile for the fuel savings, but of its a 50% drop in payload then it might make some buyers think twice

I think I saw an electric Daf at their sales location on the Naas road but could be wrong.

But where does that leave the car owners whose used ices are at end of life and need to upgrade?

End of life is a debatable point. It would generally be when the cosy of servicing a car is more than the cost of replacement

What we've seen with used car prices going up is that those older cars are being kept going longer because it isn't economical to replace them

So it isn't like those cars are going to suddenly disappear in 2030. The only thing that changes is that you can't buy a new ICE

Personally I'd much prefer everyone switched over to EVs now but that isn't realistic

Grand but what your saying is that someone driving an old knackered ICE must just keep driving it until they can afford a new or used EV. At this point new EVs are in very short supply and used EVs are way over priced due to lack of supply.

I would agree with your last paragraph but I would add in 'In a ideal world'

They're already doing that because there's a shortage of second hand ICE Shortages of EVs won't last forever, and there's already signs of prices tapering off in the future

I'm not really getting your point, all the EVs sold today will be 8 years old by 2030 and presumably will have lost a lot of value

And like I said, ICE ownership isn't being banned in 2030, there'll still be second hand cars for people to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

Surely the elephant in the room for private EV ownership is charging. It's a hard slog if you don't own your own house with a driveway. Giving the housing crisis in Ireland, surely apartments and high density housing in cities is the future. What do you do if you live upstairs in a duplex or apartment block?

I keep half an eye on some YouTube channels and the UK councils seem to be making great strides in rolling out 'neighbourhood' charging points along residential streets and in lamp posts. Some even allow digging a small trench from your house to the kerbside for your charging cable. "Build it and they will come" (with their new EV's) seems to be their attitude. We're doing the exact opposite in Ireland.

And just to make a small point about commercial EVs mentioned above. My brother travels the country doing crazy miles in a diesel min-van. He works with large multi-nationals on equipment worth millions of euro. He would be out of business by the end of the week if he started turning up 2 or 3 hours late because he had to stop and use the only AC charger in the local town/village. He (and most other travelling businesses) need to know with absolute confidence that they can travel from A to B without any obstacles. I would suggest they need real HPC hubs dotted along the motorways etc in Ireland.

So I disagree that apartment blocks and denser housing are the future

They SHOULD be the future for cities like Dublin but realistically it'll never happen outside the direct city centre because Irish property taxes incentivise higher value properties, and people in Ireland have some psychotic obsession with low density housing

Anyway, assuming some sudden reversal of attitudes, then it's definitely going to be a bit of an issue

I suppose it's worth keeping in mind that if the government is really serious about providing decent public transport and reducing the need for cars then the demand for chargers in apartments won't be as big

Frankly there needs to be some stick applied to force the provision of chargers

I suspect a levy on councils and management companies that fail to provide chargers would be pretty effective

The technology to provide decent public charging is readily available, there's just a complete lack of leadership or direction in that area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Would most of these multinationals not have banks of chargers? The last 4 I've worked all do. There are DC chargers on most motorways already, obviously more are needed though.

There are grants (recent development) for apartment blocks etc to install chargers. It's only a plug at the end of the day shouldn't be as complicated as we make it. Bit of joined up thinking needed for residents in built up areas with on strett parking only, e.g. chargers in local shops, church car parks, parks or any other car parks that are normally empty overnight etc .. for overnight charging. For urban dwellers most of them would only need to charge once a week or so.

• Advertisement

Let's see what 2030 brings in terms of an improved supply of EVs across the full range of car / van categories. It may well be the case that supply issues will be resolved and it will be possible to buy a new EV, other than a Tesla, within a reasonable period of time.

It may also be the case that the public charging infrastructure will be significantly improved so that EVs will work for everyone especially people doing serious distances or who do not have access to home charging.

However, one thing for sure we are not currently in a position to implement measures to stop people buying ICEs. Looking forward to witnessing how well the phased transition to new EVs only will progress over the next 7 years.

Advertisement