Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Internationals 2022

1343536373840»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Don't disagree as SM is fairly toxic but Rassie has a direct line to WR. He is using social media as a means to get at refs. He wants refs to fear giving big calls against SA.

Game on November 12th. Rassie started posting the day after, so the way he framed the game led to the level of abuse rising in that few days Barnes references here.

Could just be a coincidence of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It’s not a coincidence. Rassie has made it worse. I’m just saying that he isn’t the sole reason it’s happening and that this stuff didn’t suddenly start with Rassies BS.

No, but the level of abuse has gone way beyond anything previously known about and Rassie is very much responsible for driving it. Its exactly what he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I agree. They were arseholes before Rassie started his rants but he legitimized their feelings and their behaviour (in their minds). Its a bit like Trump and the nutjobs who stormed the Capitol on Jan 6th. They are responsible for their own actions but as a person in authority, he encouraged it.

I think in future, the refs should make sure every 50/50 call goes against the Boks so that Rassie loses his **** even more. Then maybe World Rugby would finally act.

They won't though. I can see some big call going SA way because at the back of a refs kind is the possibility of a social media pile or worst, some nutjob physically attacking them or their families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

All abuse is wrong but this is far far worse. Its calculated by Rassie, deliberate. He knew the consequences of his actions. To think otherwise would be very naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

He made it far worse, and when things got out of hand, he could have stepped in to defuse it, but he didn't, he kept stoking it, then he sat back and laughed because he got exactly what he wanted.

I hope everyone now realises what he really is, because up to a few weeks, he still had quite a few defenders on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

If I recall the Irish ref McHugh? was attacked by a pitch invader, sorry if already discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

We know Erasmus didn't criticize refs on the floor of the Harvard debating union. He deliberately picked the medium and ecosystem most likely to rile up the exact response he elicited. Guns make it easier to kill people, do you bring that up at a murderer's trial?

You realise that in this analogy that the murderer is the person/people threatening Barnes and his family though, right? Rassie is the NRA or Republican mouth piece that empowers them.

• Advertisement

Respectfully, the main thing I don't realize is the intention of your original point.

To be clear, I don't think you are trying to mitigate Erasmus's culpability. But we all know SM is a dumpster fire that allows cowards to hide behind anonymity, and we all know that this has happened before, and we all know (hope) that whomever is actually threatening refs and their family members will be investigated.

If anything, Erasmus leveraged off the preexisting context to achieve his goals.

My point was in response to Clegg saying that the abuse Barnes and his family have gotten was Rassies fault. I was just saying it isn’t that binary. He has empowered the behaviour and has a level of responsibility here, but it didn’t just start when he kicked off. This stuff has been happening for far longer than that and those who do it are responsible for their own actions too.

There doesn't seem to be a huge amount we disagree on. Maybe just how we define "it" in your sentence, "it didn't just start when he kicked off".

If you define "it" as just knuckleheads being generally horrible on Twitter, you are right, that didn't start with Erasmus.

But if you define "it" as the targeted and temporally localized spike in threats of violence toward IRB officials and their families, I would argue, that is solely on him and how he capitalized on that very pre-existing context.

If it hasn't already been mentioned here, it's a textbook case of stochastic terrorism:

"the public demonization of a person or group resulting in the incitement of a violent act, which is statistically probable but whose specifics cannot be predicted"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

It's baffling that some are not able to draw a hard line between the Erasmus tweets and the exponential growth of abuse Barnes receives on twitter. It’s is akin to taking an Erasmus “Learning” tweet at face value.

Erasmus has been putting referees in the firing line for years.

e.g. His comments after that Eng game ’18 and his subsequent video of him ‘coaching’ Esterhuizen.

We know how Joe Schmidt handled Gardener & Barnes. Properly with WR. Could you imagine how it would have escalated if he was Erasmus....Actually why is Barnes on twitter anyway?

Free speech is a beautiful thing but refs, coaches and players need to be protected from themselves as much as anything else.

When WR pulled Erasmus after his tweets v France I wasn't sure what to make of the subsequent SA rugby statement.

“There was agreement that further dialogue was needed in terms of enhancing the process that operates between teams and match officials to ensure all can play their part in creating great spectacles and avoid frustration but in a way that underpins the respect for match officials, coaches and players.”

To my mind that is a statement that WR told them to issue.

In hindsight WR played a blinder by pulling him aside. It's diffused the situation. Maybe its only for the time been, like an entente cordiale.

I would think WR are putting together a doc/guideline maybe even a law that "underpins the respect...."

It'll be interesting to see if we ever see another "Learning" from Erasmus. If we do I'd say WR will have in place something whereby they can throw the book at SA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

"A subsection of social media users are awful people, who saw awful things to other people."

"Rassie Erasmus directed these people towards a target of his choice, intentionally, for his own aims".

Both of these statements are true, and neither excuses the other. Otherwise incitement to violence wouldn't exist as a crime. Imagine there's a massive hose leaking water all over the road - if I take that hose, and point it towards my neighbor's house, I can't absolve myself of blame for flooding their garden because "sure that water was already out there, and it was flooding things anyway".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Rassie is a stupid ****. He gets away with it. That's on the administration and the South African union.

It won't change. Ban him for the world cup, if it continues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

To my mind that is a statement that WR told them to issue.

I'd say WR were disgusted that SA came out with that but decided it wasn't worth the hassle to pull them up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That statement is trying to put the blame for Rassies actions back on to World Rugby and the referees. It is an extension of what Rassie has been doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

When I read it from a WR point a view (The real power holders) I would be thinking along the lines lets give them a bit more rope because we are creating a noose.

There was agreement that further dialogue was needed - True. & we have 7 months without noise to draw up plans to make sure this never happens again.

in terms of enhancing the process - Fine and there will ONLY be the official process. Now with Hard Red Lines.

that operates between teams and match officials - Fine. It will be "enhanced" with Red Lines.

to ensure all can play their part in creating great spectacles - Fine. You condescending fukks.

and avoid frustration - Not so Fine. But you step outside the official process there will be draconian punishments impacting on you at WC

but in a way that underpins the respect for match officials, - Fine. You have deliberately undermined match officials. See above

coaches and players.” See above

Advertisement