Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda break door down but haven't contacted me once 3 weeks later

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭spakman

They were responding to a call that someone inside was in danger of killing themselves, or had already done so.

On that basis. I don't think the guards did anything wrong by forcing entry.

However, they absolutely should have followed up with you or the landlord to explain what happened.

Exactly. All they need to do is find details on their system, but I've been told twice it isn't on their system, yet, I'm 99.99% sure all these neighbours saying it happened aren't lying. Why isn't it on their system. I do have the name of one of the Guards and I do know he exists. I haven't been able to get hold of him. The entire protocol, if there is one, stinks. I do feel there is some vital bit of info I'm not aware of right now that will piece all this together.

100% agreed. This is my main gripe and why I left the door for this long. I did not expect them not to ever make contact and then deny they did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

On a separate note, I don't see why any of this should give rise to

My Christmas is completely ruined. Plans with daughter cancelled. I'm Raging. I'll survive but I can't live peacefully and willing until I get some recompense for this. 

Like, it's a door. It'll get fixed. You won't get 'recompense' beyond the cost of the door being fixed but I'm lost as to why this should ruin your christmas?

Patch it up as best you can, tell your landlord what the deal is and just get on with things.

I hear you but there was no way I was bringing anybody into this environment. It's the reputational damage too, people gossiping and believing mistruths, not so easy to just ignore... If I'd had confirmation from the Guards then yes I would have figured it all out but the fact they deny it happened and I don't know who made the call, and have suspicions of Cyber Security workers in the area...I couldn't get any answers and so it spiralled. The door will be fixed by the landlord but not until new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what part of the country are you in. a few screws and some glue and clamps should get that back to half decent looking and closing enough to keep heat in. any landlord should get it sorted to closing in a day or 2 max and fixed in a week max. probably 1 day if a new door can be got off the shelf. 4post in the diy section and we can help get it some way improved

I appreciate that. I've a mate offered to fix it up this evening. I'll survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The gardai didn't make an error

They acted in good faith on reports that someone may have needed urgent life saving intervention.

The person who reported it to the gardai also acted in utmost good faith.

Get your landlord to fix the damage and be grateful that people care about you

True and I said that from the beginning. The error they made was not explaining anything to me. The person who reported it made an error also. I'm currently on the cusp of finding out exactly who reported it, (not from the Guards.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I mean this in the most compassionate way, do you have a history with mental health? Do you need to check in with your doctor?

I've experience of someone in the cusp of a breakdown suffering with paranoia about cyber hacking.

Your posts are highly emotive, can you speak to a friend or family member to try and talk this put in person?

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

Thank you for your concern but I am fine. I have no history with mental illnesses although I'm sure I could easily be diagnosed with many.

My 'emotive language' is just to explain the situation and story. I've just discovered it is because of this 'emotive language' that the problem manifested in the first place. 'Emotive language' is part of my everyday work. The call to Guards I now know wasn't anything to do with Cyber Hackers in the area. That's not to say people shouldn't be wary of Cyber crime as being unaware costs people more than any other crime these days.

BTW, your post is also very 'emotive'. Why are you a Purple Mountain instead of just a plain old mountain ? Maybe you should see a doctor.

It is 'emotive language' rammed down our throats everyday from politicians; media, marketers, charity scammers, the church...that controls our everyday lives. I'm sorry I'm not a robot. Where would you be without 'emotive language' in entertainments like film, novel, music...

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Username checks out anyway

We are being robotized people! We are human beings! We have to fight to stay this way. This 'woke' world is a blip in humanity brought on by the rise of the internet, a tool being misused in so many ways.

The Guards were still wrong not to have contacted me once.

Bring back good old 90s mentality.

Post edited by hullaballoo on

Is this a screen grab from your own phone?

Because it really, really looks like you told your neighbours you were going to kill yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Augme

Neighbours? Sounds like he went off on one on some bookies chat site and they are the ones who called the Guards.

Correct. I'm gonna get pelters now but for full disclosure: I lost all my login details of all my utilities etc after a laptop reset due to fan issues which is were I was when the door was busted in, getting it repaired, and i couldn't rem my set up email on this one. I was put on hold for about 3 hours going from one person to another being asked the same question, getting nowhere, and I commented that I was 'losing the will to live' out of befuddlement at their inept ability to find my account based on info I gave them. I didn't think anything about it after because I got the set-up email in 5 mins the next time I tried. What they did was a complete overreaction by a disgruntled worker who didn't care for my emotive language...completely unnecessary incident that would never have happened 10 years ago. Where are we going as a society?

The Guards should have contacted me though.

Yeah it sort of does.

Context really would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I don't believe they rammed your door for any other reason than a surprise drugs bust. The emergency services would have the number of the caller who managed to get the cops out of their car and fetch the battering rams. You were only gone 2 hours,

Your story would be interesting to read, if you had just said the truth.

I presume they didn't find the main stash? That would be a lot more than your 800 snots for your front door.

I never blamed a guard for doing his job, we are all paying for it.

Did you get a charge sheet yet? I would plead guilty on anything under an ounce around the gaff, get it done and more often than not you will only see processing time.

Did you raise your voice and attempt to get in their faces? That **** has never ever worked, its' patronising.

The other thing is if you plead guilty you have to cough up for your door yourself. That thing is open 3 weeks now, you may forget any notions of some handyman numpty from your local copshop calling around with a measuring tape , dream on. The Gards are out busting someone else now, door and all. They are psychos, everyone knows this, why waste any more time on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭satguy

Snipes like this, is what is killing the site.

New posters just wont bother, and go elsewhere..

• Advertisement

They have done that a lot recently tbf, no warrants, no arrests, no apologies when wrong. Not on this occasion as you would know if you read the thread but I could get on board with your last comment for a few of them for sure.

No offence or anything but you seem to be mad to blame everyone else but yourself.

The poor kid in the call centre was probably freaked out, did you ever think about that? And why do you think he/she was "disgruntled" just because they were concerned for your welfare?

Seriously, you have blown this up to be waaaay more than it needs to be. Go down to Woodies, get some Tec7, fix the door and try to relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

it’s the woke generations fault your door hasn’t been fixed in three weeks

I think Jim was right

In all seriousness, that is just wrong. There was nothing terrible said and if the initial worker had done his job correct, like when I tried the next time, none of this would have manifested.

Again, the door just a door, its the fact the Guards never told me what happened caused the confusion in the preceding weeks/ All this was avoidable if there was a correct procedure. Nobody has even mentioned that there is no procedure in place. You can't just batter somebodies door and tell them nothing unless you're a criminal. How is the aftermath of their action considered looking after someone's welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Was thinking it might have just been a Welfare Check but with the subsequent introduction of cyber criminals I'm not so sure. Not sure why a battering ram was used and by the looks of that door, it could be kicked in quite easily.

I never said that ever. You did. You're being too emotive. I didn't fix the door because I didn't feel it was my responsibility and I still don't, and the Guards should have told me what happened. I standby that. Its this 'woke' mentality that set-off in this worker's mind that he must take way over the top actions in what was a nothing situation and comment made. The Guards reaction also was more to protect themselves than me, like the worker, its more to do with self/business/organisation-preservation than people's welfare (on a lot of occasions.) Anybody with half a bit of common sense would have copped-on to the situation. The worker thought I was going to kill myself because of an account closed 10 years ago when I was telling him no I was using the account a day ago...just plain stupid decision on his part.

Actually very sturdy doors. It took half a dozen rams is what I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Augme

You told a call centre rep for a gambling site that you were losing the will to live because you couldn't get access to your betting account. Lol. It's hardly surprising they rang the guards after a declaration like that. I mean seriously, it should be absolutely obvious why they would need to act in that situation, even purely from a risk management point of view. Try and have a bit more cop on next time OP.

You've never expressed frustration before ? You must be a saint. Dialect and language are essentially the same thing, noises out of your mouth, context is important. I expressed befuddlement over their inability to access my account through details I gave them, something I got in 5 mins the next time through somebody who knew what they were doing. You got to ask yourself why you would say what you just did...shall I call the cops ?

• Advertisement

But you seem to have tied the door to your basic happiness in life, that's the problem. OK, the door got busted in, we still don't get why your kid can't come over and Christmas is ruined. Twenty euro would have sorted it until a proper repair.

You can't tell some guy on a gambling website that you're going to kill yourself and not expect anything to happen. They would have protocols for exactly this scenario.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement