Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biking the Kerry way(MTB)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Look, I and others have been able to provide clear evidence that some parts of it are public. You've even effectively agreed that yourself.

I don't mean to backseat mod, but...why are you even posting here if you're just going to post something that's proven to be incorrect? At this point there can't be any doubt that you're simply "mistaken".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Rows Grower - don't post in this thread again; you've been excessively belligerent. Don't respond in thread, any issues, PM me.

everyone else, please don't respond further to any of his/her posts as they cannot respond in kind.

Post edited by magicbastarder on

Yeah the Devil's Ladder is in bits. Similarly, I've picked up many bags worth of rubbish on the old Kenmare road after "hikers" and "locals".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

FWIW, i was able to find within the space of a couple of minutes that the 4.5km of the kerry way north out of kenmare is on a public road.

https://www.activeme.ie/guides/the-kerry-way-entire-trail-walking-route-map-and-guide-kerry-ireland/

Yep and the section immediately north of that is a public right of way with no signposted restrictions of any kind, as far as Galweys Bridge.

I think there's nice long stretches in the Black Valley and Glencar and Caherdaniel that are on public road too, just that I'm less certain about them. I've done the Kenmare bit so many times, and seen so many different types of vehicle and person on it that I was fairly confident it was public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Where did you find mention of a public road within that site. I’ve searched and can’t find it. The only thing I found is the reference to the public right of way on another site that I linked above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I actually did a galways bridge to kenmare night spin with a local mtb club/group around 3 years back, don't ever recall seeing a 'no bikes' sign, parked at the old church/building at galways bridge and went out and back, one section was boggy but had planks across it .....I missed those planks at speed and went otb 🤣.

Most of that route would have taken cars never mind pedal bikes.

On the map itself, the route drawn out is on public roads in several places. That's if the map can be trusted...

You can use Google maps for some sections to see that they have newer brown "Kerry Way" signs on the newer streetview images. Some sections are absolutely on public roads. They're often quiet, narrow, grassy, rutted roads but they're public roads alright.

I've done a bit on 23's in the summer! Not ideal. Wouldn't recommend.

The public right of way bit is unpaved, but lots of bits of the Kerry way are fully paved normal roads with houses and farms and stuff on them. Big grass mohawks on most of them, but they're public alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Doesn't upset me at all

My bemusement was also at watching the usual Boards discussion descend into the usual garbage.

I think you are mixing up certain replies with mine. And people are getting mixed up between the Torc to Derracunnnihy section Vs the Derracunnihy to Kenmare section. I'm only talking about no cycling signs specifically on the section from Torc to Derracunnnihy.

I have MTB'd up around Torc.

I didn't say anything about MTB causing damage.

You know someone with land and access rights to Carrauntoohil? That's great but what has it got to do with the section of old Kenmare Road I was talking about?

I actually think that MTB should be allowed through all of the national park in a controlled manner on suitably maintained routes. It would then be more utilised. But if people ignore existing signs and rules.you can see why things get restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭boomdocker

If it goes through the National Park then I think you'll find that's the issue.

I was with a group a few years ago cycling in the Wicklow Mnts (above the Miners Trail) and we were politely told to leave by a ranger as biking was not allowed in the National Park

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

The rangers in Killarney generally turn a blind eye to it in my experience. Probably much harder to enforce in Killarney specifically due to cycling being allowed nearly everywhere else in the park in conjunction with the huge amount of tourists.

Like most anything in Ireland, the reason for not letting people onto land for whatever use is probably down to insurance and liability

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

The Carrauntoohil comment was towards the end of the more relevant info you chose to ignore.

I didn't insinuate you did say anything about mtb causing damage. I was merely continuing the topic of erosion.

If you have used the trails in torc then I guess you can count yourself among the terrors ignoring signs. Most if not all Coillte or national park does not allow mtb but it would be a sad mtb scene if we all paid that much mind.

In any case you do you and I'll do me I guess.

A different ball game up there altogether especially since that poor hiker up ended herself on that lethal board walk and put in a claim. The cupid stunt 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

If you are objective and read your reply again you will see that you specifically replied to me and then used terms like "your ire" and " why you think mtb are bad" so yeah you did insinuate that.

I ignored the comments about "delicate sensibilities" and "inbred" becasue they were not worth discussing.

You don't seem to realise that there are loads of trails on Torc where cycling is not prohibited - so yes I have cycled there and no I have not cycled in places wherre cycling is not allowed. Again I was specifically talking ablout the section of the old Kenmare road where cycling is prohibited.

I wouldn't refer to people as terrors for ignoring the signs - I'd more refer to them as self righteous prickz who don't think the rules apply to them.

I guess with your logic guys with Motocross bikes should just rock on up there too.

Ha you're laughable, read into it as you will.

I see what you mean about threads descending now alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Again, it depends on where you are. It's perfectly legal to cycle in the glendalough part of the NP (it recommends you do on the big boards at the car park), but only on the forestry roads. Also legal on the madman's road on the opposite side of the valley. Against the rules to follow the very obvious hiking trails scattered around (would be a civil matter though).

Advertisement