Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I was just gonna say as I know you live semi close to me that kerrigans in donaghmede have loads of turkey and ham, stuffing etc.

I've been in dunnes on the 27th and they still had turkey and ham stock.

Glad you got sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Glad you got sorted @Loughc , plans changing at the last minute are always stressful. Aldi are selling cooked turkeys and hams this year (maybe they always do??). I have no idea what they're like, but it's a suggestion if you don't feel like cooking the entire dinner.

I'm not long back from the big shop, I was in Dunnes just before 9 and it was busy, but manageable. The one I went to wasn't very festive though, I think I was the only one wearing a Christmas jumper! I also had a Santa Hat hairband on! Oh well, I hope I added to everyone else's festivities!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oh bad luck LoughC!

Living offshore I learned to have frozen back ups.. eg a supervalu turkey and ham dinner in case the weather closes in. And with ME/CFS it gives the peace of mind that enables.

Post edited by Graces7 on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Was in the queue for 40 minutes in Dunnes. Mental but worth it.

I wished everyone I could a merry Christmas and that’s what it’s all about real. Although it’s been stressful, emotional, exhausting it’s the most festive I’ve felt all year! 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Oh no @Loughc glad to hear you are getting sorted though

I’m abit frazzled myself think it’s in the air 😂 opened the toy kitchen for the little one and closed it again hopefully we can tackle it this evening when she’s in bed

Got out for a nice walk earlier dropped presents off at the pharmacy, post office was manic didn’t venture in might try before closing I need a voucher for tomorrow, picked up flowers for my mam

I should be doing something but going to try chill for an hour watch something festive on tv with a coffee while the little one naps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Just drove through Dunnes in Donaghmede and had to drive back out. No parking at all.

I went to Tesco in Clare Hall and it's so busy, but still plenty of parking.

I was there at 8:10 and it was busy. Only small trolleys left which was a pain as I'd to get nappies and loo roll so that was pretty much the trolley full.

Queue was a disaster probably 30-40 mins in that.

Left around 10 and carpark was full people parking on the small grass banks in the carpark though there were a few spots in the carpark behind boots.

Got home and remembered what I forgot 😂😂😂😂 I live walking distance from Aldi and dunnes so a saunter tmw might be on the cards.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Great to hear you got sorted buddy. Even better to hear you have flipped it round and seeing/feeling the positive side of it.

Safe journey whenever you are heading off.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,495 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Really need to catch up on this thread need. Currently watching The Holiday and need to finish off decorating the hall. It's always done last because the cats can kill the decorations in it.

I posted Christmas cards to our cats Today I included the Eircode. I don't know will it confuse the postwoman or embarrass my mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I didn't want any of you lot worrying about me over Christmas so just to let you know I did get my Christmas bonus today so now can buy my wife a present, Phew!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Amazing this is the first proper 'eve eve eve night out' since 2019

Got some bad news today about a family member. A lot of tradions won't be possible and never will be again but that's life I suppose. The memories will live on no doubt

Amazing too see all the good spirits again and not all doom and gloom

• Registered Users Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Definitely on the wind down now. Palmerston House was alright last night. Not as good since they ditched the "train" which was a huge part of the fun and also the homeliness of what they used to do. Now you drive down a laneway, park the car and they lead you up an, albeit nicely lit, path to the second house where you see Santa. It's all a bit rushed and "pack em in". Loved it in 18 and 19 but not sure if we'll go back next year.

City centre was mayhem this afternoon. Drive in but got parking beside the concert Hall and then did some last minute shopping and dinner before we brought the kids to the Concert Hall this evening for "The Magic of Christmas". Fabulous evening and the kids loved it. We really do have a great Symphony Orchestra and the kids' choir were brilliant

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh @Loughc - the stress! Especially when you're not expecting to have to get everything. 😯 I hope your sister's husband is okay and not too ill.

As the guys have said, as long as you have Mrs Loughc and baby Loughc, that's the important thing. I'm glad you got sorted and stocked up. 🙂

I finally got all my Christmas food this evening and got most of what I wanted/needed. Was planning to do it yesterday, but had to postpone because I was tending to a sick relative.

I wanted the prepared parsnips ready to put in the oven, and Tesco didn't have them, but they had the goose fat roast potatoes in the tray, so that's something. Roasts are a chore, so I always try and cheat with them when I can. 😂

Got cranberry, apricot and clementine stuffing and their 'finest' apple and cranberry stuffing balls, as well as traditional sage and onion. Can't beat a load of stuffings. 😁 Picked up my spiced beef, and got the main event, the turkey. I just got a bronze crown stuffed with a winter berry stuffing. MOAR stuffing. 😂

I did the scan as you shop, so only took about 5 minutes to check out. Tesco in Artaine Castle was busy, but not too mental, luckily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭sporina

The shopping came home as planned.. Yesterday was the one calm day this week. A wind howling again now but all snugged in.

I asked for a turkey crown roast but they sent a whole ( medium ) turkey, so this morning careful dissection will take place. Lots of roots so they will be par-boiled tomorrow ready to roast around the turkey..

Cream etc so a lovely trifle. My origins are Lancashire and we always had trifle on special occasions.

I get very traditional....it is a link with my long ago family. "Auld lang syne" . Many smiles at fond memories...

Just a few knitted gold thread bells with real jingles to finish for the ferryman and his brothers. They will be bringing a few bags of turf today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Just catching up on this thread this morning as it's been a busy week. @Loughc I hope you are getting there with the last minute organisation but believe me, sometimes these things can turn into the best Christmas ever. @SCOOP 64 - glad you got your bonus on time. I've been rushing and racing all week as I really wasn't organised at all but we've no smallies so it will be fine. One of the presents i ordered for my oh will not be delivered on time but it will be a nice surprise for him next week. Have to spend today wrapping the last of the presents and orgainsing the Christmas Eve boxes which we still give to our girls and giving the house a quick once over before the big prep starts tomorrow morning. Have a great day everyone, it's Christmas Eve eve.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

• Advertisement

Stormbound out here so deeply thankful the shopping was done yesterday. This was the only truly viable day this last while.

So my tree and window lights are shining out on the dark skies as the gale howls and heavy rain batters the windows...

Remembering the old Irish tradition of a candle in the window on dark nights to bid travellers there is a welome here..

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 30,495 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A belated Happy Birthday @Loughc, @BK5 and everybody else I missed during the year.

Also, sorry to hear your plans are messed up @Loughc and same to others who are in the same position.

Hope ye all are enjoying ye're holidays if your on them and that ye're all sorted for Christmas.

We finished decorating, wrapped my presents on my bed.(Not my best work) I didn't label them and hope I remember who there for.)

Turkey, etc sort during a Dunnes shop on Wednesday. Just a few small bits to get now. I think my mother is demented my father is helping her get the final few things. (He's like Frank [Spencer helping.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Happy Christmas Eve Eve

very wet day out there in north county Dublin, a few bits still to be caught potatoes, turnip, fresh bread etc collect Turkey and ham in the morning

more cleaning now abit of wrapping to be finished up il try turn in something Christmassy while I do that, heading to friends in the afternoon for a get together

OH got home early yesterday so got a head start on cleaning the house, a visit to my Mams then a lovely Chinese for dinner, we got the kitchen made up for the little one almost done last night

Have a great day everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Pistachio19

Horrible windy and wet day in the North West. Walked out of my bedroom to a very strong smell of alcohol this morning. Came down to ask my 11 year old if he was drunk as he shares a room with his older brother and I feared inhaling the fumes may have had youngest staggering around the place. Oh to be 21 again, rolling in the door at 4 am without a care in the world.

Have a few bits to get today despite being in the shop most days this week. Daughter is making desert so gave me a list of ingredients. Think I'll wait til this evening to go and hope it will be quiet then. Tonight we'll have our annual tradition of watching National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Afternoon all

Just back from a funeral (work colleague’s Dad-92 died in his sleep peacefully) was sad and made me think of the important things.

Off home to spend day with the kids watching Christmas movies and starting into the treats.

Have a good one guys and stay safe out there, weather is horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

Poor Santa 🎅🏻 my dog is responsible for this, really thought I was home & dry as far as the dog & Christmas tree was concerned as he usually keeps his distance from the tree, but arrived back from a quick trip to the shop to find this. The guilty culprit is now sitting by my side trying to make up for it as knows he did wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Was just in Pavilions there, the queues in Dunnes was torture. Anyway, all sorted now and I'm not going near a shop again for a while.

At home watching the darts now, before heading out for dinner and some pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Blanchardstown centre...that would be my worst nightmare!

• Advertisement

Advertisement