Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK will finally off shore illegal asylum seekers crossing the channel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Illegal immigrants are not shown in your stats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I struggling to see what this has got to do with the The Rwanda policy, but 98% of people who cross the Channel in small boats claim asylum claimed asylum, that's from the UK governments own figures.

Sending around 200 asylum seekers to Rwanda every year is going to save feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Do you honestly think the British government know every boat that crosses the channel??

If every country in the EU decided to Offshore asylum seekers the numbers would soon dramatically drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Maybe so, but at least they see its a problem and are trying to do something unlike the useless shower we have running the country who want to let in every Tom Dick and Harry that shows up.

Oh and a Justice Minister who thinks its a good thing when there are no deportations.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the numbers still coming wouldn't, no.

so it's an expensive failed policy designed to appeal to dipshits with not a single brain cell between any of them.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Wish France would restrict all small launches from the north coast.

Of course that would mean the issue stays in France rather than moving on to UK. And they did set out for UK, so I can understand why France doesnt close off the beaches altogether.

Rwanda is the most practical solution seen so far. If theres no deterrant or control theyll just keep coming. Some genuine, some chancers, some dangerous.

And some will die horribly. As recently.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

trying to do something about it, no .

if they wanted to do something about it they would do what grown up countries would do.

employ sufficient staff to gather evidence, hear cases and make a decision on whether one has a right to remain or not.

even we manage to do that.

all the racist rwanda policy is about is the nasty party pissing away as much money as they can to appeal to their little far right knuckle dragger voter base at the expense of the majority of the british people and the country's public services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭uptherebels

And how exactly do you propose that they shut down the northern coast of France to every small boat launch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There is no law against 'leaving' a country. Immigration laws simply don't cover it and it would actually be against international law to try and prevent someone leaving their territory (whenever people in dinghies are intercepted by the French, it's not not that they are being detained or arrested....it is simply if the authorities feel the boat journey is too dangerous and they are being rescued).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Any movement of refugees to South Georgia would still require royal assent from the current monarch, King Penguin.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,391 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

More to the point, why? France is not a prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

With permits and the police/gendarmerie, navy and customs service.

Obviously.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

Nonsense.

A country has the right to tell you where you may leave from/arrive to. Its how we fight drug and people smuggling. And why we have passports.

In any case theres nothing to stop a govt declaring a particular area off limits, this already happens on the French coast for ecological preservation, if you access certain beaches you'll be fined and turned back. France decides those areas unilaterally.

France can make the more popular launch points subject to an emergency legal decree if it so decides. Or make large swathes into a sort of area 51 if so decided.

None of this prevents you leaving.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

So your solution essentially boils down to France making it illegal for anyone to access huge swathes of their north coast and then rigorously policing it?

Why don't the UK just make it illegal to access anywhere on their south coast and rigorously police it? I bet Brighton will love it when they have to shut all their beaches.

Well its my wish, yes. (Im not going to say its the complete "solution", but Im sure it would certainly help.)

Temporarily, and with a permit available for exceptions.

Lets remember, dozens of people are dying. If this werent a political issue everyone would agree. People dying, emergency situation in this area, number of people increasing, shut it down for a bit.

By the way, whats your solution? Open door? Okay heres several thousand random people. Is one of them a serial chomo and/or war criminal, lets wait and see. In ye come.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,391 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Hasn't worked so far. When a strategy has been shown not to work, doing the same thing only harder is rarely a good idea.

The problem here is that the disincentives created by policing the cost to interdict departures in small boats are outweighed by the incentives that UK government policy creates to make the crossing in small boats. If you want to reduce small boat crossings, it's the incentives created by UK policy that you need to tackle.

What I wished for hasn't been tried yet.

Although yes, repeating the same unsuccessful behavior is not a good idea. Such as with the present system which has seen many fatalities and an increase in numbers.

Thus I wish France would throw a giant spanner in the works, and block them before they can even get sand on their shoes. Keep it up until the fad dies down enough and new strategies can be developed to prevent it becoming a trend again.

I agree with your point about the uk incentivizing them to come, and it always frustrated the piss out of me to see Brits blaming France for an issue which is primarily between the UK and the immigrant who has set out to reach the UK in the first place.

• Advertisement

Asylum processing in France or legal routes for people to arrive in UK. Considering the overwhelming majority of those who end up applying are granted asylum this would be by far the best way of reducing deaths if that is the actual concern.

There already are legal means to emigrate to the UK.

🙄

Not for those who are attempting these crossings. Refugees and asylum seekers don't generally have tens of thousands of cash on hand and a job lined up in the UK. Don't be ridiculous.

The UK simply does not want to take in any refugees full stop - as we can see from their utterly pathetic implementation of the Afghan refugee policy which has seen not a single refugee admitted to the country.

Maybe because their south coast is already subject to thousands of illegals entering, often unidentified.

As for the actual topic, and those already waiting to attempt to cross the channel, this Rwanda policy should be used as much as possible. Then I suppose those who cant be sent there will just have to be dealt with under the current failed system, i.e. given a hotel room, visa and cash, on the taxpayers unlimited tab.

And thats why I wish France would just nuke the whole option. No leaving on that route without permission.

Cant die in the channel because the traffickers dinghy cant leave or make it to UK waters.

Now tell it to all the other welfare shoppers back home. Until this whole sh1tfest dies down.

Same deal with North African countries, and if they dont want to comply we should encourage them until they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Offshoring has worked for Australia. Numbers of migrants arriving on boats and migrants dying have both plummeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It seems like you are looking for France to implement a policy which would be highly unpopular and contentious amongst their citizens (needing a permit to do a bit of leisure sailing/fishing/motorboating on their beaches during the pleasant days of next Spring), just to fix up a UK problem which I'd guess has gained little or no traction in France.

You said in an earlier post that it frustrates you to see the UK blaming the French for an issue which is purely between UK and prospective immigrant. I'm struggling to see the difference between accepting that France shouldn't be blamed, yet also suggesting France should introduce such a draconian policy on their own citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Maybe the french should deploy their military forces to put an end to this, helicopters and surveillance aircraft,drones and small armed boats ,if they see boats being prepared they shoot them,boats won't be going anywhere full of holes ,

The English in return should rent a cruise ship to be stationed in the channel any one gets picked up or rescued gets taken to the cruise ship or ships and deported without ever setting foot inside the uk

Highly unpopular among some people, briefly. Yes.

This is what I wish would happen, however I dont propose it. Its a real bad idea to try to sell an idea on this site.

You could suggest regularly drinking water on this site, and yet still be met with howls and stupidity. How will I drink me tea if Im already drinking water.

You do know that some of us cant carry around a glass throughout the day.

No, no. Drinking water is a wef plot. Its correlated with bloodclots.

factually incorrect, yet it still keeps being claimed otherwise by those in support of such a failed, expensive racist policy.

• Advertisement

you can propose ideas away, but if those ideas are dum, like yours, then you will be told so.

france isn't going to waste their time helping out a country that has constantly insulted them, blamed them for something that isn't their problem or that they are responsible for, all because the country blaming them has become a failed state and won't grow up and govern itself.

quite right as well, i'm with the french.

Advertisement