Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outside LED Security Light

Options
  • 22-12-2022 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭

Good morning all

I’m going to fit an outside LED security light and should be able to bring it back to the consumer unit so should I just connect into the lighting trip or fit a separate dedicated 6 amp one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

I know you don’t want to hear this but only a rec is permitted to work on a distribution board

if a rec is doing this then it should be

rcd protected (rcbo will do)

have an isolator fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Is that an isolator per light fitting, @meercat? I'm just interested as my external lights were fitted by a fool using T&E right out to the stupid connection box at the back of the PIR (like with 2ft of T&E in plain sun-light). I rewired the last 2m with pondflex (UV safe) from a junction-box within the attic but didn't install an isolator.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

An isolator is no harm if they're on an RCBO to isolate a trip but don't think there's any requirement for it

A light switch or a key switch I'd use to control it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭pavb2

I was going to go back to the consumer unit as it seemed the safer option and i didn’t want to try and break into a light circuit using additional connections and a junction box. I’ll have to look at this again.

I’d replied to the op to install an isolator for the sensor light. This could in fact be a switch. For outside lights I’d prefer a double pole switch in case moisture ingress causes the rcbo to trip.one isolator (switch) could do numerous outside lights though

• Advertisement

If new cables are being installed by a rec then they have to be rcd protected to conform to current regulations

the work you describe is considered as minor works though and can be performed by any competent person (I know this is conflicting information.A rec has to abide to stricter regulations) once they don’t go near the distribution board

if there is live,neutral and earth cables at an existing switch then the simplest way to do this is to run the new cable to this point and change that switch to accommodate another light.

Advertisement