Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling the grand canal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Yep - have done it a couple of times the last few weeks - nothing happening there. Its fairly rough with dried out ruts making it bumpy ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

Its interesting to hear about sallins planned for July, I tried ardclough to sallins a few weeks back on the road bike and theres nothing done. a little tricky, probably would recommend a mountain bike. It was a lot of fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

From Edenderry to Daingean today. I got quite annoyed with the number of gates built. By all means have sets say 20m East and West of all road junctions to keep horses, motorcycles etc out, but a second pair tight to the tow path under each bridge was uncalled for. Such traffic calming on the long level is a bit ott. Further construction should revisit this build pattern.

They do read this thread, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

You'd wonder if the council was called out would they do anything about it.

SDCC got in trouble for the gates installed on the dodder greenaway as they were not suitable for access for all. So they are all being removed in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

As a Northsider, I'm a lot more familiar with the Royal Canal as I cycle and walk sections of it fairly frequently. The Grand has been a bit of a mystery so I decided I would explore some of the nearer wilder sections on the bike last Monday. I started from just beyond Adamstown on the R120 and headed west to Robertstown. I knew a gravel bike would be more suitable but, in the absence of same, relied on my Cannondale Synapse with 28mm tyres.

The first 4.5km to Hazelhatch was certainly wild and a good test of the Synapse's flexibility and my concentration. After a longish dry period, the surface was rock hard with a narrow bumpy clay strip running through the grass. Keeping up any kind of decent average was hard on the body and the bike. The next 6.5km to Ponsonby Bridge beyond Ardclough was the other extreme being either compacted grit or tarmac with the slight disadvantage of sharing the narrow road with the odd car or two. 6km of relatively flat clay and grass brought me to Sallins and a very welcome coffee and scone. I was able to average about 20km/h on this without too much bouncing around. The next 4km to Digby Bridge was paved but but with plenty of potholes from what I remember before a km of clay to Landenstown, another km of roadway with the final 5km or so to Robertstown being relatively smooth clay and grass.

A few observations:

• with the exception of the first stretch to Hazelhatch, 28mm tyres were fine but only because of the effects of the dry spell. I would imagine it would be a verry different story when wet.
    • a number of the gates/barriers were worse than any on the Royal and I had to lift the bike over a few.
    • the considerable growth along the verge meant that the canal couldn't actually be seen on some of the stretches.
    • along most of the 29km the towpath seemed relativey wide with plenty of space for a paved cyclepath.
    • there was no sign anywhere of any works being carried out on this section.
    • the 17km to Sallins took about an hour (with photo-stops) and the remaining 12km to Robertstown another 40mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I was down it recently, still not clear on many bridges which side you should be on as you progress

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FinnC

It’s disappointing that they haven’t even looked like starting the 12th lock to Hazelhatch Section.I understood it was to be finished by the end of the summer this year. I wonder what the hold up is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭cletus

Went for a bit of a spin along the Barrow way today, partly to see what progress there is.

First, there's a sign up at Rathangan listing out each of the Kildare sections

Next, the section from Umeras bridge has been started, but it's only a couple hundred metres of the hardcore base

It very quickly turns back to this

The section from Monasterevin to half way Fisherstown bridge is open from the Monasterevin side, but the barrier is still up where the Bolnagree road meets. It also doesn't have a top dressing yet.

I took no photos here, as I had a puncture at this stage, and had to walk the bike back to the main road at Monasterevin

Not sure if there's a separate thread on this but I commuted using the grand canal yesterday.

adamstown to city centre in the morning.

I only did this as I met a neighbour of mine on the way in who said it was much improved in the morning.

and it was fine. still in the evening I felt a lot more apprehensive. lots of vaguely dodgy folk around on ebikes and scooters. There were 2 guards patrolling on bikes which was welcome.. I'm still not sure if I'd use it regularly in the evening especially as the light fades

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

From Daingean to Tullamore today, warm, flat and sunny. There's a huge amount of it has road-bike friendly surfaces on both sides of the canal, albeit mixing with (non existing) car traffic on one side.

Question 1: How road-bike friendly is the stretch from Tullamore through Pullagh to Shannon Harbour?

Question 2: Is there anything worth seeing on the Kilbeggin branch (dry/disused). What size tyres are required?

• Advertisement

Quick update on the Barrow Way sections near me.

The section from Umeras bridge to McCartney's bridge has the sub base laid about halfway, and then it's grass (muck) to McCartney's.

From McCartney's to Shepard's brook bridge (or the High bridge, if you're local) looks to have top dressing in place and ready to be opened, but it's still fenced off both ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Entrance to the sallins portion of the canal are closed for works. There's a way in and out passed some of the cabins but I'd try not to enter during working hours as there's heavy machinery in operation.

The first section from sallins to just before ardclough is a bit of a mud bath at the minute. From there to hazelhatch is fine. Hazelhatch to adamstown is less mucky than sallins to ardclough but pretty slippy with mud all over the little rocks. Adamstown to dolphins barn is all paved.

The above is what you'll see as you enter into the canal and have passed the construction section of works.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FinnC

Have they actually started the Lucan to Sallins route? Is this the start of it above from the Sallins end?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Some of those tracks are mine from yesterday.

As I went through I was wondering how it would be during "working hours". I don't remember seeing a "closed" sign as I went through the gate. Though there was someone parked across it 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭tnegun

I saw some signs up for this closure today https://afloat.ie/inland/inland-waterways/item/56905-grand-canal-greenway-closure-between-locks-8-and-9-for-services-works anyone know what the services are or more importantly what the detour route is?

Signs and fencing were put up today but the path was still accessible I guess it will be closed properly in the next few days. There was no sign of the traffic management plan or diversion route though.

The towpath is completely closed between Parkwest/Fox and Geese and the 9th lock in Clondalkin. There are no diversion signs to follow or any attempt to accommodate canal users part of the footpath on the Nagor road was also closed today with no safe crossing. I pity someone not familiar with the area too it would be easy enough to get lost trying to find your way back to the canal depending on which way you turn at either closure.

Yep agreed. came across this on Thursday. What I did was went left at killeen road, and back onto the canal there.

But overall I'll be giving this route a miss for the next while.

It's a disaster heading outbound this evening the layout and traffic on the Nangor road makes it difficult/dangerous to try to turn right on 9th lock road to rejoin the canal. The footpath on the canal side of the Nangor road is actually closed as part of these works for the same distance again with little signage or accommodation for displaced users. So much for promoting active travel this is a key artery into the city and a large section has been closed with zero regards for its users.

Agreed - who is the responsible body here? OPW? DCC?

It looks like the usage of this route for commuting is just not factored in..

• Advertisement

I submitted a complaint on the Waterways Ireland page but got no reply. I also mentioned the amount of leaves on the path that should be removed as its very bad in places. The junction with the 9th lock road is particularly bad insult to injury they cleaned the closed section a week or so ago!

agreed it isnt safe if a bike has to swerve. the leaves are quite slippy.

Ill send in a complaint myself

Are they completing/working towards Dublin?

I presume the plan to to complete as far as the border, but according to the article above, your looking at 9 months to go, best case 1.6 miles, worst case ⅔ of a mile.

Even if there was a mistake in the article, and they're going to Killeen golf course, not Naas golf course, that's probably still just shy of 3 miles, although it would make more sense (there's a bridge with exits from the canal path to the road)

Barrow line, section from McCartney's bridge to Monasterevin has finally opened. That just leaves Umeras bridge to McCartney's bridge to be completed, and you'll be able to go from Robertstown to at least Vicarstown Vis the Greenway (not sure if there's sections between there and Athy to be completed)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Vicarstown to Milltown bridge is done, work has commenced on the final few kms from Milltown bridge to Athy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Not my pic but I would have loved to have done this again in the recent cold snap if I hadnt been stuck in work and dying of that chest thing everyone has atm:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Which lock # is that?

Super pic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Google says "A frosty winter’s morning at Boland’s Lock on the Grand Canal in Tullamore"

Advertisement