Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I am Proud of Being a Conspiracy Theorist

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The first 6 replies in this thread!

Would you get away with such abuse in any other thread??

It certainly triggers some people , id say they might need some help.

Theres medication for those issues now , but it might only offer 'modest protection' ...

But the Followers would still take as many doses as they are told... Good boys. *pat on the head.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

@greenspurs one poster has been forum banned for 1 week. I've deleted your posts where you quote them as they have no right of reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

You like conspiracy stuff? Okay. I like to debunk nonsense. There's a big crossover point there.

why are all the intelligent followers so concerned about what is being said in here?

It's not all harmless "bigfoot and aliens" stuff. I've seen the damage it can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I wandered in here a while back, I come and go. But a few dare not post outside of the conspiracy theory forum on similar subjects in the regular board's forums. They just feel safe here. Folklore suggests we could be debating with the same member and they have multiple accounts. But that's a conspiracy. Like a sasquatch they shape shift.

But I wouldn't take anything here personal, there was a funny discussion and they came up with the sealions. Throughout board's they're know as the sealions. Most people who post here are ran out of it or banned for reacting to the one I have on ignore. Most people have him on ignore. He waits around looking for someone to undermine. A pure head the ball. His kin think he's a leg. They'd be PM ing each other about members and others too. One of them who defected told me that lol

Have you heard of sealioning ?

Okie Doke ... whatever floats your boat......

"nonsense" - You get to decide that ?

"damage" - Really ? in A CT forum ?!?

Of course i have.

Ive experienced it lots of times in here from the same few.

Ok.

But why werent the posts left up. The banned poster would see them next week, and then they could decide themselves to reply or not ??

(ive no idea what posts youve deleted)

---------------------------------------------------

1 point warning - Do not discuss moderator action on thread. Your posts were deleted because the poster you were trying to engage is forum banned. The poster can't reply. And coming back into a discussion that saw them banned for a week probably wouldn't be the best idea.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Throughout board's they're know as the sealions.

Really?

Never seen the term used anywhere else online, let alone elsewhere on boards. It is only used in this forum as some kind of insult towards people questioning conspiracy theorists. But even then by the conspiracy theorists own definition of what sealioning is, it doesn't apply to what they are claiming is happening to them by the non CT'ers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

You don't debunk anything. It is widely known that you abuse a recent update to the forum charter to frustrate and derail discussion about conspiracies.

You lie about enjoying conspiracies and that you are "Just asking questions", despite there being a posting history from you celebrating the shutting down of conspiracy related content on Youtube.

Thankfully, now that moderation has returned to the forum we can actually start having decent discussions and maybe the forum might just start to flourish again and be an interesting place to visit.

• Advertisement

Are these beliefs harmful? Certain ones are.

For example, someone believes in Bigfoot, okay, it's not exactly harmful.

Unfortunately there are harmful beliefs. People harassing relatives of slain children. Historically, anti-Semitic conspiracy theories. Political stuff (e.g. the 2020 insurrection), medical disinformation where people avoid medical treatment and put their lives (and others) at risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

There was nothing abusive in my post that you quoted. There was an example of the OPs notion of what an "idiot deal-breaker is" and his own OP.

If you feel there was abuse?

Report it or lay off the back seat modding.

It's just a bit of banter about the sealions. It's not meant to be offensive.

So it's an us and them scenario so.

Why do you post here ?

Conspiracies happen all the time, open a newspaper. Everyone enjoys reading about them, I've just finished a book about a real-world conspiracy, literally titled "Conspiracy".

For the more fantastical far-fetched conspiracies, like ones you've expressed, I am more than happy to debunk/address.

For the more harmful stuff and disinformation, sites, including this one, often take action.

Speaking of having decent discussions, I asked you a few questions months ago, repeatedly, to clarify your whole stance on the space programme, as there is some confusion surrounding what you have posted previously. In the interests of 'decent discussion' would you mind replying now?

So here's your opportunity to clear everything up:

1. You said "the entire space programme was faked". Satellites are part of the space programme. Do you believe satellites are real?
    2. If so, why are they excluded from your claim that "the whole space programme is fake"?
    3. Why have you waited until now (April 2022) to refute the people who said that you believe they aren't real, after being quoted as saying so multiple times?
    4. Do you believe the world is flat?
    5. If so, do you accept that the world is shaped as per the average map (Mercator projection)?
    6. If so, how did Japanese planes bomb Pearl Harbour if they had to fly 36,000 miles in a westerly direction to reach Hawaii and then the survivors fly the same distance back to Japan, partly over mainland USA without detection?

This is basic, entry-level stuff which you have ignored multiple times. How is anybody supposed to engage in decent discussions if you won't even outline what is being discussed.

Well some of your fellow debunkers here have said they never seen a conspiracy to be proven as fact.

Obviously you're not on the same page as those guys. And you have an open mind.

Most people don't really have debunking or conspiracies on their minds,so I'm sure they're not going to be reading false information on the conspiracy theorist forum on boards.ie and their opinions are swayed by random guys like you or I .

You sometimes seem to think that whatever you're posting is helping the servitude. As if you or my influence is going to help someone here make the right decision.

I wouldn't want people to take my posting serious. A lot of my posting would be asking questions, deflection of insults and the odd bit of huffing and puffing . I'm not the most nicest guy here. Been pulled up over my bad attitude.ill admit that I'm a bit contrary now and again probably intentionally pissing someone off Par for the course.

I've yet to see a debunker admit they can be a bit of a s#!t now and again.

• Advertisement

So you want to harangue peoples beliefs then?

Do you think you can harangue people into changing their beliefs? Or you just enjoy haranguing people in the CT forum?

Of course some beliefs cross a line, but where do you draw your line?

You seem to take umbrage with ALL theories in here, not just the Anti semitic or harassing the relativies of slain children (???) ...

But whats harmful about Political views?? people are entitled/allowed to favour whatever side they feel like?

People can post their personal views if they like , i dont think you are the decider of what people should think.....

You posted :

"Pride in being a conspiracy theorist is certainly a moron-dealbreaker.

If posing rhetorical questions is your job? Well then based on the above? Ahhhm, keep up the "good work" I suppose "

really ??

How is pointing out the pile on , "modding" ?

Its pointing out the ott nature of the Followers on here towards anyone that doesnt follow the narrative ...

Cap fits?

Which is as the OP had asked for in a different thread, that fortuitous synchronicity crossed with his starting this one. Not an insult, an answer to the OP.

It's killing 2 birds with one stone.

Narrative? What narrative? That the conspiracy hypothesists who frequent this corner of boards rarely present evidence? That when they do, they invariably either misrepresent it or misunderstand it?

Or that when a hypothesis is presented, they want to have a right to it's being treated as inviolate?

Let's all remember, that if it wasn't for the dim-witted and gullible conspiracies wouldn't work..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

There's an obvious paradox that can be used as a "get out of asylum free" card by the "thought morphers", so in order to stay a few steps ahead, one needs to remain cognisant of the fact that a convincingly proven theory becomes fact.

Such cases exist - nicotine for instance, asbestos too perhaps, and a host of other substances like DDT as an example.

A "knowing denial" of the health risks incurred by a global product is obviously a conspiracy.

A simple defence to be used here, is the fact that the verb "conspire" has not been intentionally socially stigmatised to the extent that the word "conspiracy" has.

A certain type of individual will attempt to point out a contradiction above, but I'm anticipating them confusing "conspiracy" with "conspiracy theory" in order to do so.

• Advertisement

There is documentary evidence of a cover up in fauci's emails..

When you pair it with event 201, and operation crimson contagion, all in the one year, well, you have to be wilfully blind to say there isn't something odd..

See thats it.

A lot of people feel they have to follow other posters around in the CT forum and belittle their beliefs. What they tthink could be true, would could have happened.

But no. The fact finders demand answer NOW... and if they dont , theyll hold onto the questions they asked months ago (bit strange... 🤔) and they demand answers the next time they feel like demanding a reply.....

"Killing 2 birds with 1 stone" - is that what its about for you?

And has anyone actually ever killed 2 birds with one stone? Or is that another Con Theory ?

You keep fighting that good fight and I'll keep hoping I'm admitted to the group PM conspiracy alert 👍😉

**Edit** just to add, there was no "following" the op. At the time of my reply both his threads were on the front page of boards. As I said earlier, fortuitous synchronicity but don't let coincidence get in the way of a good victim narrative. Which ironically? The OP didn't have.

Yes, people are asked questions about their beliefs. This is SOP across pretty much every single discussion forum on the entire internet.

First of all, not all beliefs are equal and some of them deserve to be belittled.

Secondly, Peoples' beliefs aren't belittled on here. They're not even mocked by anyone. What is mocked, is someone who says "I believe in X" and then refuses to say why they believe in X, or why they believe in Y (which directly contradicts X), or why they cannot explain all of the evidence which proves X cannot be true. This happens repeatedly all across the CT forum.

See my post to Markus from earlier today.......I fail to see how anyone could count that as "belittling" his opinions. I mean, how could I when I'm quite clearly asking him what his beliefs are? Fact of the matter is:

a)he said one thing,

b) was derided for the nonsensical nature of what he said,

c) refused to elaborate when provided an opportunity to do so and

d) claimed, months later, that he never actually said it in the first place.

Anyone is free to believe whatever the fcuk they want to believe. But if you continually ignore everything that disproves those beliefs, lie, misrepresent stuff to show your beliefs in a positive light, contradict yourself, then shut up shop when people point all of this out, then your belief SHOULD be mocked and belittled, as it is nonsensical and not founded in reality.

Well sometimes the truth is inconvenient for some people.

A lot of the stuff going on out there ain't going to impinge on my freedom. I've a lot of security in my life. I've a trade in the public sector and pretty well paid and have another 20+ year's in my working life. Mortgage nearly paid off. No outstanding loans otherwise.

All this globalization and WEF conspiracy theory stuff Claus Shwab etc doesn't bother me. Flat earth and JFK pffft

Us so called conspiracy theorists aren't all the same. Take debating about religion and atheism. Well I suppose I'd be an agnostic conspiracy theorist . Some conspiracies are questionable, other's like flat earth and the ice wall I don't have any interest in. They bare no significant impact on my would view. So therefore I couldn't be discussing what I know already isn't true.

@Dohnjoe mentioned bigfoot. I'm still open minded about bipeds and cryptids, the paranormal, different portals etc I find that stuff interesting. So I suppose that comes into the unsolved mysteries bracket more than a conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

I'm not an extreme conspiracy theorist but I do question things we are told. I don't trust politicians to tell us the truth or do the right thing for us.

The person who doesn't believe any conspiracy theory and believes every little thing and doesn't think it's possible for politicians or the rich and powerful to do X or Y are idiots too, as well as those with the 5g covid conspiracy.

It's like when mattie mcgrath was reading from the WEF website in the Dail and he was laughed at and accused of parroting a conspiracy theory...when everything he read out was written on the WEF website.

"Oh it's a crazy conspiracy theory that covid was man made in a lab" - then later it's actually raised as a possibility.

"Well sometimes the truth is inconvenient for some people."

This is now the most true thing you have said on this forum.

Indeed, but remember this is what most conspiracy theorists say, whether it's Alex Jones, a flat-earther, someone who believes people are lizards, they say they are "just questioning things"

But many don't like when their conspiracies are questioned. Some go to great lengths to avoid that happening.

See , there you go again ....... You say

"First of all, not all beliefs are equal and some of them deserve to be belittled."

Then :

" Peoples' beliefs aren't belittled on here. They're not even mocked by anyone. What is mocked, is someone who says "I believe in X" and then refuses to say why they believe in X"

The contradictions - Some deserve to be belittled , then peoples beliefs arent belittled, Theyre not even mocked - then What is mocked is someone ...

Its so hard to keep up with your definition of what has to happen in here.

Its not always words that belittle people, its the way you phrase them.

Maybe you and a few others should think about that.

Once again - Why are there so many people that dont believe in any Theorys, in here ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Advertisement

Glad you agree with me $hifty. It's about time you stopped asking silly questions and agree with me.

I dug a hole and you walked into it.

Take your pick, or as I say, call a spade a spade.

Reading comprehension not your strong point, eh?

Let me break it down for you then.....

The contradictions - Some deserve to be belittled , then peoples beliefs arent belittled,

"Some beliefs deserve to be belittled, but they aren't." Two completely different things which can exist independently of one another.....i.e. not a contradiction.

Theyre not even mocked - then What is mocked is someone ...

Correct. Their beliefs aren't mocked. Their refusal to accept that their belief is complete horseh1t when evidence showing them that it's horseh1t IS mocked.

Again, two completely different things which can exist independently of one another.....i.e. not a contradiction.

Its so hard to keep up with your definition of what has to happen in here.

I've never said anything HAS to happen here or anywhere. What SHOULD happen, if people want healthy, robust discussion, is for everyone to engage in the topic in good faith. Ignoring evidence, refusing to engage with whatever pokes holes in your argument, outright lying and refusing to even say what you believe in, is not acting in good faith.

I fully reserve the right to mock and belittle anyone who does the above. For the sake of clarity, I'm not mocking their BELIEFS, I'm mocking their dishonest METHODS of defending or promoting those beliefs. There is a difference between the two, a huge difference.

Capisce?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Stuff Mattie McGrath was reading in the dail about the 4th industrial revolution and changing to stakeholder capitalism.

🤣🤣

You have to get a wee insult in every post ?? Its nice to be nice ?

I did a synopsis of what you wrote, but after your diatribe ...THIS IS WHAT YOU WROTE...

So can you break that down, not what i paraphrased in my last post... Maybe explain where im wrong about you contradicting yourself? maybe i didnt break it down enough for you?

THIS IS WHAT YOU WROTE

"First of all, not all beliefs are equal and some of them deserve to be belittled.

Secondly, Peoples' beliefs aren't belittled on here. They're not even mocked by anyone.

What is mocked, is someone who says "I believe in X" and then refuses to say why they believe in X, or why they believe in Y (which directly contradicts X), or why they cannot explain all of the evidence which proves X cannot be true. This happens repeatedly all across the CT forum." *end of quote

1)"Some of them deserve to be belittled" ?

2) " peoples beliefs arent belittled on here" ...

3) "what is mocked is someone" .......

Help me capisce........

So what you're suggesting is mock the poster and not the post. Goes against posting in good faith doesn't it.

Nope. Please try again......closer to: "Mock the poster's abject failure at defending/explaining/outlining their beliefs".

Maybe explain where im wrong about you contradicting yourself?

I already did. The fact that you misunderstood it (twice) is on your head, not mine. Here it is for a third time:

1. "Some beliefs deserve to be belittled, but they aren't." Two completely different things which can exist independently of one another.....i.e. not a contradiction.
    2. Their beliefs aren't mocked. Their refusal to accept that their belief is complete horseh1t when evidence showing them that it's horseh1t IS mocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Poor auld galileo. Mad stuff he came up with.

I agree proof is required and not mad nonsense, but people should be allowed bring their thoughts out and open to honest discourse. Only see one side not being open and honest.

Once again - Why are there so many people that dont believe in any Theorys, in here ?

Forgot to address this point........for the exact same reason that people who believe completely ridiculous and stupid theories are in here. Because they can, and anyone wishing for an echo chamber can go start their own forum if they so wish. This isn't a 'safe space' where you can spout whatever crap you want. We've seen all too recently how leaving this stuff unchallenged can lead to severe (and possibly fatal) consequences.

If you don't want to be taken to task for talking sh1te, then the answer is to stop talking sh1te, not banning everyone who says "he's talking sh1te".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Post edited by bad2thebone on

They are allowed, though. This is the whole point being made.....you can say whatever the hell you want to say on here.

But equally, others can reply to you and ask why you think this, or how you can think these thoughts while also thinking other thoughts that directly contradict the first set of thoughts.

The default response to this is to start throwing the toys out of the pram, claim you're being stalked/harassed/piled on/abused etc. Sometimes, posters won't even SAY what they believe, because it's plain as day that it's a load of crap.

As I said to the other poster, if you have trouble understanding plain English, that's on your head, not mine.

I can dumb it down a little further for you, if its still too much?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I do believe Galileo was able to empirically prove his theory, and it was the "faith based" practitioners who censured him.

Galileo is as far from the CTers on this forum as possible. Take them COVID vaccines for example. Despite numerous empirically based studies and tests the CTers still maintain there is some global conspiracy to cull the population and there is some global wide omerta among doctors, politicians and journalists to cover this extermination up.

Which side do you think it's being honest and open, and which side do you think deals in misinformation, lies and deceit??

But you always bring your toy's out to play @[Deleted User] constantly posting nothing of note. You come in here to mock people. As you so eloquently try to defend your strident squall.

• Advertisement

🤔

you missed the 3rd one..... ??? 🤣 3) "what is mocked is someone" .......

But perhaps you answered it in your reply to

Mock the post ? or Mock the poster?

You just said ""Mock the poster's abject failure at defending/explaining/outlining their beliefs".

So if a person that posts in CT forum , decides that he doesnt want to/shouldnt have to defend/explain/outline their beliefs , you will mock the poster?

Or if theres 'abject failure' to do so, you will also mock the poster ? You do realise thats not really supposed to happen?

I doubt youd do that in 'real life' / face to face ....

Also, just on the "abject failure to defend/explain/outline their belief" who decides that its a fail? Who decides that the posse of followers should then "Mock the poster" ?

You also said -

"I fully reserve the right to mock and belittle anyone who does the above. For the sake of clarity, I'm not mocking their BELIEFS, I'm mocking their dishonest METHODS of defending or promoting those beliefs. There is a difference between the two, a huge difference.

WOW -

I think you should really think about how you , and your cohort of friends , go about things online.

You aren't making any sense. I don't have a grasp of your world view. Might I add we're indifferent.

I rest my case Mr @[Deleted User]

"If you don't want to be taken to task for talking sh1te, then the answer is to stop talking sh1te, not banning everyone who says "he's talking sh1te"."

Once again , you feel you are 'entitled' to "take people to task" for posting their opinion - Its not your job kid.

If we are talking $hite Shifty, why keep coming back? Is it a civic duty for you?

"Leaving it unchallenged" - A bit like a moral guardian , protecting the narrative, and the truth- Like a Superhero , if you will.

Very noble of you and the rest of the (why cant we) Get Along Gang ....... Beautiful.

See , you say that. But the rest of your posts are a giveaway to your true intentions........

Mocking posters, belittling them .$hite , crap ....

You just mentioned all those while saying people have to explain themselves or else face the wrath of the Gatekeeping Get Along gang....

Sounds great.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement