Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This would also be my experience having grown up CoI. I've seen churchgoers support all kinds of cruelty for no better reason than sadism. Of course, churches of all stripes do charity work so there's obviously a fair degree of cognitive dissonance going on.

The Church of England was happy to be silent during the war on Iraq, austerity linked to 335,000 deaths and the tapping into racism and xenophobia by the Tories and the Brexit leave campaigns. Of course, they're not above material gain with their appointed members of the House of Lords, their head also being the unelected head of state, their privileged position above all other religions in this country and their endowment fund of £10.1 billion. None of this stops them from moralising about issues such as same-sex relationships though.

Depends on what you mean by member and compassionate? Tory voters may be more likely to be involved in volunteering schemes due to their being more affluent than non-Tory voting demographics. They also are more likely to own homes so they'll likely have time and money to donate. The tiny portion of the population (0.2%) who are Tory members specifically... I doubt many of them have any interest in anything beyond financial gain and the usual cruelty. Witness the virtue-signalling by Truss and Sunak, the latter having to run unopposed to become PM in the second leadership election this year.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

Growing up I remember being horrified by the rants of Ian paisley I'd see on the news.I never encountered any CofE clergy remotely like that.They were generally quietly spoken and mild mannered, certainly not full of fire and brimstone.

I don't trust any of the tories although May did come across as not as bad as many of them imo.i noticed the leader of the dup wears a fish symbol on his lapel which is bizarre as they don't appear to show much in the way of Christian values.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the fish symbol is probably a protest at the EU fishing quotas that affect NI fishing industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It certainly is, but the more decent and honourable members of the party have been completely side lined by the Brexit / UKIP zealots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

This video here is interesting from two points of view: one is the response of the audience, which, if the Question Time audience is in any way representative, indicates that people in Britain (England) believe, in increasing numbers, that Brexit is a disaster, and two is to watch what Rees-Smug does when he's caught out:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,082 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's basically a national TV version of what happens on this thread.

Someone blasts in with a "benefit of Brexit" which is incredibly easily debunked which leads to falling back into attempted gaslighting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

In fairness, they both could be telling the truth here. Mogg is saying that wine imports/exports from/to Australia and New Zealand are much easier which could be true. The guy in the audience is saying import/exporting wine has got much, much harder which could also be true if he doesn't do much business with Australia and New Zealand which is probably the case. So, Mogg may not have been caught out as such but still doesn't change the fact Brexit is a disaster and their solution is to make deals with other markets that largely don't matter because trading with the EU is now a pain in the hole to do business with thanks to Brexit and the version of Brexit they sought.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Britain imports far more wine from the EU than from Aus / NZ, so it was really only a diversionary tactic from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

For what it's worth, in Australia the wine exporters association guidance to its members is not presenting Brexit as advantageous. The main consequence of Brexit for Australian producers is that the EU and the UK are now two separate markets with similar but not identical regulatory regimes. The regimes are different enough that wine has to be separately labelled for either the GB market or the EU+NI market - a bottle cannot be labelled in a way that satisfies the requirements of both markets. The certification requirements for the two markets also differ.

This isn't a huge deal, since most Australian wine exported to Europe is exported in bulk and bottled in Europe. Still, it's a complication; from the point of bottling onwards wine destined for the GB market has to be segregated from wine destined for the EU+NI market, which wasn't previously necessary.

One respect in which the UK regime is ostensibly better for Australian exporters is that the UK no longer requires certain certification documents which are required by the EU. But these documents are generated before the wine is exported from Australian, and practice in the industry is to generate them for all wine exported, so that consignments can be directed to the EU market if and as required. And this illustrates one of the points about Brexit that is not always understood, especially in the UK. The UK is simply too small a market for most of the world to care very much about it. Australian wine exports are certified to EU standards even if they are not, in fact, going to the EU. The notional advantage of not having to certify wine for the GB market is offset by the trouble and cost of identifying, and separately handling, wine for the GB market at the point of export from Australia.

The UK Australia FTA does abolish UK tariffs on Australian wines and this could be real benefit, except that it is more than offset by a restructuring of UK excise on alcoholic drinks. The estimated £26 million saving in import duties is more than cancelled by the estimated £70 million increase in excise duties.

That's not my claim. The phenomenon of people seeking, and obtaining, asylum goes back a long way; I know that. MY claim is that for the past 70 years or so it hasn't been treated as a matter in which each country adopts and implements its own policies; it's a phenomenon that needs to be addressed not unilaterally but multilaterally, through instruments such as the Refugee Convention, Dublin III, etc, and agencies such as the UNHCR.

Brexiters pretended that, by Brexiting and reclaiming "control of our borders" the UK would be able, acting unilaterally, to address the phenomenon more effectively. This was, and is, nonsense.

• Advertisement

The idea that Britain is equal to or greater than the EU as a trading partner is of course one of the two big lies behind Brexit.

And I think it is a reality many have yet to come to terms with.

Brexit would stop all immigrants and the UK would do better without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"The UK Australia FTA does abolish UK tariffs on Australian wines and this could be real benefit, except that it is more than offset by a restructuring of UK excise on alcoholic drinks. The estimated £26 million saving in import duties is more than cancelled by the estimated £70 million increase in excise duties."

When taxes were brought up, Mogg tried to duck by saying "The Chancellor instituted..." as if to say, not our fault.

Last I looked, the Chanceller's a member of HMG and a Tory MP.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Many EU countries, including quite soon Ireland, have specific alcohol labelling rules that means there isn't really an EU-wide bottle label on virtually any alcohol products anyway.

You do seem some mergers, e.g. a lot of Irish craft beers use the same label here and various Nordic countries, meaning they have multiple different warnings and multiple bottle return scheme logos.

Most producers are not going to be willing to have our cancer warning on bottles sold anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

With it being the festive season, I've been looking at which drink I'm going to be buying,out of curiosity I compared like for like cost between the UK and Ireland and am puzzled as to why it's considerably more expensive in Ireland and wondered why that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Higher duty, except on strong beer where its lower. Also neoprohibitionist rules against discounting and a high minimum unit price

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Taxing reasons likely part of it. We have higher VAT, and possibly higher Excise rates. We also have MUP (minimum unit pricing) since the start of 2022 which has pushed cheaper stuff upwards.

There may also be commercial reasons (e.g., higher minimum wage, insurance costs, business rates) which drive the retail price for the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭yagan

One phenomenon of the post soviet era was the dramatic rise in alcohol abuse. There was tacit government support for keeping the masses sozzled, and I can imagine Britain will go that way too rather than acknowledging decline.

Another point on oz wine is that aside from certs a declining gbp has producers chasing other markets to compensate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

In a surprise to nobody:

A survey by the British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) has prompted the business lobby group to present the government with five urgent recommendations for enhancing the agreement, which has left many exporters struggling to sell into the EU under the current terms.

More than half (56%) of the BCC members surveyed who trade with the EU said they had experienced problems complying with new rules for exporting goods, while 45% reported issues trading in services. Overall, as many as 77% of firms trading under the deal said it had not helped them to increase sales or expand.

I'd like to say something but I feel like there's no point at this stage. What people were warned about has happened but it gets spun as some sort of victory because the UK didn't become a third world country.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Ahhhh so the red tape is "on their (EU) side"... Still with the EU causing all the issues...

Mark Spencer, the farming minister, has been giving interviews and he told Times Radio this morning he claimed the government did want to reduce “red tape” for exporters to the EU. He said:

There’s always more that we can do to try and ease the way and the passage of trade. We’re very keen to do that. We’re a free and open trading nation, we want to work closely with our EU colleagues, and we want to try and reduce that red tape, if there is any red tape, on their side of the Channel. So, of course, we want to keep those channels of trade open in both directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The bit that gets me when ministers trot out the line of working with the EU to reduce eed tape, is why the interviewer doesn't simply ask if the minister accepts that Brexit, based on the current deal, has caused an increase in red tape from prior to leaving.

They simply just allow the MP rattle on about reducing the problem without any acceptance of where the problem came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Of course Brexit could have happened without any increase in 'red tape' for exporters - or importers - at all, but the Tories insisted "Brexit means Brexit" etc 🙄 well suck it up.

In fairness to the article it does state the following:

The BCC’s call for action from the government came as research from the Centre for European Reform (CER) thinktank claimed Brexit had shaved 5.5% off GDP, and cost £40bn in tax revenues.

Springford argues that the weaker economy has had a knock-on effect on public finances, contributing to Sunak’s decision to increase taxes.

The Conservative peer Gavin Barwell, who was previously Theresa May’s chief of staff during the then prime minister’s fraught Brexit negotiations, urged his colleagues to acknowledge the impact of leaving the EU on the economy.

“Our politicians can’t go on ignoring this economic self-harm for ever. That doesn’t mean we have to rejoin, but it does mean we need to reduce the very damaging barriers to trade that we have introduced with our nearest neighbours,” he said.

[emphasis mine]

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

In other words 44% of exporters aren't all that bothered about Brexit. With such a slim majority, the UK government can afford to relax a little.

Doing something that harms 56% of exports is definitely a big deal. Any government who are "relaxed" are not fit to do their jobs.

So because the whole house didn't burn down, everything is fine. It'd be nice if the government could admit that that's the metric we're using now.

"Only 56% of exporters will have problems"

Don't remember seeing that on the side of any buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Probably because if the Remainers would have put that on the side of the bus would encourage even more to vote Leave if 44% of exporters were not fussed.

Brexit was stupid and the underlying toxic culture that caused it was even more stupid but the catastrophising since is every bit as toxic and causing divisions to remain in the UK. It's not half as bad (literally bar a few %!) as it could have been. Britain is getting on just fine and is a real and constant threat to Ireland forever regarding competition, NI and so on.

Giving them an FTA is going to be a mistake in the long term. They should not have been given an inch, even if it meant their country going to ruins. Being the adult in the room may not always be in your own interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"Britain is getting on just fine..."

Seriously you believe that?

• Advertisement

There seems to be a good few "I hate Brexit btw" posters who do nothing but defend every negative post about Brexit.

Truth is "project fear" were dead right. The "enemy of the people" experts were dead right and Brexit was a sht show. The only defense left Britain didn't completely explode (almost did under Liz Lettuce)

Advertisement