Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent arrears described as Long Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭DFB-D

Hmm, what Donald Trump is saying makes a little sense. I can easily see someone who would just not pay take on a property at a high rent intending not to pay, or someone with bad relations over rent increases just deciding to not pay until they are kicked out.

As a landlord I (and others) do keep the rent a bit lower for decent tenants. Not saying that is any better or worse as a strategy, but it something I believe tenants appreciate and results in a good relationship.

Equally hard to know though if they are decent or not before renting to them. So as easy as it sounds...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Ginger83

This country is so fcuked it's almost laughable. Here we have people who signed a contract and simply stopped pay. Their reward? to live rent free for 3 years and the one who bothered to show up to a hearing tried to blame Covid. Even the judge didn't believe the bull but their hands are so tied they're almost obliged to allow further time but what will happen in 2 months WHEN they don't leave. We're talking about someone who made absolutely no effort to pay, not 500, not 1000 nothing. Even worst case scenario the income was 4×350 Covid payments.

The sooner we adopt the UK system the sooner things will improve. Good auld Ireland where possession is 9/10ths of the law and soon to be 10/10ths

The floodgates will open on April 1st and the date will be most fitting. .

So the logic here now is charge 2500 and have the risk of tenants that don't pay their rent or charge 2000 in the hopes the tenant will pay but still have the same risk that the tenant doesn't pay. At least the tenant will have less arrears when they decide not to pay.

Landlords will need to register as charities if they start following some of the nonsense being spouted on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,536 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So which part of your hypothetical scenario is a fault of the "regime"?

Whether you can sell a property while in negative equity is between you and your lender (a private entity). It's not complicated

• Advertisement

The tenants owe the landlord over 70k as a result of that contract. Same as in any business and any contract.

We really need to get rid of these "have-a-go" landlords that can't get their heads around basic facts and realities.

You're better off not commenting on things you know zero about (which may or may not include renting out property). If you want to invest in something, understand the risks. Be that property of Bitcoin. If you do invest in crypto, then just be aware that you don't have to "entrust your assets" with anyone but yourself. You'd be a bit of a clown to say that and accept being ripped off as part of the process when you didn't have to give those assets to anyone

This, unfortunately, show how little you know. Because, ironically, if you rent out a house, you are entrusting an asset worth a few hundred k wholly into the possession of other individuals.

Can you tell us what your surprise is with the case in the OP? You post a lot on these threads. How are you surprised at the scenario and the judgment? What was it that surprised you the most and what is your issue with the judgment?

I have two relatives who found themselves as unexpected landlords due to getting married in the late 2000's and early 2010's after the crash. They both rented out their properties at below market rent. In both cases to tenants they didn't know personally although in one case the tenants were recommended by a work colleague. They still have the same tenants because those tenants don't want to lose what they have. And they never give a bit of trouble.

I'm sure they could kick out those tenants and try to bump up the rent, but they appreciate the value in having no hassle and good tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

For 4 people. If they couldn't afford it they should have picked a place that they could afford. It is not rocket science. There is no excuse for 4 individuals not to pay rent for over 3 years. One person may get unlucky be it jobwise or health wise. 4 not a chance

It really shouldn't be that difficult to understand. The suggestion is not to charge the same tenants less money, the suggestion is to charge less money to get better tenants. There isn't exactly a shortage of tenants out there so you have plenty of choice. Maybe the one that offers the most money isn't the best choice. That's all.

There is no need to register as a charity. We are merely giving you some helpful suggestions as you don't appear to be able to cope with managing the risk as things currently stand. One solution would be for you to get out of the industry and instead allow the people who can cope to take over. Another would be to try to find some ways for you to lessen the risk so that you can indeed manage.

• Advertisement

That sounds like some fantastic advice, I hadnt realised that tenant's charged a lower rent come with a rent guarantee. Risk of non-paying tenants has now been solved we can move onto the next issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

That lad is known as "Box Room Donald". Pay no notice. We were all young once.

Sure have another go at reading it again and see if you can do it right this time. You might find that nobody (except yourself) mentioned anything about a guarantee

We're again back to this correlation between not being able to read and comprehend simple statements and people unable to cope with the simple passive activity of allowing someone to live in your property in exchange for money. If it's not for you, then it's not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭amacca

How about if you don't pay you are compelled to leave in a timely fashion

And if you damage you are forced to pay damages in a timely fashion

And then there's no need for anyone to "explain" about risk management

When the **** risk us caused by moron legislation the best way to have it managed would be to amend said legislation as above.

But of course it will take a lot for bullshit populist legislation to be changed to what it should be and its advocates to give up their twattery imo so the risk will have to be managed by not taking it at all as its simply too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What a bone headed view, investors should expect and accept law breaking behaviour as an inevitable consequence of the investment?. That simply is not the way commerce works. Both parties enter an agreement, both should abide by their agreement, that is the way commerce works. A LL should not expect a tenant to stop paying rent as part of the risk of investment, and saying that a tenant who runs up a €70k debt while benefitting from the service a LL is not a foreseeable risk that should be factored in when signing a tenancy agreement. To say that owners should not be in the game unless they accept that as a possibility shows a level of understanding beyond immature.

Honestly, conversing with you is like talking to a child who just sticks his fingers in his ears and goes “La La La La”. I’m pissed off with myself for engaging with your stupidity. Grrrrrr.

You have an innocent and naive view of the world. You will find that in the real world, especially in business, that people do not always do what they should do. You have to be able to cope with that though if you want to stay in that business.

You get compensated for the risk you take. You would have no justification calling for an above risk-free return while demanding risk-free conditions.

In what world could it not be foreseen that a tenant might not pay their rent? I think their rental started back in 2019. Would you like me to search boards.ie threads from that time to give you examples of people complaining about such issues back then?

Only an idiot would think that a typical LL should have a contingency plan for a €70k tenant debt as a normal consideration for investing in a rental property. And even worse, that if you don’t have that contingency, he/she shouldn’t be a LL.

Take your fingers out of your ears, will ya.

Only an idiot would rent out their house thinking they are immune from the possibility that the complete stranger and who agrees to pay them could ever, not even in their wildest dreams, ever decide not to bother paying them.

Some links for you given that you think such a possibility could not have been envisaged back in 2019 and before:

Even a post here from some fella in 2019 going on about the issues. I wonder if he ever managed to get his head around them.............

Nearly 4 years later and still whinging about the same issues............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Point of the post is 4 tenants got away with paying no rent for three whole years! Laws need to change. Nobody should be allowed to be under someone else roof without paying for 3 years nevermind 4 adults. This was no single mother scenario with few kids.

If landlord was charging 1000 eur pe month for the rent, these 4 adults would have still not paid a penny.

There should be in place a section in guards station who deal with these cases. If you pay as landlord so much tax, at least there should be some service officers who deal with removing these scum out off your property simple as.

Living the life

The tenants still owe the landlord the money. They most definitely played the system and were assisted by covid etc.

(Whether he can get it from them is a different matter)

• Advertisement

I’ll take a ban for this:

You are a moron with no concept of what being a LL is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

Nobody should be allowed to be under someone else roof without paying for 3 years nevermind 4 adults.

If you own a house and don't pay your mortgage, it can take up to 10 years for a bank to reposes a house. Why should renters be treated any different ? As I posted yesterday, FF/FG are under the same impression.

The Tánaiste said property rights of landlords are not “absolute” when asked if the ban would breach the constitutional rights of property owners who want to sell up their houses and have to evict tenants to do so.

“When it comes to constitutional issues, it’s always been the case in Ireland that property rights are subject to the common good, they’re not absolute.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

As an earlier poster tipped, you can just go in and mute the profile and not have to read the endless spam (except when others reply to the posts).

When the property crash hit, many many property owners were bailed out directly and indirectly by the rest of society. Pressure was put on banks to facilitate restructuring of loans. Rules were changed so that banks could pretend that houses were still worth far more than they were (which meant that other actions such as repossessions were not triggered)

A blast from the past:

The obvious answer to that is that both situations are wrong, if you don’t pay your mortgage, the bank should be able to recover the asset in a much shorter period. In addition, the bank can then sell the asset to recover most of the money owed. LLs on the other hand have no hope of recovering what they are owed.

I guess I'll never know what "being a landlord is about". Presumably some kind of spiritual, metaphysical journey to enlightenment. 😉

I already have, unfortunately, to my frustration with myself, I got drawn in when I read a quoted post. He really is a head wrecking idiot.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement