Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

This ^^^^

Nobody has more of a "right" to a charger, it's first come first served. There's no obligation to move on if you're paying for the service

The overstay fee is there to stop people abusing it, but they're flawed in their current form and need to be updated

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I'd swear EV owners won't be happy until DC charging costs €2/kWh with a €5/min overstay fee 😁.

Where's the incentive for a provider to spend more on extra chargers & infrastructure? What's wrong with having a single charger, in high demand, with high utilisation & consequently, high profitability?

Private companies remember, in business to maximise profit.

Not a public service provider & no responsibility to ensure Jacinta has minimal waiting time by spending loads more €€€s on a ultra high speed, multi charger hub.

It's absolutely fascinating how people, EV drivers, will argue with other EV drivers & demand more charges for themselves & punishment for other EV drivers, because private companies want to maximise profits & government do nothing.

Public charging (AC & DC) is now prohibitively expensive & very few people will sit on a charger paying close to €1/kWh, unnecessarily.

Petrol & diesel costs have come down significantly recently while public charging has increased 2x or 3x, yet no pushback by EV drivers, save for calling for more charges to punish those with bigger batteries who may need to stay over 45 minutes (& pay for it!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I fear the only pushback, will be the mob descending upon you for talking sense.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Anyone got any dodgy kissing photos we can publish to ensure his total victory?

Maybe get Madlad to be his campaign manager just to leave nothing to chance.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately the Mad Lad quit boards in protest yesterday 😭

He truly lived up to his name

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Not a whole lot of others agreeing with your version of "the right thing". Maybe you're the wrong one?

Overstay fees the way Tesla do it are good, but not an arbitrary 45 minutes and then you're charged a one off fee. It's lazy, and punishes ill doers as well as innocents.

It punishes those who need to stay charging, as well as those sitting at 100% (or whatever their cutoff is). And once you've paid it there's no incentive to move.

It's an attempt to protect against an under provisioned public charging network, rather than supply a sufficient network.

I know ecars can tell when you're plugged in, but not charging, I've seen the data, so they could base the overstay on this, but they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It's actually quite sad when "my version" of the right thing is helping fellow EV drivers. Selfishness knows no bounds I guess

How is it selfish? Someone needs the charger and they were there first

We're not talking about someone sitting on a DC charger all day because it's free

It's a paid service, it's first come first served. You don't have some sort of automatic priority because you're waiting in the queue

Think if it like this, imagine you were at the coffee shop getting a round of coffees. How would you feel if the person behind you asked you to get a single flat white so they can go sooner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Like the person behind you in Tesco at the checkout who asks can they go ahead of your trolley with their handful of things?

Not sure what I'd do in the charging situation as I rarely charge at public. I guess if I wasn't in a hurry and it was their 5 minutes versus another 30 minutes for me I'd let them by. But if I needed to get to 100% then I probably would be in a hurry myself, more than likely to get home without having to charge again. Plus, in Tesco you can see how many items the person behind you has. Once you let in someone to charge, their 5 minutes could easily become 15 minutes. If you got bitten doing that once, you'd be unlikely to let it happen again.

Okay so you poked a hole in my analogy, does that mean it's okay to tell someone at a DC charger to p!ss off because you think they've been there long enough?

You can ask if you can go ahead of them for sure, but they're not obligated to say yes. From their perspective, if you need another 5 mins to get what you need then why would you sacrifice 30 mins to let someone else go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭vinniem

Agree with you Raisin! You are paying for a DC charge, you stay there for as long as you need and no need to feel guilty because someone waiting. I have not used Ecars in a while as a joke, ionity all the way and no "selfish/guilty" thoughts enter my head 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Sorry, I wasn't trying to undermine your analogy, more thinking out loud. I've never been asked by someone to skip in a coffee shop, whereas I have in Tesco. So I was trying to compare the EV charging letting someone in scenario, with a scenario I was already familiar with. I definitely don't think people should be kicked off regardless of how long they are there as long as they are still charging. But is it unreasonable of someone to ask if they can get X minutes of charge? That's the bit I'm undecided on.

Yeah true, I guess a more accurate analogy would be someone asking you to leave some of your shopping behind so they could go quicker. I know what I'd say, especially if they were asking I leave the wine behind 🤣

It isn't unreasonable to ask someone to go ahead of them, I'll be honest I almost tried it before when I needed 10 mins charging in a Leaf and there was an E-tron and I-Pace ahead of me

But it's not unreasonable if them to say no either, they've got their places to go as I did as well

Like I said, point the finger at the idiot charging providers who think a single 50kW charger is adequate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

The issue with the charging networks is that in many cases you are are forced to sit on the charger for 45 minutes or longer taking the full available power all the time while, if the network was better, you could get enough juice in 15 minutes due to higher speed/better availability than the current 50 kW chargers allow.

We'll be heading to Killarney at the end of December and as far as I can see there is no guaranteed way to actually be able to charge in the town. So I will have to take a detour to the SuC in Tralee and charge up to 100% just to ensure I'll get back there on the return leg. This is a pretty major tourist town and having one 50 kW DC charger within miles and 1 or 2 frequently ICE'd AC charging units for public is not good enough in 2022. It was already bad in 2015 when we did our first trip there on an EV but now the situation just looks pathetic.

The hotel where we are staying has two charging sockets. Whether they are ICE'd, or in use, or free remains to be seen. But Tralee seems to be the only doubled up DC charging setup in all of Kerry. Ecars have 150 kW charger there also so it's the only place where you are guaranteed not to get stranded and not to have dodge the 45 minute fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I'm all in favour of being courteous and such, it shouldn't be an expectation that you must give up your spot or face being called selfish / guilty. Until a proper level of infrastructure is in place, it'll be good to take each case on it's merits.

If I was charging on DC and needed 20 mins to get to 100%, then someone asked to get 15 mins charge to get home. What if someone comes along and needs 10 mins from them? Suddenly my 20 mins is now 45 mins and so on.

General rule, I reckon, should be common sense and common decency in equal measures (although sometimes neither are as common as you would expect).

Post edited by Fingleberries on

I'll bet the three other chargers also helped

I was using Ionity Stafford a few months ago, it's a busy enough sites. Often seems like all 6 chargers are in use

When I arrived there was one other car charging but the site was full within 10 mins and by 15 mins there were two cars queuing

I started getting anxious about blocking the charger so I told one of the guys queueing I'd only need another 5 mins. He looked at me like I was some lunatic, he was probably afraid the crazy Irishman was going to rob him or something

In the end, he ended up taking another charger as one car left before me, I'd say he was waiting less then 10 mins

Like I said, proper hubs fix everything

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭vinniem

Yep Ionity sites are now very busy, I usually use Kill north/south and nearly all 4 stalls in constant use. But reliable and fast, and thankfully never had to wait...... yet 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Sorry I'm a bit lost even after reading this saga.

So @ELM327 is on a 50kW charger, drawing 50kW.

And you want him to move to an 11kW AC as soon as a smaller battery car arrives?

If I am reading it right, then that's flat out ridiculous.

• Advertisement

It's taken a few turns, but the argument seemed to be that if someone is charging over 80% SoC and not fully utilising the 50kW available they should move on or switch to the AC side

I agree that it's a bit ridiculous, especially given that many cars can maintain 50kW above 80% SoC

The morale of the story is to avoid Ecars as much as possible

But what about my needs? I need to charge, but because someone else shows up behind me I've to compromise my charging session. Sure it's selfish, I need to charge, get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Quick question on an ESB eCars charge point (a little off-topic for the current discussion), but the ESB eCars charge point in Castle Street Roscommon (C8A3R type 2, - 22kW) is reporting as working and available, but walking by last night, it looks like it has been physically removed (spaces are still there, but no charging unit). Would this be typical of the eCars app - reporting that a unit is fully operational that has been physically removed, or might it have been moved to an undisclosed location?! Have reported it.

The most likely explanation is they moved the unti and haven't updated the map

If the unit has been decommissioned then it should be offline in the app

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Called ecars yesterday to report an issue with a charge point. The guy said they'd have to get someone out. I asked if another charge point was working - to which he replies, do you have the app? I said, I do alright but the app told me this one I'm at was working so it's not much use. What a company, are they hiring staff from eir or what?

Honestly I reckon they get the lads who got fired from Eir

Some of them try their best, like remotely rebooting the chargers and stuff. But there's not much they can do remotely, they're often just waiting for an ESB technician to call out

And since it's the same technicians who do all the other ESBN work you can guess where Ecars is on the priority list

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

The taxi charging unit at Finglas/Circle K was down for at least 48 hours from ~2pm Thurs to Sat afternoon. I first noticed it down on Thurs afternoon when I pulled in for a coffee and noticed a poor woman in a Roscommon EV trying to charge up. Hope she got home ok! Maybe the machine got confused with the massive price increase from 2 days previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

It has been dodgy for years. I've seen it throttling really bad, or knocking one car off when another connects (one DC, one AC). I'd say it needs to be replaced but doubt they'll bother. It'd be nice to see Circle K do something themselves with that site as it's well placed.

I reckon Clonsaugh will be the main Circle K on the Northside, if it ever gets built

• Advertisement

It's being used according to https://www.ecars-stats.com , but if ecars have moved it but not updated the location you can report that on the app.

Advertisement