Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

That's a good one Graces7, genuine designer copies 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭pajoemccracken

Hi,

I have 20 ads on Adverts I tried to put one on tonight but they were charging me €2 for basic when before it was free. Any idea why?

I have another account for different items and put same ad on for free.

Can anyone explain. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭japprentice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

It might depend on the section you want to put it in as motoring there are fees so i stuck it somewhere else , think i have 200 up there and need a recount 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think it started because there was no fee for items sold under a certain amount.

Also some people don't want their history on display for all to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Good to know. I requested such feature years ago so I could filter out all the spam from commercial sellers with a zillion ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Is there a list of charges for car adverts? Or, does anyone know what it cost to advertise a car now?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

The cost will be your sanity when some fella makes you an offer of 'swap for my ad's and deliver?', when you realise he lives in the Aran Islands and his only ads are a used oral b electric toothbrush and and a Dunnes Stores freezer bag

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

In fairness though comments for a car ad can be disabled

Good point. In that case, you'll be seeing the dreamers' offers by text or heaven forbid, a phone call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I'd actually prefer to splash out and buy new these days than use adverts. Easier than trying to get a good deal off some lad from Ennis who reckons his Mexican strat is worth a grand because he put a shiny pickguard on it.

Had a browse of the pet adoption section recently. Cleaned up its act somewhat but they still can't get rid of people putting up dogs for sale ads. No money in doing that obviously. Pricks.

Same, I'm looking for an item at the moment, on amazon its 120 gbp new, on adverts used ones are going for well over that

That always amazed me when I used it. Item would be up for 20 quid under retail but collection only and its slightly damaged. Country full of Del Boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Seemingly in an effort to make Adverts even less transparent, more untrustworthy for potential buyers and even easier for scammers with multiple accounts boosting rep I've just noticed today you can no longer see a users sold or withdrawn adverts. Spotted this on a few other users profile pages and just opened a private browser window to look at my own profile and yep both sold and withdrawn sections are greyed out on mine as well.

How is anyone meant to gauge whether a seller is legit or not or get a feel for the quality of stuff they are selling today if they can't see their past history of products sold and the comments others have left on the ads. I hope this is a glitch. If not its completely bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

Definitely is a glitch, no issues checking anyone’s sold or withdrawn items here.

Cheers. Just tried it on Chrome, Vivaldi and Opera and its the same whether I'm logged in or not so at least its not just a 'me' glitch. Very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

That is odd but I’ve tried a few sellers and I can see all their history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

I'm finished with adverts

Deleted my account

As bad as DD ATM

Precious sellers are as bad as precious buyers

Changed my mind last week over an item I offered a bid on

I only spotted he wouldn't do PayPal only wanted revolout or bank transfer.

I tried my son and mate ref revolut - neither had a bob on them and in work.

Came back apologies etc to seller

He stated me with my only negative feedback in 10 years I reckon.

I've enough of it life's too short

Amazon or eBay for me

How much time was given in between accepting an offer and coming back saying you cant ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hard to blame the seller for your failure to check beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

I have bought and sold many items on adverts.ie I even sold my old car after I bought my new car on adverts. I got a great deal on both ends.

I will always list an item 20% above what I'm looking for it. I will get an offer at 50% and then we agree to meet in the middle. Has worked every time.

Just buy from sellers with good feedback and you will be grand.

It's the same for me, can't see withdrawn and sold. Don't think it's a glitch though, just Adverts being Adverts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

That's also true

Tbh I looked at so many adds and practically all had PayPal option so maybe I glazed over it but tbf I genuinely tried to use 2 different revolout cards

Both hadn't a bob on them

And both ppl at work at the time

And no way would I contemplate a bank transfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

I once bought a Gucci bag for someone in a shop in Chinatown in SF, cost about $100 IIRC. This is about 20 years ago, it was a stunning copy, came with dustbag, box & documentation. Vendor told me it was a grey market version (manufactured from original specification parts excess to Gucci's order). Extremely tasteful, black leather, almost impossible to tell the brand.

Looked at the real version (about $1,500 In a store & couldn't tell the difference).

About five years ago, one of the little nuts on a strap was coming off and I brought it into BT to see could I get it repaired, fully expecting them to tell me to sling one, but they took it in for repair & serviced the bag completely, when we got it back, all the hardware had been replaces & the leather had been restored. All free of charge.

The majority of "genuine designer copies" are tat, but not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Fartman666

I've noticed that too, best theory I've come up with is it's to stop people asking if a withdrawn item is still available. Best one I've seen is this one guy who changed all his withdrawn ads to listings for "one orange"

Also came here to ask about the sold thing, I swear you used to be able to search for sold stuff on the site at least. Hopefully they haven't just removed it

All my items i have sold are marked as sold and left feedback and it goes into my list of sold items.

I cannot see what they used to have up for sale as the colours have changed and you cannot click on it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Yeah the option to search for sold items is gone. It was always a good gauge if putting up and ad, to see what similar items sold for recently. Who knew my latest piece of crap wasn't worth €200 :) Not sure why they removed it, it was very useful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

Yeah I'm really sad that the ability so search sold and withdrawn ads is gone. Don't know why they would do it.. it makes the site a lot less useful to me, and I use it a lot.

I'm hoping it's some temporary thing as happened some years ago, and it comes back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Guy offers half of asking (as per the usual for adverts) I decline, he removes original offer only to place it again 🙄

If you have a set price = Non Negotiable and they offer a price under i ignore them as usually it has been reduced to that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I usually comment saying "too low" or ask them to make a 1 euro bid for pm purposes so not to clog up the ad.

Yes no problem on answering for pm purpose for 1 euro

Amazing how many on the pet "adoption" section want money when you get to PM stage. Actually some of them are even more blatant than that, says it right in the f*cking ad. It's almost as if they should have shut that particular shitshow years ago.

Can anyone tell me how is it possible for an Adverts user to delete all of their sold and withdrawn adverts on the site. I don't mean mark as sold or withdrawn. Actually delete so their profile shows Active: 0, Sold: 0, Withdrawn: 0 when they have sold a ton of stuff? Their account is still active and they are still PM'ing people. The comments number still shows and you can still go through them.

There is a user who shall remain nameless who if they are doing what I think they are doing is pulling a massive fraud. If it is fraud its upwards of 100k over multiple items against multiple users. Before they have delivered the goods everyone has paid for ALL of this users ads have been deleted.

That might have been admin as we used to see what was sold or withdrawn on their page and now we cannot see previous history on that.

If you feel something is fishy just report it. I got a message from Admin saying a user was acting strange and not to send them info as was a 1 euro for pm but what i was selling was not what he wanted to buy.

Report to who though. I've reported fraud and user accounts conspiring before to Adverts support repeatedly, even with the help of Spocker and nothing was done.

If it takes Admin to assist this person in deleting all of their records and they did so I think there are questions to be answered as to why. I have no faith in Adverts support to provide those answers.

Edit: Turns out after emailing Adverts Support and getting a swift reply (credit were its due) this sellers account has been suspended so all of their ad history is gone. However they have been allowed to continue to comment for the purpose of organising refunds and making deliveries. But are they doing that when they are now claiming in PM to me to be gone for Christmas and refusing to respond to questions if they are processing refunds or when they will be back.

None of the Adverts buyers I've contacted via PM effected by this seller were made aware the seller was suspended so theres a lot of stress for users left out of pocket and out of the loop this Christmas.

Post edited by Blinked_Missed It on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Just came across this ad now and it looks pretty suspicious.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Yes Telegram Ha Ha as not going near that for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭littlevillage

That advert looks suspiciously like an online version of the Jam Auction scam. Basically €500 for a bag of worthless sh1te.

Jam auction scam 👇

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Am I correct in saying that a potential buyer can leave feedback when item sale has been cancelled?

potential buyer made an offer, I accepted the offer. Made arrangements for when they would collect then heard nothing. Sent him a couple of messages / reminders and no response. Meanwhile another potential buyer has made a reasonable offer. I cancel the first offer but now I see that messer buyer Number 1 can leave feedback..

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Yes, I've done it before. I leave negative feedback on the timewaster's page & then block them straightaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

I think I was still able to see sold(in user account) using app but not on pc. Second annoying thing were(are) sellers renewing adds everyday while you are searching for something(i set few alerts) and it pops out everyday - contacted adverts about it but quiet.

Done selling on adverts lads for good. Definitely no more in person meets anyway. It's always a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 WertdeerSC

Never had an issue buying or selling on Adverts in the last ten years, including buying a car four years ago.

Well you're lucky. It's always a painful experience most of the time. Buying is no problem but I find selling incredibly frustrating

The two biggest annoyances (after a lot of sales) I have found are

Those who show up without the correct amount of cash

And

Those who act surprised that they have to pay. As if I'm going to magically turn around and say 'ah sure you can have it for free'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Anytime I have given anything for free I have been messed around.

I was trying to offload a kids bike, was in ok condition; asked for €10 - no interest; reduced to €5 - no interest.

Then put it up for free and was messed around by 3 separate people until a really unfriendly/ ungrateful individual took the bike. Not as much as a TY

Advertisement